It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack Reviews Anime
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:25 pm 

Hellsing and the first 8 episodes of Hellsing Ultimate have been put up on youtube by Funimation, the people who own them (meaning it's a legal source you can watch), and I would recommend checking out at least Hellsing if not both.

The same seems to be true of Trigun, which I would DEFINITELY recommend. Below is the first episode of Trigun :). The site COC says Hellsing is just a bit too violent for me to link it. Warning, the video linked a little funny so if you want to watch it it's going to start like 2 minutes in? You can literally just move the timer back to the beginning and be fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:25 am 

Review of Hellsing Ultimate

When Integra Hellsing's father dies, her uncle Richard tries to kill her. This forces her to unleash the monster Alucard upon the world to survive. Many years later, she is the head of the Hellsing organization devoted to keeping the undead well..... dead. At least in England. And Alucard is the one they send in to deal with such things. This series follows the Hellsing Organization as it deals with the Undead, the Vatican, and a third mysterious enemy out to get them.

Integra herself is a major character but not really the main character. She is a no nonsense person who refuses to surrender or negotiate, and because of this and who her servants are the Hellsing Organization is a force to be reckoned with.

Alucard only answers to orders from his "master", Integra. He is a vampire who is seemingly immortal and who seemingly doesn't have to follow the rules shared by other undead. As Garren so kindly put it, "he is a little too powerful for the world setting he is in". This means we get to see several scenes of Alucard kicking ***. That being said, this is not a problem. There is not a single scene where Alucard fights someone and I think "that was poorly done". And honestly, these were some of the cooler and more unique action scenes I have seen in a long time. If we actually need a reason to dislike Alucard, it's because the guy is a total ****. I like and feel bad for the character at the very end of the series, but for most of it I just despised this guy. :( Which is disappointing, because I actually liked him in the original anime. In the original anime, he wanted to fight the most powerful people he could find. Now.... now the guy is just a ruthless vampire (at least for most of the series) who follows Integra's orders while making her give orders she would rather not.

Seras Victoria is shot through the chest by Alucard at the beginning of the series and effectively forced to become a vampire or die. She then struggles with what it means to become a vampire and what her new position as Hellsing will truly require of her. Her character is done really well and she probably develops the most out of all of them. In fact, she is the only character I consider a real improvement over the older series counterpart.

Walter is the Hellsing butler/bodyguard who makes Alucards signature pistols. He apparently has known Alucard for some 50 years?

:( There is no fan service here, but this might be the most gratuitously violent anime I have watched in a very long time. I personally did not have a problem with it, but I know people who would. So just a heads up. Some people (and yes I know some) might also have a problem with the depiction of the Vatican in this anime.

One thing I don't like about the show is how it's vampire system works. This show sticks to its own rules. However, this only works because the show doesn't really seem to place a limit on what vampires can do. ....... That's it. There doesn't seem to be a logical consistency to what they can do. Also, unfortunately, the show seems to entirely ditch the idea of ghouls actually appearing on the screen after the first half, and it basically might as well be a very violent fight between super-soldiers after that. By the end of the anime, you'll have some idea of what a vampire is...... but not really. Just because some enemies had certain powers that weren't really explained in detail.

^^ Other than that and some of the more violent scenes, I didn't really have any major problem with the show. Overall, I enjoyed this anime and would recommend it. It's really well done and it was definitely worth watching at least once.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:28 pm 

Magic Kaito 1412. This has been surprisingly decent so far for something I wasn't sure about beforehand. Granted the magic they perform is ****, but it's been entertaining.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:39 pm 

Bah, that alone piqued my interest...not available on crunchyroll...the fact that money destroys all will never cease to hurt my heart.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:52 pm 

It is available on Crunchyroll. That is where I'm watching it. You just type "magic kaito 1412" in the search bar in the top right corner.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:07 pm 

Nah, Crunchyroll's licensing agreements are not universal. I can watch things here in the UK that are not available in Belgium. I guess this is one of those times :(...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 pm 

I didn't get very far in Magic Kaito 1412. Mostly the first ep turned me away.
It was a complete re-make of the old in-series spin off from Detective Conan.
And honestly? I actually thought they did a worse job with the animation than they did with the old one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 pm 

Random Recommendation of the Day: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In order of airing, not chronological order.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:00 am 

Haruhi has always been that weird one.
Most everyone tell me how amazing it is... but I've never really managed to get into it.
I loved The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, though.
Parallel-world Nagato too cute.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:04 am 

It's hard to think of anything to top Endless Eight from Haruhi.

