It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] The Planeswalkers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

up to now, our focus has been on the war in Ossia. and that is, of course, important, to the insignificant beings living there. but larger things are at work, and the time has come to peer behind the curtain.

the story of Ossia is, perhaps, the story of Vella Voss. Vella is the sort of person who, given the unrivaled power of a planeswalker, visits new worlds and impersonates their trickster gods for fun. but that is not her purpose here. on Ossia, her goals are much more serious.

Vella visited Ossia first three decades ago, by chance. she spent a time amusing herself on Dragonroost stoking the local legends of Dragons in the volcano. as she stayed, she found herself fascinated by the story of the the Flood. she began to research the nature of the event, an impossible amount of water consuming an entire plane. what she found... well, that's a story for later, but it caused her to return five years later to begin sowing discord.

it was Vella who sent the first boats to Dragonroost, granting them access to the sea they had long dreamt of visiting. as time went by she sent more to the other Isles, slowly coaxing them to war from behind the scenes. the war effort grew, becoming an all-consuming event for the inhabitants of the archipelago and a convenient distraction for Vella Voss. she has worked in secret for over twenty years, searching for things only she knows in places only she dares look.

our second character is Ulrexes. last seen terrorizing Eldangard in an attempt to restore himself to life, Ulrexes is a dark and powerful lich, consumed by the singular desire to return himself to true life. it is that which Vella has promised him, bound inseparably to the secrets of the Ossian Flood. a deep and powerful magic caused the Flood, and that magic, properly harnessed, could break death's hold over the lichwalker forever.

over time, Ulrexes has grown desperate. many years have passed since the Eldangard events, and he is slipping fast. he fights to hold onto existence as best he can, at any cost. he is rotting away, and harnessing Ossia's latent magical forces may be his last chance.

Ulrexes and Vella have had many dealings in the past. neither is trusting or friendly by nature, but the two have proven useful to each other. Vella finds Ulrexes distasteful, while Ulrexes finds Vella frivolous, but both see the value in the other owing them a debt. one might even say the two are the closest thing each has to a friend, though if so it is a twisted friendship indeed. but at this point their goals are aligned, and Ossia is in their sights.

cards!

Vella Voss-
Planeswalker-Vella (M)
: Draw a card. Then, if you have four or more cards in hand, discard a card.
: Exchange control of two target nonland, non-Vella permanents.
: Each player shuffles their hand, their graveyard, and all non-Vella permanents they own into their library. Take an extra turn after this one.

Vella isn't one to be left behind. you can activate her ultimate and kill her if you want, but then you're left on even footing. maybe you can recover better than your opponent, or maybe you just have no choice. either way, though, if you wait one more turn, you're left with a powerful ally in the brave new world. the -3 is somewhat incidental, as a neat, flavorful thing Vella might do. sows chaos and such. it's also a useful secondary weapon once you reset, if you can get back up there. threats will be scarce, if you can steal their best ones in exchange for your crappy ones you'll be in a great position. but really once you reset she's just drawing a crapload for you. (remember when you reset, your hand starts out empty.) she gives you an extra turn because it seemed silly to let your opponent get first crack. note also that it doesn't affect exile, so like maybe something with Advisors? or Suspend? I don't know, work it out nerds.

Ulrexes, the Deathbound-
Planeswalker-Ulrexes (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card and remove a loyalty counter from Ulrexes.
: You lose 1 life.
As long as Ulrexes has 10 or more loyalty counters on it, you can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.

Ulrexes is at the edge of undeath. his power is fading fast. he clings to those around him with all his might, draining your lifeforce to sustain himself. he bribes you with knowledge as long as you feed him, and if you keep him happy enough he will grant you access to his necromantic powers to keep yourself alive. it's interesting to me to have a planeswalker with just one activated ability that still presents so many decisions. while it boils down to "do you +2?" there are a lot of concerns. can you keep him alive, with or without it? can you afford the life? should you go for the 10? anyway, the lack of options also helps capture the "he's totally dying you guys" feel, since at his peak Ulrexes did so many powerful things. now he's reduced to sucking away his allies' life to support his own.

guys.

guys.

guys.

guys.

GUYS.

