It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Singleton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2016
Posts: 1418
I'm guessing that since it's singleton, either you go green with ramp & fixing or you play two colors. In the latter case I have no idea which colors have the best synergy. What're people playing?


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
I've brewed up a couple decks, but have had the most success with Azorius Control:

1 x Opt
1 x Spell Pierce
1 x Syncopate

1 x Baffling End
1 x Seal Away
1 x Blink of an Eye
1 x Disdainful Stroke
1 x Essence Scatter
1 x Negate
1 x Search for Azcanta
1 x Dovin's Veto
1 x Warrant // Warden

1 x Deputy of Detention
1 x Prison Realm
1 x Narset, Parter of Veils
1 x Sinister Sabotage
1 x Thought Collapse
1 x Wizard's Retort
1 x Absorb
1 x Teferi, Time Raveler

1 x Ixalan's Binding
1 x Settle the Wreckage
1 x Chemister's Insight
1 x Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
1 x Karn, Scion of Urza

1 x Angel of Grace
1 x Lyra Dawnbringer
1 x Cleansing Nova
1 x Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
1 x Time Wipe

1 x Dream Eater
1 x Azor, the Lawbringer
1 x Commence the Endgame
1 x Ugin, the Ineffable

1 x Nezahal, Primal Tide

6 x Plains
10 x Island
1 x Azorius Guildgate
1 x Blast Zone
1 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Field of Ruin
1 x Glacial Fortress
1 x Hallowed Fountain
1 x Meandering River
1 x Memorial to Genius
1 x Memorial to Glory


Nothing too crazy. Counters, removal, carddraw, wincons, your bog-standard control deck.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 24, 2017
Posts: 1697
Location: Cucho Lambreta#13992
No Kefnet, Kasmina or Saheli?
Seems good but a bit shy on card advantage

_________________
NGA LEAGUE
:planeswalker:


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Kefnet hits a grand total of... 4 spells that you should reveal to it (Opt, Chemister's Insight, Warden, Commence the Endgame), plus the deck wants to play at instant speed mostly.
Saheeli is out for a similar reason; I can't just sling a spell to make a 1/1 when I need it.
Kasmina would be decent, but not as good as the other Walkers (plus I don't have much use for her passive).

The deck has a ton of card advantage already between the 6 walkers, Search, Narset and the two draw spells; plus (depending on the matchup) Nezahal and Azor or sweepers.
If you feel like that's not enough, consider adding Precognitive Perception or Patient Rebuilding, though I don't think you have an easy cut and it does up the curve.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:03 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 03, 2013
Posts: 2751
I've gone 2-2 with this golgari pile. Still have pretty limited access to cards.

1 x spark harvest
1 x Llanowar Elves
1 x Status//Statue
1 x Arguel's Blood Fast
1 x Druid of the Cowl
1 x Elfhame Druid
1 x Kraul Harpooner
1 x Paradise Druid
1 x Rabid Bite
1 x Vivien's Arcbow
1 x Band Together
1 x Gift of Paradise
1 x Kraul Stinger
1 x New Horizons
1 x Reclamation Sage
1 x Thrashing Brontodon
1 x Leyline Prowler
1 x Demon of Catastrophies
1 x Ravenous Chupacabra
1 x Vraska's Contempt
1 x Centaur Nurturer
1 x Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
1 x Vine Mare
1 x Deathsprout
1 x Biogenic Ooze
1 x Challenger Troll
1 x God Eternal Rhonas
1 x Wardscale Crocodile
1 x Gravewaker
1 x Lilliana, Dreadhorde General
1 x Urgoros, the Empty One
1 x Vengent Vampire
1 x Aggressive Mammoth
1 x Casualties of War
1 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Ghalta, Primal Hunger
9 x Swamp
11 x Forest
1 x Foul Orchard
1 x Golgari Guildgate
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Woodland Cemetary


Most of the people I run into are just playing ramp into big ****.

