It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:40 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Also want some Izzet to be anti-Bolas, but that's just me being selfish & still wanting to root for my favorite guild.

There's a simple solution to that: Root for Bolas. :P

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 pm 

Identity: Male
Ew no. I want him to just die. Giant golden jerk.

But to be fair I don't have the same kind of connection to the character people who've been playing for longer have, since I only got into the game with Innistrad and haven't done a deep dive into the old lore. So IDK, for me there is nothing sympathetic about him at all, but that may not be true from other's standpoints.

"The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks"
- Douglas Adams

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:04 pm 

Ew no. I want him to just die. Giant golden jerk.

But to be fair I don't have the same kind of connection to the character people who've been playing for longer have, since I only got into the game with Innistrad and haven't done a deep dive into the old lore. So IDK, for me there is nothing sympathetic about him at all, but that may not be true from other's standpoints.

Bolas is the kind of character that shouldn't be sympathetic (which is why the recent storyarc was duuuuuumb) but is supposed to be a bit of a power trip character.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 am 

MaRo revealed that part of the autumn look is them going for a film noir/cold war feel.

He also revealed that part of how the guilds were divided between the sets was to have two Bolas-aligned guilds in Guilds of Ravnica and three in Ravnica Allegiance. They will also have planeswalkers as leaders. As Assassin's Trophy (x) shows Vraska killed Isperia, I am expecting Dovin Baan to take over and put Azorius under Bolas.

Tibalt popping back up to take the Rakdos would be interesting. Domri falling for Bolas seems like a wild card. Kiora for Simic??

I think Orzhov makes sense under Bolas, but the mechanics will be interesting. Either Liliana comes in as white-black for the first time and uses necromancy to take control of the Ghost Council or Kaya comes in working for Teysa and/or Bolas and holds the Obzedat hostage or kills them and sticks around as leader.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:09 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Orzhov, Boros, Dimir, Gruul, and Selesnya are my bets for Team Gatewatch. Teysa has been working to take over the Orzhov for a long time now, and it would be really depressing if all that was just kiboshed because WotC needs planeswalkers to tell stories

Izzet, Golgari, Azorius, Simic, and Rakdos are Team Bolaswatch (the new name of the super team Bolas is creating to fight the superteam Jace created)

The only ones I was really on the fence about were Gruul and Rakdos, because either could have flipped motivations (chaos/downfall of current Ravnican system Vs. "we are normally the anti Rav people but this Big Bad guy is bad news for everybody" trope)

I expect Simic to be led by Ramaz, and Gruul/Rakdos to be led by Baltrice.

But I swear on me mum if they kill off Niv Mizzet

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm 

I don't think they'll ever acknowledge that Matt Stover brought Baltrice back.
It WOULD be interesting to finally get Ramaz.

Currently, we have Liliana, Ral, Tezzeret, and Vraska in the quiver for team Bolas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:00 pm 

With what we know now, these are my predictions

Azorius: Team Unwitting Pawns. Azor's faction wouldn't help Bolas on purpose, but as long as he remains subtle (you know, before the Bridge opens and the Eternals attack), their red tape will hold up legitimate resistance mostly of their own accord. Jace owns their system, yet I think Bolas could game said system better. Once Bolas can be charged with destruction of public property, unlicensed materials transport, failure to pay tariff on his army, and numerous noise violations, the Azorius turn to defend Ravnica.
Dimir: Team Gatewatch (though 'fighting the good fight' on their own for now), as per spoiled flavor text
Rakdos: Team Bolas. Old Nicol seems to have good contact with demons across Dominia, after all
Gruul: Team Bolas or Team Nobody. Gruul SMASH. Not Gruul? Then Die! The destruction bolas offers is to their interest, but they might just rage nondirectionally.
Selesnya: Team Gatewatch, through Emmara.
Orzhov: Civil War; Ghost Council is Team Bolas, Teysa is Team Gatewatch. This is probably where Kaya comes in as much as I dislike her.
Boros: Team Gatewatch, as much as I hate it. Gideon has an in and these jerks will randomly become shiny heroes when the need for sympathetic guilds shows up
Izzet: Established as Team Bolas, through Ral. Probably going to stick like that; either Niv dies, or it turns out Niv is on Team Bolas himself (Maybe Bolas is "daddy" to him or something?)
Simic: Team Gatewatch. With the Izzet firmly in Bolas' corner, the Gatewatch will probably need/want to acquire some mad science of their own to combat it. Perhaps fair-weather allies not ideological ones, but still allies.
Golgari: Team Turncoat. Starts off in Bolas' claws under Vraska, but when Jace restores her memory, she flips and takes the guild with her.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 pm 

So now Maro has confirmed that two guilds in this set are pro-Bolas and in the next three will be.

