It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 421  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 pm 

Tried to come up with an example of someone I would consider to be a saint. Can’t find a single one outside of the Bible. It’s probably an unobtainable ideal.

Edit: I refuse to discuss Ghandi so pls don’t make me examine that one again.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:39 pm 

Oh no, I don't want to talk about Gandhi, other than saying that once again, everyone in human history is deeply flawed.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:35 am 

I know Gandhi best as a war-mongering psychopath armed with elements and NUCLEAR WEAPONS!. This is probably because I have played a lot of Civ in my time.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 pm 

Identity: Human
I went out to one of those independent film theaters with a friend yesterday to see another anime movie that I had heard nothing about: The Wonderland.

I left feeling it may have been the most British anime I'd ever seen. Well, truth be told, I think the set design seemed more evocative of North-Eastern Europe, but the point is still the same.

Honestly, while the animation was Ghibli-levels of top-tier quality (even including some bits of style that characterizes Ghibli films, like how tears flowed and the unbelievable surface tension in drops of tea and soup for the fairy-like character), I still didn't find it all that engaging of a movie. I didn't feel like there were any stand-out moments of animation, because the style was so... consistent? Like, there was even an underwater scene, and I couldn't help but remember how the artists who worked on The Little Mermaid studied female astronaut's hair movement in zero-G to actually understand how hair moves in water, and how The Wonderland didn't have anything approaching realistic hair movement underwater.

The story wasn't especially moving for me, either. To give it some proper credit, there were like 3 major twists that I never saw coming, but for whatever reason I couldn't become fully invested in the characters. I would normally cry at something at this level of quality, but I never came close, and on the other end of the spectrum, I only had a few chuckles at the widely-sprinkled jokes throughout.

Overall, I feel like the two anime movies I went out to see recently were misplaced in theaters. Weathering With You feels more niche and serious, while The Wonderland feels more broadly-appealing and a little more bland. The former would have made more sense in the independent theater, while the latter would have made more sense in the big theater chain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 am 

TIL November 21st is official unofficial Eevee day in Japan.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm 

Sorry for the protracted radio silence. I've just had 0 energy of late and been preoccupied to boot.
The one bright side to everything is that it looks like they FINALLY fixed something in the inventory systems at work, so my figures will be in regulations at last.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:12 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Sorry for the protracted radio silence. I've just had 0 energy of late and been preoccupied to boot.
The one bright side to everything is that it looks like they FINALLY fixed something in the inventory systems at work, so my figures will be in regulations at last.

On the one hand, I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch, especially since I've gone through similar in the past. On the other hand, it sounds like things are on the mend, so I'm glad for you.

mjack33 wrote:
TIL November 21st is official unofficial Eevee day in Japan.

That is SURPRISINGLY relevant to me, to the point where I think you're more attentive than I am.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:54 am 

What is the definition of attentive being used?

I found out through random chance and figured a few people here would find it cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 pm 

Here are some random old posts of mine, presented completely out of context and from different threads, for no adequately explored reason.

Enjoy!

RavenoftheBlack, on October 3, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, sadly I often use the word "hypothetical" in admittedly deceitful ways. I am remorseful...

:(

RavenoftheBlack, on October 4, 2013 wrote:
If this is going to be a BAT-tle of animal puns, I can take on all you COW-ards. But OWL go easy on you. After all, I deeply CARIBOU-t all of you!

RavenoftheBlack, on October 5, 2013 wrote:
Looks good to me.

RavenoftheBlack, on October 6, 2013 wrote:
Have you ever felt like you needed a nice, warm, relaxing bath? And so you get in the tub and turn on the water, and it steams up nice and hot? And it's very pleasant and relaxing, but then hot gravel comes out the faucet and it's very weird and rough, but it's still pleasant, but you're confused because you have no idea what's going on? Yeah, that's what it like listening to Tom Waits.

RavenoftheBlack, on October 7, 2013 wrote:
Huh. I had never seen that one before.

Well done.

RavenoftheBlack, on October 8, 2013 wrote:
I'm in. How do you want to do it? No restrictions?

:takei:

Okay, that's enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:56 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Alright then! That was... interesting?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 am 

So, I was actually inspired to write a little poem, but it isn't Magic related. In fact, it was inspired by a completely different (though related) franchise! But I figured I'd post it here, just to see if anyone else here might know what I'm referring to. I guess it's technically a spoiler, but unless you're already familiar with the source material the spoiler will be so far out of context that or shouldn't matter.

Walnut's lullaby

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:24 am 

Alright then! That was... interesting?

