It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 am 

I'm tempted to say that now might be the time to do some outreach. I, personally, am kind of in the periphary when it comes to magic; I don't have presence on any other M:tG forums or, what do people use these days, subreddits? But like the old Skibo contests we could put out a call for submissions, while including a few stories of our own. I haven't had a huge output since my creative cycles have been going to things like novels and anime reviews but I absolutely could work up a tale for Eldraine....

Actually, here me out on this: what if we the present members of the M:EM conspired to create an Arthur-style myth arc set in Eldraine, something like the Lancelot-Grail cycle or what have you, where we hammer out the beats of the story together but then each write an episode individually, giving it the impression of a found document or a collected tale. We would use this as the 'spine' of the Anthology, and include our top picks from externally solicited submissions to give it meaningful flesh and explore more of the strange and varied bits of Eldraine.

I believe we still have the expertise in our number to create an ebook PDF, so if we were able to actually get some input for it, I don't think it's impossible that we could get "Beyond the Great Henge: An Eldraine Fanfiction Anthology" off the ground, and it just might drum up some interest to expand our ranks, even if just by a person or two. IMO the main barrier to generating an anthology is simply that we don't have the bulk, not that we don't have the will or the know-how.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
y'all need a folk song about an Arthurian figure? 'cause I (with potentially Raven's help) can 100% write you a folk song about an Arthurian figure.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Not that up to date about Eldraine's story, looked at the cards tho. I'd be interested in any collab project we came up with.

Would my Dragon's Blood be acceptable as a retroactive entry? I put it up to vote as a Wyndelmyr story (Rimarra's home plane) because of the subverted fairy tale theme, but since there are dragons in Eldraine too, I don't think it'd need many changes to work. (maybe changing the King/Prince titles? Dunno what's up with Eldraine's royalty)

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:30 pm 

I'll be perfectly honest: I don't like Eldraine. Like, pretty much at all.

I feel they went MASSIVELY overboard with the fairy tale references. I get that it's the fairy tale plane, but it feels to me that there is virtually no unique content whatsoever. Practically every card I've seen from the set is a specific reference to a real-world fairy tale or story. Why couldn't they have created their own fairy tales that were similar to real-world ones, yet still distinct? This whole thing just strikes me as one extended "wink, wink, nudge, nudge," like the designers are almost screaming in our faces "DO YOU GET THE REFERENCE? HUH? GET IT? IT'S A REFERENCE!!!" A few scattered references would have been cute; this I find borderline insufferable.

To me, Lorwyn was the way to do a fairy tale setting. It felt like a "real" plane that was based off of fairy tales rather than a bunch of fairy tales cobbled together to make a plane.

I am very fond of fairy tales in general, as well as the Robin Hood and Arthur legends, but this is just too much for my tastes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:01 am 

I feel that all of their original creative energy went into the Arthurian side of the set, so the fairy tale side was left behind. I seem to recall from the announcement video that the creative team was just generally more interested in the courts.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:23 am 

This is what the logical end game was when Innistrad became a success.
Mind you, I think Eldraine is a very very pretty set, but I've long been a detractor of how on the nose the references were.

But it's, ironically, also why I want to see an anthology, because they were so slavish to the source material, it makes me curios how we could deconstruct or subvert a tale based on a single snap shot of a single element.

Lorwyn had some good ideas in design, but it was a LOT worse for the execution purely because they swerved too hard into the experimental elements.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 am 

The problem I always had with Lorwyn as the Fairy Tale Plane was that it was split into Lorwyn (the "Disneyfied" world where everything was bright and happy) and Shadowmoor (the dark and everything is deadly world), and didn't leave a good middle ground. I wanted to see a plane that could support both a giant's cloud castle reached by beanstalk and Baba Yaga's hut on chicken legs, star money rewarding kindness on one hand and folks getting baked into pies on the other. While I do admit that Eldraine has a bit of what I might call the Theros problem with on-the-nose references, it's a little bit closer.

In between Lorwyn and now I got down to playing the CCG Force of Will, and I think it spoiled me for treatment of Fairy Tale material because, well "Fairy Tale" is probably the best supported tribal in the game. Many of the cards representing Fairy Tale entities are very on the nose, but they sell it in context by having Fairy Tale type creatures being entities literally born out of stories... and sometimes the same story can be told a different way, resulting in different and sometimes very variant or even unique versions. For instance, there are at least three Cinderellas in as many colors with very different mechanics, but in story they're being summoned by different tale tellers. But, I digress -- the point was that, purely going by the cards (so I don't know if the novel or an article contradicts that read) I got the feeling that many of the fairy tales in Eldraine were kind of like that. The Great Henge looks a hell of a lot like some kind of portal, it seems to leak otherworldly influence into the land (as mentioned in a flavor text or two), and almost all the fairy tale flavor texts are attributed to "Beyond the Great Henge", so I got the impression that things on the other side might be literally playing out according to narrative logic. Feel free to correct me, I'd love to be clear on what if anything we know about the Henge.

