It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 am 

Hit 7-2 with a Boros deck. First picked Aurelia, second picked the 2/2 first strike mentor, 3rd pick Boros Challenger, and never looked back. The end deck felt quite good, I had two Justice Strikes and a Goblin Banneret even tabled (!), but it might've been a bit lacking in power after my strongest cards. There were some scary moments, such as when my Boros opponent Cyclotronic Waved three of my X/1s, but I was able to recover. One opponent actually instantly conceded in response to my turn 4 Aurelia ... I did make mistakes though, including once when I played Aurelia post-combat for no reason. The 2 lost damage almost lost me the game but my opponent topdecked poorly and I made it.

@Cucho - curiously enough one of my lost games was to Gravitic Punch & Piston Fist. The following happened: I killed his first Piston Fist with Justice Strike. The second one I had drawn another Justice Strike for, but decided to Demotion and save the Justice Strike for a better creature (that never came ...). I didn't have much pressure unfortunately, and he had oodles of spells to keep triggering the Piston Fist. In the final turns of the game, he attacked with me at 12. I could chump with a 2/1 or save it and lethal him in two turns. I decided not to block, and he used Gravitic Punch to bring me to 4. Next turn, I hit him with two creatures and left a blocker behind. He jumpstarted Gravitic Punch, I cast Justice Strike in response, and he had Ionize to win.

Story aside, I don't know if it's a good card. It triggers your Piston Fists but they're not exactly very sturdy creatures: they're 4/3s and will often just trade down. The card gets better if you have pump spells (Sure Strike in particular), which you do have a copy of. However it's also a pure reach spell, and if your deck is going to win the late-game you don't need it. I would probably not run it in your deck, unless you adopted a more tempo-oriented approach and ran your Vedelken Mesmerists.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:11 am 

too late I got destroyed by two OP decks one Boros that was a bit faster than my deck and one Dimir with all... I mean all the cards it was brutal ended the run 3-2 :(
The second best 2 drop for the deck is the 0/4 wall that guy can hold your board while you develop... and Gravity punch... I dunno it seems just so awful but I might be underestimating it...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 am 

Super low to the ground Boris aggro 7-1
Most decks are not really prepared for such an aggressive strategy in this environment, only loss was against one Dimir deck that stabilized at 4 and I drew fewer spells than him from there on.
Most games ended T5 so I was really impressed with the deck so I thought I should post it

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 am 

How'd you hit 7-1? Your creatures get stymied so easily and no combat tricks to help push through as well - e.g. how are you going to get past a Thoughtbound Phantasm that has surveiled once? A Hitchclaw Recluse? A Ledev Guardian?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am 

Swarm the board and never look back... and I did have a couple of tricks Cosmotronic Wave is one hell of a card in this environment, Righteous Blow does the trick early game where this deck has the upper hand

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 pm 

All three of the cards mentioned dodge Righteous Blow though, and they all come down early as well. If you're chump-attacking as early as turn 3, hard to see how that will result in a win (unless you have Legion Warboss in play I guess).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:31 pm 

7-0 with this Dimir list:

1 x Thoughtbound Phantasm
2 x Dead Weight
1 x Dazzling Lights

1 x Burglar Rat
1 x Thought Erasure
1 x Dimir Spybug
1 x Passwall Adept

2 x Disinformation Campaign
2 x Darkblade Agent
1 x Whisper Agent
1 x Pitiless Gorgon
1 x Sinister Sabotage
1 x Notion Rain

1 x Devious Cover-Up
1 x Capture Sphere
1 x Artful Takedown
1 x Ritual of Soot

3 x Watcher in the Mist

9 x Island
8 x Swamp

Cards in sideboard not used: another Dazzling Lights, another Devious Cover-Up, 3 Vedalken Mesmerist, Mephitic Vapors, Douser of Lights

The deck felt really strong. I was a bit concerned that I'd lack win conditions, which is why I ran the Devious Cover-Up (to shuffle Watchers back into the deck) but none of the games ever got to that point. Ritual of Soot (my P1P1 too) is the card I'm most iffy about because most of my creatures are also 3 CMC or less; for the last game I replaced it with Mephitic Vapors, and it killed a Child of Knight + triggered the surveil. In the previous six games there was only one time when I used Ritual of Soot to clear the board against a Boros deck, it cleared part of my board as well but by that point I was winning anyway so it was just win-more. Disinformation Campaign was really good, together with the array of surveil cards it just forced my opponent to topdeck mode while I still usually had a full grip. I ran Pitiless Gorgon because I found Daggerback Basilisk to be reasonable in M19 draft, and because I needed creatures anyway - it was pretty mediocre this run especially since it needed two black mana. Darkblade Agent was also pretty meh. Maybe I should've run the other Dazzling Lights to provide instant-speed surveil. Passwall Adept was effectively just a 1/3 blocker; I never activated the ability.

