It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 17, 2013
Posts: 798
Holiday Pauper as you probably know, just offer alternative art on Firemind's Research and Llanowar elves

I didn't spend wildcards on Fireminds, so I at least get a nice rare for every 5-x runs.

How do you feel? Worth it?

_________________
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

The NSA is the only branch of government that actually listens to people.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
I'd have loved for a better Rare to be at the top; if that were the case I might have tried the 5-x run more often.

As it sits, I made 5-x on my first run to get one copy and just resigned after win 1 4 consecutive times to get the Llanowars (they do look sweet and I'm playing them in Golgari MR). Could've used four Common WCs to get them, but who knows when I need them to craft Secrets of the Golden City or other stuff.
Fun fact: I would've crafted them for Uncommon WCs; sitting on almost 40 of those with no idea what to do with them.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: May 03, 2016
Posts: 127
Modulo wrote:
Could've used four Common WCs to get them.

You can't, that's the point


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Well, in that case I'm very happpy I did what I did.

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2013
Posts: 1648
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Yeah, the full art Llanowar are really nice. I ran 1 5-x to get the 4th Firemind which I'll probably never use. And then did 4x 1-x runs to get the beautiful LE :-)


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 17, 2013
Posts: 798
I've run it 6 times now, got 3 of each. Guess I'll go for the last two, just for completeness sake.

[edit]

There we go, all done.

Here's the list I ran, I went 5-0, 5-1, 4-2, 1-2, 5-1, 4-2, 0-2(not proud, but lands just kept coming), 5-1, 1-2(just needed the last elf, and I hit concede instead of resigning, might aswell give away a few wins):

11 x Plains
4 x Bishop's Soldier
4 x Martyr of Dusk
4 x Queen's Commission
4 x Vampire Neonate
9 x Swamp
4 x Child of Night
4 x Skymarch Bloodletter
4 x Epicure of Blood
2 x Luminous Bonds
2 x Pious Interdiction
4 x Forsaken Sanctuary
4 x Healer's Hawk


Importable:

Spoiler

_________________
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

The NSA is the only branch of government that actually listens to people.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2013
Posts: 4376
Location: 1,824.5 meters underground.
Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Only had time to get four Elves. Is it still running today? Have to head off to work and no time to fire up the game and look.

_________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Still running today. Still won't get any more copies of Research.

For those looking for a deck, here's mine (GW Veggiepants):

4 x Healer's Hawk
2 x Hunted Witness

4 x Greenwood Sentinel
4 x Vernadi Shieldmate
4 x Talons of Wildwood
2 x Titanic Growth
2 x Adamant Will

4 x Jungleborn Pioneer
4 x Luminous Bonds
4 x Oakenform

4 x Sumala Woodshaper

10 x Plains
8 x Forest
4 x Selesnya Guildgate


Could go down to three Talons to fit another Witness

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 07, 2015
Posts: 573
Location: Austria
Thank you Modulo i finally got a 5-0 with a similar deck like yours.

4 x Healer's Hawk

4 x Daybreak Chaplain
4 x Vernadi Shieldmate
4 x Talons of Wildwood
2 x Adamant Will

2 x Dub
4 x Luminous Bonds
4 x Oakenform
2 x Crushing Canopy

4 x Sumala Woodshaper

12 x Plains
6 x Forest
4 x Selesnya Guildgate


Couldn't get to five wins with rdw, wheenies, vampires and sac&steal decks.


Last edited by DaRkStAr on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2016
Posts: 1394
How does this work? Why resign at 4-x anyway? It sounds like there's predetermined rewards for a certain number of wins?


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: May 03, 2016
Posts: 127
Banedon wrote:
How does this work? Why resign at 4-x anyway? It sounds like there's predetermined rewards for a certain number of wins?

1-4 wins - elf
5 wins - research
Resign 4 times after 1 win to get 4 elfes fastest way possible.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:13 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2016
Posts: 1394
Mwuanno wrote:
I've run it 6 times now, got 3 of each. Guess I'll go for the last two, just for completeness sake.

[edit]

There we go, all done.

Here's the list I ran, I went 5-0, 5-1, 4-2, 1-2, 5-1, 4-2, 0-2(not proud, but lands just kept coming), 5-1, 1-2(just needed the last elf, and I hit concede instead of resigning, might aswell give away a few wins):

11 x Plains
4 x Bishop's Soldier
4 x Martyr of Dusk
4 x Queen's Commission
4 x Vampire Neonate
9 x Swamp
4 x Child of Night
4 x Skymarch Bloodletter
4 x Epicure of Blood
2 x Luminous Bonds
2 x Pious Interdiction
4 x Forsaken Sanctuary
4 x Healer's Hawk


Importable:

Spoiler


I took your deck for a spin and went 3-2 on the first try. Thoughts:

1) Mesa Unicorn > Child of Night (especially since I had Cosmotronic Wave played against me twice)
2) 2 Luminous Bonds and 2 Pious Interdiction feels off. I'd go up to 4 Luminous Bonds. If one must keep the Pious Interdiction because quality removal is hard to come by, so be it, but not playing 4 Bonds feels wrong.
3) Queen's Commission is likely too weak as well. Without a lord to boost it, it's just good for Epicure's effect which is not reliable enough.

