It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:43 pm 

Banedon wrote:
You guys going to 7 wins ... I can barely make 3. So envious. I just can't make head or tail of ZNR draft.

Sorry I should have written three wins. I've switched to traditional drafting after reading the comments in this thread.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:08 pm 

I drafted 7 clerics pack 1, and only 1 pack 2 so I pivoted to a BW Party deck. Pack 3 pick 8 and 9 I finally get 2 Farsight Adepts to round out the party but I had a complete deck by then. I've cut 1 of the 3 Kor Celebrants I had but what do I cut for the last Wizard? I don't want to cut any more clerics, I've only got 9 left and 1 of them is a land. The other two land cards are removal so I'm not counting them. My first thought is an Allied Assault. The greedy option is a Plains, but that puts my removal at risk of being used as a land or mulligan more. The curve tops out at 4 so it is an option. I guess a more reasonable option would be expedition skulker.

1 x Kitesail Cleric

1 x Expedition Healer
1 x Expedition Skulker
1 x Cleric of Life's Bond
1 x Malakir Blood-Priest
1 x Acquisitions Expert

1 x Demon's Disciple
2 x Farsight Adept
2 x Kor Celebrant
1 x Nimana Skydancer

2 x Emeria Captain
1 x Legion Angel
1 x Orah, Skyclave Hierophant

1 x Kabira Takedown
1 x Feed the Swarm
1 x Nahiri's Binding
1 x Hagra Mauling
1 x Smite the Monstrous

1 x Blood Beckoning
2 x Allied Assault

1 x Skyclave Cleric
8 x Plains
8 x Swamp

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:47 pm 

So I drafted this... its not so good or anything but I think it could run the mile, any thoughts ?

I kinda like the indestructible spell, I think the Demons disciple is the cut... but not sure... also I´m thinking about running 17 lands here.. only one MDFC.

this is for BO3

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:50 pm 

sixty4half wrote:
I drafted 7 clerics pack 1, and only 1 pack 2 so I pivoted to a BW Party deck. Pack 3 pick 8 and 9 I finally get 2 Farsight Adepts to round out the party but I had a complete deck by then. I've cut 1 of the 3 Kor Celebrants I had but what do I cut for the last Wizard? I don't want to cut any more clerics, I've only got 9 left and 1 of them is a land. The other two land cards are removal so I'm not counting them. My first thought is an Allied Assault. The greedy option is a Plains, but that puts my removal at risk of being used as a land or mulligan more. The curve tops out at 4 so it is an option. I guess a more reasonable option would be expedition skulker.

1 x Kitesail Cleric

1 x Expedition Healer
1 x Expedition Skulker
1 x Cleric of Life's Bond
1 x Malakir Blood-Priest
1 x Acquisitions Expert

1 x Demon's Disciple
2 x Farsight Adept
2 x Kor Celebrant
1 x Nimana Skydancer

2 x Emeria Captain
1 x Legion Angel
1 x Orah, Skyclave Hierophant

1 x Kabira Takedown
1 x Feed the Swarm
1 x Nahiri's Binding
1 x Hagra Mauling
1 x Smite the Monstrous

1 x Blood Beckoning
2 x Allied Assault

1 x Skyclave Cleric
8 x Plains
8 x Swamp

What else you got on the pool?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm 

Another celebrant in clerics.
A Banneret, a 3/1 white and a 4/3 black warriors.
Kitesail
Zerith San
Into the Roil and some blue creatures
The 7/5 Warrior Artifact
Rakdos Equipment
Utility Blade
A couple lifelike Bats with Kicker
Base Camp

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:10 pm 

I hate adept... I'm always happy when my opponent cast him, I would cut him for the 3rd celebrant, the rest seems fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:41 pm 

So I drafted this... its not so good or anything but I think it could run the mile, any thoughts ?

I kinda like the indestructible spell, I think the Demons disciple is the cut... but not sure... also I´m thinking about running 17 lands here.. only one MDFC.

this is for BO3

I'd cut the ambusher, and then 1 Skydancer for the Scorch Rider

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 am 

I hate adept... I'm always happy when my opponent cast him, I would cut him for the 3rd celebrant, the rest seems fine.

Hate is such a strong word. Especially for Gandalf.

The deck (except Celebrant) is very aggressive. I'm actually considering cutting celebrant because it slows the deck down but I dont because he triggers the Priest. A 3/3 for 3 is an above average stat. Only 4 creatures (that I can think of off top of my head) at 1 and 2 cmc can kill it by themselves. It can kill a lot of 4+cmc creatures. Like there are a grip of X/3s in this set.

In the early game helps me keep the pressure on, and in the late game it might find what I need a turn earlier or let me double spell when I normally wouldn't.

Hes Gandalf because hes the only White Wizard. If you find yourself unexpectedly out of a Warrior or Cleric deck you were trying to build, hes one of the few options you have to slide into a Party of 4. Warriors has a few options in R, but hes all you can get in BW.

