It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:23 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

One of white's biggest struggles in Magic is ramp. This becomes particularly problematic in Commander, where the player who accumulates the most resources in the form of cards and mana often wins the game. The limited mana acceleration available to white often forces it to rely on artifacts for ramp, or to be paired with another color.

In Ravnica Allegiance, white Commander players were blessed with Smothering Tithe, which is an excellent form of mana acceleration made available to white. It works from a flavor perspective — taxation is a form of law, and white requires that the law be obeyed.

And so, inspired by Smothering Tithe, I present Wartime Taxkeeper:

Wartime Taxkeeper
Creature — Human Advisor (R)
1/3
Lifelink
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, create a Treasure token unless its controller pays .
"Even in times of violence, the Orzhov coffers remain overflowing. Wait, did I say ‘even?’ I meant ‘especially.’"
—Dolim, Vizkopan banker

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am 

oh right this exists huh

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 am 

Natural Resurgence -
Instant
Return up to three target creatures which died this turn to the battlefield under their owner's control.

I like green as a colour which primarily has answers to answers. My ideal image of green as a colour broadly speaking (and mechanically speaking) is one that focuses primarily on building its own boardstate, and secondarily on stopping opponents from interfering with its boardstate. Green is unique in that it doesn't generally seek to interfere with the opponent's boardstate, especially when compared to the other four colours, and so I'd like to see more "answers to answers" in green in general.

The mechanic in this card is effectively flexible regneration (regenerate target creature). Regeneration is a clunky mechanic that is effectively the same as short-term reanimation but with tapping built in for some reaso, less synergy with ETB effects, and wording thats kind of hard to understand. I'd like to see regeneration in green, particularly of the flexible variety, removed and replaced with short-term reanimation. (reanimate a creature that died this turn). Green reanimation differs from black/white reanimation in this context in that its limited to ressurecting creatures that died, has a time limit on when they can do it, and can't steal creatures from your opponent's yard. Green already has access to this effect, but in very conservative quantities; I'd like to see it become more common, so that in a normal environment green will typically have a way to answer creature removal. The effect also acts as a combat trick, which fits perfectly into green's pie but also makes it harder to balance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 pm 

Break in half :1::g:
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature or artifact if its converted mana cost is lower than the converted mana cost of a creature you control.

In some limited envirorments prey upon kinda sucks due to the similar creature size. this might be another tool to keep fresh how green removal works from set to set. Could also destroy enchantments if I found a better flavor for it

Last edited by Hello World on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 am 

Thistle Elk -
Creature - Elemental Elk | C
Lifelink
Whenever Thistle Elk fights, you gain 2 life.
Experienced travelers don't dare to hunt the elk of the Blusterwilds. The dew from their antlers provide much needed nourishment after a long day's journey.
2/4

Green should certainly be secondary or tertiary for lifelink.
It's creature-based lifegain. What's more green than that?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am 

Gulping Maw
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant a creature you control.
Flash
When Gulping Maw enters the battlefield, exile target creature until Gulping Maw leaves the battlefield.

MaRo had tried to get O-ring like effects into Green recently, mostly because it would be another fun way for Green to use its own creatures to deal with other creatures, but unfortunately seems to have lost that fight with the rest of R&D. I think it would be good as an add-in to big creatures who can swallow their rivals whole, and also be a cute aura like this to slap on whatever you want on occasion.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:00 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Smokebringer Devil
Creature - Devil (C)
When Smokebringer Devil enters the battlefield, exile up to one target artifact or creature an opponent controls. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
"Spend enough time in these parts, fog won't scare you anymore. Smoke, on the other hand..."
⁠—Wendin, veteran cathar

2/1

Spoiler

Last edited by CommanderJim on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
12 hours remaining!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm 

Identity: Rubik
Claim Soul -
Sorcery
Gain control of target nonartifact creature unless its controller pays 5 life.
You'll pay my price, one way or the other.

-

Gaining control of things permanently is tertiary in black and it's pretty underused considering that thematically "taking things" feels very black.

