It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raven's Rhymes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm 

Desperate Ravings

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm 

Horrible Hordes

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:38 pm 

Brood of Cockroaches

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:34 am 

Gypsy Ghazal

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Ghazals have an odd feel in my brain. I also have the impression they're meant to be sung?

Desperate Ravings struck me. I thought her finger-writs would cause something dramatic* so my expectations were swiftly subverted.

*the image of someone desperately scribbling on a wall with their own fingertips reminded me of a curse a despicable writer gets in Sandman.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 pm 

Ghazals have an odd feel in my brain. I also have the impression they're meant to be sung?

I hadn't ever written a ghazal before Friday afternoon. On Thursday, I attended a poetry reading, and a colleague of mine introduced me to the professional poet as a "formalist writer," which is weird. I am, obviously, primarily focused on formal poetry, but I'm not published, and have really never tried to get published, so it was odd to be thusly described to an actual, published poet. Regardless, said poet and I spoke for a few minutes, and that poet asked me if I had ever written a ghazal. I said that I hadn't, and asked them to remind me of the form. The next day, I wrote my first one, and then today, I thought I would try a second.

As for singing them, it is an ancient poetic poem, so I would not be at all surprised to learn that they were originally sung.

Desperate Ravings struck me. I thought her finger-writs would cause something dramatic* so my expectations were swiftly subverted.

*the image of someone desperately scribbling on a wall with their own fingertips reminded me of a curse a despicable writer gets in Sandman.

Thanks. "Desperate Ravings" is probably my favorite of the recent poems in this series, so I'm glad it struck somebody as interesting.

Thanks for reading.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

Spring

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:40 pm 

Lands

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 am 

You wander islands, walk the fields,
To claim whatever strength it yields,
And hold the world itself within your hand.

I have travelled across the land, searching faaaar and wiiide
the Pokémon to understand the power that's insiiiide!
:D

In all seriousness, though, I love it! It has this old school Magic feel to it that I'm a sucker for, and it really captures the spirit of the flavour text. Really cool representation of the card. I don't always have the time to check NGA regularly or respond to things, but rest assured your poetry is still appreciated!

Could you write something about kavu somewhere down the line? Either kavu in general or maybe Flametongue Kavu (or some other card that inspires you) in particular? Just a suggestion, no pressure...

Keep up the good work! ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:39 pm 

In all seriousness, though, I love it! It has this old school Magic feel to it that I'm a sucker for, and it really captures the spirit of the flavour text. Really cool representation of the card. I don't always have the time to check NGA regularly or respond to things, but rest assured your poetry is still appreciated!

I'm glad you like it! Most people don't seem to care for/about my poetry, so I'm glad to know that at least a couple people enjoy this stuff.

:)

Could you write something about kavu somewhere down the line? Either kavu in general or maybe Flametongue Kavu (or some other card that inspires you) in particular? Just a suggestion, no pressure...

Keep up the good work! ;)

When I saw this, my immediate thought was, "Yay, I love suggestions and requests!" My second thought was, "Hey, it might be neat to write a poem about every Kavu. That would be fun!" Then I went to Gatherer and search for every card with "Kavu" as its creature type. As it turns out, there are 42 of them...

...So here you go! 42 Limericks, one for each of those Kavu! Enjoy!

:D

Kavu Chronicles

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:52 pm 

Wait, when I said "somewhere down the line" I meant...

Hang on, did you write all this tod...

*checks date and time of the day again*

OMFG :dropjaw:

That's insane! Like, in a good way! I just read all 42 and checked Gatherer while reading, and it was the right mix of having my mind blown and chuckling in all the right places. I've been thinking about changing my avatar back to the Flametongue Kavu I had a while ago anyway, and that settled it.

Like, wow Raven. Here, take some one-man standing ovations! :clap: :hattip:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm 

Wait, when I said "somewhere down the line" I meant...

Hang on, did you write all this tod...

*checks date and time of the day again*

OMFG :dropjaw:

That's insane! Like, in a good way! I just read all 42 and checked Gatherer while reading, and it was the right mix of having my mind blown and chuckling in all the right places. I've been thinking about changing my avatar back to the Flametongue Kavu I had a while ago anyway, and that settled it.

Like, wow Raven. Here, take some one-man standing ovations! :clap: :hattip:

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. As it turns out, limericks are fairly simple to write (especially if you're alright fudging the traditional scansion here or there... :blush:) so these came out pretty quickly. My biggest concern with doing 42 of these things was being too repetitive, so hopefully enough of these are different enough to not become too droning. I'm not one hundred percent happy with every single one of these, but there are some of them that I really like.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 pm 

Circles

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 pm 

The Visions of Azeworai

Last edited by RavenoftheBlack on Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm 

Icebreaker’s Log

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 am 

Fleetfeather Sandals

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:25 am 

Wow, how do you find the time and energy to write those things?

Icebreaker's Log is pretty cool (pun intended). I like the frame narrative with the ship's log, and it gives me this Rime of the Ancient Mariner vibe, with just the faintest echo of Ozymandias when you describe the stone faces. *nods pretentiously and helps himself to another cup of Earl Grey* And I'm a sucker for snow-covered lands anyway, so what's not to like?

The one about the sandals has some really amazing rhymes. I kinda expected to be bored to death by a poem about sandals, but nope, it was a really fun read!

And that's all I have time and energy for right now (see above)...

*crawls back under his miserable rock*

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:50 pm 

Wow, how do you find the time and energy to write those things?

Fortunately, for the most part, they don't take all that long to write, usually only a couple of hours. "Icebreaker's Log" took me about two days, but that was more due to an unexpected social thing. And they're also just fun to write!

Icebreaker's Log is pretty cool (pun intended).

I like the frame narrative with the ship's log, and it gives me this Rime of the Ancient Mariner vibe, with just the faintest echo of Ozymandias when you describe the stone faces. *nods pretentiously and helps himself to another cup of Earl Grey* And I'm a sucker for snow-covered lands anyway, so what's not to like?

Those are two of my favorite poems. The Coleridge connection was a little more intentional, as I didn't really think about the Shelley poem while writing it. But the description of the stone faces is a bit reminiscent of the "sneer of cold command" from "Ozymandias."

As for the snow-covered lands, I've just always wondered if those stone faces on Snow-Covered Island had any significance, or if they were just included in the art to keep the island from being too plain. When it came up on Gatherer's Random Card, I thought it was a good time to explore the question a little.

The one about the sandals has some really amazing rhymes. I kinda expected to be bored to death by a poem about sandals, but nope, it was a really fun read!

I'm glad you liked it! I was really happy with some of the rhyming in this one. And now that I know the initial success of the sandals poem, I can start work on such eternal classics as Swiftfoot Boots, Lightning Greaves, and Trailblazer's Boots. Yes, my Footwear Folio is going to sell millions!

:paranoid:

And that's all I have time and energy for right now (see above)...

*crawls back under his miserable rock*

I would suggest upgrading your rock, perhaps by getting a nice fern?

Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, Pavor! It's always nice to hear from you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm 

Do or Die

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 pm 

The Game

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next