It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Burning Tree Berserker
Creature - Giant Warrior
Haste, Trample
Chromatic - This creature gets +1/+0 for each color among other permanents you control.
4/4

Rationale Abridged: By making Sunburst into the artifact-independent and counter-independent Chromatic ability word, it is able to be placed outside of Mirrodin and even Kaladesh and placed into other planes such as Ravnica here (though thematically the name could relate to the sun, every plane could use this, in particular Ravnica, Alara, and Tarkir, so I opted for something more generic).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:38 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Mown wrote:
Q's not a judge (that I'm aware of)

No, he's 564453

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:55 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Flopfoot wrote:
Why are there five judges?

What Mown said. I'm not a primary judge this year, but if the other four can't make the deadline for some reason, I'll be a backup judge.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:31 pm 

Round 1

In Mark Rosewater's most recent Storm Scale column, he evaluated the mechanics of Mirrodin and Scars of Mirrodin blocks. Among these mechanics, he discussed the shortcomings of the Sunburst ability, which cares about the number of colors of mana used to pay for the spell. This mechanic proved to be unpopular and rigid, with very little design space.

Must ... resist .... submitting ... a ... bring to light functional reprint.

So, we are coming from 2 sets of artifact matters mechanics, and players will be drafting these before a single pack of fifth dawn.

White sun replica :1:
Artifact -----------------(Land-plains) (U)
:1: Until end of turn cardname becomes a land-plains in addition to its other types.(it can tap for :w:)
:6:,sacrifice cardname: search your library for a plains card and put it into the battlefield,shuffle your library ,then create a white 3\2 cat creature token, this ability has affinity for different basic land types.

So yeah, permanents whose activated abilities have affinity for land types artifacts that can become lands for a turn(without ramping), then maybe also add a real mechanic like converge as a payoff

Last edited by Hello World on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm 

Let's see if we can overcome the shortcomings of sunburst by keeping sunburst exactly as it is for this challenge. :V

Excavating Engine
Artifact Creature - Construct [r]
Sunburst, Proliferate
When ~ enters the battlefield destroy target land you control. When ~ leaves the battlefield you may search your library for a non-Mountain land card and put it into play tapped, then shuffle your library.
1/1

Last edited by RTKfan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '15

I think a better approach to the Sunburst mechanic already exists in Fifth Dawn, but they only used it for one card.

Kaleidoscopic Images

Sorcery (R)
Align — For each color, choose up to one target creature of that color and create a token that's a copy of it.
Strange are the shadows cast by five suns.

I don't believe ability words were a thing in Mirrodin block. But we're already going back in time for this exercise, so bear with me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:22 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Manafying Glass
Artifact
, : Add one mana of any color.
Glitter - Whenever a source you control produces mana that can be of any color, ~ deals 1 damage to any target.
There are more efficient ways to harvest blinkmoths, but none so satisfying.

Motivations:
- 5 colours is already its own reward: you have access to all the strengths of all colours and multicoloured spells.
- So instead of focussing on a player's achievement of 5-colours, I focussed on the way you get there: mana fixing.
- This fits nicely into an artifact block: First,artifacts are great colour fixers because they're colourless.
- Second, some of the most iconic artifacts (cf Lotuses) in Magic's history have fixed mana.
- The wording of the ability is hard. If was lazy I'd just have used , but I'm not sure how interacts with e.g. cards that produce two mana of any one color.

Last edited by arathinius on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Supernova (When this creature dies, you may pay . If you do, return it to the battlefield face-down as a 5/5 creature that's all colors.)

Dawnbreak Angel
Creature — Angel (M)
Flying
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 for each color they are.
Dawnbreak Angel and other face-up creatures you control have supernova.
To most cultures, the rainbow is seen as a symbol of beauty and good luck. To the vampires of the Mephidross, it is a sign of impending doom.
4/4

Notes:
• If supernova seems overcomplicated, picture it on a 1/1 common for .
• See Tezzeret, Cruel Machinist for an example of face-down creatures being something other than 2/2s.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 pm 

Leonin Sunwielder
Creature — Cat Warrior (C)
Spectrum — Leonin Sunwielder gets +1/+1 as long as you've cast a nonwhite spell this turn.
Their blades reflect the suns' light, and their skill reflects the suns' power.
2/2

Spectrum is active more consistently the less monocolor your deck is. It also synergizes with artifacts.

