It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 am 

So Azra are tieflings?

Overall, really like the worldbuilding, especially the elven patrons, though it does feel a bit small.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:31 am 

So Azra are tieflings?
Yes, except more purple and with gold-dipped horns (which is totally an aesthetic I'm stealing for a future tiefling character).

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm 

Wait, so not only did they clip the Dominaria story to make room for the "storyline" of a freaking core set, they also have a break without any story in between those? Like, wtf, why not give us more Dominaria episodes to fill that gap? More space would have solved so many problems... >:(

Kylem sucks and I hate everything about it. Ugly punks hitting each other with glowing LARP weapons is all it has to offer, and those so-called arena battles aren't Magic: The Gathering, they're Pokémon. Heck, I'd take a set about Cridhe over this disgrace of a "worldbuilding" any day of the week, and that's saying something. I also feel like the Azra might step on the toes of the half-demons that were mentioned in the original Ravnica trilogy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm 

I also feel like the Azra might step on the toes of the half-demons that were mentioned in the original Ravnica trilogy.

You mean things that were never EVER going to show up in the first place?
Don't be pedantic. It's fine you don't like something, but you have to at least be reasonable about your criticism.

I for one think the Azra fill a role that Magic has lacked since they don't have Tiefling.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:03 pm 

Only bad thing about the Battlebond plane is that it has trash art.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 am 

Quote:
planeswalkerwithtardis asked:
Please high five Alison Luhrs for her Battlebond worldbuilding article. Is there plans for another article going over the legends in the set? A huge portion of the Vorthos community is waiting for how Regna and Krav found each other.

markrosewater said:
I will high five Allison.

I don’t believe there’s any more creative content planned for Battlebond.

I do kind of find it sad that they developed such an interesting take on Magic sports-ball world and filled it with such fun characters and then elected not to actually show off the story content behind either the world or the characters beyond a brief tour that doesn't really cover anything in-depth enough to be satisfying.

EDIT: Like, if you're going to truncate the Dominaria storyline, at least give us more than a brief look at the new world you are trying to push. Give us a story or two about the twin planeswalkers or some of the other legends or something.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I also feel like the Azra might step on the toes of the half-demons that were mentioned in the original Ravnica trilogy.

You mean things that were never EVER going to show up in the first place?
Don't be pedantic. It's fine you don't like something, but you have to at least be reasonable about your criticism.

I for one think the Azra fill a role that Magic has lacked since they don't have Tiefling.
For what it's worth, I see the "Kylem sucks" and "Azra are weird" parts as two different and almost unrelated complaints. I find Kylem irredeemably repulsive with or without the Azra. In fact, they're probably the most salvageable element of that plane.

It doesn't matter if half-demons were going to show up on the cards, it's more about things getting muddled up from a lore standpoint. What does being a half-demon mean if there are also Azra and vice versa? They clearly aren't the same, but they're both part demon in some vague shape or form. At the very least they should have used the opportunity to clear up their cosmology a bit and explain how half-demons are created, how Azra are different, where the heck Malfegor fits in there, what exactly is 'Elder' about Belzenlok and so on and so forth. Maybe the Azra are endemic to Kylem and have a specific origin that's tied to a specific event, because otherwise you'd expect to see them on other planes that have demons. At the end of the day, keeping their own Magic mythos together would have been more imporant to me than ripping off races from D&D because they can't come up with cool things of their own anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I haven't read the story article yet, but the whole "magic as E-Sports" feel of the set just seems fun to me.

"ripping off races from D&D" like elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs, etc.? Or are you upset about the rather unique homonculi and the ogre? I am disappointed with a bunch of the story stuff just like you are, but come on.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am 

Today's story made me sad for magic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am 

And Ugin's an elder, just as I hoped.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): CHRONICLE OF BOLAS: THE TWINS

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
So... the Elder Dragons are younger than the human race... And all were from Tarkir despite not all of them are planeswalkers. Why does everything have to have humans?

