It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are you still enjoying the Duel's Meta?
Yes. Best season yet. 51%  51%  [ 29 ]
Yes. I did prefer a previous season though. 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
No. Preferred "X" season. 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
No. I've stopped playing. 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 57
Total voters : 57
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 am 

In other news, after years and years, 64/2 just became my favorite poster. Sorry Stevo.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 am 

Location: Florida Rehabilitation Center for Banjo-related Issues (FloRCBI)
divinevert wrote:
Alot of variable decks is a good thing. Figuring out what beats what, what the tourney scene will look like, what beats that, etc. is the best part about being a deck builder. And as more cards enter, builds get refined, variations occur, older cards gain or lose strength based on new synergies, and you end up with dozens of different decks for the meta.

This is so true. I feel like I have become a far stronger deckbuilder just during the couple of weeks I have been looking at Kaladesh from the perspective of Duels rather than Standard play. More considerations means this game feels more like extended formats (like Modern) without the pain of trying to comb through all of the possible synergies for just the "best" cards. All in all it means the game becomes far more useful for beginners as a whole while still maintaining an interest level among more experienced Magic players like myself.

Also, I really can't wait to see what the Steam Showdown deck series looks like. I have to imagine it will be just as diverse as EMN if not more so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 am 

I'm honestly really enjoy this season. More planeswlakers means pw.dec is just so much better! Also, there are so many more answers for planeswalkers, and there's so much variety in the meta. I'm just reveling in, and relishing all of the fun!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:18 am 

I'm just kind of bored that my only Kaladesh deck that is performing is mono-red. Even I get bored of it, although it it does pull off some very satisfying wins. The few times I tried other decks at the 30 something ranks, I kept facing counter heavy control decks that stomped me flat and I just lost a bunch of ranks... So out came mono Red again to beat on Thopters and vehicles...
Actually, in the aggro vs aggro match-ups its mostly about who's on the play, so that's not all that exciting either.
I suspect the meta diversity people are talking about is due to the vs quests. If you want to farm the quests, you're going to have to play an energy/vehicle/Artifact deck of some sort in the ladder and I guess those are the decks we keep seeing. That and playing AI is a joke this season.
Oh well...
Still looking for a rewarding alternate to mono-red aggro that is off-beat, but competitive. Maybe I can tune Reanimator or alchemist burn, but those have been too irregular so far.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:38 am 

Identity: The Slie Devyl
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm Dude
Constant disconnecters is a huge detraction for me. Rank doesn't do anything why are you dropping before the game at rank ~20?... also aggro is boring.

Not happy this season, playing more than before though cause it's the only game I like enough that i can play on the bus.

-Slie

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:00 am 

Meh, I would rather have a less diverse meta to a diverse meta where games are pretty much always decided by who is on the play or who has the most busted opening.
Games just aren't very fun and rarely are always decided before turn 5 now.
Last meta wasn't like this, it had a great equilibrium of slower and fast decks, right now I just face vampires, white weenies, rb or rw vehicle/artifact based aggro, esper control or UR mill. It's just not fun and it's also very hard to find a deck that performs decently against all of these.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 am 

sixty4half wrote:
Is this the thread where control players go to complain about an agro meta with a dozen or so viable decks so that they can't fine tune their control decks to counter the entire meta so they're losing a lot more often then their formerly claimed 20-3 records (i made that number off the top of my head, I'm not purposefully calling anyone out who has formerly said they won 20-3 with X deck)?

/facetiousness

I like control, don't get me wrong. But I also like agro, mill, midrange ect ect. So we can't pub stomp the lobbies on the way to 40. It makes it more exciting to me. I find it fun to not know what my opponent is playing.

Nailed it.

Even though I'm not wild about the Kaladesh theme.. I'm digging this season. Brewing/tweaking is my biggest joy in the game, and the brewing/tweaking seems endless in this card pool. Cuts are harder than ever to make, even some of the "auto includes" are being challenged for spots. Look at LVD's latest video.. a strong Bant deck that doesn't include Tireless Tracker, either Jace, Gideon or lololololTamiyo! Impossibru!

As far as the meta goes.. I like it. Yeah, you get hard-countered from time to time.. but so what. It's like being at the early stages of a paper tournament. Last night I was climbing to 40 with my Rakdos burn deck and run up on some type of Sultan goodstuff thing that played Pulse of Murasa and Essence Extraction.. so yeah, I got hard countered. Big whoop. I believe that the thing to do in this meta is just.. don't give a F. Build a deck that does it's thing.. and let the cards fall where they may. There might not be anymore 90% win decks.. and for F's sake, that's a good thing.

