It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 285  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

I wonder what Karn dug up then.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 pm 

I quite liked this story overall. There are a lot of points to go through, and luckily I have the time to do that for a change...

Spoiler

@Cylix: Relax guys, there's no way this is intended to be the Golgothian Sylex. For starters, it's spelled differently. I think they're just randomly making up stuff that Urza supposedly worked on as a vague backup plan (like that dungeon he supposedly built in the Tivan Desert). It's annoying, but for now I'll assume it's a different animal from the Sylex. As you say, the description doesn't match, the original one was destroyed, and there would be no reason for it to be buried in Yavimaya, especially now that the podcast confirmed it isn't in the same location as Argoth.

Edit: I do wonder how Chandra knows about New Phyrexia, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm 

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm 

Edit: I do wonder how Chandra knows about New Phyrexia, though.

Maybe she's friends with Koth and he stopped by to try and recruit her, but his explanation made it seem like a hopeless situation she couldn't actually help with? Or maybe there was a point where Ajani got to tell the gatewatch off-screen during their time on Kaladesh?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm 

Or maybe there was a point where Ajani got to tell the gatewatch off-screen during their time on Kaladesh?

Occam's Razor.

Also, I think he explained things with what happened to Elspeth, so it had a strong possibility coming up then.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm 

So someone pointed out on Tumblr that Jace showing up now in the story fundamentally does not work with how long he was on Ixalan. Following the timestamps in Return to Dominaria there's around a dozen days of time whereas Jace definitely took a month or two to get to Orazca and meet Azor.
Also, aether trails simply aren't a thing within a plane, they are the trace a 'walker leaves while 'walking the Blind Eternities.
Where has something said that aether trails aren't a thing within a plane?

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:33 pm 

Phyrexia is known on Dominaria and New Phyrexia's return has been circulating for a while among planeswalkers, so its not hard to see how Chandra got up to speed.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 am 

astarael7 wrote:
So someone pointed out on Tumblr that Jace showing up now in the story fundamentally does not work with how long he was on Ixalan. Following the timestamps in Return to Dominaria there's around a dozen days of time whereas Jace definitely took a month or two to get to Orazca and meet Azor.
Also, aether trails simply aren't a thing within a plane, they are the trace a 'walker leaves while 'walking the Blind Eternities.

Was there ever confirmation that time flows the same on all planes? It might be a bit slower or faster on some planes, or even shift in relative rates to each other, potentially based on conditions in the plane or in the part of the blind eternities it is found in, which could explain some issues like that away without actual time travel being involved so long as things don't actually happen out of order?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 am 

Was there ever confirmation that time flows the same on all planes?

Brady Dommermuth nipped that in the bud years ago.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:24 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Was there ever confirmation that time flows the same on all planes?

Brady Dommermuth nipped that in the bud years ago.

I thought it got unnipped in the bud, and time definitely does flow the same on at least the ones we've seen.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
The only instance of time not flowing the same on all planes since origins is Sarkhans Wild Ride.

Timr flowing the same was actually a relevant plot point for Battle, as Gideon was spending days on ZEN and nights on RAV and not sleeping because JUSTICE

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:23 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Or maybe there was a point where Ajani got to tell the gatewatch off-screen during their time on Kaladesh?

Occam's Razor.

Also, I think he explained things with what happened to Elspeth, so it had a strong possibility coming up then.
I guess Ajani it is then. Would have been nice to see that play out in a story and to get everybody's reactions (especially Liliana's because of Dominaria's history with Phyrexia), but whatever.

astarael7 wrote:
Why would they be? There (usually) is no aether within the planar boundaries of a world, so what medium would there be for a 'walker to leave a trail in? You can't leave footprints in the snow if there's no snow. Planeswalkers just can't detect the presence of other 'walkers on a plane anymore post-Mending. This was also confirmed by Brady.

As to the flow of time on different planes, Brady said that, while it might not be impossible in-world, they aren't going to bring it up and just work under the assumption that time basically passes at the same rate everywhere. Tracking timelines across different planes would turn into a complete nightmare if they established that time passes at a different rate on different planes. It would end up creating more problems than it would solve in the long run.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm 

Maybe they track some aether into the plane when they arrive. Like they were leaving footprints in the snow outside, but now they are leaving wet footprints on the carpet because they didn't wipe their feet when they walked in.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 pm 

Maybe they track some aether into the plane when they arrive. Like they were leaving footprints in the snow outside, but now they are leaving wet footprints on the carpet because they didn't wipe their feet when they walked in.
Well, but Gideon had been on Dominaria for ages when Jace somehow tracked him and planeswalked there. And it also wouldn't explain why Chandra claims to have sensed Jaya's aether trail the moment Nissa left (and while she herself was still on Dominaria). I just don't see the connection between those two events. And why didn't Chandra notice Jaya's trail leading back to Regatha (let's not get into the extremely weird timing of Jaya suddenly being back at Keral Keep when Chandra gets there...)? Shouldn't that have been a lot easier to spot anyway?

