Manor Trespasser 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Fang Pack Seer 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33
Total voters : 20
 Post subject: Aug 12 - 18, 2018
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm 

Identity: Male
Last Week's Winner

Jaya had nothing nice to say about the competition last week, who were Confused to find their efforts countered.

Spoiler

The Contenders

Government Assassin
Creature - Human Assassin (R)
First strike, Deathtouch, Flash
1/1

neru wrote:
Perfect Phylactery
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Whenever Perfect Phylactery becomes attached to a creature with converted mana cost 6, if an Aura with converted mana cost 6 is attached to that creature, exile those three permanents, then return Perfect Phylactery to the battlefield transformed.
Equip—Pay 6 life

Haerta the Eternal Waking
:b: Legendary Creature — Zombie Wizard
Haste
:t:: Choose any number of nonland cards in your graveyard with total converted mana cost 6 and cast them without paying their mana costs.
If Haerta would die, instead transform it.
6/6

Renown Healer
Creature - Human Cleric (C)
When Renown Healer enters the battlefield, you may dedicate another untapped creature you control to it. If you do, you gain 5 life. (Tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control this.)
"Come, my child, and feel the blessings of the gods."
1/4

arathinius wrote:
Kill
Sorcery
Destroy target creature that's not undead (Undead cards are Skeletons, Zombies, Vampires, Spirits)

Silver Monolith
Artifact (R)
Silver Monolith enters the battlefield tapped.
Silver Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step unless an opponent cast two or more spells since your last turn.
: Add .
While it sleeps, Innistrad's greatest horrors wreak havoc.

Libe wrote:
Manor Trespasser

Creature -- Human Rogue (C)
Manor Trespasser can't be blocked except by creatures with vigilance.
"I can tell you much about the effectiveness of the Baron's personal guards and even more about the exquisite flavors he keeps in his wine cellar."
2/1

ty wrote:
Fang-Pack Seer
Creature — Wolf Monk (U)
Your opponent plays with the top card of his or her library revealed.
2/2

The Rules

How To Nominate:
Quote the post with the card you want to nominate. Delete everything in that post other than the card. Copy and paste your quote into a post on this thread.
If you did it right the quote tag should link to the original post.

What's Eligible?
Any fan-designed M:TG card posted since the most recent CotW thread went live is eligible. It doesn't even have to be the first time the card was posted. Yes, Un cards are valid. No, Yugioh cards are not.

What's Not Eligible?
  • Nominating your own cards. You can only nominate cards by other people
  • Nominating a card from your own repost, regardless of whether or not the original post was yours.
  • Nominations that result from collusion. If a nomination is made in exchange for some sort of favour, or under some sort of threat, then the nomination is void.
  • Cards that have already won CotW are not eligible for future CotWs.
  • Nominations that I consider to be jokes or trolling.

A Note On Contests:
Many contest holders feel that having an entrant nominated for CotW will skew the results of their contest. To prevent this while still allowing those cards their chance at nomination, any card submitted to a contest is eligible for nomination to CotW as though the date the contest (or pertinent round of the contest) ended was the date the card was posted.

Past Winners

----

----

----

----

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Aug 12 - 18, 2018
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I kind of love all of them except the monolith. Withholding my vote for now.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I kind of love all of them except the monolith.

:(

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I mean, I get the werewolf reference and honestly, i think that's lovely. But it's too close to its Grim namesake in powerlevel to my liking. I'll admit that when I first read it, I didn't see that it entered the battlefield tapped, and that the visceral reaction I had to its perceived brokenness under that assumption has colored my view of it rather irreversably. But even that just makes it one of those cards where when it works the way it's "supposed" to, it's incredible underwhelming, and when you find a way to unlock its potential, it's busted af. I don't like it when cards, by their very nature, are completely unable to find a middle ground in that regard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am 

Test User (1)
busted af might be a little exaggeration meanwhile plenty other 2-card combos just straight up infinite. this one gives a reusable 3 mana a turn XD heh

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Mindless Hidetsugu
Legendary Creature — Zombie Ogre
:t:: Each player exiles the top half of their library, rounded down.
4/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I like Kill a lot. Batching seems like a great way to solve situations like this where single creature types are just too narrow.

I also voted for Manor Trespasser. It's undercosted, especially for a common, but I love these flavorful forms of unblockability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Am I the only who is somewhat disappointed that Kill's only innovation is the implementation of batching? Don't get me wrong it is quite elegant and ripe with mechanics-based flavor, but a pseudo-functional reprint is unfortunately a miss for me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm 

Am I the only who is somewhat disappointed that Kill's only innovation is the implementation of batching? Don't get me wrong it is quite elegant and ripe with mechanics-based flavor, but a pseudo-functional reprint is unfortunately a miss for me.

