PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 am 

That second ability seems like another instance of Frontline Medic syndrome

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:09 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Being able to draw this card off the Surveil you ditch it with is so incredibly unintuitive to me.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Mown wrote:
Being able to draw this card off the Surveil you ditch it with is so incredibly unintuitive to me.

Wait what

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 pm 

Except you can’t...as it’s still in your library when you do that surveil.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 pm 

Yeah it's an intervening if clause so it would need to be true both when the trigger goes on the stack and when it resolves

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
They confirmed on the Twitch stream where they previewed this that it does trigger when you surveil it into your graveyard. I clipped that part of the stream for reference: https://clips.twitch.tv/DreamyRefinedCasettePJSalt

My best guess would be that the rules check for "when you surveil" triggers at the end of the surveil action, at which point this card is in your graveyard and can trigger.

Edit: I found the relevant rule:
Comprehensive Rules wrote:
603.10. Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions, and continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities are exceptions to this rule; the game “looks back in time” to determine if those abilities trigger, using the existence of those abilities and the appearance of objects immediately prior to the event. The list of exceptions is as follows:

603.10a Some zone-change triggers look back in time. These are leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a card leaves a graveyard, and abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library.
Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability “Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.” Someone casts a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact’s ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner’s graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

603.10b Abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out look back in time.

603.10c Abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached look back in time.

603.10d Abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object look back in time.

603.10e Abilities that trigger when a spell is countered look back in time.

603.10f Abilities that trigger when a player loses the game look back in time.

603.10g Abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane look back in time.

Ignore the exceptions, because this falls under the normal case. After you surveil, the Blood Operative in your graveyard is a new object, so it checks to see if the event that created it triggers any of its triggered abilities.

Like this post