It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:18 pm 

One of the challenges of making a commerce based set with a gold counter mechanic was to create flavorful cards that fit the Trading theme whilst not relying too heavily on gold counters, and therefore has more outside applications. The Wager cycle is one such solution, where with each card you Wager something against your opponent and the winner gets the spell effect.

The Contest Aspect: I need help creating the white one. I will comment on any submissions received and hopefully choose one to go into the set.

Rules:
- Must be a White, Rare Sorcery
- The prerequisite to get the spell effect needs to be based off unknown information (as below, ie. top of deck, hand etc.) so the outcome of the Wager isn't revealed until the spell is resolved.
- Don't worry, you don't need to create a MSE card or get art for this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 pm 

Sure, why not.

Commander's Wager
Sorcery
Each player may reveal a creature card from their hand. Each player who revealed a card with the highest converted man cost puts X 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the revealed card's converted mana cost.

Not sure on cost, especially since it could let your opponent get an army if they won.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
I wish that these wagers were more of a mind game and less of a "whoever has the biggest card wins". I feel like Stronghold Gambit is a good example of where I want his cycle to be. I played around a lot with this design space awhile back, but mostly in black.

I'm still working on a white card, but a thought occurs to me that I'm going to leave here.

Tyrant's Spoils
Sorcery
Each player secretly chooses a number, then those numbers are revealed. Each player who choose the highest number loses life and draws cards equal to the sum of all numbers revealed in this way.
It isn't easy making it to the top

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 pm 

Do these work as intended in regards to hidden knowledge? Don't they currently have players reveal cards in order rather than simultaneously?

Either way a few notes: While Spellmaster's Wager seems not-competitive...I feel it's breakable enough to require at least a 6 CMC.
Summoner's Wager feels weird since it doesn't care about CMC...might be interesting if they dealt damage based on CMC instead...or maybe let a wake swimmer (lower CMC creature) etb for the highest bidder.
Prophet's Wager...awesome...just cool.

As for the contest:

Pacifist's Wager
Sorcery (R)
Each player chooses a card in their hand and then reveals the chosen card. The player who revealed the card with the lowest converted mana cost skips all combat phases of their next turn. If you revealed a card with a converted mana cost higher than 4, return Pacifist's Wager to your hand.

Last edited by POSValkir on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Wagering isn't really white's thing, but sure.

Peacemaker's Wager

Sorcery
Each player may reveal a card from his or her hand. Regenerate all creatures controlled by players who revealed a card with the highest converted mana cost. Then destroy all creatures with power greater than the converted mana cost of the card with the lowest converted mana cost.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:17 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Red one isn't really wagering like the others.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

So the hidden zones are just library and hand?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

Red one isn't really wagering like the others.

Yeah, that was my first reaction too.

The Green one strikes me as pretty awesome though. :)

I think that the cards need to clearly state that they're chosen in secret before being revealed though, because I'm not a rules expert and I don't know whether it would work that way or not...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 pm 

Thanks for the useful comments and suggestions guys.

Curious Heartless: I like this one, and making multiple tokens fits well into the set.

Dr Demento: Yes I see what you mean, and I could certainly go the direction of wagering things like life totals. I will certainly look into moving the cycle to be something more like your design, which I like very much. Would be interested to see your White design.

POSValkir: You make a very good point, I will reword the cards to make sure all decisions are made simultaneously. I actually didn't notice that all the other cards in the cycle cared about converted mana cost, and you're right, the Green one looks a little out of place. I might change it to care about CMC or change another to care about another feature of the card. I like the idea of your design but feel it could just lock out the opponent, if you had, say, Emrakul in hand, you could just continuously play the card until you reached 15 mana and then win.

Q is 564453: This is a really clever design, I just had to read it a few times to truly understand exactly what it does.

Popular Pariah: Do you mean because Exiling the top card of your library isn't any real cost? If so, I see what you mean. I'll look into it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:21 pm 

Banishers Wager W
Instant
Each player secretly notes the name of a nonland permanent on the battlefield, and then those notes are revealed. Choose the noted names with the lowest converted mana cost among noted names, and exile all permanent with those names.
Draw a card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:50 am 

Identity: Male
I'm not a fan of the blue one. Out of all the wagers it seems like the safest bet. Some decks will hardly have any instant or sorcery cards to reveal and since you already know what you'll reveal it's not much of a gamble. I'd prefer if the revealed cards were chosen at random.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post