Last edited by Shaz on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:42 pm 

I think everyone should lose points for using terminology that wasn't around at the time of the set :rofl:

for those that don't know what I'm talking about

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:04 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Regarding Yarium's post: Please note that using archaic terminology is definitely not a requirement for this round. I can't speak for the judges, but it may not even be recommended.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Yarium wrote:
The use of "the battlefield" was almost universally applauded.

lol

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:47 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Yeh you can like the disambiguation of 'play' without liking the choice of 'battlefield'

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

I honestly have little problem with sunburst as a concept. If anything, the main flaw with the mechanic was restricting itself to needing counters, which was basically fixed when it returned as converge (6 on the storm scale) in BFZ, a mechanic which would probably have been better received had it appeared in a set with a proper focus on it.

For example, in an environment in which most of your cards will be artifacts and there aren’t any multicolor cards, you shouldn’t expect to play off actual colors of permanents. This leaves us with having to use multiple colored mana somehow.

Again I think sunburst/converge are the perfect answer for this kind of dilemma. Simply make the effect play off the amount of different colors spent to play it and you’re done. As said before, sunburst’s real problem is that it limited itself to using counters, and if converge didn’t exist I would probably just make it and call it a day.

But converge does exist, so let us find another solution.

I gave myself the following restrictions:

The mechanic needs to use design technology existing during Fifth Dawn (so no ability words, keyword actions etc);
The mechanic needs to make sense in a world full of artifacts (so nothing that plays off the number of colors among your permanents);
The mechanic can’t do anything other keyword abilities in the block do (so no cost reduction, for example);
The mechanic should reach its maximum potential with five colors but shouldn’t need five colors to do anything.

So I give you infuse:

Sunforged Myr (C)

Artifact Creature – Myr
2/2
Infuse (You may pay up to as an additional cost to cast this spell.)
Sunforged Myr enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color spent to infuse it.
Mirrodin's skies changed. Its surface soon followed.

In short, when you cast Sunforged Myr, you can cast it for , , , , and so on. For each additional mana you pay for it, the spell is infused once and you get one instance of the bonus effect.

Infuse is thus a blend of kicker, multikicker and converge. You can pay more to make the spell more powerful, you can do so multiple times, but each effect needs to be paid with a different color.

Flexible enough to go on plenty of other card types as well:

Lumengrid Aurora (U)

Instant
Draw a card, then draw an additional card for each color spent to infuse Lumengrid Aurora.

Clearwater Goblet (R)

Artifact
Clearwater Goblet enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color spent to infuse it.
: You gain 2 life, plus an additional 1 life for each charge counter on Clearwater Goblet.

My submission is Sunforged Myr.

Last edited by Riorvard on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 am 

So we have to do something that takes the place of Sunburst in Fith Dawn using the same design space?

Work area

My Submission:
It seems to me that everybody's looking at this from the demand side of the equation- how can I make playing multicolor pay off? Well, since all the good ideas are already taken But being the genius that I am, I decided to flip the equation. We're on the opposite side of the equal sign now boys. I'm providing the supply. People can have their cool multicolor cards and splash an extra color, not because I've got a new thing to splash, but because I'm making it possible. And the best way to give people the colors they need in an artifact set? Why the best artifact creatures of all time of course- the Myr.
Magic's best mana dorks are going tribal.

Reflective Myr
Artifact Creature -Myr (U)
Myr you control have ": Add one mana of any color a Myr you control could produce".
1/2

This would be followed up with traditional lords, a colorless Myr (we got one later, but never in Mirrodin I) and some colored cost activated abilities. Fill the set out with a few good multicolor cards, make entwine costs go off color if you can and a few tempting splashables, and voila. 5th Dawn mk II.
Tl;DR Myr are the best, and now they fix your mana in addition to producing it.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Last edited by TPmanW on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Aloha

Ur-Golem's Astrolabe
Artifact
You may cast multicolored cards from your library while you are scrying them.
, : Scry 1.
A clue to where the ur-golems fled: out, through the narrow dark between Mirrodin's bright stars.

Quick Thoughts

saints and symbols

Last edited by Johnny Valdez on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

Astronomer's Bauble
      Artifact
      ,, Sacrifice ~: Until end of turn, you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color paid this way. Draw a card.
      It is the aurorae draped above, the expanse between suns, the unknown worlds behind their blinding light.

More artifact enablers keeping with the theme of cogs, batteries, and weird artifact one offs.

Last edited by Shadesmoke on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 pm 

Do we have to make mechanic, or will a single card showcasing possible design space work?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

TPmanW wrote:
Do we have to make mechanic, or will a single card showcasing possible design space work?

Your objective is to design a card that highlights the direction you would take. That does not necessarily mean you need to design a mechanic.

I tend to word my criteria openly to leave room for personal interpretation. My philosophy is to point you in a general direction, rather than pigeonhole you with specific requirements. If you're not sure your idea fits the criteria, chances are it probably does.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm 

And I'm guessing that it has to be an original creation as well? I think I have an old design that would work quite well here.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next