It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:27 am 

Dudibus is the late Champion of Zeal (not dead, but just not on time). Which high-performing contestant will grab the last remaining spot as the Champion of Strength?

Eligible Contestants:
  • Confused: Solidarity, Knowledge, Zeal
  • Edacade: Solidarity
  • SimicMimic: Knowledge, Zeal
  • AzureShade: Ambition
  • Yarium: Ambition

ROUND FIVE: The Trial of Strength
Criterion: Design a creature whose (power + toughness) / 2 > converted mana cost.

Designs will be judged based on the following criteria:
1. Balance - no need to be overpowered or underpowered
2. Elegance - keep complexity to a minimum
3. Creativity - try to think outside the box
4. Flavor - please try to design within the confounds of Amonkhet
5. Playability - is this playable in limited, constructed, modern, etc.

Please include rarity and flavor text, where it makes sense.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Initiate of Strength
Creature-Human Warrior (Uncommon)
Initiate of Strength enters the battlefield with four -1/-1 counters on it.
Initiate of Strength can't attack or block as long as it has a -1/-1 counter on it.
Those who overcome their disabilities are truly strong.
6/6

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 pm 

Did you intend that to be "a green creature", or do we have free reign on colors this time? Either way, I'm going to stick with green, since green does big the best (although I will note that memnite fits this criteria... which is kinda funny to me).

Sated Beast |
[Creature - Cat] (U)
When Sated Beast attacks, exert it unless it has a -1/-1 counter on it.
Few things are more restful than a cat that has eaten its fill
5/5

Last edited by SimicMimic on Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am 

workspace

Luxan Serpent |
Creature - Snake (U)
You may exert Luxan Serpent as it attacks. When you do, whenever you tap a permanent for mana this turn, add one mana to your mana pool of any type that permanent produced.
The Luxa is the source of life, and that life will fight to protect it.
6/5

Last edited by Yarium on Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 am 

Lurking Fenmaw
Creature – Crocodile
You may have Lurking Fenmaw deal half of its combat damage to a creature that was tapped since the end of your last turn. (Always round down.)
”Pace yourself through the Trial of Strength. Those who exert themselves often find a bed of teeth awaits.” – Ameen, initiate of Taho crop
8/5

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm 

Is this a trial for the strong or the timid? Average P/T must exceed mana cost? Pah! I will show you power as it is deemed by a god!

Unchallenged Champion
Creature - (U)
Hexproof
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.
4/4
"Let all who would stand against me do so."

Suck on that creatureless control.

Azureshade you may want to mention when your card's ability activates.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm 

Prowling Opportunist -
Creature - Cat (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it fight another target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
A moment's weakness means death.
3/3

I kinda like this but feels it is a bit too plain. Sooo... ...

Prowling Opportunist -
Creature - Cat (U)
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, it fights another target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it. If it can't, return it to it's owner's hand.
Cycling
A moment's weakness means death.
3/3

Changed the colored cost, seems broken in limited with the green monument in play at .

Last edited by Confused on Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Is it not self evident that it happens when the creature assigns combat damage? I'm not sure what kind of wording would make that clearer.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:37 am 

AzureShade wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
Is it not self evident that it happens when the creature assigns combat damage? I'm not sure what kind of wording would make that clearer.

Ah, I missed that it dealt its combat damage that way. I thought it just dealt "damage" to things at some point. Thorn elemental says you have the right of it.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:00 am 

I think we're all in now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 pm 

This contest is closed. Grading to begin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm 

Heh, wanted to edit again but oh well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 pm 

Feel free to edit. I'll be grading this after work tomorrow EST.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:54 am 

And he was never heard from again.....*spooky music*

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 pm 

This is a serious submission.

Giant Beast
Creature - Beast Giant - R
7/6

Dwarven Vow #7

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
And he was never heard from again.....*spooky music*

All we are is dust in the wind. :rimshot:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:24 pm 

Fell asleep around 7 PM EST yesterday. Will grade today after work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 pm 

The Trial of Strength:
  • Edacade - Initiate of Strength: This guy is impressive using the vanilla test. Reading the first line of text, a 2/2 for is still passable. The third line of text makes this card feel more underwhelming, particularly being unable to turn its on without some support. As a build-around-me card: this has Defiant Greatmaw, Decimator Beetle, Hapatra's Mark, Quarry Hauler, and Shed Weakness. There are probably more, but that's a solid list. I could see some aggressive Hapatra's Mark / Shed Weakness deck in standard that features this guy. Good design.
  • SimicMimic - Sated Beast: I like the flavor of this card and the unconventional use of exert. Ceiling: This deals 5 damage on turn 3 and five more damage on turn 5. This is 2.5 damage spread between four turns (essentially a 3 power creature for . Definitely not over the curve, but it's quite likable. Plus, you can put a single -1/-1 counter on it and have a 4/4 that doesn't exert itself. Floor: You are blocked on turn 3, it is then immediately destroyed by deathtouch or combat tricks or removal. Still, they are using a card to do it. I quite like this design. It feels very fair.
  • Yarium - Luxan Serpent: A non-blue serpent, color me intrigued. I'm not a huge fan of the wording of this card. It comes across as very inelegant. Also, the power and toughness + ability are relatively unrelated. In fact, a 6/5 for with an often relevant ability is certainly above the curve for an uncommon. The extra point of power goes a long way.
  • AzureShade - Lurking Fenmaw: I like the concept of this design - a green creature that can deal some of its combat damage to a tapped creature. Reminds me a bit of provoke. I don't like the wording "that was tapped since the end of your last turn." Essentially, this can be achieved by saying "You may have Lurking Fenmaw deal half of its combat damage to target exerted creature." Or, even better yet, "If Lurking Fenmaw would deal combat damage, you may have it deal half of that damage to another target exerted creature instead." The current wording would benefit from either a triggered event or a replacement effect. Also, I think it's important to make it target.
  • Confused - Prowling Opportunist: At first glance, this card seems like a hodgepodge of unrelated abilities. Then you start to look at it and realize that unsuccessful flashes open up the opportunity for you to cycle it for a better card. In the event that you never have the opportunity to successfully land this creature, you can also cycle it too. Nice interaction, but I'm not convinced the gimmick is quite worth the card. It reminds me of Greenbelt Rampager. The major difference is that successive casts (as well as other energy-producing cards) actually contribute to the ability to land the elephant. Also, I'm not convinced that the "If it can't" wording is legitimate when referring to a creature and its ability to situationally fight. The only context where I see this type of language used involves the player via "if you can't".

The Champion:
SimicMimic with Sated Beast. This was a tough decision between two designs, but yours edged the other out by a slight margin.

Runner-Up:
Edacade with Initiate of Strength. It was a very hard decision. As a player, this type of card really appeals to me - but I think it needs to be able to block at the least. Wish you the best in future contests!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:11 pm 

Will begin the final round tomorrow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 pm 

I thought about calling out exerted creatures, but that felt parasitic and the wording I used opened up options outside of the block.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next