It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
So, I actually want to flip the script on this: instead of throwing down gauntlets of my own, I want you all to throw some gauntlets directly at my noggin!

What would you all like to read, here in 2018?

A few stipulations:

1. No pre-existing M:EM characters!
2. No pre-existing M:EM settings!

What's something that doesn't exist yet, but should?

Here's a bunch. Hopefully you'll manage to dodge a few of these.

Settings:
1. Highly technological (I'm thinking about sci-fi/cyberpunk)
2. A plane where magic is considered dead by the population at large; magical humanoids still exists in incognito. Basically your vanilla urban fantasy setting, I know, I'm trite.

Characters:
1. Exploring new races of characters: sphinxes, horrors (?), minotaurs, ratfolk, naga... planeswalkers or not, it doesn't matter.
2. A lightning mage and/or a mage that exploits their mundane knowledge about their field of expertize (i.e. electromagnetism) to shamelessly minmax their unimpressive magical talent.
3. A cunning mastermind and unrepentant trickster with empathy problems... so that they must discover how to protect their friends' health and morale in a perilous quest/from impending doom, possibly without seeming a heartless schemer in the process. Bonus points if the "friends" are strangers or neutral acquaintances that the character wants to befriend.
4. A villain who has been cursed to bestow Good against their every wish and effort.

Events:
1. Epic high-power, large-scale fight; I'm talking about leaving craters and/or leveled buildings here at the very least. Feel free to abuse the Rule of Cool.
2. A heist where one of the top priorities of the infiltrators is NOT causing large scale mayhem (looking at Hush-Hush here): quiet in, quiet out. Bonus points if there is interesting improvisation and multiple factions involved.
3. Two characters looking forlornly at each other through the surface of a lake. Bonus points if there's a happy ending.
4. A creature wrapped (and thus trapped) in barbed wire.

hidden, humble, slightly shameful request

Edit: Nice new avatar! ...I think it's new, at least?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm 

How about a seafaring marauder from maybe a Nordic-like plane meeting up with one of the great cats, like a lion or something, and having to overcome it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 am 

Thanks to everyone for throwing down gauntlets, and please keep them coming! As I've been trying to figure out some rough goals for 2018, one that I've settled on is that I want to try to spend some time with new characters, in addition to revisiting old friends, so all these prompts are valuable grist for the idea mill!

1. A fantasy world that has a concept of "sports" similar to ours, and a "sports star" from that world

I've already been meaning to write more about pulseball on Solphos, so that wouldn't exactly be a new setting, per se, but it definitely fits with one of my wants-to-do's...

6. An artist. While I'm sure we have several 'walkers who are likely pretty good with visual art, I do not believe we have any for whom art is their defining drive.

I like this one, too... Hrmm...

Barinellos wrote:
...hell, I actually had a few ideas in the pocket not too long ago, but they've been moved into my standby programs.
Um, lemme get back to you.

I'm easy to find! :D

1. Highly technological (I'm thinking about sci-fi/cyberpunk)

Man, I have a Solphos story which is 80 percent in the can, and has been for almost a year. I really, really need to try to get that one over the finish line.

I do like Solphos...

1. Exploring new races of characters: sphinxes, horrors (?), minotaurs, ratfolk, naga... planeswalkers or not, it doesn't matter.

On my list of quarter-baked ideas (these ideas are not even close to being half-baked...), two notions with basically no context, but which I find myself coming back to again and again, are "bee-person" and "moth-person." Maybe I'll manage to get one of those realized this year...

4. A villain who has been cursed to bestow Good against their every wish and effort.

This is hilarious, and I desperately hope that someone who can write it better than I would takes it and runs with it. :D

3. Two characters looking forlornly at each other through the surface of a lake. Bonus points if there's a happy ending.

Now that sounds more like my speed...

:D

hidden, humble, slightly shameful request

Hey, I don't think there's anything shameful about it! It can't really be an NGA thing, for user agreement reasons, but I know Deckhopper and Keeper did some exploration along those lines, back in the day.

How about a seafaring marauder from maybe a Nordic-like plane meeting up with one of the great cats, like a lion or something, and having to overcome it?

I am not proud of how long it took me to catch the joke, here...

Besides, who wants to read non-fiction? :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 am 

As a dark reveal, I've... kinda been paid to do erotic fiction in the past.

I came up with a possible gauntlet, though hardly one of my original ones, but... crank out something using some old Un-cards... but take it totally seriously.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
@Barinellos: that's not dark at all! :D

I am not proud of how long it took me to catch the joke, here...

Besides, who wants to read non-fiction? :D

Um, can someone help me with this pun?

please keep them coming!

Hmmm....

Locations
-A plane with a very messed up geometry.
-A waterfall so high that the people living near the end of it have all sorts of legends about where it starts.

Characters
-A mechanical and/or magical half-cyborg.
-An off-color angel/demon.
-A mage whose magic reflects the Storm combo playstyle.

Events
-A mexican standoff with hilarious/heartwarming "weapons", like three children threatening each other with adorable stuffed animals during a sleepover.
-A story focused on a dice game or a roleplaying game similar to either TTRPGs or The Oldest Game from Sandman (Example: 1 2 3 4)

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am 

Identity: Human
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to notice activity in this thread, bus, assuming OL is still taking challenges/requests:

A heist on the order of Ocean's Eleven. You could argue that several of Jackie's stories are a heist stories, but I mean something that's less of a western and more in the vein of the classic (and modern) heist movies with an emphasis on the protagonists' plan and the tension of it almost going wrong possibly multiple times over. Would be a good fit for an Underground London type of setting, that's already crawling with a seedy underbelly and a rich aristocracy.

A spy character like James Bond, 'walker status optional. This may not be super-appealing to me, but for all the sneaky dealings and stealthy characters we have in Magic canon and our own canon, I can't think of one who actually has that "man for all seasons" vibe.

As I write these I realize that I'm so far behind in our canon that some of my requests might have actually been fulfilled already.

A story in the vein of a Grimm Fairy Tale. Again, I know this has already more or less happened with an actual book in our canon that led to Beryl and Aloise finding the Wanderer, but I want more of that.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16