It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:13 am 

Crevice Seeker
Creature—Ooze (R)
As Crevice Seeker enters the battlefield, choose a number between 0 and 10.
Crevice Seeker gets +X/-X, where X is the chosen number.
"As I travel deeper, the oozes take on different shapes—but always exactly the right size to consume local fauna."
—Tema Wokanta, botanist of the Drurian expedition

0/11

Last edited by Steinhauser on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 am 

Crevice Seeker
Creature—Ooze (R)
As Crevice Seeker enters the battlefield, choose a number.
Crevice Seeker gets +X/-X, where X is the chosen number.
"As I travel deeper, the oozes take on different shapes—but always exactly the right size to consume local fauna."
—Tema Wokanta, botanist of the Drurian expedition

0/11

This seems above the curve. A "balanced" version can be a 6/5, which usually costs 2 mana more. In exchange for the luxury of a :2: discount on the stats you get... the luxury to choose other stats if they fit your current needs better than a 6/5 does. Also, it's an instant kill with Pandemonium and Warstorm Surge (call "100" -- it'll instantly die, but the ETB will still trigger off the massively inflated power), though I'm not sure a corner case is much of a concern. Should probably be a 0/9 and ask you to choose a number between 0 and 9 (or 0 and 8)

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm 

It's a rare, and we do have things like Deadbridge Goliath these days. I think 4 mana at rare is pretty fair for a vanilla 6/5 or 7/4, that can also be a 10/1 on an empty board. I'd still be surprised to see it make a ton of constructed decks, while it gets to be very bomby in limited.

You're right about specifying a range for the number though, as much as I like the simplicity of "choose any number" there's always gonna be someone who snarkily chooses -5000.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:19 am 

Grading time. Wizards' card was Stigma Lasher. There's a triggered ability to make your opponent take notice (assuming they have lifegain in their deck). Although you only had to hit someone once with this guy to get the effect, it wasn't impossible for them to avoid with the help of some blockers or removal, so it felt fair. The flavor is also impressive, an interpretation of what wither might do to players.

altimis - I'm not sure exactly how this card works. Wouldn't everyone just choose red or white, then this would get sacrificed and not deal damage to anyone? How many games of Magic have five or more players anyway? (Wiz)

Confused - Nice variant on Archangel of Strife, though I think the brawl players get a pretty significant advantage (apart from how it's not that useful for a 5 mana creature to ramp you?) so the mind players would only be using their scry to find removal for this angel, which then turns off the scry. (Draw)

Tevish - I love the flavor of dwarves getting revenge on behalf of their ancestors. I think when the creature type is used like that it means "dwarf permanent", so it would work for a dwarf enchantment but not a sorcery. Also, I think the text should be "it also deals an equal amount of damage to this creature" unless you intended the effect to scale quadratically. This guy kind of has the "no one blocks in Constructed" problem, apart from how difficult it is to use this even if someone does attack into it (but I guess that's why you explained that it would go in a set with tribal cards). (NG)

Cato - Well this is definitely a combo card, because if you're using it 'fairly' then it is unlikely to get damaged in a step where you need the mana. If you attack with this and it gets blocked, I guess you could use the mana to cast a removal spell during the combat damage step, although if you had the choice I think you would prefer to have cast that before damage. Otherwise, you're just Shivan Meteoring your own dude. This is more interesting than the standard Mogg Maniac combo because you have a choice of what to do with your mana. I probably would have preferred "in any combination of colors" (even though that would then not fit the criteria) because then you can cast ultimatums and stuff with it. (Draw)

Yarium - You might wanna knock about four off the mana cost since this is so hard to use. I really like this, it's such an off the wall design, though it would be difficult to protect yourself while you're comboing off because you're restricted about what spells you can cast, so people would either set up an invincible wall first, or just focus on casting the cheapest spells and winning. It might be better if it didn't actually prevent you from casting other kinds of spells, but still kept the sequence and only advanced you to the next stage once you cast the type of spell it was asking for. (NG)

storyteller - I like this blue version of Disembowel, and I think being a sorcery puts it at an appropriate power level for a color that normally doesn't get removal. Why "for as long as her or she controls"? Why not "it doesn't untap during its controller's untap step (this lasts indefinitely)"? By the way, 'Frostbite' has not yet been used as a card name. (NG)