Every time I had Rec Sage her ability was useless and I wished she had been a big fatty so I'm sending her off to weightlifting camp. Not sure what she's gonna look like when she gets back.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:47 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 07, 2015
Posts: 582
Location: Austria
I will again try these decks:

https://mtgazone.com/articles/guide-to- ... singleton/

Mono Green: 1-3
Mono White: 4-0
Gruul: 3-1
Merfolk: 1-3
Grixis: 3-1
Sultai: 3-2


Last edited by DaRkStAr on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:04 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2016
Posts: 1418
Got my 15 wins with Azorius control too (actually UW splash black). Never felt like I needed to swap. Compared to modulo's list, I had something like:

- Warrant//Warden (okay, I had this in my list in the 15 wins, but it felt like one of the weaker cards)
- Blink of an Eye (what's the point of this card? It's just a bad cycler)
- Jace (for a UUU card, the effect just isn't powerful enough)
- Search for Azcanta (seems like there aren't enough instants & sorceries to reliably hit)
- Thought Collapse (a weak counterspell)
- Ixalan's Binding (considering it's singletone, this card does literally nothing better than Conclave Tribunal)
- Karn (not high enough impact)
- Angel of Grace (didn't feel powerful enough)
- Azor, the Lawbringer (same as above)
- Commence the Endgame (too slow)
- Nezahal (unnecessary)

+ Sphinx of Foresight (whatever else it may be, it's a 4-mana 4/4 flyer that generates value every turn)
+ Kefnet (same as above, it's a 4-mana 4/5 flyer)
+ Kasmina (too good to not run imo)
+ Conclave Tribunal (replacing Ixalan's Binding)
+ The Immortal Sun (because why not?)
+ Ethereal Absolution (the reason for the black splash. This together with TIS are unbeatable limited bombs, and this format is half limited)
+ Dovin, Grand Arbiter (too powerful to not run imo)
+ Essence Capture (because why not?)
+ Elite Guardmage (wasn't spectacular, but solidly useful)
+ Mass Manipulation (this might have been too ambitious)
+ Entrancing Melody (superb against creatures, and virtually everyone has creatures)
+ Finale of Revelation (much better as a draw spell than Commence the Endgame)

With 26 lands. Single color decks I think are subpar; you can easily afford two colors and you're going to find stronger cards elsewhere given the card pool.

When all's said and done I think it's fair to say that Singleton is the REAL War of the Mythics. Jam all the mythics & rares you got, see what comes out.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2013
Posts: 4396
Location: 1,824.5 meters underground.
Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Beast didn't change much with War and it's still a beast. Started the run late last night. 2-0 so far before I had to crash.

1 x Llanowar Elves
11 x Forest
1 x Kraul Harpooner
1 x Saproling Migration
1 x Sporecrown Thallid
1 x Yavimaya Sapherd
1 x Beast Whisperer
1 x Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
1 x Path of Discovery
1 x Spore Swarm
1 x Vine Mare
1 x Tendershoot Dryad
1 x Carnage Tyrant
1 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Dead Weight
11 x Swamp
1 x Fungal Infection
1 x Vicious Offering
1 x Deathbloom Thallid
1 x Murder
1 x Ravenous Chupacabra
1 x Incubation Druid
1 x Vraska's Contempt
1 x Doom Whisperer
1 x Slimefoot, the Stowaway
1 x Poison-Tip Archer
1 x Vraska, Relic Seeker
1 x Woodland Cemetery
1 x Vivien Reid
1 x Plaguecrafter
1 x Demon of Catastrophes
1 x Rise from the Grave
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Vivien, Champion of the Wilds
1 x Territorial Allosaurus
1 x Cry of the Carnarium
1 x Spawn of Mayhem
1 x Ritual of Soot
1 x The Eldest Reborn
1 x Ob Nixilis's Cruelty


Op let me attack in with the Saps before I roasted them with Soot.
Brings them down to 9 and they concede during my first match. Second match was the weirdest and kind of doesn't count. I played Llanawar and they conceded. LoL
Still it's 2-0 so far and I'll take it.
Image

_________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:36 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Banedon wrote:
Got my 15 wins with Azorius control too (actually UW splash black). Never felt like I needed to swap. Compared to modulo's list, I had something like:

- Warrant//Warden (okay, I had this in my list in the 15 wins, but it felt like one of the weaker cards)
- Blink of an Eye (what's the point of this card? It's just a bad cycler)
- Jace (for a UUU card, the effect just isn't powerful enough)
- Search for Azcanta (seems like there aren't enough instants & sorceries to reliably hit)
- Thought Collapse (a weak counterspell)
- Ixalan's Binding (considering it's singletone, this card does literally nothing better than Conclave Tribunal)
- Karn (not high enough impact)
- Angel of Grace (didn't feel powerful enough)
- Azor, the Lawbringer (same as above)
- Commence the Endgame (too slow)
- Nezahal (unnecessary)

