It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:26 pm 

Ok, I enjoyed the first contest...and the ensuing discussions...I'm gonna do it again.

This time we'll take a look at Shrines. There are currently five Shrines in existence, all at the Uncommon level. This task will probably be a little more difficult than the last given the nature of the existing Shrines.

SO here we go...

CRITERIA: Design a Common rarity Shrine!

As of now, I'll grade this in the same way I graded last. The first person graded will set the grading curve (by the way, that doesn't mean I grade the first card and forget about it, i will adjust the grade if I discover something later down the line which applies to the first.). Whatever I detract points for from the first card, I'll detract in the same way from all other cards for which that criteria applies.

Further, after my initial grades, there will be a rebuttal round open to the community. This is to keep me as a grader in check (as well as to help me grow as a designer and grader...to help us all really.) After the rebuttals I will take all information into account and adjust grades accordingly.

This will be open until 13Sep14 at 5:30pm EST.

Good Luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

Test User (1)
Aren't shrine by definition legendary?

A common legendary card sounds like a contradiction.

They don't even appear in uncommon that often with the exception of kamigawa (only becoz' it's a legendary set... which is kinda lame to begin with : P)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm 

Meh...there's been discussion in...places that Shrines should be expanded. They don't necessarily HAVE to be legendary, but yes, currently they all are. I did say this would be a bit more challenging based on the nature of their current existence. They don't appear anywhere BUT at Uncommon (and Legendary) as of now...there are only five, all from Kamigawa.

Eh, I guess I'll give a hint at what I'm thinking...Shrines don't have to have an Upkeep trigger...the design space is essentially wide open since it will only impact Modern and...Legacy :wha:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm 

Test User (1)
They are legendary, imo, more for mechanical reason than flavor reason. You really don't want them to stack with themselves. Imagine with two blue shrines you draw 4 extra cards a turn. I think that's one of the signature properties for Shines and I am not even going into upkeep trigger yet. XD.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm 

Roadside Shrine :3:
Artifact - Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may tap a creature. If you do, gain 4 life.
The shrine is designed to bring good fortune and safety to travelers. It might be superstition, but it seems to work.

Mechanically, this doesn't make use of the shrine type. Flavorfully, I think it works. I could see this being used like gates. The gates don't interact with themselves, but other things reference them? Also there is no reason this needs to be an artifact. It could become an enchantment, since currently Shrine is an enchantment subtype.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 pm 

Skirsdag Devotional
:1::b:
Enchantment - Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, target player loses 1 life for each shrine you control.
Even after the return of Avacyn and the fall of Grislebrand, the demon-cult survived, hiding their places of worship in the darkness not where the cathars wouldn't dare go, but where they wouldn't think to look.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:09 pm 

Frozen Stele |
Enchantment - Shrine {C}
Sacrifice Frozen Stele: Tap X target creatures, where X is the number of Shrines you control. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:18 pm 

Identity: Male
Shrines are obviously a linear draft archetype, so let's run with that. Here's a win condition for 23_Shrines.dek.

Shrine of the Susurrus

Enchantment - Shrine (C)

At the beginning of your upkeep, target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of Shrines you control.

Pray and hear the flow of eternity.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:30 am 

Stumble Upon
Instant (C)
Put a colorless Enchantment Shrine token onto the battlefield.
Draw a card.

"Although the things of the past may no longer be usable, they may still be filled with lessons."
- The Pitchfoot Stranger

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:09 pm 

closing at 5, but I'll be grading before then so let me know if you make any last minute tweaks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:20 pm 

Shrine of Stability -
Enchantment - Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life. If you control four or more shrines, you gain 4 life instead.
A single prayer might be soft, but a devoted heart rings with utmost clarity.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:54 pm 

ok...closed...I'll finish tomorrow...I got distracted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:22 am 

Per my discussion with theatog:
Spoiler

dtolle: 7/10
Spoiler

Tevish Szat: 9/10
Spoiler

Yarium: 8/10
Spoiler

chinkeeyong: 8/10
Spoiler

2Shieldz: 9/10
Spoiler

Confused: 8/10
Spoiler

Thanks for participating! As always, I'm open to discussion and regrading!

Last edited by POSValkir on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm 

Yay!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:18 pm 

I'm glad you liked mine! I figured it was an effect that scaled well. With two Shrines out you get a Frost Breath, and if there's a common cycle in a set, then you must remember that the situation of 2 Shrines will be a pretty frequent occurrence. In order to prevent "Shrine.dec" from being overpowering, then you need to have a mechanic that holds back the strength of these mechanics. Shrines with a sacrifice clause provide a great out for this issue. Shrines that don't sacrifice can go from "terrible" to "too powerful" in no time flat between doing something once and doing something three times as much. Look no further than Gary for a good example of how a scaling feature can go bad at Common.

But, if you have to sacrifice the card, then that means two important things;

#1 - One-time use means that the scaling effect is only rewarded once. This lets you have big scaling be more of a payoff without being oppressive. Tapping down 1 creature with the shrine is nice. Tapping down 3 creatures is awesome (an instant-speed Sleep in many cases), but something you can live through - which is where a powerful Common really should be. Yeah, Gary falls under this category too, but getting down multiple shrines is a lot harder than black devotion.

#2 - A cycle of uses has diminishing returns. No matter how many Shrines you have, with sacrifice triggers you can never get the max effect for all of them. If you have three shrines with sac effects, the first goes big, the second goes "normal", and the third goes small.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 pm 

I actually realized (while looking at the quote of mine) that I messed up the formatting. It should be tap a creature you control. And remembering its a common, I think 1 or 2 life would have been completely adequate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 am 

Huh, I forgot to mention that everyone had stellar flavor this round! Truly impressive!

@Yarium: Yeah, I got why the sac was needed. That's actually what made me think of Shrine creatures. It make the Shrine more vulnerable to standard removal. Actually, thinking about it more I like combining yours and 2Shieldz idea:

Apostle of Frost
Creature - Human Shrine
When Apostle of Frost dies, put a colorless artifact Shrine token into play.
:t:, Sacrifice Apostle of Frost: Tap up to two target creatures, those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
"They draw strength from the sacrifice of those they call saints. We must find a way to end this."
2/1

Bad flavor, but yeah...I like that idea.

Like this post