Last edited by Monobluegruul on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 am 

So... the Elder Dragons are younger than the human race... And all were from Tarkir despite not all of them are planeswalkers.

I thought the story said they weren't from Tarkir?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
So... the Elder Dragons are younger than the human race... And all were from Tarkir despite not all of them are planeswalkers.

They're "born" on Tarkir, but they have to get back to Dominaria for the storyline to make sense. That means a planeswalker or something has to get them there since the ones who did aren't all planeswalkers. If they can do it by themselves than Bolas doesn't need to be a planeswalker. I doubt he'd do it out of good will.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm 

Quote:
From one beat of the great shadow's wings, there fall seven such egg-stones onto a world that is not Tarkir, although there is no name for it in the language of the windfolk.

They are NOT born on Tarkir, you seem to have missed a very important line.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:33 pm 

There is the line "From one beat of the great shadow's wings, there fall seven such egg-stones onto a world that is not Tarkir". The "Great Shadow" is presumably the Ur-Dragon and a being of the Blind Eternities, but might be taken to be the Blind Eternities itself ("The shadow is a magnificent creature, terrifying and dark and powerful, and it is blind, or maybe it was born in a place of blindness and does not know how to see."). It's pretty clear that the Elders we know are still born on Doiminaria, but Ugin is able to send Yasova a vision of that time. This fits with both the origin of the Elders on Dominaria, and the myth of the Ur-Dragon being the progenitor of all dragon-kind across ALL planes.

As for humans being older than the Elder Dragons, that does kind of bug me, but then I remember that Equilor was a thing, its residents closer to human than anything else, and its age a time abyss that could easily be older than the Elder Dragons. So while Dominarian humans didn't need to predate the Elder Dragons, humanoid life in Dominia as a whole probably did, so why not?

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:50 pm 

So Nicol Bolas, the main villain of the story now, one of the longest-lived characters in Magic's canon, a terrifying monster that strikes fear into all who dare oppose him, his first word was "Ouch."

Fan-****ing-tastic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I liked this story! It's a little weird that elder dragons didn't predate the human race, but overall I felt like this was well-written and fun to read.

Bolas and Ugin being twins is a fun detail that seems to fit in pretty well. In my head, they were identical at birth, but somewhere in the process of becoming a "spirit dragon", Ugin's appearance changed. Or they just chose different forms upon becoming planeswalkers. I do hope we learn more in this story arc about how Ugin went from being a baby elder dragon to being a ghostly-looking planeswalker.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 pm 

There is the line "From one beat of the great shadow's wings, there fall seven such egg-stones onto a world that is not Tarkir". The "Great Shadow" is presumably the Ur-Dragon and a being of the Blind Eternities, but might be taken to be the Blind Eternities itself ("The shadow is a magnificent creature, terrifying and dark and powerful, and it is blind, or maybe it was born in a place of blindness and does not know how to see."). It's pretty clear that the Elders we know are still born on Doiminaria, but Ugin is able to send Yasova a vision of that time. This fits with both the origin of the Elders on Dominaria, and the myth of the Ur-Dragon being the progenitor of all dragon-kind across ALL planes.

As for humans being older than the Elder Dragons, that does kind of bug me, but then I remember that Equilor was a thing, its residents closer to human than anything else, and its age a time abyss that could easily be older than the Elder Dragons. So while Dominarian humans didn't need to predate the Elder Dragons, humanoid life in Dominia as a whole probably did, so why not?

Ye gods, I hate the idea of the Ur-dragon being an actual physical being.
It leeches some of the mysticism out of the world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:26 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She

They're "born" on Tarkir, but they have to get back to Dominaria for the storyline to make sense. That means a planeswalker or something has to get them there since the ones who did aren't all planeswalkers. If they can do it by themselves than Bolas doesn't need to be a planeswalker. I doubt he'd do it out of good will.

So as they pointed out already, you missed the "not" but I'd like to point out even if the not wasnt there, one of the defining features of elder dragons was that they could punch holes into planes and essentially planeswalk. They were that powerful.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 286  Next