+ Sphinx of Foresight (whatever else it may be, it's a 4-mana 4/4 flyer that generates value every turn)
+ Kefnet (same as above, it's a 4-mana 4/5 flyer)
+ Kasmina (too good to not run imo)
+ Conclave Tribunal (replacing Ixalan's Binding)
+ The Immortal Sun (because why not?)
+ Ethereal Absolution (the reason for the black splash. This together with TIS are unbeatable limited bombs, and this format is half limited)
+ Dovin, Grand Arbiter (too powerful to not run imo)
+ Essence Capture (because why not?)
+ Elite Guardmage (wasn't spectacular, but solidly useful)
+ Mass Manipulation (this might have been too ambitious)
+ Entrancing Melody (superb against creatures, and virtually everyone has creatures)
+ Finale of Revelation (much better as a draw spell than Commence the Endgame)

With 26 lands. Single color decks I think are subpar; you can easily afford two colors and you're going to find stronger cards elsewhere given the card pool.

When all's said and done I think it's fair to say that Singleton is the REAL War of the Mythics. Jam all the mythics & rares you got, see what comes out.



I'm a few wins off still, but haven't had tons of time to play. I'm like 12-1 or something with my list.
I can see cutting Thought Collapse and Azor, though I have yet to draw and play the latter funnily enough. Also, I can definitely see running Entrancing Melody; Mass Manip I do think is too taxing on the manabase though.

Your changes definitely signify an approach very differently from mine. I personally value role compression very highly, and cards like Blink of an Eye, Warrant // Warden, Commence the Endgame and (to an extent) Angel of Grace provide just that.
Meanwhile, you put more of a focus on bomb-quality cards like Mass Manip, Ethereal Absolution, The Immortal Sun and Finale of Revelation.
In that regard I'm actually very surprised that you run the sigificantly less powerful 4-mana cards (Kasmina, Elite Guardmage) over the two more powerful options (Karn, Jace).

Cutting Search must be a mistake; keep in mind that its activated ability does not only find instants/sorceries, but noncreature spells (like Narset)

Ixalan's Binding has the slightest niche over Tribunal of singlehandedly shutting down Petitioners and Rats. It's nitpicking, but I like that better than rarely costing 1 mana less.

Regarding the choice of wincons, I think that's up to personal preference by quite a bit. I don't think Absolution is worth the splash personally and I dislike The Immortal Sun in a deck with 6+ planeswalkers; but to each their own.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2013
Posts: 4396
Location: 1,824.5 meters underground.
Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
My feeling is Singleton isn't about a certain wincon, at least not in a single card. What are the odds you will be able to play it? That's why I've chose to pretty much stick with the go wide early Saproling set up. There are more than one choice spell that can be used as a wincon or you can just beat them down with little dudes. I know to each their own but this idea has treated me very well since basically the beginning of them offering Singleton.

_________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:12 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 07, 2015
Posts: 582
Location: Austria
DaRkStAr wrote:
I will again try these decks:

https://mtgazone.com/articles/guide-to- ... singleton/

Mono Green: 1-3
Mono White: 4-0
Gruul: 3-1
Merfolk: 1-3
Grixis: 3-1
Sultai: 3-2

update


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:34 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Interesting. My two losses with Azorius were against fast mono-Green draws, so I'm somewhat irked to see the 1-3 with that deck. Probably just a bad matchup and Azorius is not all that common, but still.

I'm really surprised by the 4-0 with mono-White; I don't think that deck is good at all against the more common grindy decks. I guess it punishes Petitioners and the greedy 5c decks, but it should lose against anything decently control-ish.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 07, 2015
Posts: 582
Location: Austria
the green deck was just always too slow, and when I had a good board state I still hadn't good options to end the game soon.

the white deck often felt as strong as the white deck in standard. With a good starting hand it's pretty hard to lose the game.

Edit: the grixis deck was surprisingly the deck I liked the most here.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:05 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Posts: 474
Banedon wrote:
When all's said and done I think it's fair to say that Singleton is the REAL War of the Mythics. Jam all the mythics & rares you got, see what comes out.

That's been my experience as well. I don't get how Modulo can pull off that win-rate when every game of mine feels like a crapshoot - cast bigger bombs faster - tactical level of Momir.

number 1 game-winning tip: be on the play!

3-color sucks and gets eaten by the swarm of mono-decks due to all the taplands.

Have a nice week guys.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2016
Posts: 1418
Modulo wrote:
I'm a few wins off still, but haven't had tons of time to play. I'm like 12-1 or something with my list.
I can see cutting Thought Collapse and Azor, though I have yet to draw and play the latter funnily enough. Also, I can definitely see running Entrancing Melody; Mass Manip I do think is too taxing on the manabase though.

