It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uril, the Miststalker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:52 pm 

I'm not sure how much traffic these boards get, but since I know this place I'll post here.

I had an Uril deck a long time ago and I recently wanted to put something together for my wife to play. She likes straightforward aggro decks and I figured a Naya deck could do that. I also hadn't put it together since all the new toys the Theros block gave us, so I wanted to give it a go.

The decks wants to ramp up quickly to start putting out its draw engine and either Uril or another beatstick to Voltron up and smash face. There isn't a whole lot of reactive spells, but the ones I did put in stayed on the enchantment theme (for the most part).

I have the Survival of the Fittest engine in there to fetch creatures, but honestly I'm not sure it fits. It is, of course, amazing card advantage with Squee and gives all my dudes benefits with Brawn and Anger. BUT I often feel like I want to survival for an answer, not a beatstick, and the deck isn't filled with a bunch of utility creatures. Furthermore, most utility creatures aren't enchantment creatures, so it doesn't synergize with the rest of the theme of the deck.

So I'm torn: do I take out the Survival engine and add more cards that are "on-theme." Or do I move more toward a traditional Survival deck that has a bunch of utility creatures and answers?

Commander (1)
1x Uril, the Miststalker

Spoiler

I feel like maybe I'm trying to be too "cute" with both the survival engine and all the nifty enchantment toys. I also feel like I really need to over-commit to make the deck function. One board wipe and it might be hard to recover.

Do I make this deck more of a tool-box deck with survival and the other tutors?

Do I make it a more straightforward aggro deck without survival but more utility?

Do I double down on the enchantment theme but take out survival because it muddies the focus?

Do I do nothing, something else, or mix it up?

I'm honestly not sure which way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 am 

Okay, well, not that anyone checks constructed anymore, but I've landed on the following list (explanations to follow)

Commander (1)
Uril, The Miststalker
Spoiler

So I decided to go a more middle-ground way: not quite full survival-toolbox but also not full enchantment-draw-engine. Hopefully, enough of both to still be effective. So far the deck plays out in one of two ways (which gives me hope): 1) Play an early Uril, enchant with 2-3 auras, and beat face. OR 2) Play survival and bury my opponent with card advantage into beatstick (which could be Uril), and beat face. In either scenario, if Uril or Survival isn't dealt with quickly then it creates lots of problems for my opponent(s).

I've almost completely abandoned the equipment package because it didn't really fit with the theme. I kept basilisk collar because it makes chump blockers deadly, but I'm not convinced it needs to be there.

I'm still tweaking and open to suggestions.

Like this post