It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they

welcome, one and all, to the inaugural You Make The Card Pro Tour! here we will partake in great challenges and fierce competition, with the end goal of crowning our very first Pro Tour Champion. there are seven rounds of open entry audition that anyone can participate in, judged by our highly qualified panel of You Make the Card celebrity judges, then we'll cut to a top 8 for community-voting single elimination. who will emerge victorious? who will stand last atop the mountain that is Pro Tour YMtC? only time, our judges, and the community at large will tell. let's play PT: YMTC.

Pro Tour: YMTC begins with an extended audition series. these are all open entry, and you can hop in at any time. however, your total score across rounds will be used to determine qualification so it's in your best interest to play every round. there will be 7 of these rounds. each round will be open for a week of submissions, followed by hopefully no more than a week of grading. we'll see though, these judges may be handling a very high volume of entries. grades will be done by ranking: each judge will provide me with an order list, from favorite to least favorite of all submissions. to prevent numbers from skewing in later, less populated rounds, I'm going to then convert those rankings into points. each round you can earn up to 5 points, meaning that a perfect score is 35.

after the seven entry rounds, the real fun begins. we take the top 8 entrants and jam them into a seeded single elimination bracket. instead of judges, though, these rounds will be judged entirely by the community. after a week of entries, there will be a week of community voting. this will determine who moves on to the next round, and who is left behind. the power will be in your hands. use it responsibly.

in the first round, we had 34 contestants. for the second second, that dropped to 27. but for the third that shot back up to 30. then for the fourth, back to 27. the fifth dropped down to 22. the sixth dropped to 18, while the seventh fell to 13.

but now the dust has settled. now we have our top 8. our contenders remaining for a shot at the title of first ever YMTC Pro Tour Champion. they are:

Quarters|Semis|Finals|Champion
(1) ty|||
vs.|?||
(8) Imidazoline|||
|vs.|?|
(4) Dr_Demento|||
vs.|?||
(5) Libe|||
||vs.|?
(3) Echo_Robin
vs.|?||
(6) Knifethrower
|vs.|?|
(2) Glasir|||
vs.|?||
(7) Riorvard|||

with one last, final thanks to our great judges Rush, DS, and Mown, we move onward to the Quarterfinals. the Top 8 begins now.

Quarterfinals Criteria

one thing Magic has moved away from is directly borrowing from other intellectual properties, preferring to craft its own brand with allusions to other works. but we are not Wizards, and we are not bound by their rules. make a legendary card that represents a fictional character or item from a real non-MtG intellectual fantasy property. if you suspect your choice is in the slightest bit obscure, please provide necessary reference material.

due to the impending holidays, I will do two weeks for submissions. round ends Monday, December 29th, at the exact time that this is posted.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
Aw, I thought we were doing criteria for each pair.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
Aw, I thought we were doing criteria for each pair.

was a consideration, but turned out to be annoying to do. maybe next year when I'm more used to this.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 am 

Ooh, tailored criteria that's always fun.

Anyway I guess I should think about this some.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

The Cheshire Cat
Image Legendary Creature — Cat Illusion (R)
Suspend 4 —
: Put The Cheshire Cat from exile onto the battlefield with a number of -1/-1 counters on it equal to the number of time counters on it as you activate this ability.
“Well! I’ve often seen a cat without a grin,” thought Alice; “but a grin without a cat! It’s the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!”
5/5

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:28 am 

Harry Potter |
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Protection from legendary creatures
Creatures you control can't have their power or toughness reduced below their base power or toughness.
"Expecto patronum."
2/2

I really didn't want to make this one mono white, but that's what it was mechanically, so screw it. There's about a hundred versions you could do of this guy anyway.

Edit: Does more or less same thing but reduces the whole "nu-uh, my Giant Growth doesn't wear off" thing.

Last edited by Imidazoline on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Does the card must be named for the character or can we pull a Theros and say "Renowned Weaver" instead of "Arachne"?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:07 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
Johnny Appleseed
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
Whenever Johnny Appleseed attacks, you,maybe everyone may search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle and stuff.
Landfall? - I dunno maybe.
2/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Riorvard wrote:
Does the card must be named for the character or can we pull a Theros and say "Renowned Weaver" instead of "Arachne"?

the intent was for it to be the exact character. the name doesn't explicitly have to be there, but I'd avoid using a different name. note that the criteria says "legendary", so Renowned Weaver wouldn't qualify anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Dr_Demento wrote:
Johnny Appleseed
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
Whenever Johnny Appleseed attacks, you,maybe everyone may search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle and stuff.
Landfall? - I dunno maybe.
2/1

CotW material

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Riorvard wrote:

Regardless of whatever razor's intent was, I would find the criteria significantly less unbearable if you did.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 am 
YMtC Champ '08

Funes the Memorious

Legendary Creature — Human
2/2
: Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard.
: For each instant or sorcery card exiled with Funes the Memorious, search your library for a card with that name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Last edited by Riorvard on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:55 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

That instantly kills you if you have more cards in hand than the number of memory counters on it, since a number greater than x is never equal to x.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

Identity: Female
Placeholder in case I don't come up with something I like slightly more.

Link, the Hero of Time |
Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior
You may cast Equipment cards as though they had flash.
, Unattach an Equipment from ~: Attach target Equipment you control to ~.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Harry Potter |
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Protection from legendary creatures
Creatures you control can't have their power or toughness reduced below their base power or toughness.
"Expecto patronum."
2/2

Could you pleasegive me an alternate name for this so I can have it in COTW? I like the card but I don't really want to see a copyrighted character get into NGA constrcted. Heck, I'll post the nomination now. Just send me the name when you can.

@Demento: Johnny Appleseed was a real person. Not sure if that would disqualify the card or not. No, "Appleseed" wasn't his last name.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:07 am 

Thanks! Erm, is there a flavour guide or anything for NGAC? If not this specific character I think it would best fit as a doctor or similar community lead.
Doc Olafsen?
Prior Calirail?
Inman, Master Surgeon?

Let's say Inman.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

ty wrote:
That instantly kills you if you have more cards in hand than the number of memory counters on it, since a number greater than x is never equal to x.

I wasn't happy with that one anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:46 pm 

Entry

Last edited by Knifethrower on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
Muad'Dib of the Terrible Purpose
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top three cards of your library and put them back in any order.
Whenever Muud'Dib of the Terrible Purpose attacks, put the top two cards of your library in you graveyard.
2/2

From Frank Herbert's Dune, where the main character gains the ability of precognition, but finds that every future he sees inevitably leads to galaxy sweeping war or worse. The later half of the novel deals with him trying to find a way around this "terrible purpose" as he calls it (among other things), but in the end he senses that his actions have not been enough and the jihad will still happen. There were several names to choose from (Paul Atraides, Muad'dib, Usul) as well as titles (Kwisatz Haderach, Misan al-Gaib, Mentat, Emporer), which is what lead me to the honorific I choose, Paul Atreides is a deep character, but I wanted to zero in on his visions and the horrific, galaxy spanning trolley problem they presented him.

I feel like my card does a good job of this, he can see the future, and even affect it through his actions, but to truly avoid the things he fears most, he is driven time and time again to conflict.

Last edited by Dr_Demento on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

oh by the way since I didn't mention it before: tiebreaker is the opinions of the original judges Rush, DS, and Mown. if they're split, which can only happen if at least one of them doesn't weigh in, then I will break the tie.

Like this post