This whole new way of planeswalkers tracking each other simply clashes with a ton of earlier post-Mending stories where it would have been relevant but didn't come up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
I feel the need to be slightly creative-writing soapboxy.

I get that WotC is trying to cram too much into to small of a space storywise. There are actually greater examples of lost opportunity earlier, particularly with the Josu stuff. The issue I'm about to state is a relatively minor nick pick, but it actually has a lot of structure lessons in it.

There's a reason why the traditional play structure is the three act play. There's also a case to say the five act play is so, but the five act play's primary plot happens in the middle three, with the first act telling exposition and the fifth the ramifications of the middle three. Setup, confrontation, resolution. This idea of three really does give a psychological feeling something is established. If something occurs three times in a story, it isn't thought of as a coincidence anymore. True, truer, truest.

Chandra's poor behavior toward Jaya is given three separate events in the story structure. The first is in the backstory as Chandra mentioned being a bad abbot who wasn't taking her lessons to heart. The second is when she stole Jaya's goggles. The third is when Chandra expected Jaya to automatically want to teach her when Chandra realized Luti was Jaya.

To counteract her previous behavior, Chandra really ought have shown three separate instances of change in front of Jaya. (Requiring more just establishes a dynamic of Jaya not thinking Chandra has changed). Any less, and it doesn't feel like quite enough. The first event to surprise Jaya about Chandra's change. The second to make Jaya seriously consider Chandra's changed. The third to confirm it to Jaya. The points but make a line, but three affirms it.

The problem is that Chandra really only shows at best two instances to Jaya. First, she decides to help Karn. Second, she helps Multani. She really needs a third to help shake the feeling that this is just a temporary happenstance.

I haven't liked the Gatewatch in the past, but I have to admit that I feel they're the ones most suffering the effects of the cramming. Don't get me wrong, everyone is getting shortchanged slightly, but the Gatewatch members are getting shortchanged some serious likability opportunities here. Liliana/Josu could've offered some actually constructive angst that could've matured Liliana more as a character. Chandra could've better shown a sense of responsibility by having a third instance to prove herself to Jaya. Gideon's set up is at least good so far, but it really depends on how the Blackblade angle goes. While I get letting the denizens show off their plane, it hurts the "main cast" characterization. I don't want earlier Gatewatch escapades where they hogged the spotlight, but... there's a narrative reason why planeswalker characters were more background characters for a long time other than the power set issue...

As I've said before, considering how much WotC wants to do in the space they've given to the story, it's actually quite well done. But it has real costs.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm 

I mean, I understand why this happened. It's because Dominaria they changed over to the three-and-one model and Unnamed Dominaria Small Set became Core Set 2019. Regardless of how much they had plotted out, losing at least 3 and possible as many as 8 chapters definitely blew a gaping hole in their story structure. For the continuity error, Ixalan was probably too far along to compress the time scale and so we have timelines that don't and won't ever match up. As for the rest, I do love the story so far but you're right that it feels rushed and breathless. Probably this is not something that could be fixed, but I hope we get to stories soon that were actually plotted out over the space of one set.

This whole new way of planeswalkers tracking each other simply clashes with a ton of earlier post-Mending stories where it would have been relevant but didn't come up.
It didn't come up because they hadn't thought of it yet. Now they have, its a good solution to the problem of unacquainted planeswalkers finding each other other than by accident and coincidence, and it ties in very neatly with how Project Lightning Bug might work, so I'm glad they've introduced it.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Return to Dominaria episode 10

ImageImage

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm 

Comic is hilarious (and adorable)! I'm literally giggling aloud!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:01 pm 

So today's story was sorta cute, though I'm not sure that the Slimefoot we saw feels like the Slimefoot we were introduced to.

I did not get the grumpy mushroom janitor I was promised!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 pm 

Its before they gets jaded from their child-like innocence.

EDIT: Yes, I changed the pronouns. "It" is henceforth reserved for Ashiok (who defines itself as an inhuman horror) and to characters I don't like (i.e. Nissa).

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 285  Next