It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:46 am 

So, the last panel I attended for Doug Beyer a few weeks ago was something of a group world-building panel. Over-all it was a pretty fun way to see how the Creative Team has to interact with other teams in Magic R&D throughout the design and development of a Magic set. I would like to have a contest of sorts here that mimics what we did in that panel somewhat. Essentially, each contestant would begin to creatively develop a world, and each round, I would bring each contestant notes from various R&D teams that may require alterations or elaborations to that player’s world based n mechanical, artistic, brand, corporate, or even legal needs of the set. It would begin with world concepting, then move through various design and development phases and end with naming and flavor text for various cards that I may have the “Development Team” turn in for your worlds. Afterwards, either I will grade the progress and finished product myself, or open it up to a voting system to declare a winner (haven’t really decided yet).

Is this something that enough people here would like to try?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am 

Yarr, count me in.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm 

Well, there's one. If I can get at least two more, we can make this thing happen.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 pm 

:party::party::party:

I'm interested.

Don't count me as an actual member or anything, because to be honest I don't think my abilities are that good.
If it devolves into a 1v1 I don't want to be responsible for that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 pm 

Don't count yourself out like that. The game is a lot easier than you'd think. It's mostly concepting a world and then defending it or squaring it with requirements from other departments as they come.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm 

Identity: Human
Someone seems to be trying to recruit me.

How long are these rounds, anyway?

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 pm 

Probably three days or so depending on how fast everyone adapts to the round challenges.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 pm 

On the one hand, I love me some worldbuilding.
On the other, I am crap at meeting deadlines under these circumstances.

More, I have problems with restraint and I doubt I could create smallscale stuff.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

More, I have problems with restraint and I doubt I could create smallscale stuff.

Well you can compete with me, because we both have the same problem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Well you can compete with me, because we both have the same problem.
I really think both of you would do just fine. And if it turns out we need to extend the rounds out a little bit, it should be no problem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 am 

Anyway, it seems I have maybe enough contestants to justify this thing. I'll put out the deals for round one and leave it open until Monday. If we have at least three people biting by then, we'll get this story train rolling.

The Deal: You are a member of the Creative Team. You have been tasked with concepting a world for an upcoming (but far out) Magic expansion. This world has been slotted in the "New Worlds" category and right now all you need to come up with is the three things all Magic worlds need at this stage in Development:

(All examples are from the world building panel I attended.)
1.) A basic world premise. (As an example: A fantasy world featuring the return of the Anurid (frog) race re-imagined as traveling Frog Bards.)
2.) The feeling of the world; preferably one that can be marketed or tag-lined. (As an example, we chose "Betrayal.")
3.) A twist. (As an example: In the panel, we decided that the core of the set would be a relatively basic two-faction fight between some freewheeling Frog Bards and another, more conservative race, ala a Romeo and Juliet-esque story. The twist would be that there is a third faction of...and bear with me here, "shape-shifting hawks" that are pulling both strings for their own ends. The twist would tie into the feeling of "Betrayal" via Spoiler Season, where WotC would actively avoid spoiling any cards that reference the third faction, allowing players to discover it on Pre-Release/Release. As a real-world example, the "Twist" with Amokhet was that it was not an idyllic Egyptian world as presented, but instead was a dark and evil place turning on Bolas's machinations.)

So, with that criteria in mind, give me those three things. Feel free to be as specific or as vague in your ideas as you want. Your first pass will be sent to the "Brand Team" to see if it's a concept they can work with.

Last edited by AzureShade on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
It's definitely out of my comfort zone, working on a "tight" fixed schedule for creative works, but I'm interested.

Are we to just throw our three things here? Like
1.) A world with developed portal magic and transportation magi-technology where information, wares and people can move at a moment's notice through the plane.
2.) Faster than Light. It's ambitious on a mechanical standpoint, but can be represented by high zone mobility, conditional permission and conditional unblockability. It won't be a newbie-friendly set.
3.) A planeswalker guided the current civilization in its path, and considers the plane their masterwork. A rival planeswalker, the scholar who helped the natives develop portal magic from the shadows, aims to ruin the plane: every use of the portals makes the spatial structure of the plane more unstable, and they use the advanced transportation, originally designed following the plane's leylines to benefit from their natural magic, to tap into the leyline's mana to corrupt the plane's magic and eventually make the whole plane implode.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

Yep, just like that.

EDIT: Also, if you think this is rough, at the panel we had to crank out this information in minutes....via committee (or person who yelled loud enough), and we ended up with....something. With a few days to ponder between rounds, I'm sure you guys will be okay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 pm 

I'd been turning over the possibility of just using elements from worlds I'd started in the pat, but... well, they didn't get finished for a reason. But there was one element that I kept gravitating to, and I really worked out something cool to do with it.

