It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 433  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:58 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
Yikes man, it's just not letting up lately :( Sorry to hear about that.

Wait, didn't you have an accident a few months ago too?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:04 am 

Yikes man, it's just not letting up lately :( Sorry to hear about that.
appreciations.
Quote:
Wait, didn't you have an accident a few months ago too?

Yes! That one ended up being just superficial so the universe decided to finish the job!
WELL I SURVIVED UNIVERSE! And now....
it's personal.

(everybody might want to put their stuff elsewhere, I'm about to MURDER THE UNIVERSE.)

In other news, rather than being able to work on something I'd really rather finish, the muse has decided I shouldn't and instead womped me in the head with the wiffle ball bat of inspiration. BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE INSPIRED. I already have two character to serve as lumps from the wiffle bat! If I ever feel the impetus to put either of them to vote, I'd probably turn Kallin completely open to anybody that wants to use her, because I got nothing to do with her. Sophistria is in even worse shape as far as that goes. So yeah...

I might end up bleeding out another character just to get her out there. Doesn't help that she ends up in that "different" category either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:05 am 

Identity: Human
Yeah, after combing through the earlier pages of this intro thread, I'm noticing a disturbing number of car accidents per year for you in particular. That must be awful. I realize that I have been extremely lucky in even the six paltry years I've been driving to not even been given a ticket, much less get in an accident. Hope it gets better for you soon, and take all the time away that you need.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:06 am 

Yeah, after combing through the earlier pages of this intro thread, I'm noticing a disturbing number of car accidents per year for you in particular. That must be awful. I realize that I have been extremely lucky in even the six paltry years I've been driving to not even been given a ticket, much less get in an accident. Hope it gets better for you soon, and take all the time away that you need.

That's the worst thing about it too! For 12 years I've been driving relatively safely and not having any issues really worse than "ticket for seat belt violation".

Then in a span of like 4 months it's just one thing after another.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:04 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
My brother just got his car badly bashed in by a drunk hit-and-run. Last night ~2 am. But there was a witness who got the driver's license plate so they'll be caught at least. Another car was hit and a third one was totalled but they were all parked and empty thank gods.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:20 pm 

Yikes, Barin -- I am so, so sorry to hear about the accident. :( I'm just relieved that it wasn't any worse.

Barinellos wrote:
(everybody might want to put their stuff elsewhere, I'm about to MURDER THE UNIVERSE.)

The Universe? But that's where I keep all my stuff!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:23 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
@Arcades:

Glad your brother is ok :(

Also, given the frequency of car accidents, I'm glad I'm the one M:EMber that doesn't have a car! I'm safe! [taxi proceeds to drive through the front of my house]

@Twin Peaks:

So season 2 is already a little... sillier than season 1 in some ways. Hm. Hm.

That said, the end of the season 2 opener is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:38 pm 

I just went back and re-watched it. Yeah, that's a bit freaky.

As for season two's silliness...yeah...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 pm 

Hello!

I just remembered some good advice that I read when I first started writing (though, unfortunately, the source escapes me) and I figured I would share it here. (Paraphrased below)

"When characters talk to one another, it is not as though they are having a contest. In conversation, there is not witty quip after witty quip, followed by several smart observations or declarations, like the participants are engaging in a tennis match using their words as the ball. There are pauses for thinking, for emotion, for emphasis. There's movement, fidgeting, gestures, nervousness. No one talks while standing completely still, and removing motion, even the littlest of motions, from a dialogue can make a piece seem rushed and incomplete. Don't forget to let your characters move."

Like I said, I'm not sure where I read this/who told me it. Maybe it was one of you guys? Anyway, hope it helps some aspiring writers, maybe.

@Car Accidents: Stay safe, everyone. :/

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:23 pm 

Hello!

I just remembered some good advice that I read when I first started writing (though, unfortunately, the source escapes me) and I figured I would share it here. (Paraphrased below)

"When characters talk to one another, it is not as though they are having a contest. In conversation, there is not witty quip after witty quip, followed by several smart observations or declarations, like the participants are engaging in a tennis match using their words as the ball. There are pauses for thinking, for emotion, for emphasis. There's movement, fidgeting, gestures, nervousness. No one talks while standing completely still, and removing motion, even the littlest of motions, from a dialogue can make a piece seem rushed and incomplete. Don't forget to let your characters move."

Like I said, I'm not sure where I read this/who told me it. Maybe it was one of you guys? Anyway, hope it helps some aspiring writers, maybe.