Nope. Not even a little. :D

Aaarrrgh wrote:
So, I was actually inspired to write a little poem, but it isn't Magic related. In fact, it was inspired by a completely different (though related) franchise! But I figured I'd post it here, just to see if anyone else here might know what I'm referring to. I guess it's technically a spoiler, but unless you're already familiar with the source material the spoiler will be so far out of context that or shouldn't matter.

Walnut's lullaby

Nice! I do not think that I am familiar with the source material, or if I am it is not clicking for me, but I like the poem that came from it. Good meter, good rhyme, and so good, clear imagery. I like it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am 

Thank you for reading! The last two lines popped into my head and refused to leave until I made them a proper home, and this was the result. I'm not surprised if you don't know the source material. I only discovered it myself about a month ago.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:03 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
What is the definition of attentive being used?

I found out through random chance and figured a few people here would find it cool.

Well... I'll let you find out on Eevee day, then.

Here are some random old posts of mine, presented completely out of context and from different threads, for no adequately explored reason.

Hey, I recognize some of these! The animal puns in particular I've come across before, as I search for other old posts or threads. I believe either I or Orcish ended that chain with "I love you guys."

Aaarrrgh wrote:

Walnut's lullaby

The only thing this really reminds me of is the song Little Sister by Tarby & Aviators, but considering what that song is based on, I am highly doubtful. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "related franchise," honestly, as I could take that in a few ways.

As for the poem itself, I like it. It feels kind of Poe-etic to me, based on what little I know of his work. I feel like I can't really comment further than that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:57 am 

The related franchise is D&D. Specifically Acquisitions Incorporated: The C Team, a D&D campaign being played live on Twitch and run by Jerry Holkins of PennyArcade fame. I've been bingeing it on Youtube lately, because there's a lot of it. The poem was inspired by a moment where Walnut (the party's druid) summoned a dryad which was basically a living siege engine in order to win a particularly gruesome battle.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 am 

TIL November 21st is Luna’s bday. Well then I’m guessing Nintendo made y’all super ecstatic in 2018. Nintendo petition was for that day due to their recent release.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:47 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
TIL November 21st is Luna’s bday. Well then I’m guessing Nintendo made y’all super ecstatic in 2018. Nintendo petition was for that day due to their recent release.

A quick google search gave me nothing for Nov 21 of 2018 -- it appears as if no game of note came out for any system came out on that day -- so I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Unless you're talking about the Let's Go games that had come out on 16th, in which case...

Look, I like the Let's Go games more than any of the 3D Pokémon games -- yes, that's probably in large part due to nostalgia from being an OG Pokémon kid, but it's also because there's no real pretense here of it being anything other than a kid's game, which is really freeing, especially since I was the kind of person that (even before the internet, by use of game guides) would plan their entire team before even playing the game; I was never the kind to rely on my starter and it was absurdly fun to just have Fluffybottom just go and destroy entire teams by themselves -- but it is not what I would call a good game, and it wasn't even fun enough for me to stick with it more than two gyms.

The biggest problem it has is that it recreates the entire level design from the gen1 games, and they patently do not work in this remake.
  • The 3D environment makes trainer vision not make any sense
  • wild pokemon appearing in the overworld map (while I think that's something that the series has needed for a long time) do not mesh well with neither grassy patches nor caves
  • the shift in the battle mechanics that have happened over the generations (the physical/special split, the moves added to pokemon's movelist, the type changes to some old pokemon like Magnemite and Clefairy, etc.) simply ravages the actually-quite-ingenious balancing with the original game, especially early on, ESPECIALLY the hidden difficulty selector via the three starters
  • the friend they replaced Gary with does nothing to actually motivate you to keep going and/or be better (and sometimes gives you horrendous dialogue options)
  • probably the worst of it is that the overpowered starter you get goes against the ENTIRE IDEA of the creature collecting that Pokémon is based on, because you almost never have to send them out (this goes double for Eevee because it's given a selection of basically any type move that is ALSO overpowered)
That's just what I can remember off the top of my head. The forced motion controls are another problem entirely, but they're more of an annoyance with the basic design than how the game works as intended (if that makes sense?).

Also, wow, I didn't expect to go on that long about it. Sorry, those all sounded so short in my head. The basic point is, Pokémon as a series left me behind when they went 3D, and I enjoyed a bit of Let's Go Eevee, but I don't think it's a good game and I am NOT a Nintendo fanboy.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The related franchise is D&D. Specifically Acquisitions Incorporated: The C Team, a D&D campaign being played live on Twitch and run by Jerry Holkins of PennyArcade fame. I've been bingeing it on Youtube lately, because there's a lot of it. The poem was inspired by a moment where Walnut (the party's druid) summoned a dryad which was basically a living siege engine in order to win a particularly gruesome battle.

