It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:01 pm 

For some reason it's struck me how much I love suspend. But it's probably not ever going to come back. Please satisfy my nostalgia by designing a card with suspend.

Contest ends on Sunday maybe because the next couple days are gonna be busy. I'll probably get all the entries I'm gonna get long before then but it gives me a nice long time to write my nonsense

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 pm 

Test User (1)
Inception
Sorcery
Exile ~ and your hand. For each card exiled this way, put a number of time counter on it equal to its converted mana cost. Each card exiled this way without suspend gains suspend. (Cards with zero converted mana cost remain in exile and can't be cast.)
Suspend 6 -

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Stasis Pod
Enchantment
When Stasis Pod enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent until Stasis Pod leaves the battlefield.
If Stasis Pod would leave the battlefield, exile it instead and put three time counters on it.
Suspend 3 -

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Temporal Infiltrator
Creature ─ Shapeshifter (R)
You may have Temporal Infiltrator enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.
Suspend (Rather than cast this card from your hand, you may pay and exile it with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. It has haste.)
: Suspend Temporal Infiltrator with X time counters. X can't be 0. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
0/0

Cato

Last edited by Dudibus on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Gift of the North Tree-
Sorcery
Until end of turn, whenever you tap a land for mana, add one additional mana to your mana pool of any type that land produced.
Suspend 2-
As the season shifts and the frost melts, the spirits bring life back to the woods.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 pm 

Castle of Mists |
Artifact Creature - Wall (U)
Defender
Suspend — . X can't be 0. (Rather than cast this card from your hand, you may pay and exile it with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. It has haste.)
Remove X time counters from Castle of Mists: Prevent the next X damage that target creature or spell would deal this turn. This ability can be used while Castle of Mists is in exile.
0/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 am 

Ready for Battle - :r:
Sorcery
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control this turn, that creature gains haste until end of turn.
Suspend 1-
When you suspend ~, draw a card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Pyromancer's Fury
Sorcery (U)
Choose two —
  • Pyromancer's Fury deals 2 damage to target creature.
  • Pyromancer's Fury deals 2 damage to target player.
  • Exile Pyromancer's Fury with a time counter on it.
Suspend 3 —

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:04 am 

Skullbriar, the Twisted Grave
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Zombie Elemental
Suspend 0 - . You may suspend ~ from any zone other than the library and the battlefield.
, Exile another creature you control: Put a time counter and a +1/+1 counter on ~. You may activate this ability when ~ is suspended.
Counters remain on ~ as it moves to another zone other than a player's hand or library.
0/0

Last edited by Confused on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:18 pm 

Sol Ring
Artifact
: Add to your manager pool.
Suspend 4 -
Hot ring - Mishra

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 pm 

Identity: Female
Timelost Wurm -
Creature - Wurm
Trample, Hexproof
Suspend 4 -
11/11

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:49 pm 

I'm not going to judge today because I'm very tired and I can't be bothered.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Five Sun Alignment | :4::g:
Sorcery

If you cast ~ from exile, spells you cast cost :w::u::b::r::g: less to cast until end of turn. Otherwise, add :w::u::b::r::g: to your mana pool.
Suspend 5 - :g:

Yugioh: Legacy of the Duelist Treason!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 am 

Before I begin, this contest has given me a better understanding of one of the reasons suspend isn't coming back, viz. that for a mechanic that's already pretty complicated, trying to do anything cool with it makes it hell of more complicated. No blame attaches, I think it's something endemic to suspend rather than your executions of it.

theatog: This is obviously supposed to be a build-around card, but exiling your entire hand is going to make it difficult to interact with it or protect yourself while it counts down, and isn't really necessary since it's usually only one or two cards that are gonna be your 'I win' buttons anyway. And the fact that the number of time counters is equal to CMC makes it unlikely you'll get your win cards earlier than you would otherwise anyway, especially since the earliest you can cast Inception naturally is turn 6, and if you're ramping into it or trying to cheat it out, why don't you just ramp into/cheat out your win cards? So this probably wouldn't work nearly as well as something like Jhoira of the Ghitu, which lets you both get around CMC and keep a gripful of cards to stay in the game with.

