It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359 ... 366  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
hey so I've been thinking about a thing for a while and I figured I'd post it here.

basically, I've burned out almost entirely on YMtC, and that has the unintended consequence of leaving the last Ossia set hanging, probably indefinitely. I just don't see me completing it, at least not the way I want to. but that also means the story I've been telling is getting abandoned in its third act, and that's no good. I know basically how I want to resolve it, but I don't have the energy to write it as a story or a card set. it's just not in me right now, and I don't know how long it'll be before it is. but I'm getting tired of sitting on it and I'd like to move it to Public (not that I necessarily expect anyone else to do anything with it, but for whatever reason having it Private feels like a bunch of pressure to me in ways I can't really explain. I'd just feel better if it was more open, even if no one used it.) so I'm thinking I might just skip to the end, right up the relevant changes to the dossier, and just vote on those as dry, historical facts rather than parts of a story. I don't love doing it that way, but if I don't I'm not sure it'll get done at all.

so... what do y'all think? does that make sense as a solution? or should I wait until I'm feeling like actually doing it right? or should I force myself to do it right even though I'm not feeling it because inspiration is a habit and I'm never gonna do it unless I just start doing it? I don't know. I feel bad about Ossia 'cause I'm really invested in their lives and then I kinda just abandoned them, and I feel like I owe the world a resolution. a lot of the individual Isle stuff has already been done, although I'd probably want to set the final dossier a little bit later than those events so there's still a bit more to do, but at least some of those developments are already fleshed out publicly.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
What Raven said. I'm sure nobody will object if you wanted to talk about things a bit more, or if you need to vent in general. We're here for you.

Thank you both. I grew up with a few issues about sharing and venting, but I'm going to work on that too.

razorborne wrote:
so... what do y'all think? does that make sense as a solution? or should I wait until I'm feeling like actually doing it right? or should I force myself to do it right even though I'm not feeling it because inspiration is a habit and I'm never gonna do it unless I just start doing it? I don't know. I feel bad about Ossia 'cause I'm really invested in their lives and then I kinda just abandoned them, and I feel like I owe the world a resolution. a lot of the individual Isle stuff has already been done, although I'd probably want to set the final dossier a little bit later than those events so there's still a bit more to do, but at least some of those developments are already fleshed out publicly.

Fleshing out a timeline for the basic facts now and writing stories about some of those events later sounds like a good idea to me. The nature of this project allows us to create in a non-linear way, so having a "hard facts" structure that you (/we) can enrich with details when we feel like it seems as good a solution as any. (I hope the syntax of these sentences is correct)

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 pm 

Identity: Human
razorborne wrote:
hey so I've been thinking about a thing for a while and I figured I'd post it here.

basically, I've burned out almost entirely on YMtC, and that has the unintended consequence of leaving the last Ossia set hanging, probably indefinitely. I just don't see me completing it, at least not the way I want to. but that also means the story I've been telling is getting abandoned in its third act, and that's no good. I know basically how I want to resolve it, but I don't have the energy to write it as a story or a card set. it's just not in me right now, and I don't know how long it'll be before it is. but I'm getting tired of sitting on it and I'd like to move it to Public (not that I necessarily expect anyone else to do anything with it, but for whatever reason having it Private feels like a bunch of pressure to me in ways I can't really explain. I'd just feel better if it was more open, even if no one used it.) so I'm thinking I might just skip to the end, right up the relevant changes to the dossier, and just vote on those as dry, historical facts rather than parts of a story. I don't love doing it that way, but if I don't I'm not sure it'll get done at all.

I'd say do whatever you feel would work out the best for you. This is, if you boil it down, a hobby, and shouldn't be a point of stress for you. If you feel it would be more freeing to just let it go, then do; if you think you would feel better just getting it done first, then do.

You could, perhaps, do both, though. You could do a quick outline of those last events, then use that as a jumping-off point for yourself to get in the habit of writing so that it actually gets done. Again, whatever makes you feel better, but it could be an option.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm 

As someone all too familiar with the perniciousness of slavery to a muse's whim, I say follow your instincts. Forcing yourself to write will never turn out something as well as inspiration would, so let the project rest for the moment and just come back to it when you feel you can.

While forcing pen to paper is sound enough career advice, you do more harm to yourself if you let such things guide your creativity.

... but I have about 8 open projects I've no clue when I'll get to, so what do I know?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I think I'll work on a Dossier update and then maybe revisit the full-fledged production later. more than anything I feel like I owe the Ossian people an ending. they deserve better than to be left on a shelf in the middle of two apocalypses. they deserve to know what happens to them, and I suppose y'all do too although full disclosure that's a distant second.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:13 pm 

According to Ye Olde Index page, Happy Birthday, Tevish!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm 

Happy birthday, Tev! I hope you are treated to the cake of your choice!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Happy Birthday, Tevish!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm 

Thank you all ^_^

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm 

Appy birfday!

...in unrelated news, I've been listening to sea shanties most of this week.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm 

Hey, Orcish, I like your new avatar! Where'd you happen by it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 pm 

Mirror selfie! :D

(I kid, I kid. Diosboss did this avatar for me.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 pm 

Very cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 pm 

Very cool.

I use the full version as a playmat! :)

Attachment:
playmat-small.jpg
playmat-small.jpg [ 85.2 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm 

:party:

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm 

Well, I've done the math.
I have 72 decks and counting.

That's more than literally everyone I know combined.
... I feel very isolated by this fact.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 pm 

I don't have nearly enough lands to support that many decks -- forget about color balance, just by volume alone.

Hey guys, I've REALLY missed you all lately. I have been in a not-so-great mental state lately (largely chemical; I have NOT slept well the last two weeks or so since winter decided to finally come to Texas) and I've really been noticing your absence in my life. I hope to rectify that in the coming days/weeks.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

Hey guys, I've REALLY missed you all lately. I have been in a not-so-great mental state lately (largely chemical; I have NOT slept well the last two weeks or so since winter decided to finally come to Texas) and I've really been noticing your absence in my life. I hope to rectify that in the coming days/weeks.

We're always here for ya, buddy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 pm 

<3 you, Luna. Just know that you're wonderful, okay?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:00 am 

Any time you're not around, we're poorer for it.

And my life, while we're discussing it, is finally coming back into a normal shape. Things have been out of the ordinary since Thanksgiving for me and it's all led to a higher degree of stress in my life. It's burnt through my normal energy rations a lot quicker.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, 359 ... 366  Next