It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 433  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:41 pm 

Oh hey speaking of things I haven't read, how many Ultimatums do you have now? Didn't you have anthology plans for those?

Three and a Half down.
Titanic has about half its composition down and the outline, though there are some hazy spots in the middle right now.
I have no clue how I'm going to approach Clarion.
Quote:
you're also a producer in the sense that you seem to be guiding a number of folks in the creation of their work, so don't stress too much.
I'm nosy as hell when it comes down to it.

Man your name is familiar. No idea why but it's nagging at the back of my mind.

You're probably crossing him over with Plane Shaper, who hasn't been sighted since January.... wonder what's up with that guy....

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm 

I was going to link you to the wiki faq but then I realized that the wiki doesn't officially exist yet so here's the Tumblr faq: http://magicexpandedmultiverse.tumblr.com/FAQ :V

What have you been working on OC wise?
Thank you for the tumblr-torial lol Hmm, let's see, I have a fair number of OCs I'm interested in telling about, but to keep the details minimal:

Note: Debatable details are in Red
Mnym A :ub: Merfolk :planeswalker: from Lethe Lake on Arkhos and a memory mage. Minus details, he becomes corrupted and and deranged, and manipulates people's memories for his own benefit.

Milov A :rw: Human :planeswalker: and philomancer from Ravnica A romanticist and lady's man who meets multiple women across the multiverse and engages in various different types of relations with them, causing trouble from time to time.

A :g: Human :planeswalker: who is either from Innistrad or visits there, and is bit by a Werewolf. In his confusion over his transformations, he bounces between planes trying to cope, before settling on Theros, where he discovers the theology on Theros, and seeks a boon from Pharika, God of Affliction to cure his lycanthropy. Upon performing the required tasks, he receives his "cure", however instead of ridding him of his bestial transformation altogether, it opened up the opportunity for him to experience things consciously as a Werewolf, allowing him to learn to control this form. Eventually the planeswalker winds up in Ravnica and spends some time with the Selesnya Conclave.

A :g: Orochi :planeswalker: explorer who is fascinated with and reveres nature, land, and mana (especially :g: mana) upon going to Zendikar, he learns to create or summon a locus of mana Omnath, Locus of Mana and while on Theros he begins to warm up to respect or even worship of Karametra, God of Harvests for her connection to the land and Kruphix, God of Horizons for his attachment to mana.

A :rw: :ur: Therosian Minotaur :planeswalker: whose parents were each affected by the blessings of a :w: or :u: Nyxborn/Nymph/Eidolon/Other. She in turn began to be affected by the lingering essence of these blessings when she began to come of age. She grew into a smarter, gentler minotaur over time. This caused her to become ostracized by her fellow Minotaurs, and while she looked to the Poleis, the humans would not accept her. Because she could behave in a civil manner, the humans did not slay her on the spot, but instead they exiled her to a labyrinth, with false promises to accept her upon her successful navigation through the labyrinth. Just before she would break down and pray to the dark god patron of her people, Mogis, God of Slaughter, the Spirit of the Labyrinth showed herself, and took pity on the minotaur and taught her all she could. Upon learning the concepts of magic, she made Flight her magic of choice, encouraging her to embrace the freedom she found from the neglect of the people whom she felt she might belong to, and cut her own path above the labyrinths of life.

A :r: Human :planeswalker: sparkmage and warmage whose spark ignited and took him away from the Immersturm on Valla, freeing him from the endless, ongoing war. While traveling the different planes, he sought to start his life anew, but his life as a warrior was all he knew, and he could not yet decide if his sensibilities would allow him to settle into a peaceful life or not. Through his story, he learns that while the Immersturm is literally infinite war, war is never only in the past. While it may not always appear in the same form, War is always in the present, or in the future, waiting to be resolved.

A :gw: Human Druid/Shaman :planeswalker: totem mage from Zendikar whose totem magic reflects his desire to bring the worlds of nature and society together, without harming either. He often adapts his totem magic to the unique, unseen beasts of other planes, as if to catalog these creatures in a mental menagerie.