I voted for Kill, but I completely agree with you on batching. I think too much batching would rapidly remove useful words from magic lexicon. Undead is a good idea, but then if they ever create a new creature type, they'll have to update what is "undead". Even now, Nightstalkers and Dauthi are very "spirit-like", but aren't qualified as Undead, and Thrulls and Homonculi are also not undead, even though they're very Zombie-like. I'm not saying that they should be included, but rather that batching can miss a lot of things, especially where creature types are involved. The fact that you need to list the creature types anyways in reminder text undoes everything that batching is about. If "Kill" just said "destroy target creature that isn't a Skeleton, Zombie, Vampire, or Spirit", then it'd make just as much sense, because it'd assume that we're smart enough to realize that all of those creature types are things that are already "dead".

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:51 pm 

Test User (1)

you are not the only one. :hand:
look at last week's cotw haha. I said almost the same thing about a different card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Mindless Hidetsugu
Legendary Creature — Zombie Ogre
:t:: Each player exiles the top half of their library, rounded down.
4/3
like i always say, don’t let your memes be dreams

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Re: Kill. I was actually on a hiatus during Innistrad and didn't know about Victim of Night. Oops. But regardless, the point of Kill was just to showcase a neat use of batching to solve a problem that most of us are already aware of -- how do deal with higher-order tribes.

But I agree that it's nothing on Manor Trespasser.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:16 pm 

Yarium wrote:
The fact that you need to list the creature types anyways in reminder text undoes everything that batching is about.

I feel like this way of thinking ignores the real purpose of keywords in general. The presence of reminder text doesn't invalidate the usefulness of a keyword. Most non-evergreen keywords use reminder text every time they show up on a card (including historic!), but once you know what it does, you A) can skip over the reminder text from then on and B) have a concise way to refer to that mechanic to other players who also know how it works. There's more to it than just reducing the amount of text on a card.

I do agree that a lot of things don't deserve batching, but in this case, I like it. I've definitely had moments in the past when I wished Magic had a consolidated "undead" creature type, and this solves that pretty cleanly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm 

I think an issue is that those types are not consistently undead. Kami are Spirits but not undead. Innistradi Vampires are alive and not undead, which is why Sorin can be a planeswalker, and Aetherborn can become Vampires but aren't undead. I think Shades and Specters are sometimes undead, sometimes not. Only Zombies and Skeletons (and Wraiths) are consistently undead. I think some things that are off, like Wurms equipping boots, are okay, but this seems super inconsistent if it were to be evergreen.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 pm 

neru wrote:
I think an issue is that those types are not consistently undead. Kami are Spirits but not undead. Innistradi Vampires are alive and not undead, which is why Sorin can be a planeswalker, and Aetherborn can become Vampires but aren't undead. I think Shades and Specters are sometimes undead, sometimes not. Only Zombies and Skeletons (and Wraiths) are consistently undead. I think some things that are off, like Wurms equipping boots, are okay, but this seems super inconsistent if it were to be evergreen.

Eh, historic had the same problem, where some artifacts like Wanderer's Twig don't feel particularly historic, but I see what you mean.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
That's a fair worry. I think the solution would also be to release this mechanic in a block where the spirits and vampires are undead. Then if people want to use the card outside the block for Innistrad Vampires, then they'd just have to deal with it. Like how a Diamond Mare can ride a Pegasus Courser.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Undersea Spireback
Creature — Turtle (U)
3/4
Islandwalk
As long as no opponents control an Island, Undersea Spireback is a colorless Island land. (It's not a creature.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm 

Test User (1)
Knight Otu wrote:
Teferi's Timelost
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
When Teferi's Timelost becomes the target of a spell, return it to its owner's hand.
When Teferi's Timelost is put into your hand from the battlefield or graveyard, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
1/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Doubt
Instant
Kicker
Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control unless doubt was kicked.
"Is this really what I want?"

OlahZep wrote:
Lurking Baloth
Creature - Beast (U)
You may cast this spell as though it had flash if you use to cast it.
4/4
As prey becomes more resourceful, so must the predator.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 pm 

Bayouborn Crone
Creature — Hag (R)
Deathtouch
Swamps and Forests you control are Swamp Forests.
The local children laugh as they whisper of the monsters that go bump in the night. But if they were to sally forth beyond the levee walls, the wretch they'd meet would rise up far more wicked than a werewolf.
1/2

Shadesmoke wrote:
Azorius Impersonator
Creature — Shapeshifter (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, detain target creature an opponent controls.
: Destroy target detained creature an opponent controls. ~ becomes a copy of that creature.
"Your potential to commit a certain crime warrants further investigation."
2/2

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post