I'd -4 Queen's Commission -4 Child of Night +4 Mesa Unicorn +2 Marauder's Axe (helps you attack) +2 Luminous Bonds, reworking mana base accordingly. Possibly the Axe should be Jousting Lance as well.

On a more general note, it feels like good removal is hard to find in this format, making auras much better than usual. Parhelion Patrol with Knight's Pledge should be a good combo.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:54 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19, 2015
Posts: 1796
Good removal is indeed not that easy to find; Blue has Blink of an Eye, Black has Eviscerate, Vicious Offering and your 5-mana killspell of choice.
Darkstar's idea of running Crushing Canopy has a lot of merit (at least as a 1-of).

_________________
My decks can be found in my deckbuilder archive. Enter here!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2013
Posts: 4376
Location: 1,824.5 meters underground.
Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Cannot get to the five for nothing with either my Sely or Red deck. I have like 10 elves toward the vault now I guess. I'm at 97%

_________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 10, 2013
Posts: 3347
Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: He
It would've been great if you got both at 5 wins instead of changing the elf into fireminds, that way you still get the elves if you go all the way.

_________________
Cards have names?
Dunno about the cards but my twitch and youtube sure do: https://www.twitch.tv/wrightjustice and https://www.youtube.com/user/Wasomacosalo


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 28, 2015
Posts: 4969
Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Dimir has gotten me two 5-win runs out of about 5 attempts, which is a solid enough ratio.

Don't have the full list in front of me, but Darkblade Agent is the engine that makes the deck run. Add Notion Rain, Fungal Infection, Moment of Craving, Whisper Agent, Artful Takedown, Watcher in the Mist...

Surveil selection and card advantage usually lets you prolong games until your opponent runs out of steam and you can take over via pinging or with Watchers through the air. I run 26 lands with 4x Evolving Wilds to thin me and the manabase is fairly consistent.

_________________
KLD Season King of the Hill Winner.
EMN Season King of the Hill Winner.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 29, 2016
Posts: 2898
Location: Portugal
Finally got around to trying the event and since I had 0 firemind's research, it was actually a nice reward.
I just played my azorius aggro deck from previous pauper events and went 5-1, 5-1.
Don't really care for elves, so I'll leave it at that.

_________________
Give me land, Give me fire, Give me that which I desire! :mage:
My Duels Youtube Channel


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:15 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 17, 2013
Posts: 798
Banedon wrote:
Mwuanno wrote:
I've run it 6 times now, got 3 of each. Guess I'll go for the last two, just for completeness sake.

[edit]

There we go, all done.

Here's the list I ran, I went 5-0, 5-1, 4-2, 1-2, 5-1, 4-2, 0-2(not proud, but lands just kept coming), 5-1, 1-2(just needed the last elf, and I hit concede instead of resigning, might aswell give away a few wins):

11 x Plains
4 x Bishop's Soldier
4 x Martyr of Dusk
4 x Queen's Commission
4 x Vampire Neonate
9 x Swamp
4 x Child of Night
4 x Skymarch Bloodletter
4 x Epicure of Blood
2 x Luminous Bonds
2 x Pious Interdiction
4 x Forsaken Sanctuary
4 x Healer's Hawk


Importable:

Spoiler


I took your deck for a spin and went 3-2 on the first try. Thoughts:

1) Mesa Unicorn > Child of Night (especially since I had Cosmotronic Wave played against me twice)
2) 2 Luminous Bonds and 2 Pious Interdiction feels off. I'd go up to 4 Luminous Bonds. If one must keep the Pious Interdiction because quality removal is hard to come by, so be it, but not playing 4 Bonds feels wrong.
3) Queen's Commission is likely too weak as well. Without a lord to boost it, it's just good for Epicure's effect which is not reliable enough.

I'd -4 Queen's Commission -4 Child of Night +4 Mesa Unicorn +2 Marauder's Axe (helps you attack) +2 Luminous Bonds, reworking mana base accordingly. Possibly the Axe should be Jousting Lance as well.

On a more general note, it feels like good removal is hard to find in this format, making auras much better than usual. Parhelion Patrol with Knight's Pledge should be a good combo.


I completely forgot that Mesa Unicorn existed - you are correct, that would be a definite upgrade over the vamp. Between Pious Interdiction and Luminous, that was just what I had I think. They are just there to clear the real big baddies. Everything else, the life gain took care of.

I'd say at least 20 of the wins were on the back of Epicure - after trading blows and outlasting with life-gain, drop epicure and attack with everything. Getting an additional 5-10 lifeloss in the face caught almost everyone by surprise. I even saw really bad blocks, when there were 2 or more Epicures in play. Math becomes hard, when 4-5 lifegainers attack with 3 epicures down.

I got all the cards in 10-11 games. I can't complain. Back to ranked :)

_________________
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

The NSA is the only branch of government that actually listens to people.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NightHawk233 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group