Those are all my favored special snowflakes lol Sorry, briefness is not my forte, I hope each was short enough, and they didn't stack too badly. As for Settings, I have been interested in concepts for a Wild West plane, if there isn't a full-fledged Wild West plane already.

:b::g: Aran: Drow Archer Wizard :planeswalker: :g::w: Zilin Kast: Half-Elf Druid :planeswalker: :u::b: Valin Drom: Egomage :planeswalker: :r: Raff: Crimson Mage :planeswalker: :r::g: Chrysanos: Leonin Wildmage :planeswalker: :w::b: Whulsi: Loxodon Healer :planeswalker:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:10 pm 

You know how I weigh in on these.
For the record, so everyone will know, I'm the cause of much of the red text up there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:20 pm 

Well, red text or not, I'm looking forward to some stories!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:27 pm 

As for Settings, I have been interested in concepts for a Wild West plane, if there isn't a full-fledged Wild West plane already.

Hmm. I'm not sure we have anything like that. Nothing like that at all.

(Basically, anything labelled "Jakkard" would be a good starting point if you're into that sort of thing.)

Wild West Plane, huh? What a cooky thought! :V

I'll comment more on your characters as they are discussed individually. I would like to say, however, that length is certainly not an object on these forums! Many of use are long-winded and given to rambling. It just sort of comes with the territory. :)

EDIT: Added some things. You know how it is.

Last edited by RuwinReborn on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:29 pm 

As for Settings, I have been interested in concepts for a Wild West plane, if there isn't a full-fledged Wild West plane already.

Hmm. I'm not sure we have anything like that.

Wild West Plane, huh? What a cooky thought! :V

I'll comment more on your characters as they are discussed individually. I would like to say, however, that length is certainly not an object on these forums! Many of use are long-winded and given to rambling. It just sort of comes with the territory. :)

Yep.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
If there's any of those characters in particular you're interested in developing, you should start a thread for them! There's a few that do seem interesting and worth exploring a little more. Just so you know, we're trying to keep pretty canon-compatible here so some stuff might have to be changed to jive with what we know (or to compensate for the stuff that we don't know--like setting a story on Valla would probably not be a great plan since we know so little about the plane).

I'm kind of in charge of Jakkard, the Western world. We actually have a bunch of stories set there already so if you're into westerns I think you'll have a lot to keep you occupied. Development on that plane is kind of wrapping up at the moment but you might want to take a turn through the threads Ruwin linked to and see whether there's anything you can add.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:29 pm 

Identity: Human
Hello, Planechaser!

Bathroom's down the Infinite Corridor on your left, we use the right to keep paintings of the old M:EMperors. We kept running out of room in the lobby. The Archives are up the stairs, first door down. You can't miss it, we keep it open most of the time. Watch that first step if you do miss it, though; we've had a few head injuries. The library is still under construction, and that will be on the fourth floor when it's finished. You'll find we use the third floor for important business, but anything in the first two are open to any shenanigans you feel up to. Just don't party too hard, Barinellos tends to eat noisy revelers.

If you're interested in wild west stories, you might do well to tell our helper-bot in the Archives. Just give him the code [Jakkard], and he should set you up. Remember those brackets, though, machines are real sticklers for proper syntax. I'd recommend Two Bullets and a Pocketful of Hate for a long one, or perhaps Love and Theft for a shorter, more planar-centric story. I'm also fond of Down to the Valley and The Rail-Runners myself, two excellent little poems I'd recommend in a heartbeat.

I'm of half a mind to continue that insane rant. That was honestly rather fun to think up.

Oh, and btw, thanks guys, for making me feel guilty now about not being caught up on anything despite not actually producing anything. At least I can blame meatspace...

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 pm 

Hello, Planechaser!

