It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm 

So in the Keyword Game I came up with this

Tide Tender :2::u:
Creature - Merfolk Shaman
Customize — Before putting Tide Tender into a deck, choose its power and toughness.
:1::u:: Untap Tide Tender.
☐ 1/4 | ☐ 2/3 | ☐ 3/2

the idea being that you'd check off which one you want with a pen and give that copy of the card that P/T permanently. Basically what I wanted to ask is: do you think taking pens to Magic cards is a concept that has legs - not necessarily in this form, of course - or is it just stupid?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
if we're talking real-world usage, I think you'd have a really hard time selling that to an audience. I like the idea in concept, but I think it requires a digital-only platform so you can respec.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think the better implementation would be to make it a double-sided card, with both sides having different P/T. You'd just flip whatever side you want to play with up. That limits you to only two options, of course, but I was going to suggest that anyway for simplicity's sake. You could even get cute and give the two sides slightly different art (like this guy could have one art taking place at high tide and the other side at low).

I don't think writing on cards should ever be encouraged outside of an Un-set, and probably not even there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am 

Identity: Male
Conspiracy had cards that made you secretly name a card before the game began. I think that's the closest we ever came to this concept. That or Riptide Replicator.
Getting to my point, instead of writing on the card why not have the card say "When you first cast a card named ~, choose A B or C. For the rest of the game cards you own named ~ are A, B or C"? You still get to make the semi-permanent choice, but now your card is left pristine.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 am 
YMtC Champ '12

I think I found a solution:

Tide Tender :2::u:
:1::u:: Untap Tide Tender.
1/4

Tide Bender :2::u:
:1::u:: Untap Tide Bender.
2/3

Tide Mender :2::u:
:1::u:: Untap Tide Mender.
3/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 am 
YMtC Champ '08

I agree with Libe. I think that something like just mixing power/toughness isn't really worth the hassle, but something like "decide whether this DFC is Negate or Doom Blade before the game begins" has potential. But then, beyond implementation issues (which could be done with something like a checklist card), this type of mechanic really just sounds like a less fun variant of split cards.

Anyway, people hated the Unglued "tear me apart" cards and I think a mechanic that pretty much requires you to damage your cards isn't going to be very popular either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 am 

I think the conspiracy route is best. Write the value on a separate piece of paper before the game. Done.

It is less cool than the original design because it forces all copies in your deck to be the same, but there's no cleaner way to do it.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am 

Actually, having recently started playing a game of Legacy Risk, I think I know what Mata Hari is going for here. Imagine a draft where, the first time you cast a card, you permanently change it. Or the first time something happens, the card is set. This would have to be a specialty product that wouldn't be legal, funnily enough, even in Legacy play, but could definitely be done as a "Legacy" version of Magic.

So, in that case, I think the best thing would be to sell a box of Magic Cards that are meant to be interacted with. The box would have to contain different and hidden/sealed information that isn't revealed until certain requirements are met. Stickers, markers, and ripped up cards would be the important thing to use. You might have a card that allows you to mark an opponent's card with a -1/-1 sticker. Now that card is smaller PERMANENTLY, for each and every game thereafter! Of course, this would really be meant just for interaction within the realms of the event that it's being played in.

I'd say this would be a fantastic product, but it would certainly be a low-print-run, and would require a higher price/booster pack to make it happen. I think it could be really enjoyable.

"The first time a player's creature gets three marks on it, open this pack:"
(pack contains a special rare for each player in the event that immediately gets added to their hand or deck, and which is unavailable in the regular booster packs)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:38 am 

So what would be the theme of this "Legacy Matters" event-box?

Dominaria and Historic? (cards could be made "Historic" or "Legendary" as the games go on)
Fiora and Conspiracy? (some Conspiracy cards or Monarch-like ability would carry on between games)
Eldrazi/Phyrexian invasion (the box would have an end-game where either the good guys or bad guys win)
Planechase (players would be in charge for their own minor Plane, like Bolas' Meditation Plane)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
This is a bit of a different direction, but what if instead of permanently choosing a mode for each card, you picked a single mode at the start of the game that applied to all of your modal cards?

(If your deck contains crossroads cards, choose freedom or unity after keeping your opening hand.)

Or maybe to avoid issues where people forget to chose one at the start of the game, you choose the first time you cast a crossroads card.

Information Leak
Crossroads Instant (U)
(As you cast your first crossroads card each game, commit to freedom or unity for the rest of the game.)
Freedom: Scry 2, then draw a card.
Unity: Counter target spell unless its controller pays .