Ossia is done. I'll be going through on one last pass to see if there's anything I want to fix, but CKY feel free to start adding it to the plug-in, and once that goes up I will start a playtest/prerelease. stay tuned!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

PS: yes I got FM's permission to use Ulrexes.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:38 pm 

Identity: Male
Both of these planeswalkers are great designs. Hats off to you, razorborne!

It's become something of a tradition for me to say this, so Fleets of Ossia will be added to the 1 May plugin.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm 

This set doesn't have anything playable in NGA, but that is a good thing. It is pretty damn cool. Those 'walkers are nice, although it is very hard to get Ulrexes to 10.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Both of these planeswalkers are great designs. Hats off to you, razorborne!

thanks! they've actually been basically complete for a while now but they were the final piece of the story so I kept them for last and kept tinkering with them. Vella went back and forth between the version above and one whose -3 could do any permanent but she started with 2 loyalty and her ultimate was -5, giving her like a mini-ultimate. I decided that the switch-my-land-for-your-6-drop version was less fun anyway so I went with the one that didn't use up the mini-ultimate space when it didn't need to, but people, mini-ultimate is a thing they haven't done yet.

Ulrexes's basic form was set from the beginning, in that he always had the first ability and a +2 that drained life. it started out as 2 life, but I decided 1 was enough since you also have to fight to keep him alive. he originally had a random throw-away ultimate (-10: target player's life total becomes 1.) that was just to give you something to do if he got big enough. FM rightly pointed out that it seemed kinda weak design and didn't really fit the character. then it became "-10: you get an emblem with "you can't lose as long as you control an Ulrexes planeswalker."" but I felt like the static ability did it better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

This set doesn't have anything playable in NGA, but that is a good thing. It is pretty damn cool. Those 'walkers are nice, although it is very hard to get Ulrexes to 10.

mono-red might want Argent Instigators, and someone might want Flitwing Spycraft, but yeah, the set wasn't balanced to play alongside Solphos and Taramir. it probably has some play in NGA Modern, a format I invented that's NGA Constructed but without Solphos or Taramir blocks or the NGA Masters sets.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 pm 

I really, really like Vella. Very nice design on her as a whole, the colors are well represented, and the ultimate is incredibly neat. Commendable. Just a little nitpick, the wording on her ultimate should be "Each player shuffles his or her hand, graveyard and all non-Vella permanent he or she owns into his or her library."

Must admit I'm not as thrilled by Ulrexes, though.

With all that said, completing a generally well-designed set is always a huge feat. What I really wanted here was that conga-rats smilie, but this will have to do.

:applause:

Congratulations, and good job!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Azhorium wrote:
I really, really like Vella. Very nice design on her as a whole, the colors are well represented, and the ultimate is incredibly neat. Commendable. Just a little nitpick, the wording on her ultimate should be "Each player shuffles his or her hand, graveyard and all non-Vella permanent he or she owns into his or her library."
razorborne is an advocate of the singular they and will use it wherever possible. I could cut it in front of graveyard, if that's your point, but "his or her" is silly when the singular they is right there.

Azhorium wrote:
Must admit I'm not as thrilled by Ulrexes, though.
sowwy

Azhorium wrote:
With all that said, completing a generally well-designed set is always a huge feat. What I really wanted here was that conga-rats smilie, but this will have to do.

:applause:

Congratulations, and good job!
thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 pm 

I didn't even know singular they was a thing. TIL

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:06 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Azhorium wrote:

:cry:

Cool walkers. I especially love Ulrexes. Making a walker with flavourful mechanic's is hard and this is without a doubt the most flavourful walker I have ever seen. Ajani, Mentor and Sarkhan the Mad had flavour that matched their name/story, and Syl and Chardis (from CKY's duel deck) told a bit of a story with their mechanic, but this one takes the cake. I don't need to know anything about Ulrexes to get what his deal is. His deal is on the card. 10 does seem a bit high though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:12 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Azhorium wrote:

:cry:

Cool walkers. I especially love Ulrexes. Making a walker with flavourful mechanic's is hard and this is without a doubt the most flavourful walker I have ever seen. Ajani, Mentor and Sarkhan the Mad had flavour that matched their name/story, and Syl and Chardis (from CKY's duel deck) told a bit of a story with their mechanic, but this one takes the cake. I don't need to know anything about Ulrexes to get what his deal is. His deal is on the card. 10 does seem a bit high though.

it's purposefully high to make it a hard decision whether to go for it or not. you have to commit, and it's also a three-drop and a phyrexian arena in the meantime so it's not like you're suffering while you wait. it's also a nice round number. I could drop it to 9 or even 8 maybe but I feel like the lost aesthetic isn't worth the gained play value.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
If I have kept him around for 10 turns, I am winning the game regardless because I have drawn 10 extra cards.

razorborne wrote:
Azhorium wrote:
razorborne is an advocate of the singular they and will use it wherever possible. I could cut it in front of graveyard, if that's your point, but "his or her" is silly when the singular they is right there.