Bathroom's down the Infinite Corridor on your left, we use the right to keep paintings of the old M:EMperors. We kept running out of room in the lobby.

In fairness, most of those are just various portraits of me over and over again so...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 pm 

If there's any of those characters in particular you're interested in developing, you should start a thread for them! There's a few that do seem interesting and worth exploring a little more. Just so you know, we're trying to keep pretty canon-compatible here so some stuff might have to be changed to jive with what we know (or to compensate for the stuff that we don't know--like setting a story on Valla would probably not be a great plan since we know so little about the plane).
Oh ok, I'm aware there's a lot of rocking the boat back and forth before a character is kosher, and no offense to Barinellos, but 2nd and 3rd opinions would still be awesome. I do intend to at least post one. If no one minds me asking, which one is best when it comes to peaking interest, being discussable, and needing not too much debating and tweaking to be accepted, at a glance? Secondly, is there a template for characters and other things?

I'm kind of in charge of Jakkard, the Western world. We actually have a bunch of stories set there already so if you're into westerns I think you'll have a lot to keep you occupied. Development on that plane is kind of wrapping up at the moment but you might want to take a turn through the threads Ruwin linked to and see whether there's anything you can add.
lol I'm not a huge fan of westerns per se, but as a fan-made concept for Magic, the one(s) used for Wild West setting sound genius a LOT of the time.

I'm of half a mind to continue that insane rant. That was honestly rather fun to think up.
lol They usually are. Thanks for the welcoming lol Oh yeah, how do I go about making a signature? It's said the User Control Panel, but can't find anything of the sort in there.

:b::g: Aran: Drow Archer Wizard :planeswalker: :g::w: Zilin Kast: Half-Elf Druid :planeswalker: :u::b: Valin Drom: Egomage :planeswalker: :r: Raff: Crimson Mage :planeswalker: :r::g: Chrysanos: Leonin Wildmage :planeswalker: :w::b: Whulsi: Loxodon Healer :planeswalker:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm 

User CP > Profile > Edit Signature. Should be on the left.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
Your Orochi actually sounds interesting and not as inherently dangerous as far as its intersections with canon. I tend to like nonhuman characters, actually, so that's who I'd gravitate to... although right now you have more a list of abilities than a character per se. So that's what I'd be curious to see you expand upon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 pm 

Your Orochi actually sounds interesting and not as inherently dangerous as far as its intersections with canon. I tend to like nonhuman characters, actually, so that's who I'd gravitate to... although right now you have more a list of abilities than a character per se. So that's what I'd be curious to see you expand upon.
I suppose that's true. There's also PLENTY of room for the character traits to bloom. Anyway, again, thanks for the welcomes and greetings. I hope to become a part of it all pretty soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:05 pm 

So, yeah, I salvaged my character-naming mini essay.

Giving a character a name is, I find, one of the hardest parts of inventing a new character, yet it is also one of the most important and one of the easiest for new writers to make a mistake in. In general, there are a few rules I have found for naming characters, many of which also apply for giving names to other entities (Places and things) as well. Before I get into those, though, I shall say that the golden rule is this: you must be able to pronounce it. That is not to say that it cannot be difficult or trying: 'Cthulhu' for instance is not immediatley obvious in its pronunciation, but as an approximation of an alien sound it does its job just fine, and certainly the version designed for human mouths can, in fact, be pronounced by humans.

The first rule is the matter of length: A characters name has no strict length limit, but the best I find are two or three syllables, with four at the outside. Any more than this should generally be avoided, or if there is a good reason why a character would have a monsterously long name, they should be given a nickname to which they can be easily refered, even in the narrative itself.

