It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:43 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
So, on WotC, I had a thread for all my designs just for the heck of it. I thought it was better than creating new threads for every design that passed through my mind. Mostly because a lot of the designs weren't exactly revolutionary, and partly because I was never a big fan of seeing ten new threads by a single person each day. That just tends to muddle things up to me. Guess I should start it up again...

Unpolished Gem --
Artifact
Remembrance (Cards that share a name with Unpolished Gem cost less to cast for each card named Unpolished Gem in all graveyards.)
, : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Sacrifice Unpolished Gem: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

~SE++

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 pm 

Identity: Male
Nifty. One mana cheaper than most mana rocks, but to actually produce mana, instead of filtering it, you need to discard the thing. Which of course sets up your next gem.
Personally I would change the name to either reflect the remembrance aspect, or the filtering aspect. Ideally both. Maybe "Heirloom/ Lost/ Ancient/ Prototype/ Apprentice's" "Lens/ Mirror/ Crystal" would be better?
Edit- Wait I got it. The first gem is unpolished, but subsequent ones work better.
Remembrance is a neat mechanic. Here it could potentially be used to go infinite, somehow. But the setup required to get all those other gems into the graveyard plus the effort to recur the card makes it too difficult to abuse early game. Shouldn't Remembrance be "~ costs 1 less to cast..."?
Edit- Nominated for CotW.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm 

Yeah, the name and mechanic both need to be worked out..... "polished" as one might say. :V

But I was a bit upset at the concept of YMtC drifting away, so I figured I had better start adding content again.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 pm 

I like remembrance. For a names matter mechanic is above the usual bar. (Looking at you ripple.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
I like it.
I like it a lot.

MOAR REMEMBRANCE. I like cards like that Diligent Farmhand, that Rite of Flame etc.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 am 

altimis wrote:
MOAR REMEMBRANCE.

I like the mechanic, but design-wise, there's not much it will do besides make themed cards. The designs are gonna end up being... lackluster aside from the mechanic. Anywho:

Creature - Avatar
Avatar of War's has power and toughness equal to the highest of each type among creatures on the battlefield.
Avatar of War can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
Its rage is fueled by everyone around it.
*/*

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 am 

I like it, in theory, but in application it seems rather tedious.
Very similar to Coat of Arms. I love the card, but it's always confusing to work with.

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am 

The wording is weird so I'm not sure whether this means to say

"highest number of creatures of the same creature type"

or

"highest power among creatures on the battlefield; highest toughness among creatures on the battlefield"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:14 am 

Now that I look at it, it seems like it's the latter. That's much more manageable.

Stolen from Suture Ghoul
"Avatar of War's power is equal to the greatest power of the creatures on the battlefield, and its toughness is equal to the greatest toughness."

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:14 am 

Flopfoot wrote:
"highest power among creatures on the battlefield; highest toughness among creatures on the battlefield"

Yeah, that one. I shouldn't do this at 3:00 am. Anyone wanna help reword this.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 am 

If there's a 5/5 on the field and the 5/5 dies, does it still consider itself "5/5" at that point, thus, being the greatest power/toughness on board, remain a 5/5?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

The intent was for it to grow and shrink, so I really need better wording. The flavor of it was to take the greatest power of other creatures and the same with its toughness, but when all other creatures are dead, it dies as well since there is no one fighting on the battlefield.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:59 pm 

So you could do it during upkeeps (would be the cleanest I think)

Or...
Say "power equal to greatest power among other creatures" to prevent it sustaining itself.

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:14 pm 

When ~ enters the battlefield, or at the beginning of each end step, ~'s power becomes equal to the highest power among other creatures and its toughness becomes equal to the highest power among other creatures plus 1.
Choose end step because this will update after combat but before the next upkeep, but it could easily be upkeep instead. Also choose toughness plus 1, because if their are no other creatures I believe this becomes a 0/0. Thus no other creatures, its a 0/1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 pm 

Greatest power among other creatures

Then you don't have to worry about self reference. When it becomes undefined it should go back to zero.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 pm 

Let's take another stab at the wording:

Unpolished Gem --
Artifact
Remembrance (Unpolished Gem costs less to cast for each card that shares a name with it in all graveyards.)
, : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Sacrifice Unpolished Gem: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Creature - Avatar
Avatar of War's power is equal to the highest power among other creatures on the battlefield.
Avatar of War's toughness is equal to the highest toughness among other creatures on the battlefield.
Avatar of War can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
Its rage is fueled by everyone around it.
*/*

As far as leaving it as a 0/1, the flavor of it was supposed to be that it goes away if there is no war on the battlefield. I'd rather it go to a 0/0 when the last other creature leaves the battlefield.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 am 

You should be able to combine the two abilites. They did it with Suture Ghoul. It cuts down on words :)

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:46 am 

Yavimaya Kavu would suggest since they are bound to different sources they need to be separate abilities.

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:48 pm 

Send Through Angelfire --
Sorcery
Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. ~ deals X damage to that creature.
"Feel the light cleanse your sins."
--Razia, Boros Archangel

~SE++

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 am 

Yavimaya Kavu would suggest since they are bound to different sources they need to be separate abilities.

~SE++

With Suture Ghoul, you are looking at a single group of cards (cards exiled via Suture Ghoul) for two values.
With Yavimaya Kavu, you are looking at two different groups of cards (red creatures, and green creatures) for one value each.
Your card is looking at one group of cards for two values. I'm not saying I'm right, that's just my logic.

This is obviously a very miniscule thing, and it makes no difference whatsoever. But I was mostly hoping someone would know of some rule or something and tell me straight. :p

--xx--

Send Through Angelfire is an interesting twist on a burn spell. It would stink in a set filled with Thragtusk-esque cards; but it would be awesome in a set filled with Necrogen Scudder-esque cards (or aura happy).

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next