It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 am 

Mown wrote:
The majority of M:tG's playebase consists of humans though, not computers.

Trying to be considerate for MTGO is hard man!
Also, having the steps of what the card does be in a different order (a, c, b) is what I was trying to avoid.

Mown wrote:
r8 my card

Actually that's pretty sweet.

Edacade wrote:
Why would X be an absolute value? If you have a negative life total (and some way of not losing from that), Death's Shadow gets +X/+X instead of -X/-X (for example, if you're at -4 life, Death's Shadow gets +4/+4). Your spell, under the original wording, would similarly give -X/-X if the creature you control has a smaller toughness than the creature you don't control. Which could be a viable strategy if you're also running Behind the Scenes and have a lot of stuff with power greater than your opponent's creatures.

To be honest, I think that the exact words...
"X is the difference in toughness between the chosen creatures"
...is a bit ambiguous, and could go either way.
I want to save space.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:05 pm 

Test User (1)
Mown wrote:
The majority of M:tG's playebase consists of humans though, not computers.

r8 my card

Mown. i can't like you much more. please stop.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:20 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

The heavily biased and uninformed comments:

UselessCommon - Whats not to love? Balanced and playable and perfectly in pie. 3 points.
AzureShade - First mode is a tiny bit out of color for blue. Sort of. But only because I'm feeling nitpicky. Second one seems white? or green? The last one is a safe UR. Not feeling this one. 1 Point.
Yarium - Seems like a fun card. Definitely in pie. 3 points.
SimicMimic - Seems on the overpowered side to me? I could see this in just white. I don't think I can see this in just black though. 2 Points.
Edacade - Seems like a nice, safe card. The abilities exist strongly in blue and red. 2 Points.
Malikot - Doesn't seem white to me? I get the red. If you had changed it to "attacking or blocking creature" it would have moved into white for me. The initial cost could have been I think. Making the flashback monored shows design talent. 2 points.
theatog - seems good to me. I would be upset for this to be my rare though. 2 Points.
purplebackpack89 - Nailed it. 3 Points.
Knight Otu - I would have had it count itself. It doesn't really seem like a card that is both blue and green to me. I see the green with trample, but it doesn't work with the monoblue, and vice versa. 1 Point.
aranthinius - I don't think that reminder text works the way you would hope. For instance, looking at Vigor, the same ability stretches across multiple lines, and is therefore not represented properly in the reminder text. I mean, I see what you were going for, and I can tell that Vigor would get +3/+3 with this card. Or at least I think so. I would have just left it with the keyword abilities, which are much easier to quantify. 2 Points.
Mown - Nailed it. 3 Points. If I was still giving out bonuses I would give a bonus for the Code Card.
Confused - Not sure where I would put this. The boost is large but balanced by the opponent getting the creature. That returning under your opponent seems more black to me, but not necessarily not white. 2 Points.
resdamalos - This is direct creature removal in green, with enough creatures. Or it's a finisher in your deck. I'm torn. It's seems likely a little to versatile, and very oppressive in Limited. I can't tell what I think about this card so it gets 2 Points.
tekkahedron - Nailed it. 3 Points.
preadatordetector - The pump seems green, and I like how it plays with greens "Big Guys" part of the pie. Is it black? I guess so. Lifelink seems tacked on to make it seem more black. Still viable though. 2 Points.

STANDINGS:

UselessCommon - 8 Points
Yarium - 8 Points
Mown - 8 Points
resdamalos - 7 Points
Edacade - 7 Points
purplebackpack89 - 7 Points
Knight Otu - 6 Points
preadatordetector - 6 Points
theatog - 6 Points
Malikot - 6 Points
AzureShade - 5 Points
Confused - 5 Points
aranthinius - 4 Points
tekkahedron - 4 Point
SimicMimic - 4 Points
ParadOxymoron - 2 Points

CRITERIA: Make a Non-Green MONOCOLORED Mythic OR Rare that utilizes only Tertiary abilities. (Green really gets shafted in the tertiary department.)

YingLung

TPmanW

Last edited by Dudibus on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm 

Dudibus wrote:
AzureShade - First mode is a tiny bit out of color for blue. Sort of. But only because I'm feeling nitpicky. Second one seems white? or green? The last one is a safe UR. Not feeling this one. 1 Point.
I assumed that between cards like Taigam's Strike and Triton Tactics that blue could get away with pumping both power and toughness separately like options one and two combined. With cards like Distemper of the Blood I figured red could do the same (especially since pumping the toughness and then switching power and toughness would technically be boosting the power....). And as you said, both colors are cool with option three.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Creature - Avatar
Flash, Indestructible, Protection from spells and from activated abilities
Avatar of the Fallen's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in all graveyards.
It fights to preserve the memory of those who have fallen.
*/*

I wanted to give it protection from players, but then I remembered that that would prevent it from being blocked, which is not the intention.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:56 pm 

Oh no, that's a moral dilemma now.

