It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the play?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 am 

Modulo wrote:
You only have no food available if you play the scryland as your fourth land, meaning you have land number 5 in hand the other way around. Otherwise you keep 1 food.
I personally prefer the scryland as t4 play because this makes you less vulnerable to Wicked Wolf/Petty Theft, but in the ideal scenario both lines should work out to have a t5 Nissa...

Argh damnit putting all these scenarios from memory to text is too hard, I know the gist of it but missed the details somewhere. Let's just assume I didn't have the fifth land, since that is the scenario that matches what I remember.

And yeah, in hindsight, I think sixty4half was right and it was a mistake not to play the Scryland + make a food on turn 4. The Krasis can always be eaten by the Wolf later, but Nissa can win the game (heck Nissa can even make a food the turn she comes down by adding +2 mana).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:48 am 

On the draw vs. Gruul in BO1 ...

Turn 1 we both land-go.
On turn 2 he plays Zhur-Taa Goblin without haste. I play Fae of Wishes.
Turn 3, he plays Gruul Spellbreaker, again without haste.

My options are to play Bonecrusher Giant as a 4/3, or play Teferi and bounce the Spellbreaker. What's the play?

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am 

Banedon wrote:
On the draw vs. Gruul in BO1 ...

Turn 1 we both land-go.
On turn 2 he plays Zhur-Taa Goblin without haste. I play Fae of Wishes.
Turn 3, he plays Gruul Spellbreaker, again without haste.

My options are to play Bonecrusher Giant as a 4/3, or play Teferi and bounce the Spellbreaker. What's the play?

Spoiler

I haven't looked at the spoiler yet. What else is in your hand? And he doesn't need to haste the spellbreaker to kill Teferi, he can do it with the Goblin.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:19 am 

With Fae of Wishes on the battlefield, he can't kill Teferi with Goblin.

Other cards in hand: some lands, Fires of Invention, Cavalier of Gales.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 am 

With spellbreaker at 4/4 you cant even clarion, bouncing Spellbreaker would force him to play him at 3 and thus giving you a chance to clarion... maybe...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am 

Banedon wrote:
With Fae of Wishes on the battlefield, he can't kill Teferi with Goblin.

Other cards in hand: some lands, Fires of Invention, Cavalier of Gales.
Ahh, my mistake

What I see most people do, and I believe it's correct, is play the Teferi into a suicide situation. It not only buys you a turn, but also draws a card and presents an alternative target for the opponent. It also positions your Fae as a better blocker since Spellbreaker will be a 3/3.

If he has Embercleave you're probably screwed anyways, unless you do get Clarion, which Teferi helps you dig for. Besides, unless it's a 6/6, playing creatures usually doesn't slow Gruul Agro down. Making them recast creatures does though.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:53 am 

Ikoria limited ...

My board: 2x tapped Marmoset, 1x Dranith Stinger, Reptilian Reflection, lots of lands, 11 life
Opponent's board: lots of lands, 2x Whisper Squad, 2 1/1 tokens, Bastion of Remembrance, 2 cards in hand, 6 life

In my hand I have a 2-mana cycler, Pacifism, and a land. Opponent is B/W.

On opponent's turn he attacks with everything. I basically have two options: cycle, animate the Reflection, and block two creatures; or block one only. What's the play? Bonus: on the previous turn, should I have animated the Reflection and attacked with everything except the Stinger?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:30 am 

No blocks, take the 4 damage? Pacify whatever threat he puts on the board, Cycle and swing for the win.

It seems like a desperation swing to me, or he's trying to activate the 2/3 that brings a 1/1 token if he attacked. Maybe he has a board wipe so he can gain 4/deal 4 but that's a problem whether you block or not (but you don't want the 4/5 raptor on the board when he does). I don't see a reason to block and give him free life.

I guess you could block one but if he has a combat trick you lose the Stinger, and your shot at lethal next turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I’d block with stinger, assuming opp has 5 open mana. Coordinated Strike is lethal if you don’t. Whisper squad and 1/1 tokens looks like the type of deck that would run it so I’d respect it.

I wouldn’t block with reflection because I would have swung with it the previous turn unless there’s a key piece of info you left out for why you didn’t. If opp trades entire board to kill it, I’m happy with that exchange.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:01 pm 

Yeah I blocked one creature too thinking about Coordinated Strike (which opponent did have). I dropped to one life and he played another creature postcombat, which made me panic since it seemed like I would die before he does (I'm dead after first strike damage if he blocks Marmoset). But then I remembered I had Pacifism, removed the blocker, and won.

Not sure if I should've swung with everything the previous turn. My thought process was that he would not die anyway, so since it's lethal in two turns I might as well keep Reflection on defense (this also lets me keep up a cycler if I need to pump my Marmosets the next turn). A possible downside is that if I cycled I might've drawn into more action, idk.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:53 pm 

Cycling introduces some interesting dilemmas into gameplay. I'm not sure if it's healthy for someone like me who is addicted to drawing more cards. That's the point of Magic right?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 am 

Let's say the board is balanced but in a stall right now, with two creatures staring at two creatures and neither player able to attack. I have a few big creatures left in my deck, as well as an active Skull Prophet, but no gas (and neither does my opponent). I still have cards left in my deck that can use the graveyard, e.g. Survivor's Bond and Back For More, but I don't have either in my hand. Should I put the top two cards of my deck into the graveyard using the Skull Prophet's ability?

