It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Story] The Tale Carver
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:36 pm 

Hello, everybody! Here's a new story featuring a brand new character to the M:EM. I hope you all enjoy!

I'd like to give a big thanks to Barinellos for his help with this story. I've been bouncing ideas about this character off him for a long time now, and he's been immensely helpful in narrowing down the various aspects of the character. He also wrote some lines that are here in the final cut, and contributed in other ways that you will probably notice throughout the story. So, thanks, Barinellos!

The Tale Carver

Last edited by RavenoftheBlack on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 am 

Well, naturally, you know where I fall in regards to this story, so, instead, I'll talk about the greater effects this has had!
Okay, I won't really get into it, but suffice to say that the certain character dynamics really kickstarted some thought processes to help me make some snappy connections in further filling out certain aspects of this setting. Probably wouldn't have happened without this lovely story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Well, naturally, you know where I fall in regards to this story, so, instead, I'll talk about the greater effects this has had!
Okay, I won't really get into it, but suffice to say that the certain character dynamics really kickstarted some thought processes to help me make some snappy connections in further filling out certain aspects of this setting. Probably wouldn't have happened without this lovely story.

Well, I'm glad it helped get something going! I'm always happy when people get something from my stuff.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:17 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I remember a talk of a new character in the works, and my Elphimas side lit up as it read the title of this story. I liked the linguistic touches (the linguistic distance between Aamir and his mother's names strikes me as odd, not because it's in any way unreasonable though) like the -ole suffix, later used for the ancient elementals, and everything about the tree flutes from their introduction to their role in Oleetaka's tale. This is a good entry piece for him, and explores his past in a powerful way, so I hope his next story will hold a glimpse of his future.

looked over the grizzly images he had carved.

I expected to read "grisly" there, but I didn't. WordReference says it can also mean "weeping", it that what is it supposed to mean?

Thank you for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

I remember a talk of a new character in the works,

This is, indeed, one of the characters I was talking about when you asked about it in the Ask Raven thread. Here is the relevant exchange:

Are you planning to introduce new planeswalkers to the M:EM?

...There's one I've been working on for, I'm not even sure, two years? Maybe three, by now? It's just that every time I sit down to write the story, it just doesn't quite come together. Maybe this summer, I'll make a push for it.

It was two years, by the way, and Oleetaka went through a lot of changes over that time. The two things I knew about him from day one was that he was an archer (I love the archer trope, and I've been remiss in not making any archer characters in the M:EM) and that he would be a totem carver in the tradition of Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest. The rest I sort of discovered during the process, and in conversation with the good Barinellos.

and my Elphimas side lit up as it read the title of this story.

I thought about that a few times while working on this story. I can imagine a situation where Elphimas comes across one of Oleetaka's totems and attempts to piece the story together. Or maybe Elphimas uses their power to change the totem, perhaps changing the story? Could be interesting.

I liked the linguistic touches (the linguistic distance between Aamir and his mother's names strikes me as odd, not because it's in any way unreasonable though) like the -ole suffix, later used for the ancient elementals,

Barinellos can better address the issue of Aamir and Lady Kaguya's name (he's done a ton of great work with D'shan and Aamir's family) but I believe this has to do a lot with Aamir's father. From my understanding, the elves of D'shan have a heavy Japanese influence, but Aamir himself is only half-elven, and his father, as Emperor, would have had the right to name him anything he wanted.

As for the -ola, I was really happy with that, and I love the Olakuta. We have not, yet, truly gotten a sense of exactly what they are, but I suspect that, if we are to see another Oleetaka story at some point in the future, we may learn more about them in time.

and everything about the tree flutes from their introduction to their role in Oleetaka's tale.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the tree flutes, myself. It didn't come up in the story, because I opted not to name the sections of the story as I was originally going to, but Oleetaka refers to the night of the attack as "The Night of the Stilled Wind."

This is a good entry piece for him, and explores his past in a powerful way, so I hope his next story will hold a glimpse of his future.

I don't have a solid plan for Oleetaka's next story, but I do have some thoughts as to where it will go, and if it does go that way, it will indeed be towards his future.

looked over the grizzly images he had carved.

I expected to read "grisly" there, but I didn't. WordReference says it can also mean "weeping", it that what is it supposed to mean?

Good catch. Apparently, I was thinking Grizzly Bears when I was typing that up. It should, in fact, be grisly. I'll make the change. Thank you!

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 am 

in conversation with the good Barinellos.

Happy to help, as always!

Quote:
Barinellos can better address the issue of Aamir and Lady Kaguya's name (he's done a ton of great work with D'shan and Aamir's family) but I believe this has to do a lot with Aamir's father. From my understanding, the elves of D'shan have a heavy Japanese influence, but Aamir himself is only half-elven, and his father, as Emperor, would have had the right to name him anything he wanted.

Sorry it took me so long to come back around to this. Partly I didn't want to derail your thread too badly.
But yes, Aamir's father comes from a different cultural inspiration than his mother, so the Sultan tends to favor names more culturally reflective of his own background. For the most part at least...
the Vampire consort got to name her twins on her own. (Lizbet and Maria, for the record)

Also, thank you again, for the compliment.

Quote:
As for the -ola, I was really happy with that, and I love the Olakuta. We have not, yet, truly gotten a sense of exactly what they are, but I suspect that, if we are to see another Oleetaka story at some point in the future, we may learn more about them in time.

It was a nice consistency touch.

Like this post