So that makes Izzet and Golgari the obvious candidates now. If they're keeping the colour balance then Azorius, Orzhov and Gruul are likely candidates for the remaining Bolas worshippers, the former more so since Isperia is dead and there is likely some puppet there.

It would make sense from a practical stand-point, since the government and the church have the power to censor and control the masses and the oppressed rebels will have the most sincere support.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm 

Finally the Dimir can be seen for the heroes of Ravnica they've always been.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 am 

The guildgates are very interesting. Ral's Gate looks a lot like one end of a portal and I am surprised Tajic has become the hardliner and Aurelia is the cooperative one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:52 pm 

>Etrata
Oh that’s interesting, another brand new character, can’t wait to see her card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 pm 

Quote:
mtgstarwizard asked:
So, are there only 5 planeswalkers in guilds + allegiance, and all of them are from the 5 guilds that are Bolas-aligned? I got that from your article and, if that's the case, that's very disappointing :( No gatewatchers/heroes?

markrosewater said:
Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance are mostly concurrent with Ixalan and Dominaria so the Gatewatch is busy elsewhere storywise.

That can't be correct...right? Like Vraska didn't leave Ixalan until after that story ended.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Bolas made a body double and Monkey Pawed her wish.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:08 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
AzureShade wrote:
Quote:
mtgstarwizard asked:
So, are there only 5 planeswalkers in guilds + allegiance, and all of them are from the 5 guilds that are Bolas-aligned? I got that from your article and, if that's the case, that's very disappointing :( No gatewatchers/heroes?

markrosewater said:
Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance are mostly concurrent with Ixalan and Dominaria so the Gatewatch is busy elsewhere storywise.

That can't be correct...right? Like Vraska didn't leave Ixalan until after that story ended.

Yeah, at best it could take place in the time frame after Jace planeswalked to Dominaria, but that was already pretty late in the Dominaria story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:17 pm 

He said 'mostly'. Vraska could appear later in the chunk of time that GRN represents.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 pm 

Maybe the isperia assassination happens at the end of the story?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:05 am 

The Azorius aren't even trying.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm 

Maybe the isperia assassination happens at the end of the story?

That would be my assumption. The time lines probably work out something like this:

Ixalan-----Dominaria---------Show down with Bolas
--Guilds of----Allegiance of---Show down with Bolas

Figure the assassination of Isperia is what eventually turns the cold war hot. Though depending on where Allegiance falls in relation to Dominaria, I'd find it hard to think that it would fall to Bolas so easily. Jace seemed to be working fairly hand in hand with Lavinia when he was still actually doing the job he was supposed to be doing. So my wager is on the following:

Team Gatewatch:
Selesnya, Dimir, Azorius, Boros, Gruul

Team Bolas:
Izzet, Golgari, Orzhov, Rakdos, Simic.

The only two I'm not really confident on are Gruul and Simic, but it would seem easier for Bolas to get in touch and persuade the Simic or subvert them than it would be the Gruul. Orzhov goes Bolas because he offers them the chance to get out from under the Azorius and Boros, while from a typing standpoint their flavor would more easily fit in with Lilliana's penchant for zombies and undead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:23 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I hope at least one guild is playing both sides. I don't think that's too complex right?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 am 

Foe10x10 wrote:
Team Gatewatch:
Selesnya, Dimir, Azorius, Boros, Gruul

Team Bolas:
Izzet, Golgari, Orzhov, Rakdos, Simic.

Azorius confirmed to be on team evil as seen above, possibly due to a puppet replacing Isperia.

My Patreon:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next