1) A world literally falling apart, bits breaking off from the edges of the world and fading into the Eternities while islands still hang in the fringes of the world. The population is flooding to the center of the world and roughly half of it is already gone. Slightly pre-steampunk aesthetics.
2) Ominous and oppressive, but with an underlying aspect of some mystery about the fate of the world and what will become of its occupants.
3)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am 

1.) A world where dreams, nightmares, fantasies, and thoughts come to life of their own accord. Naturally, there would be a lot of Illusions and Nightmares and other 'unreal' creatures and 'tricky' spells.
2.) Mystery. [Edit: here I realize your description did not suggest 'one word' like I thought] Tagline could be something like "Part the Veil" since finding 'truth' under the web of what's real and what's not would be an important element.
3.) The layers of illusion go far deeper than ephemeral dream-scenes people know about: the world most natives and visitors perceive is itself an illusion hiding the real world and a lot of people that seem real and whose thoughts become illusions are themselves illusions. We could use Morph, Transform, or both to represent 'unmasking' elements of reality and dropping through the layers of illusion, all the way to the real world

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am 

Identity: Human
I had this as an idea years ago, but eventually dropped it because I realized that Magic's newer tendencies to base worlds on real mythologies and not do their own things anymore* will eventually lead them to do this very concept, so what better place to throw it out there than a random forum contest?

1.) A Kung-Fu plane in much the same vein as Kung-Fu Panda, where each race has a specialized martial art based on the animal they resemble. E.g. catfolk would practice a tiger style, snakefolk/naga would have snake style, Lor/Moor-styled insectile fairies have mantis style, etc.. To incorporate a bit more pop Chinese mythology (mostly stolen from Jackie Chan Adventures and Xiaolin Showdown), add in some astral projection and some artifacts of power that directly affect their user's martial prowess.

2.) Fighting for the right to rule. The current emperor is either recently deceased or dying, and each race is trying to prove its right to rule by conquest — probably squeeze in some references to the three kingdoms period, but I don't know that history very well.

3.) A massive change to the status quo is just around the corner. While these kingdoms are squabbling among themselves, foreigners are coming with completely different magic and technology. Regardless of whether they peacefully trade or aggressively invade, the fate of these kingdoms will be forever altered.

Honestly I'm somewhat at a loss for number 2. It's kind of baked into the game that you fight to prove dominance, but I tend to think "shouldn't that be enough for a world?" because I don't really interact much with the game side.

Similarly with number 3, I am loathe to put a traditional "twist" that most people might expect, especially since for the past decade that has more often than not meant ruining a very interesting world. The only alternative I could think of was a surprise reveal that the emperor is made into a lich or something and uses his Shen Gong Wu artifacts of power to crush the squabbling kingdoms.

*I realize this is a bit of a fallacy because Arabian Nights was a set long before I entered the scene, but I got into Magic not only right at a time when they were being really creative with Ravnica and Dominaria and Alara, but precisely because they were making their own things and not taking existing mythologies, and as such a lot of more recent worlds (Theros, Innistrad, Amonkhet) have failed utterly to catch my attention.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am 

Some good entries so far.

EDIT: If we hit six entries by Friday, I'll probably cap the contest there and get to work on my "notes from Brand" over the weekend so that they are ready for you all on Monday.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am 

...the emperor is made into a lich or something...

(Sorry, I just really wanted to use that Lopan reaction. Seemed to fit said alternate twist. As for some of your opening statements, I feel like "Kung Fu World" died with Tarkir. I'd enjoy it if that wasn't the case, but I have a feeling Tarkir would either be revisited and retooled or would have to fade from memory a good deal more. As to magic doing its own thing versus pillaging existing themes... I feel like I enjoy a little of both. I love the uniqueness and creativity of Fallen Empires and, oddly enough, Ice Age, and enjoy the heck out of Homelands though it could be said to owe a good deal of its 'feel' to older tropes. And beyond that there's the Artificer-Fantasy that began in Antiquities and is basically Magic's unique claim to fame, and probably its biggest donation to the Speculative Fiction market as a whole: I don't know how much of a 'thing' Magitech was before 1994. I mean, Spelljammer existed, but as sad as this fact is it's largely forgotten. That's a 'uniqueness' to the Multiverse that threads through some of its biggest names like Dominaria and Phyrexia. But at the same time I like it when Magic does something that maybe takes clear inspiration or is intended to evoke a thing, but then swerves it hard. Like Ixalan or Innistrad are "Age of Exploration" and "Gothic Horror" but Ixalan throws us Catholic vampires and Mayincatec Dinosaurs and Innistrad... well, for me its riffs on the theme are subtler but probably more core, and it doesn't really cut to the source material, stories that presented a world much like our own except this horrifying thing exists, to have vampires, werewolves, the walking dead, and frankenstein's monster all in the same place. By comparison I wasn't really a fan of Amonkhet and found the onslaught of Bolas in HOU to be fairly gratifying, and I really do despise Theros. Like, it hasn't offended me in the same way that Ravnica or Tarkir did, but I think there may well be less there to save. It took away little, but it gave me nothing. Certainly less than could be salvaged from Tarkir, I loved Khans timeline's world...)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am 

1) A realm being born, barely shaped, but the elementals and spirits watch as the first fledgling races of this new place take form and guide them. Though nothing in the multiverse is truly new, everything attempts to take a new shape here. The lands that exist are fragmented, but none truly kept apart as it grows into a whole.
2) Wonder, this is a plane that hasn't taken it's true shape yet, and the beings of this place and those outside it see the creatures try to become what they desire to be.
3) It's a rare moment when someone sees the birth of a plane, but some outsiders have managed to come here, one seeing its potential wants to shape it according their will, another however does not want to see the perversion...

Last edited by Shockwave07 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am 

One slot left. Preadatordetector, if you wanted in on this, I'm giving you first crack at the last spot.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next