Edacade: I do quite like this as a concept. My main concerns are that it's a little slow - but that's more a development issue in this case - and that the second ability isn't necessarily that likely to come up since a lot of opponents wouldn't be able to remove it anyway. And you can't really trigger it yourself by saccing it or bouncing it or whatever since if your opponent plays something you want gone you probably can't wait so long for that to happen. You could just be bouncing O-Ring instead. I think I would prefer it if it were just a suspendable O-Ring because it'd be interesting to have to wait and see what you could remove. Like this

Stasis Pod
Enchantment
When Stasis Pod enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Stasis Pod leaves the battlefield.
Suspend 3 -

But yeah.

Dudibus: Again I would prefer this card if it were just a Clone with suspend. As it is I find it hard to imagine why you'd ever suspend it for X > 1? And it doesn't even let you get around removal.

I do have to point out that as written the card won't even have the last ability when it's Cloning something, but it doesn't matter since I know it's supposed to and it's an easy fix.

razorborne: Yeah I like it. It actually does manage to be an interesting design that's simple in execution, which is nice. Dunno about the numbers, I think the suspend would be fine at :2::g:, but ~development~

Yarium: This is more like a sorcery that can affect multiple turns than a creature. But like it's a little weird because you want to use it up as quickly as possible because letting it tick down by itself is a waste. Also a little weird it only works on creatures and spells. I kinda want to play with it to see how it feels, which obviously isn't gonna happen, but piquing my curiosity like that is a good thing.

Flopfoot: Would you really pay :3::r: for this? Even if it cantrips you're spending 4 mana to do nothing immediately. And the fact the base effect costs :r: means you're not saving enough mana on the casting turn to matter anyway. If it did more than grant haste I could see it.

Q-numbers: Cool. Or hot? I wish it suspended and resuspended for 2, partially for ~aesthetics~ and partially because picking resuspend feels like it'd be the correct decision the majority of the time, so making it two counters creates more of a choice. But yeah I do like this quite a bit actually.

Confused: I'd say!

Knifethrower: There isn't much to judge here but I think you know that. Like, it's a card that could be printed. The only thing you could do is playtest it and see how the numbers pan out. numbers

Lilan: Another numbers card. You're... not going to pay the actual mana cost very often I shouldn't think. Unconditional hexproof on big fatties that come down relatively early isn't much fun either, especially since it has haste when it unsuspends. Desuspends? It's a big fat wurm.

Tekkahedron: This is like razor's card, only it's potentially way more of a blowout off suspend, and is awful to hardcast. There shouldn't be so much of a gulf there.

I realize that the first two cards got more analysis but that's because they were the first two cards. I dunno why I ever run contests because I sure do suck at it. Anyway here's the winner

Spoiler

Last edited by Mata Hari on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

yeah my main goal was to find a way to make the suspend cost more than the front end without spelling out explicit benefits. I considered going to 1 time counter, but I thought suspend 2 would give more of a choice. didn't really think about going down to for suspend, but you might be right.

anyway I quite liked Q's card as well, so I don't mind losing to it.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:10 am 

Within the sea of text, I got the shortest comment. Good or bad, I call that a win.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Yeah, in retrospect, I agree that two time counters would have made it more of a decision. I just remember Arc Blade being a disappointing card and wanted to ramp up the power a bit.

Either way, I'm glad you liked it! :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Similar to Q's inspiration being Arc Blade, I was trying a different approach to that cycle. Yeah, probably unnecessary (and definitely what was increasing the cost of the card and Suspend), but I was going for interesting over practical. :incognito:

Probably should have made it a creature instead, but then my problem would have been finding an appropriate creature type to give it. Reflection might could have worked.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:42 am 

Test User (1)
razorborne wrote:
yeah my main goal was to find a way to make the suspend cost more than the front end without spelling out explicit benefits. I considered going to 1 time counter, but I thought suspend 2 would give more of a choice. didn't really think about going down to for suspend, but you might be right.

like Nantuko Shaman. I distinctly remembered caring about untapped lands is one of the space they explored.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
razorborne wrote:

like Nantuko Shaman. I distinctly remembered caring about untapped lands is one of the space they explored.

yeah but the shaman's still super blatant about it.

Like this post