Steinhauser - This would normally be done with counters (I did this in one of my sets using -1/+1 counters) but since it needs to fit the criteria, it's fine. I have no problem with above-the-curve vanilla creatures, since they clearly haven't pushed it hard enough if things like Woolly Thoctar, Deadbridge Goliath and Alms Beast see no play. THE FLAVOR IS AWESOME, OOZES FTW. (NG)

You guys smashed them this round. Something about a cooperative contest seems to bring about the most creative designs, or maybe it's the criteria being based on things that have been done before? I don't know. Maro would say restrictions breed creativity or something. No Goblins is at 2 while Wizards is at 1.

Round 4

Make a card with Fuse.

Grading might be delayed this round.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am 

On altimis's card, if the thing is sacrificed you lose the protection it gives.
So it's basically a sorcery that costs :1::r::w: and reads "Each player takes 5 damage".

On my card, I somehow just couldn't figure out there was an easier wording for it.
The name was inspired as a variant of Banefire.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
Correct, in most cases people will be taking 5 damage. In most multiplayer formats, people will be able to manipulate who gets protection from what.

In a duel, it's 5 damage, but multiplayer is where it really shines. That being said, I wish I made it do more damage (for a greater cost), so that it can be more of a threat in commander.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 am 

@ Grade: I worded it that way to avoid an infinite loop when 2 or more creatures have grudge counters

Situation A: Creatures A and B each have grudge counters that are memory aids for the "This creature" version of the text and a dwarf deals 2 damage to Creature C. It then also deals 2 damage to creatures A and B... and then the damage on creature A is copied onto creature B and vise versa.

Situation B: Creaturess A and B each have grudge counters that are memory aids for "Each other creature" and a dwarf deals damage to Creature C. Since at least something has the grudge text (See: Flagbearers for a similar scenario), all grudged creatures get hit.

