It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 3871
Location: somewhere btwn Achilles and the tortoise
Preferred Pronoun Set:
Yesterday we were graced with a preview of one of the coolest Magic cards I've seen get printed in years: Hydroid Krasis. This 24-hour contest is inspired by that card.

Create a creature with at least three subtypes. (If you use more than three, try to make sure they could all still reasonably fit on a type line.) You may use a custom creature type if you wish, but no more than one. You have until 8PM EST tomorrow.

_________________


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 2052
Restless Raider
Creature - Viashino Spirit Warrior
Haste
At the end of your turn, return Restless Raider from the battlefield or your graveyard to its owner's hand.
3/1
No matter where they go, Mirage's children never truly leave their nest.

_________________
Ambiguity, a role-playing contest
List of Chopped Champions

Previous seasons of Chopped:


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Apr 01, 2016
Posts: 849
Whitemask Sergeant
Creature - Masked Spirit Soldier
Lifelink
If a creature you control has two or more instances of lifelink, all creatures you control have lifelink. The same is true for first strike, flying, protection from black, protection from red, and vigilance.
2/2

The name and subtype flavor is a bit from Theros.

_________________
gd1's homebrew card repository thread


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2013
Posts: 7136
Luckdragon Warrior - :3::r::r:
Creature - Hound Dragon Warrior
Flying
When ~ dies, exile it. It gains "When you attack with one or more creatures, put this creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking."
3/3


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 05, 2014
Posts: 843
Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Nezumi Grandmaster
Creature - Rat Mutant Ninja
Skulk, Ninjutsu
Other Mutants you control have Skulk
Ninja cards in your hand have Ninjutsu
[2/1]


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:49 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Posts: 2306
i am a dumb idea

Living Legend
Enchantment Creature - Warrior Avatar Saga (M)
{I} - Target opponent chooses a creature he or she controls. You may have Living Legend fight that creature.
{II} - Living Legend gains your choice of vigilance, lifelink, or indestructible until end of turn.
{III} - Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain your choice of vigilance, lifelink, or indestructible until end of turn.
5/5

i would write flavor text but im not sure how well that would physically fit into the card template

_________________
Dwarven Vow #7


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 11782
Location: Kamloops, BC
Identity: Male
Was going to do a Simian SPirit Guide that was itself a spirit. But it looks like the original was one all along. I was thinking "spirit guide" meant shaman.

Canopy Cavalier :gw::gu:
Gorilla Spider Knight
Reach, vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card if was spent to cast it, gain 3 life if was spent to cast it, and put a +1/+1 counter on it for each spent to cast it.
0/0
Rejected by the Simic, redeemed by Selesnya.
I dunno, I just really like gorilla spider people. And weird mana costs. I like weird mana costs.

A thought

_________________
Cato wrote:
CotW is a method for ranking cards in increasing order of printability.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 pm 
Offline
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 8344
Bloodline Purist
Creature ─ Human Shaman Shapeshifter (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal a random card from your library. If its a Bloodline Purist, put it onto the battlefield. If it's a Dragon, sacrifice Bloodline Purist and put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, discard it.
2/3
They gathered together in covens if for nothing else than to increase their scent.

_________________
Sithas
Sithas:Rising Storms
Ephemeron

YingLung

TPmanW


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Apr 01, 2016
Posts: 849
...but I've never done a second submission before...
Dew it.

Bizarre Progenitor
Creature - Weird Illusion Reflection
, Exile all other Weirds you control: Create a token that's a copy of Bizzare Progenitor.
1/1

_________________
gd1's homebrew card repository thread


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 3084
Loyal Test Subject |
Creature - Cat Dog Frog | {C}
Loyal Test Subject has vigilance as long as you control another untapped creature.
"Who is a good experiment 32? The question is rhetorical. It is you."
[3/3]

_________________
Quote:
"If you refuse to use rock, you will never beat scissors." — Galef, Dakka Dakka Forums


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:25 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 7532
Aquanut Champion
Creature - Squirrel Lobster Mutant
When Aquanut Champion enters the battlefield, put a nut counter on each island you control.
Lands you control with nut counters on them have ", remove a nut counter from this land: Squirrels you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

_________________
magicpablo666 wrote:
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 2115
Catogish -
Creature - Cat Dog Fish
Islandwalk, Mountainwalk, Forestwalk
Virvyr wasn’t sure where the cat and fish portion of the equation went to but the only thing she was certain was that her creation enjoyed taking walks.
4/4


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:33 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 10, 2015
Posts: 3263
Location: California
Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I somehow thought the contest was to create another Jellyfish Hydra Beast. I have one, but I decided at the last minute to change Beast to Aetherborn

Aether Hydra
Creature-Aetherborn Jellyfish Hydra
Aether Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Aether Hydra enters the battlefield, return each creature with converted mana cost X or less to their owner's hands
0/0

_________________
Is it just me, or does Bruse Tarl look like an 1890s Barnum circus strongman who'd hawk strength tonic patent medicines on the side?


