It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 421  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm 

The biggest problem with the internet is the death of general empathy that it directly caused.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 pm 

Are any of you familiar with Super Mario World and think discussing it would be fun? I want to talk about its gameplay design; but I don’t want to shout into the void if no one here cares or is familiar with the piece.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
The biggest problem with the internet is the death of general empathy that it directly caused.

I disagree, and not just because, anecdotally, I learned better how to be sympathetic and empathetic towards others through interactions online (most notably the M:EM).

I don't disagree that the general populace is less empathetic than it used to be, but I think you're misplacing the blame. The real culprit is simply human tribalism.

How the internet plays into the equation is that, at the same time it broke down barriers for people to truly be able to experience how people from other walks of life and other cultures live, it also broke down barriers for like-minded people to find each other.

What resulted is what always happens when humans group together: they insulate themselves from other groups, and launch "attacks" against those other groups that oppose their own manner of thinking.

So, while the internet made possible massive collaboration projects between people from all over the world -- to use a topical example, how the novel coronavirus was sequenced within days and shared with scientists around the world -- it has also allowed crackpots, conspiracy theorists, and just generally toxic people to find others who think like them, becoming even more entrenched in their ideas instead of burying them and learning to be more in harmony with the community in which they physically live.

I also wonder if the sheer size of the global population has anything to do with it, though that's just speculation on my part.

mjack33 wrote:
Are any of you familiar with Super Mario World and think discussing it would be fun? I want to talk about its gameplay design; but I don’t want to shout into the void if no one here cares or is familiar with the piece.

I always get confused between the SMW series and the SNES SMB series, mostly because I never played them myself, but I am fairly familiar with them. Mostly in a speedrun setting, I'll admit, but it's hard not to have a generalized knowledge of the games, even if I won't recognize individual levels.

(And to shove my own personal opinion in where it's not wanted, I think Super Metroid is a master class in level design.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 pm 

Well I guess it’s time for an info dump lol;

Super Mario Bros is the original most people think of when they think 8 worlds, 4 levels per, 4th in each world is a castle, non castle levels end with a flag, etc.

SMB 3 is its closest spiritual successor. This was the second game with similar gameplay released internationally. SMB: The Lost Levels was technically the first successor, but it was so hard it didn’t get an international release back in the day.

SMB 2 is the second one that came out internationally; but it plays drastically differently. This is the one with Birdo, Shy Guys, tirnips, playing as Toad, super jumps, etc. This is the most prominent 2D game to have a non Bowser villain.

Super Mario World was the first one released on the SNES; and it’s most well known for introducing the cape feather and Yoshi.

Super Mario World 2 is much better known by its subtitle, Yoshi’s Island. This is the one with Yoshi carrying around Baby Mario and throwing eggs.

Other 2D mario games existed before New Supe such as Super Mario Land 1 and 2; but they aren’t popular enough to be much worth talking about. The above (except Lost Levels) comprised the vast majority of the rereleases up until DS Wii era. These 5 games are what people would consider to be the traditional 2D Mario games. The New Supe era begins which New Super Mario Bros which is essentially SMB 4. Popular series on earlier handhelds were just remakes (ie the 4 Super Mario Advance games). It’s easy to get confused bc these games have been rereleased so many times; but essentially Mario Maker 2 is only missing SMB 2 from the earlier games.

Essentially SMB 1-3 were released on NES; and SMW and Yoshi’s Island came out on SNES. The first major new release after that for 2D was New Super Mario Bros much later.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm 

Cue the SML and Lost Levels fanboys calling me a heretic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 am 

I think you sum it up well, although I'd like to make an addition: the reason SMB2 is so different from the other games is that it originally wasn't a Mario game at all. After our was decided that the lost levels (which was just called SMB2 in Japan) would not get an international release, they wanted to do something to keep Mario on the American market and keep the fans happy. So they straight to reskinned a completely unrelated game, shoehorning in Mario (and his friends, because the game they were manipulating had multiple playable characters) into a story which was so unrelated to SMB1 that they had to establish it as happening in a kind of dream world.

However, because they had to map the Mario characters to the charts they replaced in the other game, they introduced some mechanics which have since been used in other games, such as Luigi's high jump and, most prominently, Peach's ability to levitate short distances (which also made her the best character of SMB2 by a long shot, essentially making this one of the first times that a princess was more capable than the men who usually have to rescue her).

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 am 

I think one of the biggest missed opportunities is that because of the game model, they really miss the ability to genuinely expand on the possibility of the lore. The one time they really succeeded on building things out was Mario RPG. Mind you, I'm similarly of the opinion that never expanding on that side has allowed each game to be what it needs with worrying about any larger idea of lore, but as a game franchise it's not meaningful evolved it's formula in decades.