But I super digress. Eldraine is without a doubt a flawed product, but I agree with Barinellos's initial assessment that it would make good fodder to work with. And to the later idea, there were a lot of Innistrad stories that went against the grain of what their keynote cards initially suggested, playing with the idea.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 am 

In between Lorwyn and now I got down to playing the CCG Force of Will, and I think it spoiled me for treatment of Fairy Tale material because, well "Fairy Tale" is probably the best supported tribal in the game. Many of the cards representing Fairy Tale entities are very on the nose, but they sell it in context by having Fairy Tale type creatures being entities literally born out of stories... and sometimes the same story can be told a different way, resulting in different and sometimes very variant or even unique versions. For instance, there are at least three Cinderellas in as many colors with very different mechanics, but in story they're being summoned by different tale tellers.

Why hello there Fate/Stay

But nah, I think it's great that any number of lovecraftian entities are adorable girls in that game.

Quote:
But I super digress. Eldraine is without a doubt a flawed product, but I agree with Barinellos's initial assessment that it would make good fodder to work with. And to the later idea, there were a lot of Innistrad stories that went against the grain of what their keynote cards initially suggested, playing with the idea.

When you know what something is, it becomes much easier to do what it is not.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself

we can only approach literary perfection, but we can never achieve it

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
...Where did that fascinating excerpt come from?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm 

"Naughty was a nice little boy" might be over of the best things I've ever read.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:21 pm 

I'm a pretty big fan of Lor/Moor in general, though I admit it's certainly not perfect. But I liked that it swerved so far, because it felt more real to me. It felt like a planeswalker might have, at some point in Earth's past, wound up there, and then wound up here, and that 'walker's vague stories of the place sowed the ideas for our fairy tales. Eldraine, on the other hand, feels like, well, like a bunch of trading card game designers wanted to make a plane about our fairy tales. :/

The problem I always had with Lorwyn as the Fairy Tale Plane was that it was split into Lorwyn (the "Disneyfied" world where everything was bright and happy) and Shadowmoor (the dark and everything is deadly world), and didn't leave a good middle ground. I wanted to see a plane that could support both a giant's cloud castle reached by beanstalk and Baba Yaga's hut on chicken legs, star money rewarding kindness on one hand and folks getting baked into pies on the other. While I do admit that Eldraine has a bit of what I might call the Theros problem with on-the-nose references, it's a little bit closer.

I definitely agree that, as a setting, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor would have benefitted from being the same plane at the same time. To me, fairy tales are sort of at their most interesting when they themselves have a mix of Disney and Grimm. I love those stories that start off in the bright, sunny world, only to see it slowly dissolve into the bleak, desolate, thumb-severing stories we all know and love.

Regarding Eldraine, I have not looked into it enough to make a final value judgment on it, but so far, I just haven't seen much that appeals to me. Aaarrrgh mentioned that the creative team was particularly interested in the courts, and I'm just sort of...not. I mean, in general I enjoy court intrigue stuff and I wouldn't mind creating my own plane around that concept, but with this plane I just sort of don't care.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm 

I feel like the best thing Eldraine did was make all of the colors equal when it came to the courts. The black knights are just cool, and (for the most part), they are not evil!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:15 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I feel like the best thing Eldraine did was make all of the colors equal when it came to the courts. The black knights are just cool, and (for the most part), they are not evil!

To be fair, Black Knights were always cool...

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 pm 

Yeah, but were they Belle of the Brawl cool?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:

It's a close call; they're both pretty good.

Better than some other knights, who really mist the mark...

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Aaarrrgh wrote:

wait that can't really be the flavor text, can it?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 pm 

Identity: Human
I want to add my two cents to the conversation, but I am going to try to keep my words brief, to not spill into a long rant.

Firstly, I only looked at Eldraine once, when it was announced and about a dozen card art had been spoiled. It holds none of my interest because I see little value in it, conceptually. "Here's our fantasyland interpretation of X real-world mythos" are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, and even when I was deep into Magic, I stepped away during Lor/Moor and Innistrad because that's not why Magic captured my imagination. Ravnica captured my imagination. Mirrodin captured my imagination. Time-Spiral-era Dominaria (especially the Slivers), the five shards of Alara, and pre-Eldrazi Zendikar captured my imagination. I think Magic is at its best when it's creating whimsical worlds that are unique enough to be considered their own creation, not "Celtic mythology world #6648." You might as well have called it A Kid Planeswalker in King Arthur's Court.

Beyond my own hang-ups with Magic and Eldraine in particular, I'd be willing to lend technical help in the document creation, as I still have access to (and can probably relearn how to use) several programs to help make ebooks or, possibly, pdfs. For personal reasons, however, I don't feel comfortable right now reading through any stories that may come of this project. I used to take my role as an "editor" around here fairly seriously, but right now I don't feel comfortable offering critique as I used to, so I won't be helping with things like organization and such. It's kind of why I've been absent from any story threads as of late, despite my trying for the last several months to be more active here.

And I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how invincible Black Knights tend to be.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 pm 

@Lord Luna: Yeah, I get where you're coming from. As for feedback/critique, as I always say, pretty much any feedback is nice to hear (well, see, I guess :)) and I wish more people would do that, but I get it, and I wouldn't want anybody here to feel pressured into doing anything they aren't comfortable with.

@Barinellos: Hey, I'll be pretty busy all day tomorrow, so I might not have time to post anything on NGA. So, consider this a pre-emptive "Happy birthday!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 pm 

Huh, thanks.
I'll be truthful, I'm surprised you recalled it was coming up. Not that I thought you'd miss it, I just figured you'd notice it pop up on the bottom of the page.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400  Next