It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:59 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Considering WotC's throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks design philosophy as of late, I was wondering what kind of product I'd appreciate. Ultimately, I decided on the disposable deck that I can buy at the airport and throw away when I'm done. To do that, I figured the decks needed to achieve two points: (1) Buying two decks should be as cheap as possible, within a movie ticket range, and (2) the decks ought feel complete enough to not feel like they need investment to fine tune the decks in order to function. I'd picture the decks just being plastic wrapped paper deck boxes that look like a fat normal playing card deck.

In the end, I decided to aim for a little bit above $5 for the nonland cards (only the blue deck has nonbasics, and those are Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse). I also ended up with two rare cards in each, since that's the kind of thing people pay attention to (Though the rares aren't the most expensive cards in most of the decks). I also ended up mono-color as dual lands are one of the first things people think of for upgrading decks.

So here are my dumb cheap decks:

Full Deployment
Spoiler

Moonfall
Spoiler

Death Cycle
Spoiler

Charred Ambiance
Spoiler

Constricting Labyrinth
Spoiler

I tried to go with themes that can draw from a wide swath of MtG's history, but weren't necessarily the prime strategies for the colors. I aimed to have decks with an understandable core strategy, but with a lot of possible nuance in play (Green is probably the weakest in the regard, but I spent too much time trying to get a non-creature based strategy.).

Last edited by Monobluegruul on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 pm 

Identity: Male
My friendly local game store had a similar idea. Pre-made, beginner-friendly decks. Not designed to be disposable, but cheap enough to be disposed of. I think they're all standard format too. One's even based around Valduk too!

3 Valduks may be a bit much with them being legendary and all.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
TPmanW wrote:
My friendly local game store had a similar idea. Pre-made, beginner-friendly decks. Not designed to be disposable, but cheap enough to be disposed of. I think they're all standard format too. One's even based around Valduk too!

3 Valduks may be a bit much with them being legendary and all.

Oddly enough, that's a typo on my part. It was actually only two to begin with.

When playing them, I've found them to have a lot more decision points than normal for a beginner product (also, they probably need more removal. That Sniper is a pain where you can discard almost endlessly.).

Like this post