Your changes definitely signify an approach very differently from mine. I personally value role compression very highly, and cards like Blink of an Eye, Warrant // Warden, Commence the Endgame and (to an extent) Angel of Grace provide just that.
Meanwhile, you put more of a focus on bomb-quality cards like Mass Manip, Ethereal Absolution, The Immortal Sun and Finale of Revelation.
In that regard I'm actually very surprised that you run the sigificantly less powerful 4-mana cards (Kasmina, Elite Guardmage) over the two more powerful options (Karn, Jace).

Cutting Search must be a mistake; keep in mind that its activated ability does not only find instants/sorceries, but noncreature spells (like Narset)

Ixalan's Binding has the slightest niche over Tribunal of singlehandedly shutting down Petitioners and Rats. It's nitpicking, but I like that better than rarely costing 1 mana less.

Regarding the choice of wincons, I think that's up to personal preference by quite a bit. I don't think Absolution is worth the splash personally and I dislike The Immortal Sun in a deck with 6+ planeswalkers; but to each their own.


It's definitely possible the approach is wrong but I just don't see why Blink of an Eye is worth running for example. It's just a 4-mana cycler. Commence the Endgame doesn't make sense either, you draw 2 cards and make what's likely to be a 4/4? vanilla creature, but you could equally be casting Finale of Revelation to draw even more cards (most of which would be stronger than a 4/4 vanilla). Angel of Grace is usually a big flash threat. I don't doubt it's playable, but I wanted to keep the curve lower.

Kasmina is quite strong: she's proactive, has a relevant static, and if unmolested puts 4/4 worth of stats on the board while looting twice. I think power level wise she's stronger than Jace. Jace draws a card every turn but that's it - he has no other relevant abilities and the ultimate is not strong either. Coupled with his UUU cost I think he's just inferior. As for Karn, I tried him and he wasn't impressive since you draw weaker cards, and his -2 mode is poor. 2/2s block better than 1/1s after all. Elite Guardmage is probably replaceable. He was okay, but not spectacular.

It's possible Search is great especially since it's 2 CMC. I didn't run into any Petitioners or Rats decks, but against those I imagine the sweepers would win the game. With Kasmina, Conclave Tribunal's mana reduction can potentially matter (it happened for me).

As for Ethereal Absolution, I think it was worth it. With four rare duals, I'm 4x more likely to be able to cast it than I am to have it dead in my hand. The effect's very powerful, immediately impacts the board too. The Sun might just be a legacy of me playing Selesnya tokens in GRN standard. I'm OK with it shutting off my own planeswalkers since I'm going to win eventually anyway.

Anyway we certainly have different approaches. You try to not tap out, while I'm happy to do so. It's the same approach I take in limited - if I have something to cast, I do it, otherwise I hold up countermagic. It could certainly be my lack of experience playing draw-go control though.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:34 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2015
Posts: 3865
I took inspiration from Guardian Project and just did a Simic proliferate-counter deck. Also because I had 500g quests for all the other colors, so I wanted to not complete them before being able to reroll them.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Singleton
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:07 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Banedon wrote:
It's definitely possible the approach is wrong but I just don't see why Blink of an Eye is worth running for example. It's just a 4-mana cycler. Commence the Endgame doesn't make sense either, you draw 2 cards and make what's likely to be a 4/4? vanilla creature, but you could equally be casting Finale of Revelation to draw even more cards (most of which would be stronger than a 4/4 vanilla). Angel of Grace is usually a big flash threat. I don't doubt it's playable, but I wanted to keep the curve lower.


Blink of an Eye is a flexible bounce spell, which is a major setback to the opponent, while having tons of uses - killing a token, fizzling an aura/pump spell, delaying a problematic opposing permanent, saving a permanent you own from removal. The biggest drawback to these spells and the reason you don't see them regularly is that they're either card disadvantage (Disperse), sorcery speed (Drag Under) or narrow (Galestrike). Blink of an Eye has none of these issues, which is what makes it such a good addition to control decks.

Commence the Endgame is as close to a Torrential Gearhulk as you'll get these days; that card was busted beyond belief and Commence is still really good. Meanwhile, Finale of Revelation is more like Pull from Tomorrow at sorcery speed; but sorcery speed kills it. If you can cast it for a bigger number than X=4 while leaving up a counterspell and not dying, you were probably winning anyway; if you can't it's a dead card.

These two and Search for Azcanta are the changes I feel the most strongly about.

By the way, I added Entrancing Melody over Azor; he was underwhelming. Melody has yet to be proven, but should be better.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group