Game play, it's taken great strides, but the characters themselves have barely developed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:20 am 

Fortunately I had the Super Mario All-Stars game for my SNES.
It contains: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros. 3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 am 

On the original question, what do y’all think about the inclusion of the cape in Super Mario World? Replaying SMW, I feel like it makes a lot of levels linear and boring unless you artificially choose not to use its better abilities. It also provides almost complete invulnerability for damage boosting through most obstacles; and it breaks most of the platforming puzzles in levels that actually have a ceiling too. The thing even breaks most of the casual mario maker levels it appears in sooooo many years later. Anyone want to play devil’s advocate?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am 

mjack33 wrote:
On the original question, what do y’all think about the inclusion of the cape in Super Mario World? Replaying SMW, I feel like it makes a lot of levels linear and boring unless you artificially choose not to use its better abilities. It also provides almost complete invulnerability for damage boosting through most obstacles; and it breaks most of the platforming puzzles in levels that actually have a ceiling too. The thing even breaks most of the casual mario maker levels it appears in sooooo many years later. Anyone want to play devil’s advocate?

Sure, why not?

Spoiler Block for Length

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 am 

The other big nitpicks I have with the game is that it only let’s you save after ghost houses, fortresses, and castles; and fortresses and castles are not replayable. The player can lose several levels worth of progress on some game overs; and it’s not immediately obvious why you can’t save after a lot more levels if not all of them. The game let’s you replay ghost houses; so u aren’t even limited, so it’s just a standout qol thing. As for replaying boss levels.... more options not bad?

Minor nitpicks are a few obstacles in particular in worlds 6 and 7 that are complete 100% ****. Certain skewers and crushers are 1 hit kos. A few of these 1 hit ko obstacles are completely impossible to do on Yoshi without using an exploit. This occurs due to a combination of the size of your hit box combined with Yoshi’s inability to crouch. These problem spots tend to occur in levels that don’t normally provide you a Yoshi and/or expect you to take a different path with said Yoshi.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
The other big nitpicks I have with the game is that it only let’s you save after ghost houses, fortresses, and castles; and fortresses and castles are not replayable. The player can lose several levels worth of progress on some game overs; and it’s not immediately obvious why you can’t save after a lot more levels if not all of them. The game let’s you replay ghost houses; so u aren’t even limited, so it’s just a standout qol thing. As for replaying boss levels.... more options not bad?

I definitely agree on this point. I'm not sure if this was some technical limitation at the time (it was the first Mario game with a save feature, unless the Game Boy one did. I never played it) but it is a minor frustration. I will say that, although I don't think the game tells you this, you can replay castles and fortresses. It's been a very long time, but I think you press L and R at the same time while standing on the spot of the map.

mjack33 wrote:
Minor nitpicks are a few obstacles in particular in worlds 6 and 7 that are complete 100% ****. Certain skewers and crushers are 1 hit kos. A few of these 1 hit ko obstacles are completely impossible to do on Yoshi without using an exploit. This occurs due to a combination of the size of your hit box combined with Yoshi’s inability to crouch. These problem spots tend to occur in levels that don’t normally provide you a Yoshi and/or expect you to take a different path with said Yoshi.

I don't personally have a problem with this one, though I certainly see your point. I don't mind having to ditch Yoshi to get through certain areas of the game. What I do find annoying about some of those obstacles you are talking about is trying to get through some of them with the aforementioned cape. Sometimes you just wind up floating at precisely the wrong time, or at least I did as a kid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:24 pm 

Valley of Bowser 2 Room 2 after the optional Yoshi wings. This is the room where the yellow walls move up and down and try to crush you. One of the anti Yoshi spots is in here; and there is actually no good way to ditch Yoshi here. This means you have to backtrack through the first third of the area, ditch Yoshi at the checkpoint, then redo the first few parts of the obstacle. The entire process adds like an extra minute if you don’t want to die.

It IS possible to get through with a movement exploit; but I highly doubt most casual players would know it. You also have to know about this problem ahead of time or it’s just an extremely cheap unavoidable death due to the placement of the problem area.

Again I consider these kind of spots to be very minor; but they particularly annoy me for some reason. I guess I don’t like unavoidable deaths that punish me for having a power up.

Edit: in the given example i was trying to go for the secret exit in the 3rd area.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 am 

I've been trying to mess around and crate a variant format of magic and I'm wondering if I could shop it around here for thoughts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 am 

I'd love to hear what you've got!

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:51 am 

Cool.
This is largely first draft stuff, so it's all very alpha phase.
It utilizes a regular 60 card deck, but has certain aspects of commander thrown in.
The command zone is filled with up to 3 legendary creature 'heroes' that you begin the game with in the zone.

During combat, if an attacking creature kills a defending creature with combat damage, you create a treasure token for each creature that died that way. This treasure can be spent as normal, or you can hoard it to recast one of your 'heroes' should they die.

I'm thinking the life totals need to be raised to account for the more aggressive plays, but I'm also considering lowering hand size to dial back things like RDW aggro shenanigans (since they'll theoretically run out of gas quicker)

I'm also toying with ideas of how else to spend treasure, but it's been less effective.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:22 am 

Can heroes only be cast with treasure?

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
Can heroes only be cast with treasure?

Trying to work out if that's the case.
I think the first tome they're cast should be normal because otherwise, that's a lot of treasure.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:51 pm 

Also, is it your intention that regular treasure tokens also can be used for that purpose? Because if so, that can become a very powerful strategy.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm 

How would you pick what can go in the command zone? Is it going to be like having 3 commanders?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 421  Next