It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:16 am 

I'd be a lot more welcome if I had Kozilek. As it is I don't even have Chandra or Kozilek's Return, so I'm running a gimped version as is.

Warning to new people: Disregard me entirely and probably everything I post unless I tell you you're being a cockrhino or dickephant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 pm 

Is there a reason this doesn't have a 2nd Wastes and Kozilek? It seems like the hand refill and the ability to counter people countering your kill spell, especially in 2HG, is pretty good. Maybe even better than Ulamog for this deck.

I had thought about Kozilek but I went for Ulamog for a couple of reasons. While both will trigger Kozilek's Return when it is in the graveyard, Ulamog will then allow me to exile anything extra that an opponent might need, be it land, enchantments etc. This deck can come close to self milling and I prefer not to put myself in a situation where I might do that to myself or make it much easier for my opponent to do it to me.
As for countering a counterspell, I've found by the time I'm in a position to make a kill play with Geistblast, they need two counterspells in hand and sufficient untapped lands to cast them, which I think is less likely.

That being said, I haven't tested that set up yet so it's definitely worth a look. If I had a sideboard, it would be in there, along with Spatial Contortion

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:19 pm 

I was playing in 2HG yesterday and had to play around someone with a mill/counter deck, only ended up winning because his partner was trying to win by damage and he countered a Pulse of Murasa from my partner and tapped out. I sat there half the game wishing I could do anything at all about his counters. Normally a Vintage combo deck is just too fast for counters to stop, or Storms past them. We don't have that here.

Warning to new people: Disregard me entirely and probably everything I post unless I tell you you're being a cockrhino or dickephant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:02 am 

Goggles Ramp.......Geist Ramp???

Two top 8 pro tour players were also thinking what I was thinking.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 am 

Goggles Ramp.......Geist Ramp???

Two top 8 pro tour players were also thinking what I was thinking.

Stop publicly patting yourself on the back.. it's bad form, and takes away from cool deck you've made here.

I still haven't gotten to try this.. damn school and work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 pm 

Updated the original post based on feedback and playtesting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:05 am 

Here are some of my play by plays. Next time I will have video to back it up.

G G U U Wilds Jace Part
T1: Wilds
T2: Jace
T3: Pilgrimage
T4: Explosive + Wilds
T5: Part
T6: Pages > Journal > Axe
T7: -Jace > Pages > Ruin > "big" Jace
T8: Chandra > Vegetation
T9: Warden > -Chandra > Warden=Chandra
T10: Journal=Geist > 0Chandra
T11: Thunder=10 + Geist= GAME

G Wilds Axe Time Pilgrimage Pages Renewal
T1: Wilds=U
T2: G > Time=Geist + G
T3: G > Pilgrimage
T4: G > Pilgrimage
T5: R > Renewal=UUR (Axe=Geist)
T6: G > Pages=Time,G,Explosive >
T7: (forgot to take notes here)
T8: Thunder=10 + Geist = Game

G Wilds Jace Warden Axe Time Geist
T1: Wilds=U
T2: G > Jace
T3: Ruin=R > R > Axe=Geist > Jace=G > +
T4: U > Vegetation=UR > +Jace
T5: Explosive=RG > Time=Part,Axe,Chandra
T6: Pilgrimage > G > -3Chandra > +Jace
T7: -Jace=Explosive=UU > Warden=Wilds=R >
0Chandra(GG Part > Geist Thunder Ruin Pages)
Warden=Part (on the opponents turn)
T8: Part + Geist
T9: Pages > Ruin > Ruin > Pages > Time
T10: Thunder=10 + Geist + 6/6 lands...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:51 pm 

THis deck looks awesome going to play it when I get home.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm 

Funny that it has been exactly a month since my last post... I haven't spent this whole time playing Temur geist ramp but I thought I would post my list here:

Geist Ramp
Spoiler

This list is generally tuned to do the best vs midrange, but it has tricks that are applicable in every matchup.
There is an absurd amount of draw power which glues the deck together and reduces variance.

Ramp:

3 x nissa's pilgrimage
4 x explosive vegetation
2 x nissa's renewal

Draw/discard:

1 x jace, vryn's prodigy
2 x nagging thoughts
4 x pieces of the puzzle
3 x pore over the pages
1 x roiling waters
1 x chandra, flamecaller

Discard/mill targets:

3 x geistblast
2 x drownyard temple
2 x nagging thoughts

Board clears:

2 x thing in the ice
2 x radiant flames
1 x crush of tentacles
1 x chandra, flamecaller

Multi target spells / defense

3 x rolling thunder
1 x roiling waters

Win conditions:

2 x lumbering falls
2 x thing in the ice
3 x rolling thunder
1 x crush of tentacles
1 x chandra, flamecaller
1 x greenwarden of murasa
1 x part the waterveil

Utility:
1 x greenwarden of murasa
3 x geistblast
1 x jace, vryn's prodigy

Basically every card in the deck ramps, draws cards, or plays a defensive role. The focus is on staying alive while you ramp. Once you are ramped up, you can chain together draw effects and win through a powerful win condition or simply overwhelm your opponent with the number of cards you draw.

With 26 sorceries, pieces of the puzzle is absurdly good here. On average, it should give you about 2.2 sorceries to pick from. In the early game, this will help if you can't find enough ramp spells. In the later game, it will find you more board interaction.