I said it before.. I'll say it again.. play what you want. If you know what you're doing, and build it to be competitive.. it likely will be. The only "musts" IMO are instant speed interaction, and answers for Copter.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I'm really enjoying this season so far. The meta can't be "too diverse" for me; I like seeing a variety of decks. I get bored when I see slight variations of the same 3 decks over and over.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am 

sixty4half wrote:
Is this the thread where control players go to complain about an agro meta with a dozen or so viable decks so that they can't fine tune their control decks to counter the entire meta so they're losing a lot more often then their formerly claimed 20-3 records (i made that number off the top of my head, I'm not purposefully calling anyone out who has formerly said they won 20-3 with X deck)?

/facetiousness

I like control, don't get me wrong. But I also like agro, mill, midrange ect ect. So we can't pub stomp the lobbies on the way to 40. It makes it more exciting to me. I find it fun to not know what my opponent is playing.

Nailed it.

Even though I'm not wild about the Kaladesh theme.. I'm digging this season. Brewing/tweaking is my biggest joy in the game, and the brewing/tweaking seems endless in this card pool. Cuts are harder than ever to make, even some of the "auto includes" are being challenged for spots. Look at LVD's latest video.. a strong Bant deck that doesn't include Tireless Tracker, either Jace, Gideon or lololololTamiyo! Impossibru!

As far as the meta goes.. I like it. Yeah, you get hard-countered from time to time.. but so what. It's like being at the early stages of a paper tournament. Last night I was climbing to 40 with my Rakdos burn deck and run up on some type of Sultan goodstuff thing that played Pulse of Murasa and Essence Extraction.. so yeah, I got hard countered. Big whoop. I believe that the thing to do in this meta is just.. don't give a F. Build a deck that does it's thing.. and let the cards fall where they may. There might not be anymore 90% win decks.. and for F's sake, that's a good thing.

I said it before.. I'll say it again.. play what you want. If you know what you're doing, and build it to be competitive.. it likely will be. The only "musts" IMO are instant speed interaction, and answers for Copter.

Oops yeah Bant should have Tamiyo. Thumbs up for this, there is no master deck now woohoo!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am 

I'm really enjoying this season so far. The meta can't be "too diverse" for me; I like seeing a variety of decks. I get bored when I see slight variations of the same 3 decks over and over.

Agreed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm 

If you can't secure wins consistently with mid-range or control in a supposedly aggro-prevalent meta, it means there're more than just aggro in the current meta. Aggro is not unstoppable. What you're complaining is you can't prepare for anything anymore i.e. playing anti-aggro decks against esper control.

I think KLD has done one thing many people in Duels wished: curbing the power of goodstuff/planeswalker decks. (Even if doing that by boosting aggro may not be an ideal method.) Now you control players get to know how people feel in last 2 seasons.

That said, I agree KLD doesn't have much to talk about. All the cards are too obvious: the good, the bad and the combo. A few promising broken cards in the set, we didn't get them in Duels.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:39 pm 

In other news, after years and years, 64/2 just became my favorite poster. Sorry Stevo.

ugh if I was 64/2, i'd feel terrible hearing this. If someone's favourite poster was Stevo and THEN changed it to me, I'd be really worried since that means this person values diharrea for brains as a quality.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:49 pm 

If you can't secure wins consistently with mid-range or control in a supposedly aggro-prevalent meta, it means there're more than just aggro in the current meta.

Or it means you're a piss poor pilot, who's prone to many mental missteps.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:51 pm 

The lack of any consistency just makes playing feel too much like a crap-shoot atm (of course they run Tainted Remedy in a 100 card stack the ONE FRICKIN' GAME I PLAY ORZHOV LIFEGAIN!!!). The Meta feels a bit too diverse for me, and that lack of consistency removes much of the calculation and learning of matchups I enjoyed in EMN.

Funny. That's exactly how I felt about last season, and it's the opposite of how I'm feeling about this season.

RPG characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:31 pm 

Talk's kinda died down a bit, and in a lull until Kryder boots up the hype wagon for another spin, I figured I'd gather a general consensus on NGA's feelings about the game.

I personally haven't bothered booting up since the weekend. It's been so frustrating and tedious for me that I've gotten a bit bored of seeing the 17th flavor of aggro deck in a row, or a 5 colour ally deck, etc etc. The lack of any consistency just makes playing feel too much like a crap-shoot atm (of course they run Tainted Remedy in a 100 card stack the ONE FRICKIN' GAME I PLAY ORZHOV LIFEGAIN!!!). The Meta feels a bit too diverse for me, and that lack of consistency removes much of the calculation and learning of matchups I enjoyed in EMN. Trying other's builds hasn't improved this much either, and it's surprising to me how samey certain archetypes feel to another using different colours. Meh. Bring on Aether Revolt!