I noticed, considering I have a preferred pronoun conveniently listed right below my very mellow avatar, and yet you still use they to refer to me...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Dr_Demento wrote:
If I have kept him around for 10 turns, I am winning the game regardless because I have drawn 10 extra cards.
and lost 10 life.

Dr_Demento wrote:
razorborne wrote:
Azhorium wrote:

I noticed, considering I have a preferred pronoun conveniently listed right below my very mellow avatar, and yet you still use they to refer to me...
oh do you? sorry. those don't show up in areas where post-writing occurs so I don't tend to remember them and find it easier to just stick with "they" for everyone. if your pronoun is important to you though I'll try to use it in the future.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:40 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I don't really mind, but I do find it quixotic.

Also, you have lost 10 life, but your opponent is apparently putting no pressure on you (see, the fact you lost 10 life and are not dead), and even if they were, all you've done is create a second life total that goes up by 2 every turn (and can be Hero's Downfalled).

I guess it is relevant because it means you don't lose to decking? Might be relevant in the control mirror.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Dr_Demento wrote:
I don't really mind, but I do find it quixotic.
if you don't mind then I'll probably stick with they just 'cause it's easier. I try to keep track of who really cares about their gender pronouns (for instance, I try to make sure to use them with Parad because I know it's important to her) but if I stick with "they" then I don't have to keep track of or make guesses about people's genders and that makes my life easier.

Dr_Demento wrote:
Also, you have lost 10 life, but your opponent is apparently putting no pressure on you (see, the fact you lost 10 life and are not dead), and even if they were, all you've done is create a second life total that goes up by 2 every turn (and can be Hero's Downfalled).
only really goes up 1 a turn, you're still removing one every turn. do you think I should drop it? I could drop it to 8 if everyone wants, I don't mind. I don't like the aesthetic of 9 for some reason. the drop doesn't feel necessary but it also doesn't feel super wrong.

note that you can also play it with things like douse in gloom (Channel the Greylands or Shadowlash in-set.) to keep your life total afloat against pressure.

Dr_Demento wrote:
I guess it is relevant because it means you don't lose to decking? Might be relevant in the control mirror.
control on control is obviously where it's most likely to come up, since that's where games go the longest. in fact with current planeswalker rules a control mirror could conceivably have both players sitting behind buffed Ulrexes, both at 0 or less life, trying to find a way to knock the other one off ultimate. neat.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:55 am 

make it 8.

Also, as soon as he becomes legal I'm gonna try a super-janky Bet on Kindness deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

make it 8.

Also, as soon as he becomes legal I'm gonna try a super-janky Bet on Kindness deck.

that is some savage tech

also, making it 8 unless someone yells NO RAZORBORNE STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING DON'T DO THAT

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:53 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

NO RAZORBORNE STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING DO IT FASTER

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:34 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I don't like VV's ultimate. I imagine to many scenarios where you're leading in card advantage, and your opponent's hope of winning become "let's remove her in response to the ultimate", and then you're both stuck with nothing.

Also now that even you have a set what is my excuse.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:46 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
Firstly, congratulations on finishing a set! I'm impressed, and would be interested in a typical razorborne-style dissection of the method and experience. I think bits of the set maybe suffered from the restriction you placed on yourself to not change anything you thought up 10 years ago, but keeping that in mind it's masterful work.

On the cards:

Ulrexes is really cool, and the type of planeswalker design I like to see on YMtC. (And try, usually unsuccessfully, to do myself.)

Vella is fine, pretty typical blue walker material. I dislike "non-Vella". On the minus ability it can be replaced by "other nonland permanents" and on the ultimate I'd prefer "all other permanents" or "all permanents other than Vella Voss". Also the alliteration on Vella Voss seems a bit cartoonish.

Like this post