Last edited by purplebackpack89 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 28, 2016
Posts: 2786
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Aosan, Emperor of the Skies
Legendary Creature - Angel Sphinx Phoenix
Flying
You may cast this card from your graveyard.
You may cast creature cards with Flying from your graveyard.
One will find more freedom in his reign than in anarchy.
4/4

_________________
nice quotes from this forum

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:38 am 
Offline
YMtC Idol Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mar 14, 2015
Posts: 2093
Skittering Frogmaw
Creature — Spider Frog Thrull (R)
1/4
Reach, lifelink
Afterlife X, where X is Skittering Frogmaw's power.
: Adapt X.
Since their alliance with the Simic, no debtor and no fly has escaped the Orzhov chapels.

_________________
Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:24 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 3084
Three Amigos |
Legendary Creature - Human Kor Minotaur | {R}
: Blue creatures you control gain flying until end of turn.
: Red creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.
: White creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.
[3/3]

_________________
Quote:
"If you refuse to use rock, you will never beat scissors." — Galef, Dakka Dakka Forums


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 3871
Location: somewhere btwn Achilles and the tortoise
Preferred Pronoun Set:
YingLung wrote:
Restless Raider
Creature - Viashino Spirit Warrior
Haste
At the end of your turn, return Restless Raider from the battlefield or your graveyard to its owner's hand.
3/1
No matter where they go, Mirage's children never truly leave their nest.

What have you done to Viashino Sandscout, you monster?!

Made it cool af, tbh. I like it

gd1w wrote:
Whitemask Sergeant
Creature - Masked Spirit Soldier
Lifelink
If a creature you control has two or more instances of lifelink, all creatures you control have lifelink. The same is true for first strike, flying, protection from black, protection from red, and vigilance.
2/2

The name and subtype flavor is a bit from Theros.

Meh, never a fan of "two or more instances" designs. They seem too YMtC, you know? I liked what you did with these guys in the Pro Tour, though.

Flopfoot wrote:
Luckdragon Warrior - :3::r::r:
Creature - Hound Dragon Warrior
Flying
When ~ dies, exile it. It gains "When you attack with one or more creatures, put this creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking."
3/3

That's cool! Don't really get the Hound thing, but word, cool.

Nezumi Grandmaster
Creature - Rat Mutant Ninja
Skulk, Ninjutsu
Other Mutants you control have Skulk
Ninja cards in your hand have Ninjutsu
[2/1]

This is their sensei from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, right?
Kinda ok i guess. mostly just the reference tho. skulk is kinda lame

Silly wrote:
i am a dumb idea

Living Legend
Enchantment Creature - Warrior Avatar Saga (M)
{I} - Target opponent chooses a creature he or she controls. You may have Living Legend fight that creature.
{II} - Living Legend gains your choice of vigilance, lifelink, or indestructible until end of turn.
{III} - Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain your choice of vigilance, lifelink, or indestructible until end of turn.
5/5

i would write flavor text but im not sure how well that would physically fit into the card template

This is awesome. You're cool. Totally works.

TPmanW wrote:
Was going to do a Simian SPirit Guide that was itself a spirit. But it looks like the original was one all along. I was thinking "spirit guide" meant shaman.

Canopy Cavalier :gw::gu:
Gorilla Spider Knight
Reach, vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card if was spent to cast it, gain 3 life if was spent to cast it, and put a +1/+1 counter on it for each spent to cast it.
0/0
Rejected by the Simic, redeemed by Selesnya.
I dunno, I just really like gorilla spider people. And weird mana costs. I like weird mana costs.

A thought

See that mana cost isn't just weird though, it's ugly. If you're gonna do something like that make it so at least it fits in the shard. And wtf is a gorilla spider
Kinda wish it started at 0/1, and that the gave it flash instead of 3 life.

Dudibus wrote:
Bloodline Purist
Creature ─ Human Shaman Shapeshifter (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal a random card from your library. If its a Bloodline Purist, put it onto the battlefield. If it's a Dragon, sacrifice Bloodline Purist and put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, discard it.
2/3
They gathered together in covens if for nothing else than to increase their scent.