I HATE mythics and don't want to make them.

Can I do a rare but you'll pretend it's a mythic and rate it ?

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:56 pm 

Permanent gaining control of creatures, permanent mana generation, ongoing +N/+N

Soul Battery
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature. It becomes a Swamp land in addition to its other types and can't attack or block.
Other creatures you control get +X/+X, where X is enchanted creature's power.
"On the contrary, my dear. I know exactly how powerful you are... in fact, I'm counting on it."

Last edited by resdamalos on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:04 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Oh no, that's a moral dilemma now.

I HATE mythics and don't want to make them.

Can I do a rare but you'll pretend it's a mythic and rate it ?

Since there is a very fine line between Rare and Mythic, I will allow people to make the choice.

YingLung

TPmanW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm 

Thanks !

Knowledge Lost
Creature - Incarnation (R)
Trample
This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your opponents' graveyards.
A long as there is a card in an opponent's graveyard, Knowledge Lost gains protection from all cards with that name.
If I was a mythic, I probably could've cost or count all graveyards for both of mine abilities. *wink-wink* But that would be OP, you know.
What ?
Someone had knowledge how to break the fourth wall, but lost it. Naturally, I can do it now !

*/*

bonus

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Last edited by UselessCommon on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Somilak, Time Eater
Creature — Elemental Horror
Flash
When you cast Somilak, Time Eater, end the turn.
You can't cast spells.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:52 pm 

There's a reason that cards shouldn't have only tertiary abilities; they feel forced and ugly. Here's my best shot.

Hero of High Hill |
Creature - Human Warrior {MR}
Prowess
At the beginning of your second main phase, if Hero of High Hill's power is 4 or greater, untap all creatures that attacked this turn. After this main phase there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm 

Ordinal Authority
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays . If no mana was spent to cast the spell, exile it instead.
Everything in Rishala is taxed. Free usually starts out meaning "stolen" and ends up meaning "confiscated."

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:10 pm 

Green has so few tertiary abilities because it has so many secondary ones.

Surprised you liked double battle cry so much.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm 

1g 1/1 Flying Protection from Flying
Lel

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

Syndis, Tidal Champion |
[Legendary Creature - Elemental Warrior] (M)
Whenever Syndis attacks or blocks, untap all islands you control. Put a tide counter on each island untapped this way.
Islands with one tide counter on them have "Elementals you control get +1/+1"
Islands with two tide counters on them have ": untap target elemental. It gains indestructible until end of turn."
Islands with three or more tide counters on them have "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove all tide counters from this island"
0/2

Maybe went a bit overboard... but Luxa establishes a precedent for tide counters in modern, so I think that part is fine at least. And, he is a mythic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:36 pm 

I'm working on the tertiary red abilities of protection, Lhurgoyf, and tutor a land. Except it Emtombing lands.

Gaeavore
Creature-Lhurgoyf (R)
Protection from blue
Gaeavore's power and toughness are each equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards
When Gaeavore enters the battlefield, search target player's library for up to two land cards, and put those cards into that player's graveyard. Then shuffle that library.
*/*

BTW, does animating enchantments show up anywhere in this discussion? I believe not. Therefore, this is ineligible, so ignore it.
Stupid idea Purple Had

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

* Flash
* Stealing permanents
* +N/+N to your team, ongoing

Leashmaster of Bolas
Creature - Human Wizard
Flash
When Leashmaster of Bolas enters the battlefield, you gain control of target creature for as long as you control Leashmaster of Bolas.
, Sacrifice Leashmaster of Bolas and another creature: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each tyranny counter on this emblem." Put X tyranny counters on that emblem, where X is half the total power of the sacrificed creatures, rounded down.
1/5

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Sanctogoyf
Creature — Lhurgoyf (M)
~'s power is equal to the number of different enchant abilities among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
It feeds on lucky charms and talismans, some of whom are believed to hold it at bay.
*/*+1

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm 

Garbo the Cheap
Legendary Creature - Orc Mercenary Knight
First strike
Tap another untapped creature you control: untap up to three target swamps you control. Activate this ability once per turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a Gold artifact token, or shuffle ~ into your library.
3/2
"He demands high pay. However, he's such an efficient taskmaster that it's hard to justify not doing so."

It's not necessarily "devil's deal" because you can choose to not pay him and he just goes away, and he doesn't make things easier for your opponent. However, he's high maintenance nonetheless.

First strike
Permanent mana production

Last edited by preadatordetector on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:57 pm 

Test User (1)
On phone now will format at home

Sadistic Puppetry
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant Creature
You control entranted creature.
Enchanted creature gets -3/-3.
Now. Dance.

Last edited by theatog on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next