It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm 

I dig the tune, although I'm not particularly fond of the reference to Apollo in the lyrics.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:26 pm 

Identity: Male
It's part of the original Hippocratic Oath. (There were also references to Asclepius, Hygeia, and Panacea, but I ran out of syllables.)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 am 

The Weight of a Soul (09-03-2017)

In this public build, you can now play up to about a quarter of the way through Day Two, in which you investigate some dark happenings and get a new toy to play with. Various bug fixes and new-player-friendliness features have also been implemented.

The game has grown large enough that the download size is measured in megabytes -- 4 MB to be exact -- so I added a file size indicator in case someone is running on a mobile hotspot or something. There are also enough conditional rules firing every turn that there's a noticeable pause after each command you enter. At this rate I'm going to have to look into optimization options. For my text game. Yeah. I dunno. I'll figure it out.

A small detail you may have noticed is that I'm shifting to a DD-MM-YYYY dating system. This mirrors my internal version tracking system and is just easier to keep track of.

Comments and criticism appreciated, as always.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 pm 

At this rate I'm going to have to look into optimization options. For my text game. Yeah. I dunno. I'll figure it out.

#devlife

In all seriousness, I can't wait to give this a spin! One of the few notable benefits of not being employed to make games anymore is that, now, I can do whatever I want around these parts. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

At this rate I'm going to have to look into optimization options. For my text game. Yeah. I dunno. I'll figure it out.

#devlife

In all seriousness, I can't wait to give this a spin! One of the few notable benefits of not being employed to make games anymore is that, now, I can do whatever I want around these parts. :D

You're going to self-design a Beryl/Aloise dating sim, aren't you. :nonono:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 pm 

Quick update: I found the feature that was making my game run like molasses, ruthlessly executed it, and left it in an unmarked grave off the Malaysian coast. The public build runs much faster now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 pm 

You're going to self-design a Beryl/Aloise dating sim, aren't you.

Morning: SNUGGLE.
Afternoon: SNUGGLE.
Evening: SNUGGLE.

:D

(In all seriousness, I actually do have something tentatively in the works, although it is probably not an M:EM something.)

Quick update: I found the feature that was making my game run like molasses, ruthlessly executed it, and left it in an unmarked grave off the Malaysian coast. The public build runs much faster now.

I have never met a single game producer who hasn't privately confided that they suspect that engineers put a "make game run slow" function into the code on purpose, so that they can fix it later and be the hero.

Producers are a strange bunch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 am 

Now I'm just imagining a dating sim where you get to choose between various M:Em characters. It goes pretty much how you'd expect, complete with full scale artwork of various dating schemes gone awry to replace the tawdry pin-up shots that usually infest such games.

Quote:
Sava: Thanks, I had a great time.

Protag: This blood is never going to come out.

Sava: It looks good on you.

*Fade out to picture of Sava with her back to the sunset, axe over one shoulder, surrounded by the bodies of her enemies, smirking*

Quote:
Pendulum: This one noted more running and screaming during the theatrical performance than initially anticipated.

Protag: They were just being jerks.

Pendulum: Perhaps. This one was still impressed by their highly accurate portrayal of fear.

Protag: Next time I'm skipping the backstage passes.

*Fade to picture of Pendulum falling out of a costume closet, tangled in satin costumes and feathered boas. The cast flees in terror around him.*

Quote:
Ishna: That was beautiful! Fes ra meldanis.

Protag: What.

Ishna: You mortals always have the best festivals! I really should attend more.

Ishna: Res mal festarim. Thank you so much.

*Fade to picture of the San-Ku-Nin standing in the middle of a torrential, three-colored firestorm. Around them, buildings are consumed and humans engage in acts of revelry. Dark shapes loom in the flames, and no one mask sits squarely in the center of their massive, obsidian body.*

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 am 

The Weight of a Soul (29-03-2017)

New update. This extends the playable content to about two-thirds of the way through Day Two. There isn't really much I can say apart from that without spoiling anything -- as always, comments and criticism appreciated.

On a side note, I'm never going to write another dialogue tree again after finishing this project. I mean it. Visual-novel-style storytelling only from now on. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm 

On a side note, I'm never going to write another dialogue tree again after finishing this project. I mean it. Visual-novel-style storytelling only from now on. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Quoted for truth.

I started teaching myself Ren'Py by writing a single scene with a grand total of three branching dialog choice points, and, Goddamn, does that complicate things faster than you think. I shudder to imagine the dialog forest you're in. :takei:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:29 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am 

CKY, that's REALLY cool! That's a better write-up than most games with a marketing budget in six-figures can get. :)

One day, I'm going to be telling people that I knew you when. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:42 am 

The Weight of a Soul (27-04-2017)

Progress is going slowly. I suppose it's an adage of game design that however long you think something will take to implement, it's going to take three times as long. It's a disheartening trend -- but what the hell, it's not like I'm not going to stop now.

This build fully implements all the puzzles in the Shanty Quarter and ties together the plot threads in Day Two. It ends after you solve the puzzle with the bouncer, and it's possible to do this very early in the day because it's non-linear, so make sure you do everything else first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:43 pm 

The Weight of a Soul (28-04-2017)

I forgot to update the online build. Oops. It's actually a new build now.

Happily, this means that today's (rather significant) content update has been rolled into yesterday's build. The entire investigation arc is now finished, meaning the game is playable up to discovering every single clue in Day Two. You'll know you've reached the end when you've gotten past both the bouncer and the landlord, and your journal reads "Report back to Doctor Cavala's clinic."

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:10 pm 

Artwork by Shanflower, a good friend of mine, and an amazing graphic designer who you should totally check out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 pm 

That looks amazing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:38 pm 

CKY, I have two questions for you:

1) How are you so good at everything?

2) Can I be your friend?

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:46 pm 

1) High standards, hard work, and a commitment to improve. I also sacrifice a boar to the almighty Storm Crow every fortnight (may his caw come swiftly and may we be found worthy).

2) You're already my friend, you dingus you. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 pm 

High standards, hard work, and a commitment to improve. I also sacrifice a boar to the almighty Storm Crow every fortnight (may his caw come swiftly and may we be found worthy).

So THAT'S the trick!

I was doing the boar thing, but I forgot the hard work part. :D
You're already my friend, you dingus you.

I am nothing if not a dingus. :)

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next