... Who?

In all seriousness, I only vaguely know that Acquisitions Incorporated is one of those D&D streams because they've done some board game crossover things and a friend has told me that's what they are. I have tried to watch two different Matts run a D&D stream, and neither has captured my attention. (For reference, I'm referring to Matthew Mercer of Critical Role and Matthew Colville of MCDM, AKA "The Bearded One.")

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 pm 

Jerry Holkins, aka Tycho, is one of the creators of the Penny Arcade webcomic and co-founder of both the PAX conventions and the Extra Life charity. Back in 2008 he and some others were given the opportunity to try a preview adventure of the then unreleased D&D 4e run by Chris Perkins. They decided to form an adventuring company called Aqcuisitions Incorporated. They enjoyed it a lot, and kept doing it until they transferred to 5e, and although it has mostly become a rare thing which happens at PAX live shows, the campaign still continues. I have not watched it listened to the podcast much, but I have really gotten into the C Team.

So what is the C Team? Well, Jerry did a lot of background work on his character. A LOT. Too much for them to properly explore in the campaign. So Jerry did the natural thing: he created this own campaign where his character just hired a new team and made them investigate some of the weird stuff from his childhood. And it's really entertaining, at least to me. I've watched about a season and a half of it, and there's a lot of both drama and humor.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm 

In my opinion counting in a language means you understand both the pictographic component and the phonetics. I can only reliably count to 2 in Japanese; so I don’t know why Eevee is a play on words from 11 21; but apparently it is. So fans were trying to make it a thing before Nintendo decided to. Nintendo decided to keep the fan date, which is why it’s not the official release of 11/16 instead.

You ARE an Eevee fanboy. I assume you wanted the game just to interact with it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
In my opinion counting in a language means you understand both the pictographic component and the phonetics.

It kind of goes deeper than that -- languages impose a way of thinking about numbers to native speakers, and even people who learn another language often count to themselves in manners that would be foreign to a native speaker. For instance, in English, we have distinct names for the numbers 11 and 12 before it becomes [x]-teen; Spanish counts up to 14 before going 10-and-[x]; meanwhile French goes up to 16 before using 10-[x].

I realize that's not exactly what you were driving at, but as I'm a bit of a language nerd, I like sharing weird tidbits of linguistics knowledge I've gathered. Human culture can get weird, man.

Quote:
I can only reliably count to 2 in Japanese; so I don’t know why Eevee is a play on words from 11 21; but apparently it is. So fans were trying to make it a thing before Nintendo decided to. Nintendo decided to keep the fan date, which is why it’s not the official release of 11/16 instead.

You ARE an Eevee fanboy. I assume you wanted the game just to interact with it.

OOOOOOOOH!

It took a long while for it to sink in, but I finally got it. I can kind of count in Japanese,* but it kind of goes deeper than that, and I had to take a close look at this announcement image from the Japanese twitter fangroup to finally get it.

In the simplest terms, it's the kind of wordplay that is still kind of stretching it, even for the pun, because it's a lot like saying "one-one-two-one" instead of "eleven-twenty-one." I think I'd more equate the wordplay to our use of Latin and Greek number roots (octo-, duo-, etc.), because there's also no sane reason to pronounce the numbers in that way other than for this very specific reference.

Also, to be entirely fair, I've mainly leaned into the Eevee thing because I have this great... I guess I'd call it an arts-and-craft project, that I made which I can use as an avatar. I have a lot of pokemon that I really love (and I love the entire Eeveelution line equally [except maybe the ribbon fairy-type one], not just Eevee above the others ), and the biggest reason I wanted to play the Let's Go games was because they were gen1 remakes, which meant I didn't have to worry about 1,024 different evolutionary lines and 300 poorly-implemented legendaries. The fact that I already liked Eevee and that Fluffybottom gets voice lines (even if they are just Kirby sounds) and makes faces was all just a plus.

And just because I worry I'm sounding all nitpicky again, I am glad you shared and I'm just making talk about language and Pokémon; I just tend to go LONG when I talk about any video game I've played, because I try to analyze things to death.

*there are a few oddities in Japanese counting, much like the aforementioned "distinct names for 11 and 12" that just have to be memorized, that I haven't yet, but I have the basic system down

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 421  Next