Nagging thoughts was one of my latest additions to the deck, it helps you find land/ramp in the early game, it cheaply triggers TiTi and tentacles, it is another puzzle piece, and it has excellent synergy with pour over. Telling Time is generally better but the synergy here is real.

Roiling Waters is a horrible card that I only added when I realized that this deck is an ideal scenario for this card. I can't imagine using this card in any other decks. But it checks a bunch of boxes: it is a sorcery, it interacts with the board and hits multiple targets, and it helps to refill your hand with more gas. It should be 6 mana and instant speed... but the high mana cost is quite affordable for this deck, and being a sorcery is a plus.

Give it a try!

Edit: after more playtesting I feel more color fixing is needed.
-1 nagging thoughts
-1 roiling waters
+2 evolving wilds

Edit2: I can't count, 26 sorceries not 22

Last edited by HenWen on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:31 am 

Why not rise from the tides?

22 sorceries... tempting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 am 

i hate that the zombies come in tapped with that card. I often need to cast it when facing lethal and it doesn't do jack.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:57 am 

Yes if the zombies were untapped I would probably run 2+ copies. The thing is this deck is usually facing a hostile board, and when you take turns off to ramp and draw cards I want an immediate impact from the cards that do board interaction.

I miscounted. The deck has 26 sorceries, 2.1667 sorceries on average when you use pieces of the puzzle.

Thorcas if you liked my pieces of the puzzle reanimator you will like this deck. This one is absolutely more consistent and powerful... and hard to interact with. It sucked setting up a big reanimation play only to have your big dudes eat removal. That doesn't happen here, you ramp big and fast and most decks can't defend against the rolling thunder + geistblast combo.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:22 am 

I actually... like it.

Let's give it a try (with and without zombies...)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 am 

One question... don't you think there are too few red sources to have double red cards in there?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:20 am 

Will keep trying but... three matches so far (2 x white weenies, prowess) and three losses.

One game the thinghie did some work but no time to board wipe, the other two no thing and no flames... loss.

All three matches I had to explosive vegetation to get red mana. The fact is our board wipers are too slow for this kind of opponents.

Maybe I misplayed but I doubt, it was too fast and no answers in my hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am 

You only need 15 sources of Red to cast Chranda on curve. That can be tough because I think this deck does not use wilds. But with all the draw and ramp, you shouldn't have a problem.

And this deck will always have a rough time against aggro.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:38 pm 

Re: the red sources- the deck has 3 mountain, 2 evolving wilds, 4 explosive vegetation and 2 nissa's renewal.

I am pondering adding Ruin in their Wake - but not any ruins. It will fix but not help us ramp. Probably a straight swap for the two nagging thoughts.

Because of the self mill and the need for intense mana ramping this deck cannot afford to run too many non-basic lands. You want to be able to ramp up to a 20 damage fireball, which requires for the base cost of Rolling Thunder plus for Geistblast plus for a 10 point fireball plus a copy for exactly lethal. If you can figure out a way to improve the mana that would be great, but I am unwilling to go below the 18 basic lands currently in the deck. You could add another 6-8 non-basic lands to improve reliability but that would make ramping impractical.

Thorcas - the aggro matchup is terrible and this is pretty much by design. This is very much a meta deck and I do not see very much aggro on Steam. I do not think I have ever played 3 games in a row against aggro.

Making changes to improve the aggro matchup would alter the deck so fundamentally it wouldn't be the same. I like adding good defensive creatures like Lambholt Pacifist and Tireless Tracker in a shell. This gives you a ramp deck good against aggro, but it is no longer geistramp.

I have been lucky enough to get matched against mostly midrange, combo, mill, control decks etc. You are favored against most of the field, but the aggro matchup is bad.

I am interested in feedback. Thorcas you were right about my reanimator deck, the 7/6 guy is better than Revenge. Maybe you will have good advice here.
The mana base is important and I am open to changes there as well... I am not sure how to optimize it math wise since the draw spells and ramp spells complicate things.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:13 am 

Well, I had no more time to play but keep in mind that I was playing right now at 30 level so maybe in that zone aggro is more common.

About Ruin in their Wake maybe you can consider Vessel of volatility instead for... exoticism?

Not a very useful card but I don't know if it's strictly worse than Ruin (but Ruin will fuel my zombies... hum).

Maybe a Brain in a Jar? It solves the tapped zombies issue but I'm not sure how will it work with rolling thunder. Mos of the time you can ramp + fill the jar the same turn...

One card that can help filling our hand and start the countdown for the opponent is Fevered Visions.

The thing with the mana base is that pieces of the puzzle ends many times with some lands in the graveyard. Maybe some raw draw as with visions can help.

Keep in mind that if you run 26 sorceries you will end with the useful one in your hand anyway (or a badly needed land!). And with visions with the added benefit of pressing your opponent.

Zombies did not showed up so I can't say if they work, will do some more testing this afternoon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 am 

Brain in a Jar: "If the card has {X} in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as the value of X." :-(

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:01 am 

Been playing your deck a lot HenWen, and I'm going to try cutting under performing cards for something else

-2 nagging thoughts
-1 Rolling waters
-1 Greenwarden of murasa
- 1 Jace
-1 Pieces of the puzzle T__T

+3 Jaddi offshoot
+ 2 disperse
+1 displacement wave

Hopefully gain a little more life early on, if it doesn't work I'll probably just replace offshoots with more bounce, or telling time

Like this post