It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 am 

I'm really blown away by Masters 25 right now, and I think with all the new art and flavour text we're getting, this set might deserve its own thread.

I've never cared about the Masters sets, but this is everything that I've always wanted them to be. Thank you! :cloud9:

I'm also super busy right now, but for starters, have a look at the new flavour text on Will-o'-the-Wisp... Yeah, there's an in-universe text called The Fall of the House of Vess, and apparently Liliana and her brother have become folk figures of sorts. How cool is that?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:56 pm 

So, I'm back, and here are my personal new art highlights:

-Disenchant blowing up a Mox Sapphire! :ookay:
-Renewed Faith
-Savannah Lions, obviously. Like, wow. Also, cool new flavour text.
-Have you noticed the new art for Exclude has the original Phyrexian Rager in it? And a new Teferi flavour text?
-Dirge of Dread. Now with skeleton choir.
-The new art on Doomsday is awesome and arguably a callback to the original one.
-If you look closely at the new art on Undead Gladiator, you can see he's clearly standing in a Cabal fighting pit, but the characteristic stone carvings in the background look pretty crumbled. Might be a glimpse of present day Dominaria? Hilarious new flavour text is hilarious.
-Coalition Relic. So good.
-Ensnaring Bridge is the exact same scene as in the original art, just from a different angle and in a more realistic art style. Awesome!

Someone on MTG Sally pointed out that the new art for Ihsan's Shade, Renewed Faith and the aven and the knight on the Dominaria booster packs all have the same white and gold symbol on them, which is probably Serra-related.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:21 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
The only thing that excites me about this set at this point is the new artwork and flavor text.

Sadly, that doesn't come close to balancing my disappointment for rarity choices on a bunch of stuff, so I won't buy any of this set except a few singles for my cube if I can get decent prices. But that doesn't seem likely.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Maraxas points out that this does a few things for pauper

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:55 am 

Jman22 wrote:
The only thing that excites me about this set at this point is the new artwork and flavor text.

Sadly, that doesn't come close to balancing my disappointment for rarity choices on a bunch of stuff, so I won't buy any of this set except a few singles for my cube if I can get decent prices. But that doesn't seem likely.

This is actually probably the Masters set I want the MOST out of. I've hated that weird older cards like ghost ship (to pick a name out of a hat) haven't had an appearance in supplemental products, so to see all these interesting older choices, I'm all over it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:14 am 

Identity: Male
That Dirge of dread is beautiful. Well, haunting.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 am 

Barinellos wrote:
This is actually probably the Masters set I want the MOST out of. I've hated that weird older cards like ghost ship (to pick a name out of a hat) haven't had an appearance in supplemental products, so to see all these interesting older choices, I'm all over it.
Pretty much this. And I haven't looked into the draft archetypes yet, but I think I'll love the experience of drafting a set that has cards from every Magic set in it, it basically looks a lot like a home made cube. With all those Bolts and Counterspells and Dark Rituals, it's going to feel like real Magic again. I sure know dropping two Erg Raiders on turn two with Dark Ritual and mowing through those Savannah Lions on the other side of the table is going to be fun :V The stores in my area offered Iconic Masters drafts for pretty fair prices, if they do the same for this one, I'll definitely draft it, and probably buy two packs to put into my chaos draft box.

So, yeah, don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm going to buy a booster box or anything, it's still a Masters set and those are just too expensive in general (even for the sought after cards in them)*. But I just really like the approach they took with this one, I love what they did with the watermarks, it has cards at all rarities that I want, and it really feels like a trip down memory lane.

That said, I'll be shocked if Commander 2018 won't go full anniversary, too, I'm fully expecting more Oldwalker commanders this year. Serra, Urza, maybe five-colour Taysir...

*In fact, I'm saving most of my Magic budget for Dominaria anyway, that's also why I bought almost no RIX. If Dominaria ends up disappointing me, the joke's on them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:17 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I bought no RIX because the IXA draft format was not enjoyable to me 90% of the time.

If it didn't cost 30-40 dollars for me to draft this set, I would be more excited for it. As it is, there are few cards from this set that I need for my cube, unlike IMA, so shelling out big money so I can get a Tree of Redemption doesn't make me want to touch this set at all.

All the cool cards I should be able to get cheaply by buying singles (Like, that Shade looks real sweet) but the investment to draft is so high without any sort of return.

Also, dat Staaaaangg

And I -really- love the watermarks. If I can get a foil Watermarket for my cube, I'll probably start prioritizing foils of this set over the original ones in my cube.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm 

Look at this beautiful Angelic Page. The art looks like a good seed for Dominaria from some of the bits of Dominaria art that have trickled out so far.

