It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [BBD-MCD] Pir and Toothy
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 am 

Identity: Female
ImageImage

Pir, Imaginative Rascal |
Legendary Creature - Human (R)
Partner with Toothy, Imaginary Friend (When this creature enters the battlefield, target player may put Toothy into their hand from their library, then shuffle.)
If one or more counters would be put on a permanent your team controls, that many plus one of each of those kinds of counters are put on that permanent instead.
1/1

Toothy, Imaginary Friend |
Legendary Creature - Illusion (R)
Partner with Pir, Imaginary Rascal (When this creature enters the battlefield, target player may put Pir into their hand from their library, then shuffle.)
Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, draw a card for each +1/+1 counter on it.
1/1

Last edited by Echo_Robin on Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 am 

Their trigger is weird. You don't seem to actually search or reveal anything.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:12 am 

Identity: Female
AzureShade wrote:
Their trigger is weird. You don't seem to actually search or reveal anything.
Hmm, didn't notice that at first. Maybe it's an implied search. Probably just a textbox space issue, kind of like how they worded the italicized text on the Sagas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 am 

It is a search. From here:

Quote:
GavinV:
This is something new we're trying with these cards. Since reminder text isn't rules text, we can be a little more casual in the reminder text and save up the space it takes on the card. In the rules, it's still written as search - so yes, Aven Mindcensor will stop it. :) (Well, or at least give you the chance to stop it. C'moooonnnn top 4 cards!)

(Wotcstaff)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 pm 

Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about that reminder text. I'm all for reminder text simplifying, paring down, and ignoring great gobs of the nuances of rules behavior, but I don't think I like it leaving out as precise and widely-referenced a keyword action as "search".

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:18 pm 

Nope, don't care for this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Pir seems pretty good with planeswalkers. They get an extra counter when they enter and with every plus-ability activation. (None of the weird "effect" interactions that Doubling Season has.) These two might work for a superfriends commander deck, in case you don't want to scare everyone with Atraxa.

The fact that they always appear together in packs is cool. I think these will be fun to play with in Battlebond drafts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm 

So I’m wondering if there is just the enemy colored cycle for this sort of thing, enemy and ally, or just these two. Both does take up 20 slots so probably just Enemy. Which is weird as they have the ally lands.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm 

So I’m wondering if there is just the enemy colored cycle for this sort of thing, enemy and ally, or just these two. Both does take up 20 slots so probably just Enemy. Which is weird as they have the ally lands.

"There are eleven pairs in the set, all at uncommon or higher, and when one shows up they take the place of an uncommon"

So we're probably getting allied pairs at true uncommon, enemy pairs at rare, and something goofy at mythic (Colorless-5c?)

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

I dislike what they have done with partner. I get that the word is just perfect for what the effect is supposed to do and you want them to be played together in Commander as well, but it is something completely different from the way other partner cards work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Riorvard wrote:
I dislike what they have done with partner. I get that the word is just perfect for what the effect is supposed to do and you want them to be played together in Commander as well, but it is something completely different from the way other partner cards work.

Reminds me of MaRo saying that Slaying Mantis "Just a second" ability being a superset of Split Second.
That said, commander stuff like partner and non-creatures that can be a commander is a deck construction rule for an unconventional format, so I don't really mind if they find ways to save space on relevant mechanics that do such things.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

The thing that worries me is that they will do something like that in future, mainline sets. They already kinda did in Dominaria with legendary sorceries, where legendary means something completely different than it does on a permanent card, just so they could play off cards that care about historics.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 pm 

Riorvard wrote:

I thought I saw that "partner with" also works like partner, except only with the named partner. Meaning you can have a two-commander deck with Pir and Toothy.

So it's kinda like banding/bands with.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am 

Except if you had say Ishai and Kraum and for whatever reason let Ishai actually be placed in your library with a Terminus then cast Kraum, you wouldn't be able to search up Ishai. So this is blatantly not the same mechanic despite having the same name, and even doesn't include the shared part on the card itself which further widens the divide. Also Magic needs to bite the freaking bullet, pull a Yu-Gi-Oh!, and just have shuffle after every search being part of the rules so it can stop wasting space having to be printed on cards. We had a helluvalot of changes with Dominaria but apparently that would've just been too much.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 am 

neru wrote:
Riorvard wrote:

I thought I saw that "partner with" also works like partner, except only with the named partner. Meaning you can have a two-commander deck with Pir and Toothy.

So it's kinda like banding/bands with.

partner lets you run two commanders, right? I see no mention of these cards doing anything similar to that on the cards themselves, and if you /can/ run them both as your commander, then that's unintuitive on a hundred levels. they shouldn't hide important functionality.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 am 

I realized where I saw it: the actual article.

Quote:
Though not in the reminder text of the mechanic, the legendary "partner with" cards that reference each other can, together, be your commanders in the Commander format! We were looking for ways to make these creatures both able to be your commander, and a variant on partner made a ton of sense. They do need to be paired up with each other (for example, Toothy and Pir can be played together; Toothy and Ravos, Soultender can't), and we were able to make some really exciting pairs this way.

Yay for reading. I assume it is not on the card because it is not a Commander product and the Commander-relevant part of the mechanic would almost never occur in the same game as the tutor part of the mechanic, and the reminder text is already cutting out words.

I don't really have a problem with a keyword variant having mechanical distinctions that still fit thematically. That said, Commander-specific mechanics are dumb.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 am 

i don't mind commander specific mechanics but this card does a lot of dumb things

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 am 

i do like the truncated reminder text, though it would be better if it described what the ability did.

Like this post