The second is to content. Certainly, most fantasy names are uncommon, and there is some temptation in the search for exoticness to have a name not only be long, but contain various strange characters and diacritical marks that are not commonly found in English. In most cases, this is a mistake -- I allow, in general, one bizarre character per name, and then only if it is used correctly. The marks that I tend to see, and might allow are as follows

': With very little doubt, the humble apostrophe is the most overused bit of punctiation found in fantastic names, perhaps because it can be safely added without violating the zeroth rule that names should be able to be pronounced. In reality, the apostrophe has one proper use and that is contraction: I bear no rancor towards "F'lar" from the Dragonriders of Pern, because his name is explicitly contracted. In fantasy names, though, there is a second potential use of the apostrophe, and that is to represent a glottal stop, because there is no better way to represent the sound. This still does not excuse using more than one.

-: A hyphen is a connector, and when used indicates that two (or more) separate parts are being put together. In most cases, though, why not use a space? There are a few legitimate, stylistic reasons: a hyphen can be used when, in concept, there is a compounding going on without contraction.

è: The Accent Grave forces a stress. Most commonly, it should be used on a terminal e such as is the difference between Niume (Nigh-oom) and Niumè (Nigh-oom-eh). If you know french and suspect your readership will too, I guess you can use it elsewhere.

Other Accents: Not generally kosher, as they're usually chosen more for look than for sound. Lim-Dûl, you may have noted by now, violates my rules for naming. and you know what? If he were a MEM character I might ask: "Why not Lim Duul, or even Lim-Dul?". And god have mercy on you if you start STACKING accents and diacriticals, because I will have none.

T̂ͯͣͬͫͮ̚͏̮h̬̯̬ͤͭ͠i̝̲ŝ̗̰͔ͬ̈ͤͬ̑̈́ͅ ̟̪͎̳͎̐̍̎͌̃ͥ̚m̮̙̟̪͈̮ͣ͆̈͂̊̎͑͠e̩͍͔̎̉̑ͭͤͨͨs͔̤͖͈̞̳̄ͭ̒̑́s͖͉̙̺̼̟̣ͥ̓̍ͤ́ ̧͎̽ͦ̓ͧs͓̦̱͙̞̔̅̄͒ͩ̆͟h̜͔͈̙͎̞́͂̈́͆̾o̩͑͑̽ͩ̂ͬu̢̟͔͚͉͍̿̾ͣ͑̏̈́ḻ͐̋̍̓̾͡d̽͊ͨ͋ ̀̀̀N͇̙͔͉̫ͥͧ̌E̞͖̻̝̒̾̇͌̊̅̀V̠̣̬̹̝̀ͤ̔ͥͥͥͦE̠̳̻͙͎͎͎̐̓͗ͪ̓͐R̙͙̯̞̱̈̉ͧ͞ ͈̘̘͎̠͓͂͂̎̎̽͐͞b̼̼̪̠͎e̡ͧͮ̿ͫ̂̔̎ ͣ͒̈́̇s͔̦̦̝̘̈͑̒ͥͦ̊eͣ͗ͩĕ͓͙͛̐ͭ͐̏ͥͅņ̥

!: The exclemation point is the only character that is not at least a standard english letter underneath that can be used in place of one. Specifically, ! represents a "Click" as you see in some african languages. Don't take it appearing on this list as free reign to use it: there had better be a DARN good reason.

These are the strong rules of Name Creation. What follows are Suggestions for the Creation of Good Names.

The third rule is that you should use cross-cultural conventions where appropiate. Modling a name after an existant language is a VERY powerful tool, because it immediatley says a lot about the character and where the character is from. In fact, I find that earth or earthlike names have more power of description than totally fictitious ones. For example compare these names: Llywen, Poltina, Tlalaxa. All are female names, and atleast quickly recognizable as such, but they have different cultural associations. The first, Llywen, is evocative of the British Isles (Specifically Wales), while the second, Poltina, evokes a more scandanavian or eastern european feel with its conventions -- it's a harsher name because of its associations as well as its sounds. The last, Tlalaxa instantly brings with it the entire Mayincatec look and feel.