I feel like it's pretty black to either give the opponent a choice between two bad options (what I did here) or to pay your own additional price (which I didn't do, this time) for black doing something it doesn't often do, as black often bends the rules with a cost or condition like this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
I know that red already gets fight secondary (e.g. Joust, the only mono-red card with "fight" in Standard) but it's such a woefully underrepresented mechanic in the color for how "red" a verb "fight" is.

Red should get way more "fight" than it does right now, but with a few conditions -- red creatures don't choose to fight (no fighting as an activated ability or on an instant/sorcery (in this respect I feel like Joust isn't a great flavor match for red); no "may" conditional on any red fighting). Red creatures either come out swinging (etb effects) or they get pissed about something happening on the battlefield (triggered ability).

Charger of Ludus
Creature — Minotaur Berserker
At the beginning of combat on your turn, Charger of Ludus fights target enchantment creature, artifact creature, enchanted creature, or equipped creature.
Temples built to Ludus are hewn from rough, dun-colored sandstone. Anything more brilliant would infuriate the minotaurs who worship there.
4/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Round 6

The color pie is the centerpiece of all that Magic is. When I was emailing with sarah in preparation for the launching of these very boards, I actually suggested "colorpie.com" as a name for the site! No Goblins Allowed was a better fit, we both agreed, because it was inclusive towards the D&D people she wanted to bring over from the official boards as well. But the fact that it's such a emblematically fundamental part of the game's design is telling by how its very name was even in the running.

But the color pie evolves. Sometimes things change. Sometimes colors don't have access to things that perhaps they should, or other colors have access to too many things. A lot of Blue's tenure, most famously, has shifted to the other colors over the years, and Blizzard often likes to print cards like Hornet Sting to push the boundaries of what colors are capable of getting away with.

There are also holes in the color pie. One of the longest-running threads on these boards is dedicated to finding the ever-elusive blue/red evergreen creature keyword. Over on mtgsalvation, they're on their own quest to discover the same thing, only in blue/black. Other white whales of keyword design include something that looks good on a black creature too big for deathtouch to be mechanically appealing, ways to make haste matter beyond the first turn (just recently addressed by Gingerbrute), and new ways to differentiate green from red and white.

For this round, basically I want you to pick something you'd like to change about (or add to) the color pie, and make a card that you could see being printed today in a regular, everyday set, that would help push the pie in that direction. This isn't Planar Chaos—I'm challenging you to be restrained in your efforts to bend the color pie without breaking it.

dog wrote:
Salty Dogs |
Creature - Elemental Hound
When Salty Dogs enters the battlefield, tap all nonbasic lands. They don’t untap during their controller’s next untap step.
They blew in with the ocean breeze and exited with the tides, leaving the beachfront a briny disarray.
3/1

*woof*

Wildshaper
Creature - Human Druid
Deathtouch
When Wildshaper enters the battlefield, target creature becomes a 3/3 green Beast with no abilities until Wildshaper leaves the battlefield.
"Shed off the masks civilization forces you to don, and you will witness your true self; if you see a monstrous beast now, then you were only pretending to be an upstanding citizen."
[1/2]

Blurb

Intro

Seal Arcana
:1::w:
Instant
Exile target instant or sorcery spell. For as long as it remains in exile, its owner may cast it. It costs an additional :2: to cast this turn.

Outro

Confused wrote:
Blurb

Wary Jaguar -
Creature - Cat
Flash
When ~ enters or leaves the battlefield, you gain 2 life
Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, return ~ to its owner's hand.
3/3

YingLung wrote:
Intro

Thaumic Rupture
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller sacrifices target non-enchantment permanent they control.
Fine manipulation of magical energies requires years of study and practice. It takes much less time if you don't care about collateral damage.

