It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 am 

Quote:
commandernqn asked:
Do you ever will reveal what was the original story planned for the Weatherlight Saga?

markrosewater said:
I do want to one day tell Michael and my original version. Probably in a podcast.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: Him
To put my two cents here, the only thing I'm not okay with is Mirri. Nothing ever goes right for her and she ends up not getting the guy she loves. Her dieing is just sadistic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 am 

Quote:
vijard asked:
It's my birthday, and you know what that means! Any trivia on my favorite commander and Hanna's dad, Barrin, Master Wizard?

markrosewater said:
We needed a mechanic for The Weatherlight, so we thought about where the person could be from. We came up with the idea that they had studied at the Tolarian Academy.

Was there a way to use a character we already knew? In the end we decided to use the child if a character we knew and after examining all the options, we chose Barrin.

Happy Birthday!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm 

What a strange answer. We didn't know Barrin before the start of the Weatherlight Saga. We didn't even know there was an Academy at Tolaria! Although Wizards did have a habit of producing a lot of lore stuff that was never made public, so perhaps Barrin was invented for some project that was never completed, like the RPG or the lore encyclopedia coffee table book, making him known to the creators of the Weatherlight Saga, though not the public.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 pm 

Quote:
withinthe asked:
Maro! I'll give this another shot. Today is my partner's and my seventh wedding anniversary! Any trivia on the black/white colour pair (our wedding colours and also, not coincidentally, the thing that first drew me to Magic).

markrosewater said:
I believe the first solely black/white legendary creature was Selenia, Dark Angel, a character Michael and I created to get an angel into the Weatherlight Saga.

Happy Anniversary!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 pm 

Can I get some examples of MaRo and his involvement w/ the Story team for the Weatherlight?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 pm 

He was half the Story team for the Weatherlight. Right up until "something" happened and he was removed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 pm 

How have I never heard this. I wonder what happened....

Maybe I'll run into Myrfors or the like and ask them if they know anything.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 pm 

Well if you find out anything, put it here. All we know is that MaRo had a massive hand in the Storyline during Weatherlight, and then did something to lose control around the Rath Cycle (Tempest/Stronghold/Exedus). The story of what he did to lose control is shrouded in mystery as he won't directly talk about it yet and only lets bits of his original plan for the block leak out on his blog very rarely.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 am 

Stuff we kinda already knew, but eh. A mention is a mention.

Quote:
orkinman911 asked:
Do you, by any chance, have ill feelings towards Mercadia since it was the first weatherlight story (not counting the urza diversion) after you lost creative control over the story?

markrosewater said:
We lost control in Rath. That’s where our story got twisted. The Mercadian story had almost nothing to do with us or our story other than it used our characters.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Stuff we kinda already knew, but eh. A mention is a mention.

Quote:
orkinman911 asked:
Do you, by any chance, have ill feelings towards Mercadia since it was the first weatherlight story (not counting the urza diversion) after you lost creative control over the story?

markrosewater said:
We lost control in Rath. That’s where our story got twisted. The Mercadian story had almost nothing to do with us or our story other than it used our characters.

I love that he didn't answer the question. He just clarified the chronology.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 am 

Quote:
thejingleking asked:
Today is my birthday! I'm going to ask for the same thing I asked for last year, can you share something from the original version of the Weatherlight saga that you've never shared before?

markrosewater said:
In the original story, Volrath disguises himself not as Starke but as Tahngarth.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am 

AzureShade wrote:
Quote:
thejingleking asked:
Today is my birthday! I'm going to ask for the same thing I asked for last year, can you share something from the original version of the Weatherlight saga that you've never shared before?

markrosewater said:
In the original story, Volrath disguises himself not as Starke but as Tahngarth.

Happy Birthday!

Not that I care much, but he already shared that one. And the first time, he correctly remembered that Volrath had disguised himself as Takara, not Starke.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 am 

Yeah, the further we get away from it, the less and less I expect a coherent re-telling.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:14 am 

Honestly, of all the stories-that-could-have-been in Magic, Maro's vision for the Weatherlight saga is probably the one I'm least interested in.

*looks sadly at pre-Origins continuity and Planeswalker War*

And maybe I'm biased because I don't have the highest opinion of Maro, but they probably pulled him off the project for a good reason...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm 

It's not that I'm very invested in wanting to know the MaRo version of the Weatherlight story because I think it was better. It's more of a completionistic drive. There are hundreds of stories circulating Hollywood about various movies where the studio stepped in and changing things for the better and I'm willing to bet Wizards stepping in when they did to hand the creative reigns to someone else was probably a better call, as evidenced by what little information MaRo trickles out about his original intentions that seem...well, just odd when measured up against the final version. I do think that it is important that we get MaRo's story at some point though, if just to see how it stacked up in the end.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 am 

Quote:
totally-skelebones asked:
Hi Mark! Today is my birthday so can I get some trivia on my favorite tribe, Elves?

markrosewater said:
Rofellos exists because we wanted a Llanowar Elf involved in the Weatherlight Saga. His death ended up being the reason Gerrard originally left the Weatherlight.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 am 

Quote:
fingythegoblin asked:
Hello, Mark! I know that the final Weatherlight story is different from the original concept. But has this original version been posted somwhere? Or told by you on a convention? Thanks.

markrosewater said:
One of these days, I’ll do a podcast on it.

Well, that's something a little more concrete to hope for.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 am 

Some "incidental" information.

Quote:
fightklubblog-waffles-blog-blog asked:
Hi, Mark. It's my birthday and I was wondering if you could pass along a piece of trivia about my favorite plane, Rath. I know it's awful high on the Rabia Scale and may be irreverseibly merged with some other plane, but it was the current thing when I started playing and I'll never forget it.

markrosewater said:
The name for Rath came from the, then playtest, name of Death Pits of Rath. As soon as the name for the plane was agreed upon by Michael Ryan and myself (we wrote the initial Weatherlight Saga) I created Apes of Rath.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am 

Quote:
abernum asked:
It's my birthday! I've tried a couple of times to get trivia so let's try again. Can I get any kind of Cat related-trivia? Failing that, trivia relating to something that isn't Magic?

markrosewater said:
Michael and I added Mirri to the Weatherlight Saga because we really wanted a cat warrior on the crew.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next