It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:58 pm 

I believe that during the Mirage Block (Mirage, Visions, and Weatherlight), the Weatherlight never actually left Dominaria. It just kind of flew around to the various places the story was set, assembling the crew. This is the part of the story that MaRo would have been around for. After Sisay get's abducted the original plan was for the crew to pick up Ertai from Tolaria so that he could use the link between Crovax and Selenia to portal the Weatherlight to Rath.....at least I think.

Anyway, MaRo got booted from the story around the end of Weatherlight and a bunch of stuff got changed. Maybe that's one of those things that was changed to help tie in the story to the Urza's Block, and later Mercadia.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:32 pm 

I thought he said the plot was still the same from his draft until we get to Exodus. Perhaps this was one of the few things that did get altered earlier.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:29 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
They could have planned the ship to use some sort of Planar Gate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 pm 

From MaRo's article today about the Tempest block:

Quote:
Factoid #17: Jinxed Idol Was Originally Part of a Block Cycle
The original plan for the Jinxed trilogy was that they would all do negative things to the controller and you could sacrifice a creature to give it to an opponent. The three were designed such that if you gave all three to a player at the same time, they would kill that opponent. The items had been built into the story. Unfortunately, between Stronghold and Exodus, I got kicked off doing the story…and the Jinxed component got dropped, so the third Jinxed card was removed from Exodus.

Quote:
Factoid #20: A Story Point in the Art Almost Everyone Misses
This is the card Watchdog. Now while I'm happy with its design, I want to talk about something that I've found almost everyone misses. Look closely at the art. Do you see Tahngarth sneaking by the Watchdog? You see he jumped aboard the Predator as it was leaving after its attack on the Weatherlight and is now sneaking in to rescue Karn, Sisay, and Takara. He would later get caught but in this art he's actually being effective. I find that very few people ever notice Tahngarth.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 pm 

Nice. Is this quoted from Blogatog?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:49 pm 

No, from his normal article on the WotC site.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 pm 

Thanks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 am 

From MaRo's Tumblr today:

Quote:
psyllogism asked:
Hi Mark! Today is my 32nd birthday. I've been playing and following Magic for well over half my life now. If you've ever put a piece of trivia in print, I've probably read it. So for my birthday, I'm wondering if you have any rare or never-before-shared trivia, especially about anything in the era between Mirage and 8th Edition :). Thanks!

markrosewater said:
In the original version of the Weatherlight Saga, Volrath doesn’t come aboard the Weatherlight disguised as Takara (Starke’s daughter) but as Tahngarth. The others liked Tahngarth too much to have him missing for a large swath of the story.

Happy Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:40 am 

Makes sense. If he ever slipped up in his impersonation he could blame it on the torture/mutation Tahngarth was put through.

In other news: It's been 18 years and I still can't spell "Tahngarth" correctly in one go.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:37 am 

I'm pretty sure this nugget has been mentioned before, but logging it just in case:

Quote:
mandenmeddengulehat asked:

Hey Mark. Trying a last time or I will wait another year. My birthday was a week ago, any trivia on my favourite card Exploration, if not any trivia on one of the cards I remember the best from my childhood Ertai, the Corrupted?

markrosewater said:
In the original Weatherlight Saga story, Ertai never gets corrupted. Instead we meet him back on Dominaria as an old man. One day I’ll get to tell the original Weatherlight Saga and you can learn how that happened.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:21 am 

So apparently effects from the Original Weatherlight Saga were going to be a bit more far-reaching.

Quote:
theycallmejokke asked:
Greetings Mark, to day (27/10) is my birthday. I love all of white's kitty people whether they are from Mirrodin, Theros, or Alara so could I please have some birthday trivia on them?

markrosewater said:
Mirri (Gerard’s cat-warrior best friend) wasn’t originally going to die in Exodus. Her being injured played a major role in the Mercadian story (which was 99% different from the Mercadian story that was done).

Happy Birthday!

Last edited by AzureShade on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:25 am 

A percentage breakdown:

Quote:
disappointedreader asked:
Do any of the Weatherlight saga expansions accurately reflect your original story?

markrosewater said:
My and Mike’s story is 100% through Tempest, 90% through Stronghold and 70% through Exodus. Everything after that, with a few rare exceptions, is not our story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:13 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Mirri is a neat character, but her name is too close to mirrari and I always confuse them.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
Mirri is a neat character, but her name is too close to mirrari and I always confuse them.

It would have been awesome if everyone in Otaria had been fighting over Mirri.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
That would have been a real..............

CAT-tastrophe!

YES I FINALLY GOT TO USE IT I FINALLY GOT TO USE MY FAVORITE PUN

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
How...primitive.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 pm 

That would have been a real..............

CAT-tastrophe!

YES I FINALLY GOT TO USE IT I FINALLY GOT TO USE MY FAVORITE PUN

I'm proud of you!

It certainly would have explained the CATaclysm that happened...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm 

Identity: Male
What a CATegorically terrible possibility.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:07 pm 

The Cabal, The Order, the Cephalids, everyone would be lining up to pay their dues to the controller of Mirri.

Don't look

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 am 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
I feel I never get enough puns.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next