It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Q&Azorborne
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
all the cool kids are doing it so I guess I should too?

I don't know, I don't have as deep a catalogue as most of you or as deep an understanding of the archives, but hey it seems like fun and I haven't been very active here recently so why not.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Q&Azorborne
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 pm 

You have a number of legendary creatures as featured players in the Ossia storyline. If you were to take just one of those characters and make them a planeswalker, which one would you choose, and where would you have them go?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

You have a number of legendary creatures as featured players in the Ossia storyline. If you were to take just one of those characters and make them a planeswalker, which one would you choose, and where would you have them go?

hmm. I think probably the most interesting choice would be Basilian, mostly because I really enjoy climbing around in his head. I would very much like to write more Basilian stories, and while I could do that on Ossia, it'd be fun to take him elsewhere too. there's some logistical issues in terms of whether Ossian Gargoyles have a discrete enough life to actually acquire a spark, but I'm sure I could handwave my way around that. as for where he'd go... I'm not sure. I imagine his primary goal would be unraveling the mysteries of the Flood, so wherever that search takes him. I doubt a planeswalking Basilian story would be confined to one world.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
1. How's the progress on The Second Flood going?
2. Have you plans for Vella beyond Ossia?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:28 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

at this point I'm probably abandoning the cards portion of it. I just don't think I have that level of YMtC in me anymore. I haven't actually played a game of magic in forever, and I don't even really follow the sets these days. I do want to do a write-up of all the main story points so I can update the dossier, but I'm still torn 'cause I feel like it's not the send-off they deserve so I keep trying to convince myself to write legitimate stories for various parts of it.

2. Have you plans for Vella beyond Ossia?
well, my plan was to follow TSF with a visit to Olmregan, Vella's home world, where she retreats to lick her wounds. I had some vague thoughts on how that would go, but then I only got like two factions into my dossier of Olmregan so we'll see. that's another thing I intend to come back to.

oh and I still need to write the dossier for her that I promised Raven like two years ago.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 am 

What are your ships? I mean, beyond the already established couples, which romantic pairs of M:EM characters do you find interesting or you'd just want to read about? The answer doesn't have to involve your characters.

(yep, the same question for all three, sue me)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

What are your ships? I mean, beyond the already established couples, which romantic pairs of M:EM characters do you find interesting or you'd just want to read about? The answer doesn't have to involve your characters.

(yep, the same question for all three, sue me)

so I'm agamous, which means I'm not really interested in romantic relationships, and that tendency carries over to my consumption of fiction. romantic plots almost always fall flat for me, so I tend not to look for them. (if you look through Ossia, I'm pretty sure there are zero romantic relationships. it's just not a part of how I think about stories.) I do occasionally like relationship arcs when they're done right (by my own very subjective definition of "right"), and I think Beryl/Aloise handles it pretty well, but I can't bring myself to look at characters who aren't in a relationship and think "hey a relationship would make this better." it's just not how my brain works. that's probably not a super interesting answer, but it's the one I've got.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am 

I find it quite interesting, just not in the way I anticipated :) Thank you for your openness!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm 

Identity: Male
The correct answer was Howling Junk.

Not at all related to anything around here, but is there a phone app that will turn music played to it into sheet music notation? If I were to ever get into music I think that would have been what it took.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Not at all related to anything around here, but is there a phone app that will turn music played to it into sheet music notation? If I were to ever get into music I think that would have been what it took.

I don't know of a phone app, but I think Sibelius will do that, at least with midi data. not sure about direct transcription software, although I personally wouldn't trust a phone's microphone anyway, especially not with chords.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 pm 

Identity: Male
Dang, I figured that it could be done in the age of Shazam.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Dang, I figured that it could be done in the age of Shazam.

Shazam doesn't need to know the chords, just the overall spectral fingerprint. I suspect it could be done (actually, I'm positive it could be done: things like this rely on it.) I'm just not sure that it can overcome the noise introduced by running it through speakers and microphones, especially phone-quality ones. although I'm not an audio engineer, and it's certainly possible I'm underestimating the technology.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
razorborne wrote:
at this point I'm probably abandoning the cards portion of it. I just don't think I have that level of YMtC in me anymore. I haven't actually played a game of magic in forever, and I don't even really follow the sets these days. I do want to do a write-up of all the main story points so I can update the dossier, but I'm still torn 'cause I feel like it's not the send-off they deserve so I keep trying to convince myself to write legitimate stories for various parts of it.

what

It was, like, the second best thing (if not the first)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

what

It was, like, the second best thing (if not the first)

yeah, I keep telling myself I'll get back to it, but it's been what, 6 months since the last TSF thread? longer? I think probably longer, honestly. it's just not something I've really been up for.

if anything I say blame Rush, most of my process was yelling ideas at him until we found something I liked but then he had to go and get a new job that he can't just sit around on facebook during so now I've lost my muse. I've tried working with a couple other folks but it's just not the same.

Like this post