What I read is that you played a slow deck that let a 100 card deck beat you to do what it takes to win. I mean, I've lost to 100 card decks before, but
I have always known why I lost. Sometimes 100 card decks draw the nuts somehow, sometimes my decks made of bad cards fold. Rarely have I played a decent deck and been getrekt.exe for more than a single game (except those times a deck loses to itself). If your deck loses to a diverse meta, it sounds like you tried to make something work that doesn't than it sounds like something failed.

If you think that orzhov lifegain is whats up, then play it more than 1 game. Personally, I would bet that orzhoz lifegain lost ground this update because it was tier 1.5 at best before kaladesh. Trying to force an archetype that isn't there doesn't seem good, trying a new/changed meta archetype takes far more than 1 game to figure out if it sucks or otherwise.

If your deck can't beat 50% of what is viable it doesn't deserve rank 40. You need to depend on your own consistency than the consistency of your opponents. The words "Meta feels a bit too diverse for me" mean that your decks lack adaptability or consistency. I adjust my plays regularly depending on play/draw and the opponent's initial land drops. I'd say that 75% it aids me in the game and adds about 5-10% to wins overall or I just play to ignore what the other person does enough to win.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:46 pm 

Duke wrote:
Talk's kinda died down a bit, and in a lull until Kryder boots up the hype wagon for another spin, I figured I'd gather a general consensus on NGA's feelings about the game.

I personally haven't bothered booting up since the weekend. It's been so frustrating and tedious for me that I've gotten a bit bored of seeing the 17th flavor of aggro deck in a row, or a 5 colour ally deck, etc etc. The lack of any consistency just makes playing feel too much like a crap-shoot atm (of course they run Tainted Remedy in a 100 card stack the ONE FRICKIN' GAME I PLAY ORZHOV LIFEGAIN!!!). The Meta feels a bit too diverse for me, and that lack of consistency removes much of the calculation and learning of matchups I enjoyed in EMN. Trying other's builds hasn't improved this much either, and it's surprising to me how samey certain archetypes feel to another using different colours. Meh. Bring on Aether Revolt!

What I read is that you played a slow deck that let a 100 card deck beat you to do what it takes to win. I mean, I've lost to 100 card decks before, but
I have always known why I lost. Sometimes 100 card decks draw the nuts somehow, sometimes my decks made of bad cards fold. Rarely have I played a decent deck and been getrekt.exe for more than a single game (except those times a deck loses to itself). If your deck loses to a diverse meta, it sounds like you tried to make something work that doesn't than it sounds like something failed.

If you think that orzhov lifegain is whats up, then play it more than 1 game. Personally, I would bet that orzhoz lifegain lost ground this update because it was tier 1.5 at best before kaladesh. Trying to force an archetype that isn't there doesn't seem good, trying a new/changed meta archetype takes far more than 1 game to figure out if it sucks or otherwise.

If your deck can't beat 50% of what is viable it doesn't deserve rank 40. You need to depend on your own consistency than the consistency of your opponents. The words "Meta feels a bit too diverse for me" mean that your decks lack adaptability or consistency. I adjust my plays regularly depending on play/draw and the opponent's initial land drops. I'd say that 75% it aids me in the game and adds about 5-10% to wins overall or I just play to ignore what the other person does enough to win.

You're seriously lecturing one of the better players here. Really?

Warning to new people: Disregard me entirely and probably everything I post unless I tell you you're being a cockrhino or dickephant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:02 am 

You're seriously lecturing one of the better players here. Really?

Oh get out of here. BBB isn't beyond us mere mortals or anything, solid game talk is healthy.

I think what beast said in this topic sums up what a great playing field this season presents.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:39 am 

GoA is wrong, but I'm flattered. :p

However Duke's comment barks so far up the wrong tree it's laughable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:01 am 

I'm not saying you're top 5 or anything, but the upper 50%. Point is you probably don't need a lecture from a random.

Warning to new people: Disregard me entirely and probably everything I post unless I tell you you're being a cockrhino or dickephant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:21 am 

divinevert wrote:
Alot of variable decks is a good thing. Figuring out what beats what, what the tourney scene will look like, what beats that, etc. is the best part about being a deck builder. And as more cards enter, builds get refined, variations occur, older cards gain or lose strength based on new synergies, and you end up with dozens of different decks for the meta.

This.

The increase in threats will be a true test for deckbuilders for the next tournament. I'm already set :party:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next