The fourth (and final, for now) rule is to have consistancy in your naming: Aerith and Bob is not, I repeat, not desireable. Don't make a distinction to readers unless you want things to be distinct: It's okay to have names cut from a different cloth when the characters themselves are, but characters with similar backgrounds (if they aren't cosmopolitan) shouldn't have completley dissimilar names.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 pm 

-: A hyphen is a connector, and when used indicates that two (or more) separate parts are being put together. In most cases, though, why not use a space? There are a few legitimate, stylistic reasons: a hyphen can be used when, in concept, there is a compounding going on without contraction.

So, just out of curiosity, do you think I made a mistake with Kahr-ret-Taris?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 pm 

It's an interesting name. I'm sort of of the opinion that most rules CAN be broken and the trick is knowing when you should and why. So the question is not so much what you did, but why you did it.

I will generally express more hardline opinions in didactic materials because it's best to teach the rules and assume that someone who develops to the next level knows that they can be broken. Sort of like you get told "never go over 60 cards" but a tournament player can come up with the 66 special and make it work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 pm 

It's an interesting name. I'm sort of of the opinion that most rules CAN be broken and the trick is knowing when you should and why. So the question is not so much what you did, but why you did it.

I will generally express more hardline opinions in didactic materials because it's best to teach the rules and assume that someone who develops to the next level knows that they can be broken. Sort of like you get told "never go over 60 cards" but a tournament player can come up with the 66 special and make it work.

Oh, I agree. I always tell my students that you learn the rules so that you can understand when to break them. I was just curious what you thought of that one in particular. I like it, personally (of course, I would, wouldn't I?) but I will admit that typing it is more awkward than most of my character names.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 pm 

Secondly, is there a template for characters and other things?

We're actually discussing just that in another recent thread. There's been a lot of variation in what people have included and one of the things we need to nail down is just what needs to be "standard" in characters. I think we're more lenient towards planes, or it could just be that we're completely lost as to what common threads between planes are.

@ Tevish: I remember reading that a while back and mentally bookmarking it for future reference. Never have re-read it since, you know, I haven't been naming much of anything -_-;

Also, I'm thinking of collecting links to all these helpful posts to compile in one place. Not sure where to do so, yet.

Also, also: Guys, I realized/remembered why I started putting off uploading the Archives in the first place. I can't properly link stories in that flow chart without reading them, and also a lot of the older stuff needs a read-through to catch typos that don't show up in spellcheckers anyway. I just formatted all 5 (I had thought there were only 4 >.>) of Molcru's stories and I don't know now whether I should read through all five to see what chronological order they occurred in (as well as if any other M:EM chars/planes are mentioned) or to upload them with a reminder to myself to give them a read-through later. A little advice?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 pm 

@Luna: While I feel it's ultimately up to you, I would lean toward posting them as-is, and worrying about fixing them later. One trick you might try is to use the archivist account to post them (as you normally would) and then go into all the stories you have read with this account, but not into the unread ones. That way, the forum itself will tell you what you haven't read.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 pm 

Oh, no, I'm keeping a running list.

So far, State of Decay needs a read through (I spied some missing periods when I was formatting it);
Both Planes of the Dual Walkers and The Hermit's Burden need the [p] tags added;
Adrisar needs the text formatting I said I would do to it all those months ago;
Skin Deep may need [p] tags, but that might mess with the presentation (I'm not decided)
Erik and the Wishmonger may need a presentation upgrade (I just don't like those spoiler blocks)
Small Magic needs to be broken up because there's a formatting error (and I've removed all signatures in the Archives) and it won't let me do that if a post has >60k characters in it.

Somehow I managed to post Small Magic in the first place with >71k characters. 0_0
I have no idea how.

And those are just the ones that don't need to be given a read-through.

QUICK-EDIT: I thought I should also mention that I need to look into Keeper's freeware program recommendation list to duplicate that Archive inter-connectivity chart and maybe somehow make it open to M:EMbers to add things in. Of course, that was supposed to become a non-issue when the wiki goes up.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 433  Next