That brings us to the last part, card draw parity. There just isnt any other card advantage options in white. Black has one and it costs life, but white doesnt (iirc). If we were pod drafting, I'd also say I saw half the cards they saw and I have the superior deck, so drawing is better for me than them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:50 am 

One of the best things that clerics do is to race... But they race with life gain, you got good flyers to deal damage in the air + the drain so the 1/4 becomes one great blocker one wizard is just fine.
For card advantage you got the kick ass cleric that picks up little clerics from the GY and Beaconing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:37 am 

I compromise and dropped 1 Gandalf. The deck went 3-3 in Bo1 which is what I expected out of that deck. I had all the Go Into Cleric signals pack 1 and it just dried up after that

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed this combo before.

ImageImage

Vial gains life to generate a 1/1 token that you can chump and sac on opps turn to draw a card, and the death trigger gains life to generate a 1/1 token, rinse and repeat each turn cycle at the cost of :2:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 am 

Modulo wrote:
Really tough pick, and a lot depends on what you saw pack 1. You're most definitely Black at this point, but your second colour is almost entirely up for grabs.

Options are, in my opinion:
1) Bala Ged Recovery, moving into Green and splashing Red for an MDFC value pile.
2) Fissure Wizard, moving into Red and drafting RB Allies. Spellcraft would also commit you to Red, but it's expensive and you're not set up well for RB Allies payoff cards yet. Similar arguments for Wizard > Mace, plus you have a chance to wheel that card out of the pack (only RB wants it)
3) Blood Beckoning, still keeping your options open
4) Into the Roil, taking Zulaport and Roil out of your sideboard and steering towards UB.

Which one of these calls is right depends on the signals received in pack 1.

Took the green MDFC and did indeed wind up in a BGr deck. It was pretty good. I still went only 6-3 though. I lost one game to the UB 4/4 rogue that steals permanents from opponent's graveyard (which is a ridiculous card I wish they'd stop printing), another because opponent had the red MDFC fling to deal the last 7 points of damage. I should have lived that one because I had lifegain in hand, but I'd chosen a different line because I forgot Zagras gave deathtouch. To be fair though, several of my opponents also forgot Zagras gave deathtouch.

Drafting in quick draft seems a lot easier than in premier draft.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 am 

Almost time to cash in the prize packs. I have 126 rares that I don't own and I have 123 packs.

I've gone 1-3 0-3 2-3 and 7-2 today. **** game

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 pm 

I finally hit 7 wins with this deck! I'm so proud of myself :D

Spoiler

Roost of Drakes is one hell of a bomb. Like, Ravenous Chupacabra was a "mythic uncommon", yet it was at most a 2-for-1 and after its ETB effect it barely affects the board. But if Roost of Drakes sticks, you almost win. It's a very strong card, if I remember right I pivoted into UG for it after the mostly mono-G start.

EDIT: Wow, I was so confident I went into premier draft next and wound up with this pile I can't build. P1P1 Vine Gecko, P1P2 Magmatic Channeler, P1P3 Grakmaw, and then I just had no idea what to draft. Premier draft sure is harder than quick draft, at least in quick draft you got clear signals of what to draft.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:33 pm 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8jb63kwgnn4h ... 1.mp4?dl=0

I've still not reached any 7-win streaks in ZNR. I don't know why but I need help figuring it out. It feels like even if I draft a good deck I still can't reach 7 wins. Here's a video of a draft I did, with my thoughts about it:

1. I've never seen Linvala, but I don't see why she wouldn't be P1P1. She's a 3-mana 3/3 flyer with abilities, which looks strong. Of course I'm looking to draft UW party with the other uncommon now.
2. Having already taken Linvala, the white MDFC looks pretty obvious, followed by another white party payoff.
3. P1P4, I could take Tazeem Roilmage, but since I am drafting party, Skyclave Plunder looks like a good choice. I don't have any instants or sorceries yet for the Roilmage. I get passed the Roilmage next pick anyway.
4. At this point I'm solidly UW. Tazeem Raptor's a good card in landfall decks which I am not, so I take Geysermage.
5. P1P7 should not matter. I take the Cleric next over Shell Shield since it's a party creature, followed by Duelist for the same reason.

After pack 1: white doesn't seem especially open. Blue does, however. Pack 2:

1. I could take the rare land and potentially splash red, but I have no red cards worth playing right now and Windrider Wizard isn't bad, so I take the uncommon.
2. P2P2 Umara Wizard is very obvious, P2P3 is harder. I don't think the White MDFC is very good so I pass on it. Paired Tactician has no Warriors to go with it, so it's between Field Research and the Stalker. I took the Field Research, not sure if it's right.
3. Next pack is mono bad cards so I speculate on the red MDFC. P2P5 another captain is very good although I am passing a Bubble Snare when I still have no removal. Still Nahiri's Binding & Bubble Snare are both commons, so I might still see them. P2P6 Kabira Takedown should be obvious. It looks like White is open one way and cut the other way.
4. P2P7 they're all bad so take the bad Quench because what else am I going to take? P2P8 Expedition Diviner is a good pickup, P2P10 take the Seafloor Stalker because I already have strong card draw spells, and rest of the pack is straightforward.

