It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
razorborne | 8
Imidazoline | 8
Glasir | 7
Tevish Szat | 7
Dudibus | 7
Confused | 6
POSValkir | 6
Yarium | 6
altimis | 5
theatog | 4

Comments

Round Fourteen - Thursday, September 18th
For some reason, all of the dailymtg articles today are locked. So instead, please make a card based of my favourite artwork from Khans of Tarkir:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Fish Roast-
Instant
Destroy target Fish.
"This is absolutely my real submission."~Razorborne

ha nope

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I'm glad I didn't change my card. I was bugged by a card named "Disciple of the Wing" not having anything to do with flying, but that's how the flavor profile broke down and since it was clearly a cycle, the red one, in a clan with no blue, being the one that dishes out flying made basically none sense.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 am 

ty wrote:
Yarium — Furyblood Berserker — 6
I like the idea a lot, it's a cool mechanic. The execution needs work, though — "exiled by a creature" doesn't really make rules sense. I think you want to keyword it, so it's something like "Lineage (When a creature enters the battlefield, you may exile this from your graveyard [inspiring] that creature. Return it to your graveyard when that creature dies.)". Then you can use haunt-like wording for the firebreathing ability. The power level seems underwhelming for a rare, though, and I don't see red getting a 1/3 for .

I actually do have a keyword for it, but since all the Tarkir mechanics have been previewed, I couldn't name it. However, that also gave me the opportunity to allow the ancestor to return to your graveyard. I've got a set on semi-permanent backlogs that includes two such mechanics; Ancestry, and Lineage.

Ancestry (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from your graveyard as its ancestor.) (these cards then have some effect based on their ancestor)
Lineage (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile this card from your graveyard as its ancestor.) (these cards grant a bonus to their ancestor)

Note, in my set, the two abilities can be combined :) to really give a sense of new creatures picking up the pieces of their past!

As for the 1/3 fire, I was linking this card's stats to another similar card; Prophetic Flamespeaker

Onto the new round;

Nomad's Feast |
Enchantment (U)
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, choose one:
~ Gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
~ Add or to your mana pool.
~ Exile a card from a graveyard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 pm 

Temur Hospitality
:1::g::g:
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, tap an untapped creature you control and choose one
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
  • Gain life equal to that creature's power
  • That creature fights target creature.
The folk of the frontier have little, but share it freely. Those who would abuse their hospitality, however, would do well to note that they brawl amongst themselves and do not pull their punches with outsiders.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm 

Round Thirteen:

Nitula, the Hunt Caller -
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Vigilance
When another creature you do not control enters the battlefield, untap ~ and it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
, : Choose a creature other than ~. When that creature dies this turn, you gain 3 life. Then, ~ fights that creature.
4/4

Round Fourteen:

Roasting Fish Oh wait, Razor already did that.

Campfire Stories -
Sorcery (C)
You gain 1 life for each creature and land you control. Untap all creatures you control.

Last edited by Confused on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:34 pm 

Round 12 grades (ty, ill update the spreadsheet later)

theatog - 8
Dudibus - 8
Imidazoline - 8
altimis - 8
Tevish Szat - 7
Glasir - 7
razorborne - 7
Yarium - 6
Confused - 6
POSValkir - 5
ParadOxymoron - 5

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:40 pm 

Test User (1)
I have officially dropped the ball. I guess I should be glad it was dropped on a high note where I just fail the criteria rather than doing a bad card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
Round 12:

Disciple Of A Thousand Fists-
Creature-Human Monk
Prowess
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, Disciple Of A Thousand Fists gains Prowess until end of turn. (Multiple instances of Prowess stack.)
Even among the Jeskai, the Thousand Fist Path is a mystery. Students of it throw blows faster than the eye can see, at once an unstoppable barrage and an impenetrable barrier.
1/1

if you are commentsing I would appreciate some comments but if not then such is life

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
I have officially dropped the ball. I guess I should be glad it was dropped on a high note where I just fail the criteria rather than doing a bad card.

if it makes you feel better I almost fell for the exact same thing. my original model for the Disciple was an orc that, when you paid wedge mana, turned into a dragon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:48 pm 

Test User (1)
you know what's funny? i kinda know it is not what the criteria is asking for. I just like the card i am submitting a tiny tinsy bit more than I care to fit the criteria.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm 

I'd like comments please Floopfoot.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:14 pm 

Actually, since the contest is coming to a close, can I get comments on what you felt was my greatest strength and greatest weakness? I feel like I scored 6 every single round and would like to know why that happened.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:

Campfire Tales-
Enchantment
Nonattacking, nonblocking creatures you control are 6/6.
"I swear!" Hothgar bellowed, "'twas bigger than three of ye lain end to end!" Damaran shook his head and laughed. "At least wait 'til we're done eating it 'fore ye start makin' things up."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:25 pm 

ty wrote:
POSValkir — Contemplate the Dragon — 6
I like the name, and this is a neat (and powerful!) combat trick, though it seems quite derivative of Flying Crane Technique, though with a flicker instead of an untap effect (though it amounts to the same thing if you're blocking, usually). I'd sort of want to know what rarity it is — at rare it's a little underwhelming, but at uncommon it'd be a limited bomb for sure.

Hmm, to be honest, I just came up with the name and thought how to represent it. Had nothing to do with Crane nor did I think about rarity. I think you're absolutely right though. I'd put it at Uncommon, but I might want to cost it one more then.

I was only looking at the effects, which I figured would usually be four, but I could squeak three since it has a high mana requirement.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 pm 

POSValkir wrote:
Stoic Master
Creature - Human Monk
Defender, Prowess
When Stoic Master enters the battlefield you may exile an instant or sorcery card from your hand.
Whenever Stoic Master blocks, you may cast a copy of the exiled spell. (You must pay all costs related to casting the spell)
"Aggression is but weakness personified." - Santku, the Peaceful, upon the defeat of his one-thousandth challenger.
1/3

Can I get comments?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 pm 

Yarium wrote:
Essence Thief |
Creature - Shapeshifter {R}
When Essence Thief is turned face-up, turn another target creature with Morph face-down. Essence Thief becomes a copy of that creature.
Morph
1/1

Yarium wrote:
Temur Sigil Pouch |
Artifact {C}
,: Add to your mana pool.

Yarium wrote:
Wholeness of Body |
Sorcery (R)
Put a ki counter on up to seven permanents you control. Those permanents gain "Sacrifice this permanent: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you this turn."
(Jeskai Watermark)

Quote:
Jeskai Seafarer |
Creature - Human Sailor (U)
Prowess, Islandwalk
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, draw a card.
"The path of water takes you everywhere, allowing you to find enlightenment in the ports of others."
1/2
These are the cards you submitted for the four rounds I've run so far (I've got one more tomorrow). The first of these four got a 7 and the rest got a 6. Main issue is these don't seem like very much fun and/or feel unbalanced. First one can often be useless if the opponent has no morph (it's pretty weak to use on your own guys unless as some sort of mini Pickles). Second one is just not the cost they use for artifact ramp any more. The third one is a seven turn fog (Turbofog usually has tons of lands they don't need by that point in the game, this just seals the deal). The fourth one is a crazy storm card (compare things like Mesa Enchantress or Vedalken Archmage and know that instants and sorceries are much more powerful card types since they have all the rituals and draw spells). You may also have been a victim of judge fatigue and idiosyncrasy like "I've seen this effect too many times, feels unoriginal" or "I hate cards that turn face down or have landwalk" (yeah it doesn't seem fair but we're only human). Your main strength is that you're good at coming up with interesting variations on existing ideas. Triple signets is a cool idea and prowess plus draw is nice synergy if not for the fact that it's broken.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 pm 

Way of the Empty Palm
:u::r::w:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has Prowess and "Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gains Protection from Opponents until end of turn" (It can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything controlled by an opponent.)
All Jeskai study the use of weaponry and combat, but the most exalted masters need no weapon besides their own body.

I would appreciate comments.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 pm 

razorborne - I like the way that this builds up at a quadratic rate and can lead to some epic turns. The flavor fits the card well. I docked one point from you for submitting the exact same card as Imidazoline.

POSValkir - This seems unfun whether it works well for you or badly. If it goes well, you could use something like Path to Exile and no one will ever attack you again. If it goes badly, the opponent just zaps this guy and two for ones you. Also the prowess seems kind of useless here. I guess if you don't exile a good enough card to discourage attackers then you can use instants to make this a better blocker as a combat trick, but that would rarely come up.

Tevish Szat - Don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito. Protection from opponents isn't the sort of thing that should appear very often. It might have been better if this was cheaper and you just picked one job for it - either prowess plus unblockable or prowess plus can't be damaged by creatures. I dig the synergy though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

I can finally breathe for the first time this week, so I will be catching up on grades tomorrow, hopefully.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next