At least that's how I understand it. Development would probably need to work a lot with the rules text of that one.

~~~

Rock

Instant
Rock deals 2 damage to target player and 1 damage to each creature that player controls.
Fuse
//
Roll

Instant
Whenever a creature is dealt damage this turn, its controller sacrifices it and draws a card.
Fuse

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am 

Curse |
Sorcery {U}
Whenever a creature is dealt damage this turn, destroy it.
//
FUSE
//
Defile |
Sorcery {U}
Defile deals 1 damage to each creature and each player. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way.

EDIT: Thanks!

Last edited by Yarium on Thu May 01, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:36 am 

Should be "Defile Deals" not simply "Deal" :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:19 pm 

As much as I liked the play on words, I feel you're more of a realistic judge, than a humoristic judge (I feel like I'm playing apples to apples here). So I went with a card that follows the current Split card format...

Mix --
Instant (U)

Discard two cards then draw three cards.

xxFUSExx

Match --
Instant (U)

Target creature gets +1/+1 for each card you drew this turn and fights another target creature.

Spoiler

Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Fri May 02, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:49 pm 

Scum
Sorcery (U)
Put two 1/1 green Ooze creature tokens onto the battlefield.

///// FUSE /////

Villainy
Sorcery (U)
Each player sacrifices two creatures.

I really like this contest Flopfoot.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Drugs
Sorcery
Whenever a creature you control dies this turn, draw a card.
|¯FUSE¯|
Violence
Sorcery
Put two 3/1 red Elemental creature tokens with haste and trample onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature at end of turn."

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I might have made a card for this if it was possible for me to come up with a name.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 pm 

War :1::r:
Instant

Creatures target opponent controls must attack this turn if able.

//Fuse//

Peace :1::g:
Instant

Prevent all combat damage that would be done this turn.

botch
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 pm 

Back -
Instant
Target tapped creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn.
=====
Fuse
=====
Space -
Tap target creature. That creature can't be the target of spells and abilities its controller controls until end of turn and doesn't untap during its controller's next untap phase.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm 

Confused, if I may render some constructive criticism. The fuse seems anti-synergistic to me, because you always need to target two different creatures, one tapped and one untapped. (I can't think of a good reason you'd use both on the same guy.) The second half really wants to be used before attackers are declared, but then nothing is tapped for the first half. Also, the name would be "back and space"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:55 am 

Wizards' card was Turn // Burn. They took a bit of liberty with the name since the saying is usually "turn or burn", but you can't argue with the design. When fused and used together, you can destroy any creature that can be targeted - no worrying about toughness or indestructibility or even death triggers, which makes this card pretty unique. When fused and used on two different creatures you can get a nice two for one by blocking the guy who suddenly went Weird and burning another guy. The fact that the red half is playable on its own is good for versatility and it's a nice touch how the Weird is red, don't know why but I just like it.

Tevish Szat - This is a pretty brutal one sided mass removal spell. Drawing a bunch of cards is a small consolation. What I do like here though is that both halves are playable on their own, though the black one is kind of hard to manipulate because even if you use it in combat to trade your small dudes for your opponent's big dudes, he is probably drawing better cards that you if he's the control deck. (Wiz)

Yarium - Black wrath with a small upside to offset the asymmetry is nice color pie work. The Curse half isn't heaps useful by itself since it's a sorcery. You could use it right before another spell, but not much point when fuse does the same thing (unless the other spell is asymmetric maybe). You could use it before attacking, but then it's just worse than a spell that makes your creatures unblockable for a turn. (Wiz)

altimis - Yeah YmtC does feel like apples to apples sometimes. I don't get the "con and shun" joke, is it meant to be a pun? Match is an interesting card because although it's an instant, you normally need to cast it on your own turn for maximum benefit. The "+1/+1 and then fight" is a nice staple that's been in green a couple times. Mix seems fairly costed. The weird thing about this card though is when you use both halves together it feels like you're doing two completely different things. Sure you get +3/+3 before fighting, which is great, but what happens if you wanted that effect but you didn't want to discard your cards? (Draw)

Steinhauser - I noticed this card won card of the week, and I got to admit it's pretty great. Two tokens for two mana is a staple though sometimes surprisingly hard to get in green (how many times you cast Fists of Ironwood on an opponent's creature?) So it's nice to see it here with an upside. Villainy on its own is also good, though the sort of decks that run Barter in Blood don't usually run a lot of their own creatures, but sometimes it is worth it even if you do. The Fuse of course works great even if you are paying seven mana for what amounts to two Cruel Edicts. (NG)

ParadOxymoron - Nice design space having a mulitcolored half and a monocolored half, that could be good when we go to Bizzaralara. One shot Fecundity is good, forced unearth Hellspark Elemental is good, getting a free Divination when you do both is good, even though I have no sort of idea what sort of deck would want to have all those effects together, I'd probably run this in edh or something just to see what comes up. (NG)

storyteller - That's the most convoluted way I've seen of tapping all your opponent's creatures, which means Johnnies will lap it right up. It's pretty cool how the two halves are almost the opposites of each other when cast on their own. Too bad this would most likely just end up in turbofog decks without any red at all, but that's not the designer's fault. (NG)

Confused - You could get around the problem of not being able to target the same creature by making Back worded as "target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn if it's tapped." I'm not sure if blue should be reverse-hexproofing creatures, but frosting them is a pretty good standard. I guess the idea is you fuse this when someone attacks you with one creature and holds another back as a blocker? Nasty blowout, I guess that's what u/b is known for. Yeah the name is weird though I think eventually even Wizards will struggle to find good names for split cards. (Wiz)

Bunch of good designs this round. Another point for the no goblins team. Next criteria coming soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 am 

It's supposed to be read...
Con Fuse Shun

Instead of Con and Shun. I know it's not MtG applied, but it's a joke for a reason :p

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:16 am 

Ohhh right, totally missed that

This could be the final round if no goblins wins.

Criteria: Make a card that costs lots of mana but is worth it even if you have to hardcast it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 am 

Bounteous Will --
Enchantment (MR)

Permanents you control have hexproof.
Creatures you control get +10/+10.
Lands you control have "Untap this land: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only once each turn."

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next