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm 

Or, you know, Serra's Realm.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:52 pm 

I don't remember stained glass being such a key feature of the Realm.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm 

AzureShade wrote:

That architecture is pure Serran though.
I know it turns up in Dominaria and everything, but the lack of perspective doesn't rule out either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

Stained glass elements have featured very prominently in a lot of the art we've seen set on modern Dominaria. Are there any examples of art from Serra's Realm with similar elements?

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:37 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
Stained glass elements have featured very prominently in a lot of the art we've seen set on modern Dominaria. Are there any examples of art from Serra's Realm with similar elements?

In a few. I wouldn't say it was a substantial motif, but it isn't a particularly unusual motif to find in the first place.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 am 

AzureShade wrote:

Which is indeed interesting, as it was the string that led to the Serran and Benalian stuff mixing.

Stained glass it didn't really feature majorly in the original arts of the Realm that I remember of. (The closest I could remember that sort of hints them are Serra's Hymn and Crystal Chimes ) They mostly focus on the sort of white-ish stone around there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 am 

Identity: Male
Perhaps New Benalia was used as a cue for the stained glass motif?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:56 am 

TPmanW wrote:

That and there being a Serran Church already there before the Realm inhabitants came to Dominaria.

It's a much seamless linking than what happened to (PW) Serra after Urza's Saga being linked to Homelands...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 am 

Moppi wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

That and there being a Serran Church already there before the Realm inhabitants came to Dominaria.

It's a much seamless linking than what happened to (PW) Serra after Urza's Saga being linked to Homelands...

Well... Not Benalia. Sursi had the church.
Benalia was dedicated to Angelfire rather than Serra.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am 

I definitely feel that Page is much more likely to be Dominarian. The floating structure looks slightly off from the usual Serra's Realm model and stained glass is clearly a strong visual motif of the coming set.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 am 

Enjoy: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/art-masters-25-2018-03-13

Quote:
Masters 25 might be a trip down memory lane, but for many, one of the highlights of the set is the new art reimagining classic cards. Let's take a look at a few of these, plus the art descriptions that got us there.

ARCANE DENIAL

Original Printing: Alliances
Color: Blue spell
Action: This is an action shot of a Human female Wizard countering a blast of purplish death magic that's about to engulf her. She does it by spreading her hands out in front up her, fingers pointed away from her. Ice-blue magical energy erupts from her hands to disperse the death magic. For the Wizard's costuming, take inspiration from the reference packet, but feel free to tweak it to make it cooler.
Mood: "Try again!"

IHSAN'S SHADE

Original Printing: Homelands
Color: Legendary black-aligned creature
Action: This is the condemned spirit of a once-noble legendary Human Knight who followed the goddess Serra. Now he is on an eternal quest for redemption. He displays his dishonor by painting his full plate armor black. Start with the Serran Angel armor in the Dominaria world guide, but make it for a male, and paint it black. He wears a full helm. A cloak made from inky black mist is pinned to his shoulders by the circular quartered disks of Serra, which are also painted black. The hood of his cloak is drawn up over his helm. In this shot, we see the cursed Knight at the edge of a cliff, with the moon in the sky.
Mood: Brooding

GOBLIN WAR DRUMS

Original Printing: Fallen Empires
Color: Red spell
Action: When Goblins go to war, they work themselves into a frenzy with war drums that accompany them into battle. For this shot, show a handful of Goblin drummers heading to war on the back of a huge scaly beast. The Goblins ride in a wood-and-leather harness to which their great drums are fixed. They are pounding on the drums in unison. Because the emphasis is on the Goblin drummers, the beast only has to be implied.
Mood: Battle-frenzied

DOOMSDAY

Original Printing: Weatherlight
Color: Black spell
Intention: This is an abstract representation of doomsday. We're looking for a really cool, striking composition more than a literal depiction. The spell gives you five cards to use before you lose the game, so we'd like to see five of something in the art. The original composition shows one way to incorporate that idea of fives. (Note that these five things are not associated with the five different colors.)
Action: This spell represents a powerful, evil sorcerer (yours to design, if we see them) causing the end of the world. They have five "last chances" at power before the end.
Focus: The abstract scene
Mood: Dark apocalyptic power

ENSNARING BRIDGE

Original Printing: Stronghold
Setting: Rath
Color: Colorless artifact
Action: This is a long, narrow bridge made out of flowstone, a form of living liquid stone—a bridge that doesn't want to be crossed. The bridge is red-brown and striated, like sandstone. The hero Gerrard Capashen is attempting to cross the bridge, but hands of stone reach up out of the bridge to grab his legs, immobilizing him. The exact angle and composition aren't as important here—we really just want a cool, modern-Magic take on "bridge that grabs you when you try to cross it."
Mood: Malevolent intelligence where you'd least expect (or want) it.
Notes: Although the bridge is "alive," this isn't a creature card; make sure it looks more like a bridge than like a wall or an elemental.

Like this post