It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Monoblue primer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm 

It could certainly be that Selesnya tokens is a bad matchup (I don't recall playing against it much on the monoblue side either), but still: how is monoblue supposed to play against an aggressive opponent using the Martin Juza strategy:

Quote:
The key to this matchup [White aggro vs. Monoblue] is to try to race them instead of trying to answer their guy with Curious Obsession. This forces them to keep mana up for cards like Dive Down and Spell Pierce without advancing their board too much, but if you ignore it and instead keep playing more creatures and attacking, you are using your mana much more effectively.

So basically with any deck, you just rush out of the gates and try to goldfish as fast as possible. If they have Curious Obsession, so be it. If they leave up mana to protect their creature, fine, you use all of yours and take the lead that way. If they don't leave up mana, then you kill it. This strategy looks grim for the monoblue deck because aside from 4 Opt and 4 Merfolk Trickster, they can't actually advance their board if they leave up mana unless they have a counterspell. In the meantime, the monoblue deck is beating you down with 1/1s and 2/2s, hardly a fast clock.

Maybe the monoblue deck should consider raising their curve and running more flash creatures (Whisper Agent??).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:50 pm 

Queued into monoblue two more times, lost both times. They had Curious Obsession both games, but the real key creature was actually Tempest Djinn. That has always been the big stick in the monoblue deck, and there's no way pre-board for the tokens deck to beat a Tempest Djinn backed with Dive Down and such.

I still think monoblue is an inconsistent deck, but sometimes when its draw lines up well it just wins.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:32 pm 

My experience against mono-blue is basically they have curious obsession and win or they don't and they lose.
Last times I played against the deck, I was playing a mono-white 18 land deck and counterspells aren't very efficient against 1-drops so they just got overwhelmed, even with multiple djinns.
If you can put enough threats on the board so that they are forced to play actively instead of reactively, they're in a tight spot.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
They play Curious, I play Bonds. Most of the time meeting this deck I am playing my mono white.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:15 am 

Definitely cannot recommend this deck for anything other than grinding free play (and for f2p players I guess). It's just way too fragile. When it works it looks great, but if you're on the draw and opponent plays T2 Runaway Steam-Kin, it's just game over. Half the deck also needs the other half to function, making it very inconsistent, e.g. if you open a land with 3 lands, Siren Stormtamer and 3 permission spells, that hand is barely keepable. Or maybe you have a hand with 3 lands, Exclusion Mage, Tempest Djinn, and 2 Dive Down, and again the hand is barely keepable. You'll have hands where you drew Essence Scatter and opponent played Cast Down, or hands where you drew Dive Down and opponent played Ritual of Soot, or hands where you have all creatures without protection/Curious Obsession, or even worse where you have all protection without creatures. Overall it's just too fragile.

I took it for a few runs in quick constructed and went something like 2-3, 2-3, 3-3. Some of the games were undoubtedly winnable (the deck is hard), and I also got cards like Ritual of Soot played against me (which is not usually a card in B/G maindeck), but many of the losses were not salvagable. Monored in particular is a really bad matchup.

That said, it's good for grinding quickplay since the algorithm still matches you up against people on even worse decks. It doesn't happen all the time (queued into B/G a couple of times), but it happens often enough that this is still a good first deck to craft. It's possible that White Weenie is even better, but that deck needs several mythics and rares, while this only needs four rares.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:17 am 

Monoblue with "nut draw" against Selesnya tokens board state at end of game. Turn 1 Herald into three (!) Curious Obsession not strong enough, RIP Monoblue.

Like this post