Pack 3: I'm expecting blue to be open but not white.

1. P3P1: more mono bad cards. Take the Healer because there's nothing else. Shepherd of Heroes is a good White card so I take that next.
2. I'm passed the UW uncommon which is great of course but I already have good card draw spells, so I take the Skydiver.
3. P3P4: problem here is that I literally have no removal right now, so take Bubble Snare over the White MDFC.
4. Rest of the draft seems straightforward.

I don't think I want to splash red because it's just Synchronized Spellcraft, and I'd have to run two Mountains to fit that in. Before I play, my impressions are the deck looks mediocre, and I'd expect a record of 3-3 or so. On the other hand, I don't see what I could've done different.

Help anyone?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:52 pm 

I cant view the video, its 0 seconds long. Might be me trying to watching it on their website instead of on the app, and on my phone.

My personally view is that Linvala is a trap. I've never drafted a good UW party deck and I've tried a couple times. Linvala could be good in a UW flyers deck but anyone in U or W will be sniping flyers. I just dont have UW decks high on the tier list as there is very little coherent synergy.

Shes probably best as a splash in RU wizards. P1p1 I'd probably take removal over her.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
It’s working for me on my phone. I dont have the video app either, just using safari

I’m not super big on Linvala. She’s fine as 3/3 flyer for 3, but I think UW is one of the worst color pairs this set. I think her other text is largely irrelevant in limited - you’re rarely going to have the full party trigger. While the sac ability may be useful in some spots, sweepers are fringe in limited, and your 3 power flyer will often be the thing targeted with spot removal anyways.

Pack 1 wasn’t super amazing, but I prob would have taken the wizard artifact or even Attended Healer. Taking linvala there wants you to commit to two colors right away (different story if you drafted strong U and W cards already and open her pack 2 or 3). Artifact and healer keep you more open, are great in their respective synergy decks, and can still be playable outside the dedicated WB clerics or UR wizard decks (aka WG or UB)

I’ve only seen P1P1 so far tho

EDIT: finished pack 1. I would have taken wizard artifact P1P1 and had an ok start after pack 1 (the 2/2 looter was next pick, then bounce wizard and roilmages were in there) but I wouldn’t be set with a 2nd color yet. At this point, I don’t think you did anything bad. I don’t like Linvala P1P1 but think that’s preference related to some degree (aka I’m also a big fan of wizard artifact) and not like a guaranteed You Done Goofed pick. Three 1/3 U clerics is pretty bad but it’s not like passed over amazing cards for them. Packs passed were pretty meh

EDIT 2: OMG 2nd wizard artifact P2P5 - Id be feeling pretty darn good in the wizard deck :rofl:

EDIT 3: ping wizard P3P1 :party: And some 2nd tier R removal coming round late in pack 2. At this point, the angel captains and Linvala could carry you to some wins but the wizard deck would be looking better I think. Clerics would have been a bust if taken Attendant Healer. I saw at least 2 feed the swarms but none of the staple cleric pieces aside from healer. Might have landed WG, as green seemed pretty open

FINAL EDIT: idk, I don’t think you did anything egregiously wrong. I don’t like UW party but I think you drafted about the best version that was passed around. On build at the end, I like the 2nd outrider over the 1st seer. Buffing a flyer ETB is better for your win plans I think

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:11 am 

Oh my God, completely didn't see the Wizard artifact both times. I think the Outrider over Seer call is good as well, in six games so far it's overperformed. The deck itself has overperformed, since it's 4-2 and I was expecting 3 wins. Still, my games have been:

Game 1: miss some early drops, am forced into bad trades (had to trade my Expedition Diviner for opponent's Vine Gecko), and never catch up on tempo.
Game 2: opponent mana screwed.
Game 3: opponent mana screwed.
Game 4: opponent mulligans to six, then plays land, land, BW cleric x2. I concede before my 3rd draw step.

Games 5 & 6 were relatively fun, but yeah, it feels like I outplayed my opponent in only one of the six games.

Thanks for help! Might record another draft in the future.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 am 

^ Deck went 5-3. It wasn't bad, it just felt decidedly average - although decidedly average still seemed very solid in the gold brackets. I was able to put together a full party surprisingly often, but most of the time the payoff would be Outrider. Not once did Linvala get a full party trigger.

It's possible I lost my last game because of an error. Tell me if you'd have done something different in the other thread.

I should've recorded my next draft because it was much more confusing. I P1P1'ed Attended Healer out of a bad pack, then P1P2 the Cleric artifact, thinking I'll draft BW clerics. Then I get passed a P1P4 blue Inscription (??), but after that I don't see much blue. Or black, for that matter, which is really bad since my first two picks are terrible in other archetypes. I had no solid choice for 2nd color until pack 3 when I get passed both the BW uncommon cleric and then the black inscription. Unfortunately enough these packs also contained good BW cleric cards, which I had to pass, and then I never saw any other payoffs. My deck's looking like it's short playables, which is saying something, since I usually have too many playables in ZNR. Oh well.

Like this post