Edit: Wrong topic. That's what I get for having too many tabs up. :V

9:02 AM - Mown: Honestly though most anime characters don't look that anime.
4:06 AM: Grue: you can't put all ur problems on enchantments

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:14 am 

Well crap.

It turns out Funimation bought the series and then immediately took it down from every legal source that had it.

@Niklor that's mine too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:20 am 

On a different note, I don't think this is as good as the 1st one but it's still cool:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:25 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I watched Disappearence before the series which provided a pretty appropriate perspective for the whole thing, but I would likely have enjoyed it more were I to actually watch it last.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 pm 

Identity: Human
mjack33 wrote:
Hellsing and the first 8 episodes of Hellsing Ultimate have been put up on youtube by Funimation, the people who own them (meaning it's a legal source you can watch), and I would recommend checking out at least Hellsing if not both.

The same seems to be true of Trigun, which I would DEFINITELY recommend. Below is the first episode of Trigun :). The site COC says Hellsing is just a bit too violent for me to link it. Warning, the video linked a little funny so if you want to watch it it's going to start like 2 minutes in? You can literally just move the timer back to the beginning and be fine.

You might also point out that the official Funimation website has a lot of full episodes of videos which are embedded from Hulu. I mostly say this because Hulu handles slow internet much better than youtube.

On a related note, I actually watched an episode of Trigun a second time before proceeding because I hadn't been paying full attention to it the first time and it caught my attention enough to do so. I think it was episode twelve? The one right before Diablo, with the caravan. I am loving how Trigun has a lot of subtle character depth. Like, a lot.

On a less related note, I still need to watch any and all of the Haruhi series and I plan on watching them in order of airing rather than chronological order because I like stories that are told unorthodoxly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 pm 

Identity: Human
On a related note, I actually watched an episode of Trigun a second time before proceeding because I hadn't been paying full attention to it the first time and it caught my attention enough to do so. I think it was episode twelve? The one right before Diablo, with the caravan. I am loving how Trigun has a lot of subtle character depth. Like, a lot.

Turns out that was episode 11. Also, I really liked how the "recap episode" has more of a reason than "here's what's happened so far" in that A) it actually shows Meryl's feelings toward Vash and how surprised at herself she is; and that B) it accomplishes what I was already thinking of doing since Vash's actions take on different importance and meaning in the audience (i.e. me) as the series progresses. It didn't escape my attention, however, that Vash didn't actually refer to himself as "Vash" until episode 8.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 am 

Too exhausted to elaborate a ton, but after watching 13 or so episodes I would recommend Chaika the Coffin Princess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:45 am 

This might be controversial,

*checks to see if there are any red dots on tie*

but I don't mind if you want to do that one here. That falls under the same category of RWBY, where it's techically not anime but it's the same art and animation style as some anime so I don't really mind as much if people call it anime or not. Basically "anime made in america" (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) is not something I have a problem with showing up here. I'll still be against it if spongebob, adventure time, jimmy neutron, game of thrones, or anything similar shows up though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:05 am 

Don't you just hate in when people say their favorite anime character is Eddard Stark.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:09 am 

Niklor wrote:
Don't you just hate in when people say their favorite anime character is Eddard Stark.

This has actually happened to me. I didn't know whether to find it sad or funny. Then again, our society has the following, so I can believe a lot of things to be honest:

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:25 pm 

Now, do I have to put the microwave-safe plate inside of the microwave?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next