It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:14 pm 

So, am I the only one irritated by the fact that Bolas's reappearance on Tarkir now (or then, really) alters the timeline further? Again?!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am 

^ I'm more perplexed at WOTC building the Khans timeline to give 'enemy shard' decks a name/identity for ease of tournament reports, then deciding to erase that timeline.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): CHRONICLE OF BOLAS: PERSPECTIVES

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:04 pm 

Arcades: *welcomes Bolas*

Bolas: *turns him into a aligned villain*

Love the sheer ambiguity in the narration. They truly make use of biased perspectives, yet there are facts that happened unambiguously even with Bolas Daffy Ducking the whole thing.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:05 pm 

Also, what if the battle between Bolas and Ugin was the leviathan battle and the Talon Gates are Ugin's original body's talons?

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:41 pm 

I have been wondering why the leviathan fight has been so strangely absent in this little historical back and forth.....

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 pm 

Because that fight happened post ascension for Bolas.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
So, am I the only one irritated by the fact that Bolas's reappearance on Tarkir now (or then, really) alters the timeline further? Again?!

Welcome to the Third New Age of Storytelling :D a.k.a. Eff-continuity-we-Storyline-up-in-his-beech-like-an-8-Year-Old-MF!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:06 pm 

Which timeline is being altered now? Tarkir’s or a larger narrative storyline one?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm 

From what I can tell neither.

The original timeline was "Bolas pretty much kills Ugin, Ugin's bones rot. Dragons die off and Khans rule Tarkir."

The new timeline is "Bolas pretty much kills Ugin, Sarkhan pops into existence at that time and basically performs magical first aid on Ugin so he doesn't die and his body is encased in a protective shell until he heals. Dragons don't die off and eventually overtake the Khans as rulers of Tarkir."

This story takes place during the second timeline where Bolas comes back to check on Ugin's corpse because he has learned of a plan to trap him on Ixalan and is afraid Ugin is still alive. Apparently Bolas thought he killed him once before another time and Ugin cheated death then too, so Bolas is just stopping by the grave to be sure. He sees the weird Hedrons and assumes they are part of a plot to save Ugin's life. He questions the locals who tell him over and over that Ugin is dead. Likely in the next story, they will convince him of this and he will walk away, seemingly triumphant and secure in the belief that Ugin is truly dead. Several generations later, Ugin will break out of his Herdon coma tube, Sarkhan will explain what the heck happened, and Ugin will flee to Zendikar to continue the timeline as it was reset.

Like, this bit of story changes nothing timeline-wise so long as Bolas leaves believing that Ugin is really dead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 pm 

Ok that’s kind of how I saw it but just making sure. I assumed Bolas would be unable to destroy the hedron cocoon and leave in frustration and plot a backup plan in case Ugin did somehow come back.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
This story takes place during the second timeline where Bolas comes back to check on Ugin's corpse because he has learned of a plan to trap him on Ixalan and is afraid Ugin is still alive. Apparently Bolas thought he killed him once before another time and Ugin cheated death then too, so Bolas is just stopping by the grave to be sure. He sees the weird Hedrons and assumes they are part of a plot to save Ugin's life. He questions the locals who tell him over and over that Ugin is dead. Likely in the next story, they will convince him of this and he will walk away, seemingly triumphant and secure in the belief that Ugin is truly dead. Several generations later, Ugin will break out of his Herdon coma tube, Sarkhan will explain what the heck happened, and Ugin will flee to Zendikar to continue the timeline as it was reset.

Like, this bit of story changes nothing timeline-wise so long as Bolas leaves believing that Ugin is really dead.

This bit is where things change because Bolas DIDN'T return to Tarkir. His further actions after the return ring down beyond him just popping in because that fundamentally alters how he'd act elsewhere with the knowledge there's shenanigans afoot.

It's the same irritation that Sarkhan was now NEVER BORN yet things happened on various worlds. Given, it's on a smaller scale, but Bolas is more personally affected by the changes to this timeline in how he would act.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Barinellos wrote:
AzureShade wrote:

This bit is where things change because Bolas DIDN'T return to Tarkir. His further actions after the return ring down beyond him just popping in because that fundamentally alters how he'd act elsewhere with the knowledge there's shenanigans afoot.

It's the same irritation that Sarkhan was now NEVER BORN yet things happened on various worlds. Given, it's on a smaller scale, but Bolas is more personally affected by the changes to this timeline in how he would act.

This is why we don't time travel.

This is why TNG had time travel police who hated their jobs.

Frankly, I just want someone to try and tell me that the what, thousand of years after Ugin died, these "old traditions" of the Khans are going to survive and there is going to be an inevitable return of the Khans in Tarkir 2: Electric Boogaloo because WotC realized they killed off everyone's favorite part of Tarkir just like they did with Zendikar.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:16 am 

Jman22 wrote:

Frankly, I just want someone to try and tell me that the what, thousand of years after Ugin died, these "old traditions" of the Khans are going to survive and there is going to be an inevitable return of the Khans in Tarkir 2: Electric Boogaloo because WotC realized they killed off everyone's favorite part of Tarkir just like they did with Zendikar.

It's hinted that the other Tarkir still exists in some kind of quasi parallel way. So it's much more likely Tarkir 2 will be the Return of Planar Chaos: This time it's personal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:52 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Khans 2 or We undo everything we've done since Khans one

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Barinellos wrote:
Jman22 wrote:

It's hinted that the other Tarkir still exists in some kind of quasi parallel way. So it's much more likely Tarkir 2 will be the Return of Planar Chaos: This time it's personal.

"The Unwritten Now" nonsense has been a constant thing in Khans flavor.

But seriously, alternate reality/time shenanigans are lame imo

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

Jman22 wrote:
"The Unwritten Now" nonsense has been a constant thing in Khans flavor.

But seriously, alternate reality/time shenanigans are lame imo

I LOVE alternate realities.
As long as they STAY alternate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm 

Shower thought:

Is it possible that Hanweir has a planeswalking spark?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm 

Shower thought:

Is it possible that Hanweir has a planeswalking spark?
I would argue no because if any one citizen of Hanweir were to have a latent Spark, then nearly becoming part of the Writhing Township would have surely ignited it sending that person to safety elsewhere or they would have just died and their Spark would have died with them as their body became grist for the city.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Maybe it would be a Phyrexia situation where the exchange of flesh would dim the sense of self and erase the possibility of a spark.

Anyways, Return to Tarkir has been set.

My Patreon:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285  Next