I'm imagining a template similar to level up cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm 

Here's the main mechanics that come to my mind;

#1 - Marks
This is the core of Legacy Magic. A "Mark" is a change that has been made to a Magic card. These would be stickers or spots for pen/marker adjustments to cards. The hardest part of this for Magic is in finding ways to incorporate Marks. To me, the answer is simple; French Vanilla -> Vanilla Commons.

Feral Beetle |
Creature - Insect | {C}
{When this creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.}
(When Feral Beetle enters the battlefield, you may remove this mark from it, and attach it to any creature card.)
[2/2]

Hey, look at this! When Feral Beetle first enters the battlefield, it can give +1/+1 to another creature card, or to itself. Nice. But wait, you can then take off the mark and add it (permanently) to any other creature card. You could put this on a creature on the battlefield, but why not add it to another creature card in your hand to get the ability to go off again? Or put it onto a creature you know you want to be bigger each time. Or give it to a creature that already has this same mark and double-up on it!

Walker of Endless Suffering |
Creature - Zombie | {C}
{This creature gets -1/-1 for each other creature on the battlefield.}
(When Walker of Endless Suffering enters the battlefield, you may remove this mark from it, and attach it to any creature card.)
[2/2]

Ouch, now this one hurts! Put this onto an opponent's bomb, and suddenly it's going to hurt them not just this game, but each and every game afterwards. Put this on a small creature, and you might just force them to get rid of that card from their card pool after the game. You're a meanie if you play this.

#2 - Change Game Rules
I imagine these would be more like Conspiracies and Planes. These are cards that change how the game is played. Maybe players start with +5 life, or maybe all lands can be tapped for mana of any colour. But the great thing is, if you're playing around with stickers and modifying cards, then these cards themselves can be modified:

Plans Within Plans
Conspiracy | {U}
You start the game with an additional card, and your maximum hand size is one larger.
Rip up Plans Within Plans : Draw a card.

Conspiracies are great! They give you extra bonuses. But maybe you need a bit more oomph. Maybe that oomph is worth not having the card in the next game? Or maybe there is no next game, because this is the end of the event! Time to rip that Topaz Gambit up, and draw another extra card!

Marked for Death
Conspiracy | {C}
Hidden Agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly choose a card name. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and attach this mark to any creature card.)
{When _____________________ (write the chosen card name here) enters the battlefield, any player may pay . When a player does, destroy that creature.}
{{Whenever a creature dies, each player loses 1 life.}}

Huh? What's with the double-brackets here? Well, my friends, you're now getting to see some of the possible fun of truly HIDDEN information! The double-bracketed information there wouldn't be freely available. If you see the card, you'd only see the first mark on it. The other information would be behind that mark. You could even have cards have different hidden effects, so even if you know what was behind your mark, when someone else plays the same card they may have a different hidden information behind theirs!

#3 - Triggered Phases of the Event
Of course, what would a Legacy game be without the knowledge that there are things that are there, looming, mocking you with your non-understanding?

Box Content:
Open this once a player ends a game with no lands.
((this may be because, in this example, the boxed set includes Eldrazi that have Annihilator))

Each player with more Eldrazi in their deck than Allies randomly adds one of the following cards to their deck, then puts that card into their hand. If that player is not currently playing a game, they add it to their hand at the beginning of the first upkeep during their next game.

Eraser of Yesterdays |
Creature - Eldrazi | {MR}
Annihilator 3
{blank} (When Eraser of Yesterdays enters the battlefield, you may remove this mark from it, and place it over another creature's mark.)
{{When the mark covering this text is removed, take an extra turn after this one.}}
[6/6]

Yeah, this is crazy space.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 pm 

Identity: Male
I like the idea of a "Legacy" MTG set. Making my creature legendary if it lands a killing blow. Adding new colors to my mana rocks. Putting a permanent -1/-1 counter on my opponent's creature. OP cards that you can only put into your deck after a losing streak. Maybe do something with level up cards?
It would really have to be its own stand alone product though. Minimum of 2 (60 card?) decks to get going with it, or enough cards for a draft.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
I like the idea of a "Legacy" MTG set. Making my creature legendary if it lands a killing blow. Adding new colors to my mana rocks. Putting a permanent -1/-1 counter on my opponent's creature. OP cards that you can only put into your deck after a losing streak. Maybe do something with level up cards?
It would really have to be its own stand alone product though. Minimum of 2 (60 card?) decks to get going with it, or enough cards for a draft.

Personally, I think an event box meant for 8 player draft, but sealed compartments in the event box that trigger on certain events occurring.

Like this post