Good advice. I like to think this is something I do myself, and I personally think it helps a great deal. I could, of course, be wrong on both counts...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:41 pm 

@Ruwin: See, as an actor and director, I really should know that. But I very often forget it while writing. Maybe I should just apply it this way: "As written, would this piece be interesting in a visual medium?" Considering how used I am to working in the visual, that should help me.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:25 pm 

Also, given the frequency of car accidents, I'm glad I'm the one M:EMber that doesn't have a car! I'm safe! [taxi proceeds to drive through the front of my house]

I am also sans car. Even thinking about trying to drive in this city gives me the shakes.

@Twin Peaks:

Just remember that the owls are not what they seem.

Hello!

Good advice! The addendum I would tack on to it is that fidgeting, nervousness, thinking, and all those other things can manifest themselves in the spoken dialog, too. People don't usually talk like they're in an Aaron Sorkin movie. They stumble over their words, they repeat themselves, they misinterpret what other people are saying. They start to say the wrong thing, catch themselves two-thirds of the way through a sentence, and try to change directions mid-word.

Even just a little hint of that kind of conversational uncertainty can go a long way towards humanizing the people involved.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:31 am 

My brother just got his car badly bashed in by a drunk hit-and-run. Last night ~2 am. But there was a witness who got the driver's license plate so they'll be caught at least. Another car was hit and a third one was totalled but they were all parked and empty thank gods.

Excellent. Vengeance shall be yours!
.... Justice, I meant Justice.

I'm still pissed over the person that drove me off the road months ago and got away with it. I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED. LEGITIMATELY AND ACTUALLY KILLED GUYS. I WAS NEARLY FORCED INTO A **** RAVINE.

Which reminds me, it's sort of a queasy thing to consider, but I've been turning over the idea of making an M:EM Will & Testament.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:37 am 

If you're making an M:EM Will & Testament, you should probably make a regular one also. Although it would be pretty funny if you didn't. I just have this morbid image of your family meeting with a lawyer:

"...so we have no idea of what he wanted done with all his stuff?"
"Nope. But he left explicit instructions on the future action of someone called 'The Duchess' in a place called 'Jakkard', whatever that means."

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:45 am 

I've thought that, even with my being in my early-mid 20's, making a will out is still probably a good idea; if I only knew how to go about making one without needing to talk to a lawyer...

Oh, hey, if you're worried about that kind of thing, there's http://deathswitch.com/ which I learned about through Radiolab.
To summarize the service: you log in every [adjustable amount of time], and after a certain amount of log-ins are missed, the system deduces you are "dead" and sends out an email to people whom you specify with messages which you can write. You can even schedule to have messages sent long after your "death" -- like once a year, I guess (there's not a whole lot of information from the flash on the site). It even says they'll give you 1 message to 1 person for absolutely free (or a lot more for the subscription price).

I... forgot what I originally came into this thread for...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:52 am 

I'm bad about having that effect. Comes with the eldritch domination thing, reality just tends to warp in my presence and I've been in THAT kind of mood so...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:55 am 

Barinellos wrote:

I'm bad about having that effect. Comes with the eldritch domination thing, reality just tends to warp in my presence and I've been in THAT kind of mood so...

There was a reason...

Every time I get this feeling, I am always reminded of that scene in Brother Bear with the two moose.
"Gee, I wouldn't go that way if I were you."
"Why would that be, eh?"
"Well... there was a reason..."
* Kenai gets trapped and busted around for several long seconds *
"Have you figured it out yet?"
"No, but it's really bugging me, eh."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:03 am 

It's been too long since anybody has quoted Archer so....

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 am 

Hello!

@Car Accidents: Stay safe, everyone. :/

Heh, I actually got in trouble with a creative writing teacher over this once. We were supposed to write a dialogue between two people, and I included remarks on what they were doing at the time, which she didn't like. Of course, what they were doing at the time was participating in a running gun battle, and it may have run more than two pages...

Manage to avoid car accidents myself, though my sisters tend to be rather prone. One got rear ended, then had the car stolen from the mechanics, only for that person to run it into a light pole. My other sister got t-boned by a drunk running a red light. On the plus side, she got hit on the passenger side and spun out in front of the local fire department. On the bad side, it took the police 45 minutes to report to the scene. Of course, that had something to do with the drunk who hit my sister hitting the responding car head on...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:20 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
It took the police 2 hours to get to the scene of the hit-and-run that got by brother's car.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 433  Next