Outro

Flopfoot wrote:
Earth Rejoices - :2::w:
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, up to two target lands you control become 0/0 Elemental creatures until end of turn. Then creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
”I tell you,” he replied, ”if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” -Luke 19:40

Knight Otu wrote:
Blurb

Subservient Ghouls
Creature - Zombie
Menace
Flash
If damage would be dealt to you or a planeswalker you control, that damage is dealt to Subservient Ghouls instead.
3/6

Blurb

Squatter Prospector
Creature-Dwarf (U)
When Squatter Prospector enters the battlefield, gain control of target land for as long as you control Squatter Prospector
It's been his claim ever since he jumped on it
2/2

Cato wrote:
Blurb

Jeweled Raptor :3::g::g:
Creature - Dinosaur (R)
Haste
All creatures able to block Jeweled Raptor do so.
3/3
It streaked across the clearing in a flash of brilliant color, and the dazzled pirates could not help but give chase.

Blurb

Wartime Taxkeeper
Creature — Human Advisor (R)
1/3
Lifelink
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, create a Treasure token unless its controller pays .
"Even in times of violence, the Orzhov coffers remain overflowing. Wait, did I say ‘even?’ I meant ‘especially.’"
—Dolim, Vizkopan banker

Blurb

Temporal Bargain
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~, pay half your life and discard half your hand. Round up each time.
Take an extra turn after this one.
In his quest for greatness, he discovered the cost of eternity.

Ragnarokio wrote:
Natural Resurgence -
Instant
Return up to three target creatures which died this turn to the battlefield under their owner's control.

Blurb

Break in half :1::g:
Instant (U)
Destroy target creature or artifact if its converted mana cost is lower than the converted mana cost of a creature you control.

Blurb

BelangiaJo wrote:
Thistle Elk -
Creature - Elemental Elk | C
Lifelink
Whenever Thistle Elk fights, you gain 2 life.
Experienced travelers don't dare to hunt the elk of the Blusterwilds. The dew from their antlers provide much needed nourishment after a long day's journey.
2/4

Blurb

AzureShade wrote:
Gulping Maw
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant a creature you control.
Flash
When Gulping Maw enters the battlefield, exile target creature until Gulping Maw leaves the battlefield.

Blurb

Smokebringer Devil
Creature - Devil (C)
When Smokebringer Devil enters the battlefield, exile up to one target artifact or creature an opponent controls. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
"Spend enough time in these parts, fog won't scare you anymore. Smoke, on the other hand..."
⁠—Wendin, veteran cathar

2/1

Blurb

Rubik wrote:
Claim Soul -
Sorcery
Gain control of target nonartifact creature unless its controller pays 5 life.
You'll pay my price, one way or the other.

Blurb

Blurb

Charger of Ludus
Creature — Minotaur Berserker
At the beginning of combat on your turn, Charger of Ludus fights target enchantment creature, artifact creature, enchanted creature, or equipped creature.
Temples built to Ludus are hewn from rough, dun-colored sandstone. Anything more brilliant would infuriate the minotaurs who worship there.
4/3

Best of luck to all! Next round starts towards the end of next week.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:21 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Somebody tell me how much I suck

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm 

Somebody tell me how much I suck

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'm gonna focus more on the idea here than the card. specifically, I'm interested in a) is it a real shift, and b) did you do a good job justifying it? the card will, of course, be an important part of that, but my main focus is how you approached the problem.

comments

rankings

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Aren't you forgetting something?

EDIT: apparently Parad was the one who forgot it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
oh dang

Cato

I'll add you to the rankings.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
There's 3 mono green creatures with haste in standard. That's less than one per set.
There's 16 red ones, which is an average of over 3 per set.

Green haste is deciduous, not evergreen. It's not r/g in the same sense that flying is w/u.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:18 pm 

Quote:
this feels a bit too timid about it

Honestly, I thought that was the point of the round, to make a timid step towards the color pie we envision, rather than what it would look like if the color pie was shifted to already be there. It should be a hornet sting, not a green lightning bolt.

ParadOxymoron wrote:
make a card that you could see being printed today in a regular, everyday set, that would help push the pie in that direction. This isn't Planar Chaos—I'm challenging you to be restrained in your efforts to bend the color pie without breaking it.

But I suppose it is possible that my card is still too small of a colorbleed even in that context.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Cato wrote:
Aren't you forgetting something?

EDIT: apparently Parad was the one who forgot it.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!! There's no excuse. Added you to the post now FWIW. go green haste!!!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:13 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Rankings

Comments

Cato

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next