It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 180  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:42 am 

Identity: Tremulant
Preferred Pronoun Set: wot
So the other day, Fenix raised a complaint about YMtC being very cliquish. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I feel like we're more accepting than many other communities on the internet, but it could be that my own experience is clouding my perceptions.

razorborne wrote:
I think it is and isn't. like, there's a lot of camaraderie and history here. I would say a lot of us are close friends, and we act like it. I think that's a sign of a healthy community, but it can be intimidating to break into. I don't think any effort is made to exclude (in fact, I try to make the effort to include and encourage newcomers when possible, and other members seem to do the same.) but it's a deep social landscape which can be hard to navigate if you don't already know the community.

I was a little surprised to see that Fenix doesn't consider themself a part of the community. Fenix has been around for quite a while and I definitely think of them as a member of the YMtC gang. we may not interact as much as, say, me and Rush, but then very few people interact on here as much as me and Rush.

:duel:

2Shieldz wrote:
Cliques: Man, I remember my first interaction. I'd been lurking for a couple months maybe and I'd gotten to know some of the major players just from watching. Then I posted three or four absolutely terrible not-fun-at-all cards that I thought were so innovative. The only person who commented was Mown. He was not. . . encouraging. Still, I came back. I don't mind the tough love process of entering the community. Keeps us weenie-free for the most part.

As for actual cliques, I dunno. If we do have them, then I would consider Fenix. to be part of mine. Certainly there are relationships that have been established - but most of them are friendships. If this affects judging, well, I guess the best we can do is to try to let it not. I will say that, if anything, I judge the people I'm friends with harder than those with whom I'm merely acquainted. . .

Sorry everyone if it sounded like I was being unfairly critical of YMTC, and thanks for considering me part of your gang. I said I don't feel like I am because in the other communities I have been pretty invested into I got to know people on a personal level after a while which deepens the sense of belonging and fantasy card design doesn't really go that way (nor it needs to) so I always felt like an outlier. POSvalkir also said what I wanted to say about this forum when it comes to accepting newbies so I wont repeat it.

Also pablo you can stop using my old name that dot makes me always think like your sentences are abruptly ending heh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
2Shieldz wrote:
The only person who commented was Mown. He was not. . . encouraging.

My apologies that I don't remember, I probably didn't consider it noteworthy. However, now you've made me curious.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I tend to just ignore newbies all together until they've made cards and gotten used to what we expect. Then I might actually give advice.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am 

I think I remember you being part of the argument revolving around the self contained Infinite Combo bird I designed (like the third card I designed). But you're comments were very Chaos-esque. Three - four words along the lines of "Someone set him straight"

If I remember correctly it was spear headed by Rush.

Edit....maybe it was Imi...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:22 pm 

Test User (1)
LilyStorm wrote:
I tend to just ignore newbies all together until they've made cards and gotten used to what we expect. Then I might actually give advice.

Can confirm. Newbie here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:19 pm 

I like giving advice to new people! Mostly so that I can solidify my reputation as a community pillar. Right now I feel like my reputation might color how I'm graded in major contests where judges might feel it is safer to grade people with stronger reputations higher (or maybe I just suck) - but I'm currently at what I consider "lovable trickster" level. Mown, don't worry about it. It was something like:

"Players can't play cards, cast spells, attack with creatures, or activate abilities"

and you were like "That might be the least fun card I've seen in a while. Mown out."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I have vague memories of writing such a sentence, yeah, disregarding the "Mown out."

You're right though, I do sometimes do a double-take on whether you're trying to be serious or not. Especially when you're wording is completely out of whack. Your Championship submission to my criteria didn't do much to strengthen that impression either.
I wouldn't know how people perceive me, but within ymtc, it's probably either as a cynic or templating fetishist.
And you'd be right.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:52 pm 

Bah, I was even trying to tone it down for such a serious contest. Fine. Must try harder.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

It would (possibly) have been fine if you actually worded it like you intended to. I mean, it would probably not work the way it should, but it would at least look like a sensible design, not "guise how do i check for etb triggers".

also, why

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 pm 

Test User (1)
2Shieldz wrote:
I like giving advice to new people! Mostly so that I can solidify my reputation as a community pillar. Right now I feel like my reputation might color how I'm graded in major contests where judges might feel it is safer to grade people with stronger reputations higher (or maybe I just suck) - but I'm currently at what I consider "lovable trickster" level. Mown, don't worry about it. It was something like:

"Players can't play cards, cast spells, attack with creatures, or activate abilities"

and you were like "That might be the least fun card I've seen in a while. Mown out."

you know i'm a die-hard fan when

<--------- This.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm 

Aw.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 pm 

lol, well played Pablo...excellent quote bait...