In other words, I have graveyard synergies in my deck, but I haven't drawn any of them. Should I mill myself?

I don't know the answer to that, wondering if someone does.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 am 

I think the general rule is, if you think you're not in danger of milling yourself out it's better to always mill yourself in these situations.

If decking isn't a factor, then if you have any graveyard synergies milling yourself is right because of these graveyard synergies, the only downside is if you happen to flip over all your reanimation spells/bombs, but you are just as likely to have them all be at the bottom of your deck and be getting closer to them by milling yourself so it's pure upside to mill yourself generally.

Basically, it's the same chance that you're getting closer to the good cards as it is that you will throw them into the graveyard, but because you have cards that play with the graveyard it's better to use the prophet

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:36 pm 

I think it depends on what’s in your graveyard. If you have a good reanimation target (desirable one) and you’re a notable way through your deck already, I would not mill and risk turning over one or both reanimation spells. If your library isn’t getting low and you just have meh targets in the yard, mill mill mill

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 am 

Ok thanks. Would you not mill if you're splashing a color and there's only one copy of the splashed basic land in the deck? I have bad impressions about cards like Excavation Mole in Ikoria limited for that reason - it means splashes need to have at least two basic lands, with collateral damage to mana base.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 am 

I wouldn’t try to build a deck that wants to self mill and employ graveyard recursions, that includes a single splash source that isn’t also recurable (through the GB mutate creature or Abzan ultimatum for example in this set). If you do, you just have to accept the risk of milling that source and eventually drawing a card you can never cast.

I def wouldn’t put mole in deck with a single splash source and no graveyard synergies - mole isn’t a strong enough card on its own (I might put it in a gruul trample deck with no graveyard synergies, but I wouldn’t also splash a 3rd color without backup sources).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:39 am 

Well if it's something like a UG deck that has Greater Sandwurm to cycle and I see a Back for More or Unbreakable Bond, I would be pretty interested in splashing them. But if I splash them, then I can't add Mole as an extra enabler, because it means I need at least two Swamps. Either way it's risky, which is why rating for Mole has been going down. It could easily be better as a 3/3 Trample no other abilities.

Here's something else that's been bugging me in Ikoria limited. Would you cycle the Drannith Stinger, or play it?

If it matters, the rest of the deck is:

My understanding is if the spell I'm casting does not meaningfully impact the board, I should cycle and look for something better. But in this case, the Drannith Stinger does kind of impact the board. It could either trade for the Fertilid, or do two damage (since if opponent plays a bigger creature I have Pacifism in hand). On the other hand, it's turn 4, 2-drops have gotten rather out of date, and if I cycle I do at least 1 damage anyway (via the Stinger that's already in play).

What's the play?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:11 am 

Banedon wrote:
Here's something else that's been bugging me in Ikoria limited. Would you cycle the Drannith Stinger, or play it?

If it matters, the rest of the deck is:

My understanding is if the spell I'm casting does not meaningfully impact the board, I should cycle and look for something better. But in this case, the Drannith Stinger does kind of impact the board. It could either trade for the Fertilid, or do two damage (since if opponent plays a bigger creature I have Pacifism in hand). On the other hand, it's turn 4, 2-drops have gotten rather out of date, and if I cycle I do at least 1 damage anyway (via the Stinger that's already in play).

What's the play?

I'd move to combat and attack with both creatures (if Fertilid blocks the Stinger, I'd use Fight as One to save it), deferring the decision whether to play Stinger to post-combat.
Think I'd play Stinger in most cases anyway, since the Pacifism in your hand means that Stinger is worth 2 damage at least; quite possibly a lot more if you draw into Cyclers.
If Stinger was the Healer instead, I'd be a bit less inclined to cast it specifically if the Fertilid doesn't block.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 am 

M21 limited against the #1 mythic player ...

Rewind this turn to before I attacked with Skyscanner. What's the play? Note: the game has been pausing when opponent had 1 green open, which means he has Ranger's Guile (or he's using manual stops to bluff).

The options are:

- Don't attack, cast Gloom Sower. Opponent must have answer or he dies the next turn when the Sower attacks.
- Attack with Deathbloom Thallid, zombie, Skyscanner. Opponent must block. Cast Fetid Imp post-combat and make another token with devotee.
- Attack with Skyscanner, cast Gloom Sower post combat. Opponent must have answer or he dies the next turn when the Sower attacks. Difference with #1 here is that opponent is at one lower life, which matters given he's already low and there's Sanctum to ping.

I picked the last option, not sure if it's right.

Bonus question: the next turn, opponent casts Setessan Training on his double striker, plays Tempered Veteran, and attacks tapping his three non-Pridemalkin creatures. Do I block? If I do, what do I block with?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 am 

I would attack with scanner and play sower.

The way you lose is to pump spells on unblocked double strike. Whether I’d block and what with depends on how much open mana they have. You mentioned them casting two 2 mana spells, which based on the pic would only leave 1 mana open. Did they play a land for the turn and could have Titanic Growth open?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next