It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 435  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am 

So, I was hanging around work and watching The Book of Life and I quite enjoyed it.
Given, I am somewhat biased though since I've been a big fan of Jorge Guiterez's work for AGES now, but still, it's a colorful and fascinating look into the culture of Latin America and the wonderful way the Aztec and Spanish cultures mixed in a way that I can't say that I've seen anywhere else.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

Out of idle curiosity, I want to ask the M:EM at large: What is your opinion of discussing dreams?

I dream rather frequently, and it's an odd occasion when they're "normal" -- as in, featuring me as myself as I am in meatspace -- and recently I've begun having dreams featuring parts of the M:EM canon, so I was wondering what people's reactions are to talking about dreams. I'm rather partial to talking about dreams, as I find them (and the possible worlds or stories they can be mined for) inherently more interesting than meatspace.

Discuss away!

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. From what I continue to be told, I'm probably going to have to pass these things intermittently for the rest of my life. As far as genetically-predisposed illnesses go, however, I could have come off with something a lot worse considering my family history.

@OL: It's especially funny because that's how many kidney stones they said I had when I got a CAT scan! Zing!

That stinks -- I'm so sorry to hear that, Ruwin.

On the plus side, if it's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then you're going to be bending steel bars with your bare hands pretty soon.

Please only use your powers for good, Ruwin.

Barinellos wrote:
So, I was hanging around work and watching The Book of Life and I quite enjoyed it.
Given, I am somewhat biased though since I've been a big fan of Jorge Guiterez's work for AGES now, but still, it's a colorful and fascinating look into the culture of Latin America and the wonderful way the Aztec and Spanish cultures mixed in a way that I can't say that I've seen anywhere else.

I'm not familiar with Jorge Guiterez. Is there a particular movie you would recommend as an entry point?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:53 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
Ow, Bummer Ruwin.

Let us discuss dreams!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

Identity: Human
Okay, then. Here's a dream I woke up from this morning:

Spoiler

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:13 pm 

Okay, then. Here's a dream I woke up from this morning:

Spoiler

That is quite the interesting train of thought...

I assume, then, that you woke up before you got your answers?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:15 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I'm not familiar with Jorge Guiterez. Is there a particular movie you would recommend as an entry point?

Fraid not. This is his first feature film.
He's been working in animation for years and years though. His most notable achievement before this was a TV show developed for Nickelodeon.
"El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Riviera"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
He's been working in animation for years and years though. His most notable achievement before this was a TV show developed for Nickelodeon.

Hrm... sounds like you'd recommend this film you saw, though?

@ Luna -- The part with the train and the paper villains sounds like it could make the kernel of a really good Jakkard story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 pm 

@ Raven:
Indeed. I was quite angry, but in all honesty I never even saw our opening moves (I know they happened, but I didn't see them).

Also, I see what you did there. ¬_¬

@ OL:
Hm... you're right, aren't you? I'm suddenly glad the floodgates are opened. ^u^

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm 

@ OL:
Hm... you're right, aren't you? I'm suddenly glad the floodgates are opened. ^u^

I read it, and I immediately imagined a young Jackie chasing these guys through a train. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm 

@ OL:

I read it, and I immediately imagined a young Jackie chasing these guys through a train. :)

They're probably cousins of Hush-Hush or something...

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 pm 

The husher twins regarded the Raven with blank faces and unreadable eyes.

"We have no family," they said, crossing their robed arms, "other than ourselves."

Jackie DeCoeur sighed, and pulled the Raven off to one side.

"You're going to have to excuse my friends," the red-eyed woman said. "They don't really understand the concept of humor. I've known them for going on ten years, and I've never once heard them laugh." She shrugged. "I figure, they've been reading each other's thoughts for as long as they've been alive, probably makes it tough to joke around. Kind of spoils the punchlines, you know?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:17 pm 

The husher twins regarded the Raven with blank faces and unreadable eyes.

"We have no family," they said, crossing their robed arms, "other than ourselves."

Jackie DeCoeur sighed, and pulled the Raven off to one side.

"You're going to have to excuse my friends," the red-eyed woman said. "They don't really understand the concept of humor. I've known them for going on ten years, and I've never once heard them laugh." She shrugged. "I figure, they've been reading each other's thoughts for as long as they've been alive, probably makes it tough to joke around. Kind of spoils the punchlines, you know?"

"Hey, don't sweat it, Jackie," the Raven said with a particularly wicked grin. "If I had a nickel, wait, do you guys have nickels on Jakkard? Anyway, if I had a nickel for every time someone didn't laugh at one of my stupid jokes, I'd be rich enough to have bought all that steel you stole. Of course, then you'd have just stolen it from me, and that would have really stuck in my craw. It's an unbreakable rule for me that stuff like that just digs in, like a talon, until I want to scream."

Jackie's hand tightened around her gun in anticipation.

The Raven smiled wider. "That's right, it's a law that a claw in my craw make me caw!"

Some would call it ironic, some would call it appropriate, but in that instant, Jackie DeCoeur saw red.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Absolutely. Stellar cast and great production crew.
Here's the trailer:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

Absolutely. Stellar cast and great production crew.
Here's the trailer:

Looks gorgeous -- it reminds me very much of Grim Fandango -- which was an absolute bear to actually play, but had one of my favorite aesthetic styles of all time. Maybe Mrs. OL and I will see if we can catch a show.

Thanks for the recommendation, Barinellos!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 am 

Looks gorgeous -- it reminds me very much of Grim Fandango -- which was an absolute bear to actually play, but had one of my favorite aesthetic styles of all time. Maybe Mrs. OL and I will see if we can catch a show.

I never played Grim Fandango, but I was (and still remain) a HUGE fan of the Monkey Island(TM) games. I occasionally find myself absently singing the Pirate Song from the third game.

Also, now I need to get "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" into a story...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 am 

I never played Grim Fandango, but I was (and still remain) a HUGE fan of the Monkey Island(TM) games. I occasionally find myself absently singing the Pirate Song from the third game.

Also, now I need to get "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" into a story...

Monkey Island is a favorite of mine, too.

I really recommend Grim Fandango. However, for anyone who isn't a *hard core* expert at old-school adventure games, I also very much recommend using a walkthrough to help you out. The game is brutally difficult in many places, and it's worth cheating your way through in order to enjoy the story and the art.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am 

@Orcish: Did you ever play Loom?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 am 

All the trailers I've seen for The Book of Life have reminded me of Guacamelee. I picked up the game in a Humble Bundle, and it was an enjoyable metroidvania-style game, though the "worse" ending was the surprisingly more touching one. Which was a real surprise, since the story up to that point had been unimportant and not even taken that seriously (the whole game was rather irreverent, filled with memes and shoutouts to other games).

--------

In other news, more paperwork problems means I have the rest of the day off. Once I get the lot numbers for the flu vaccine I got, I'll probably be taking a nap. Getting up before dawn is no picnick. Damn you, Rockefeller!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 am 

I did not. I didn't play any of the LucasArts games at the time they actually came out -- I only found them much later on, and I was basically limited to what I could scavenge physical CDs for.

I'm betting they're probably all available digitally these days, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:21 am 

I did not. I didn't play any of the LucasArts games at the time they actually came out -- I only found them much later on, and I was basically limited to what I could scavenge physical CDs for.

I'm betting they're probably all available digitally these days, though.

Probably. I just figured Loom was right up your alley, since it deals with music. The main character, Bobbin Threadbare, weaves magic with musical notes.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 435  Next