@Mown: Hmmm, You do put off a pretty strong Jaded/Cynic vibe...but I think its mostly vibe (mostly). I think...something you probably don't want posted...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
My impression of you Mown is that everything you right is uncapitalized, even though you actually do use correct capitalization. Very understated, even if you hold strong opinions. Finds arguing with other people tiresome and often fruitless, so you just lay your opinion out and observe the reaction without investing yourself in defending it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:15 pm 

Test User (1)
This game is fun. Now do me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
I get how people think YMTC is cliquey/cliquish, but it's not really that way. When i first posted back in the WOTC days, I noticed that is was always the same group of like ten people participating/winning most of teh contests like Idol and champs. Which appears cliquey, but really is just a testament to people who've been here the longest and know what to expect.

As for Mown, when Mown posts it does come across as pessimistic, but we all know it's in good fun but newbies might not, because we've been here forever. And it's not just mown. When I first posted I was intimidated by Mown, Razor, and CKY. It's not that they were mean, but they just knew what they were talking about.

I don't think it's as cliquey as much as it is barrier to entry. It's pretty intimidating come into the big leagues for the first time.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
First contest I entered on WotC forums (back on the old ones) was a YMtC FFA tournament hosted by I think Alice. Luck-sacked my way to victory because it turns out I'm a better player than a card designer :P (seriously: if you can find my scores for that, they were awful).

Ever since, I've been true to my bullheaded Izzet mentality of pushing envelopes via experimentation, mostly unsuccessful, but a few gems pop up here and there.

I'm curious as to what others think of me as well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:42 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
I think altimis hit the nail on the head when it comes to the YMtC "clique". Props to him.

@theatog: You are part of the YMtC middle class that I regard as reasonable competition, but have little other specific impressions of. You are a decent to above-average card designer. You have not created an exceptionally notable set or hosted a particularly notable name-brand contest to completion. You are the silent majority.

@EpicLevelCommoner: Pretty much the same as theatog, only newer and thus more likely to make costly blunders in long term competitions, however you also have more of a presence in non-YMtC boards. If either you or theatog hosted a long term contest I would be skeptical of whether it would reach completion, but would still consider entering.

I'm not particularly curious of what others on the board think of me because I'm pretty sure it falls under the same category as above. I'm not a particularly active member of the community, and haven't had any particular success in the high-profile competitions. I have finished second to Libe in CotW contests to many times for my liking.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:53 pm 

I think my first card was in The Chain. I made a werewolf mechanically based on Homarid. The next person told me it was OK but really messy. This may have been Mown, but it's more likely I'm making that up.

Then I entered a contest by Edacade and did reasonably well. I was so excited to not lose that I ended up sticking around.

Dr_Demento wrote:
I'm not particularly curious of what others on the board think of me because I'm pretty sure it falls under the same category as above. I'm not a particularly active member of the community, and haven't had any particular success in the high-profile competitions.

Quoted for truth. I tend to do decently well in contests, but that's basically all the card designing I ever do.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am 

Test User (1)
Dr_Demento wrote:
I think altimis hit the nail on the head when it comes to the YMtC "clique". Props to him.

@theatog: You are part of the YMtC middle class that I regard as reasonable competition, but have little other specific impressions of. You are a decent to above-average card designer. You have not created an exceptionally notable set or hosted a particularly notable name-brand contest to completion. You are the silent majority.

@EpicLevelCommoner: Pretty much the same as theatog, only newer and thus more likely to make costly blunders in long term competitions, however you also have more of a presence in non-YMtC boards. If either you or theatog hosted a long term contest I would be skeptical of whether it would reach completion, but would still consider entering.

I'm not particularly curious of what others on the board think of me because I'm pretty sure it falls under the same category as above. I'm not a particularly active member of the community, and haven't had any particular success in the high-profile competitions. I have finished second to Libe in CotW contests to many times for my liking.

Thanks Dr.D XD

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:36 am 

I used to be called eddned. I came fifth in the first YMTC mole, which was funny because I failed all the rounds but one. But I still get to say that I beat people like mono789 in a card creation contest.

I remember seriously designing this card

Thing
Creature-Whateveritwas
Whenever ~ attacks, tap all your lands
20/20

yup. I just destroyed all your opinions of me forever.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 180  Next