That's cool. I'd rather it be, like, a Viashino or an Orc than just a Human, but w/e. Cool effect

gd1w wrote:
...but I've never done a second submission before...
Dew it.

Bizarre Progenitor
Creature - Weird Illusion Reflection
, Exile all other Weirds you control: Create a token that's a copy of Bizzare Progenitor.
1/1

Idk, paying for a Dragon Fodder that can conditionally replace itself is kind of underwhelming. I'd like it better if this were bigger, even if it had to cost a bit more. At least 2/3.

Yarium wrote:
Loyal Test Subject |
Creature - Cat Dog Frog | {C}
Loyal Test Subject has vigilance as long as you control another untapped creature.
"Who is a good experiment 32? The question is rhetorical. It is you."
[3/3]

Flavor text is adorable. Very Simic. Kind of love it. The way the effect bends the color pie without breaking it is really cool too. Should probably be a little smaller, but the days when Watchwolf saw play are long gone, I suppose.

AzureShade wrote:
Aquanut Champion
Creature - Squirrel Lobster Mutant
When Aquanut Champion enters the battlefield, put a nut counter on each island you control.
Lands you control with nut counters on them have ", remove a nut counter from this land: Squirrels you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Heehee. You said "nut".
Kinda don't... I mean, it's cool, I guess. But this is just a swimming squirrel. I don't understand why this is a lobster. You could have made it a Fish or a Frog and that might have been ok. But this way it just kind of feels like you took the two most unrelated creature types you could think of, squashed them together, tacked on "Mutant" and called it a day. I'd like to think that the whacky Simic creature type combinations Wizards have been spewing out lately have at least a little bit of methodicalness to their madness. This just feels like you were doing it for the memes.

Confused wrote:
Catogish -
Creature - Cat Dog Fish
Islandwalk, Mountainwalk, Forestwalk
Virvyr wasn’t sure where the cat and fish portion of the equation went to but the only thing she was certain was that her creation enjoyed taking walks.
4/4

Very cute, as well. I wonder how much of Standard this would be unblockable against.

Aether Hydra
Creature-Aetherborn Jellyfish Hydra
Aether Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Aether Hydra enters the battlefield, return each creature with converted mana cost X or less to their owner's hands
0/0

Aetherborn are specifically humanoids from Kaladesh, though. Kind of like Ethereals from WoW? It doesn't just mean "magical"

Also, Evacuation effects have never been very fun

Aosan, Emperor of the Skies
Legendary Creature - Angel Sphinx Phoenix
Flying
You may cast this card from your graveyard.
You may cast creature cards with Flying from your graveyard.
One will find more freedom in his reign than in anarchy.
4/4

Pretty cool. I don't know what to say really. I mean you could make this a Skeleton Sphynx Horror, cost it at and give it haste, and I'd be none the wiser in regard to the flavor fitting the effect, but it's a cool idea. I just don't see any Angel or Sphinx besides that both of those dudes fly. Art could be cool though. Six wings, one pair of each kind.

Skittering Frogmaw
Creature — Spider Frog Thrull (R)
1/4
Reach, lifelink
Afterlife X, where X is Skittering Frogmaw's power.
: Adapt X.
Since their alliance with the Simic, no debtor and no fly has escaped the Orzhov chapels.

Seems kind of like a mess, idk. I like where your heart is, though.

Yarium wrote:
Three Amigos |
Legendary Creature - Human Kor Minotaur | {R}
: Blue creatures you control gain flying until end of turn.
: Red creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.
: White creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.
[3/3]

Nice approach. I don't like how the red one is stackable and the rest aren't, though. Also why is the human giving them flying?

_________________


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 3871
Location: somewhere btwn Achilles and the tortoise
Preferred Pronoun Set:
Silly
Yarium A
YingLung
Confused
Flopfoot
Dudibus
ELC
gd1w B
pbp89
UselessCommon
Yarium B
Q
gd1w A
AzureShade
TPmanW

Congrats Silly :king:!

(and sorry TP, you know I love you, i just try to be as objective as possible with these)

Sorry the comments were so brief. Wish I'd had more to say.

_________________


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Posts: 2306
<3

_________________
Dwarven Vow #7


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 11782
Location: Kamloops, BC
Identity: Male
You were right about flash being a better choice than lifegain. I don't agree with you on the shard colors though. Wedges are just as good.

_________________
Cato wrote:
CotW is a method for ranking cards in increasing order of printability.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group