One game I actually came pretty close to losing because opponent had Aurelia, but because my opponent wasn't conceding to an overwhelming board position, I was expecting a bomb of some kind and had a counter up. Rest of the games went very smoothly.

@Cucho this deck is why I'm surprised at your list. How do you intend to get through the early creatures and two Dead Weights? If this deck stumbles then yeah, but I had games against Boros decks where I didn't drop to single-digits, and there was even one game where the only damage I took was to my own Notion Rain. It's not like he didn't have a good curve either - his T2 Boros Challenger just ran up against my Passwall Adept, forcing him to use a combat trick on turn 3, and then on turn 4 I had Capture Sphere to neutralize the Boros Challenger (I should've neutralized the Rubblebelt Boar since I was holding Ritual of Soot), and then on turn 5 Whisper Agent traded with the Rubblebelt Boar. How you reached 7-1 with that deck, I don't understand :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:13 pm 

To be fair Banedon I was impressed too that's why I posted it, Games went very fast and Hawks here very important same as the Mentor kights, Sworn Companions, and Hazda Marshal Overruns blockers, once they stabilized I dropped The boar to pump my Flyers or the First Strike mentor guy to pump the weenies, Light of the Legion closed 2 games vs Selesnya and Golgari with big buts on the board.
The deck was extremely fast and if they managed to drop any big creature I attacked through the air... two Cosmotronic Waves can close more games than what you think, by the time I cast those I had at least ... 5 creatures on board so most defenses can't hold that amount of pressure.
2 dead weights don't come every day and they are IMO P1P1 material by a mile.
Average game went
T1
Haunted witness Hawk If I was lucky
T2
Knight or the 2/1 guy that flyes
T3
Another 2 drops and one trick/ mentor my weenie
T4
2 2 drops
and so on... most decks cast one spell per turn and that's where my deck shined most games I was topdecking T5-6 but by then Opponents life was at 6-7 and I just sit waiting for my Cosmotronic Wave or my Evasion dudes

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:20 am 

Ugh just had the most frustrating run ever.

Game 1: color screw drawing all mountains no plains.
Game 2: color screw drawing all plains no mountains.
Game 3: mulligan 2-land hand into 5 lands + 1 spell, draw 3 more lands in top 3 cards.
Game 4: opponent has Underrealm Lich + Izomi.
Game 5: mulligan 2-land hand into 4 lands + 2 spells, but only one creature, scry Maniacal Rage to the bottom for that reason, draw 3 more lands, in fact by the end of the game I'd drawn 11 lands in my top 17 cards with my 16-land deck.

My deck had six 2-drops and I didn't curve out even once. It was always 2-drop into 2-drop into more 2-drops wondering where my 3- and 4-drops went, or holding all my 4-drops wondering where the 2-drops went. It's a wonder I still went 4-3.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 am 

Well, 72o ain't that bad when the flop goes down 222 ;)

Why do you complain when you win despite bad circumstances? Apparently your opponents didn't fare better with their draws.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 am 

I take losing a lot harder than winning :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:16 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Piloted this to 7-2

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

Weird list ... five 1-drops with only three 2-drops (not running Ornery Goblin too, that's such a strong 2-drop), not to mention two 6-drops with 16 lands.

I won't pretend to understand deckbuilding :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

Vert:
How did the Gigant perform? Also, the Parhelion Patrol is kinda meh IME how do you evaluate him, at 4 CMC he is a bit slow for what Boros is trying to do I play him more often than not but he has underperformed for me.
EDIT: Ornery Goblin is main deck material in y book I for sure would have swap him for the second Patrol

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

Vert:
How did the Gigant perform? Also, the Parhelion Patrol is kinda meh IME how do you evaluate him, at 4 CMC he is a bit slow for what Boros is trying to do I play him more often than not but he has underperformed for me.
EDIT: Ornery Goblin is main deck material in y book I for sure would have swap him for the second Patrol

Giant performed okay. My strategy was to chip as early and as quickly as possible, which is why I loaded up on 1-drops, and then use one of my 3 finishers (Giant, Frenzy, Blaze to the face) to force the final damage.

All told, the Giant is probably questionable, but I never had too much trouble casting him. Getting ahead quick, especially with my removal suite, resulted in most decks needing to just sit back to prevent me from finishing them off, so he would routinely come down right around on curve to help finish the job.

I mean, we talk about 16 lands as though it's extremely land-light, but it's still 40% of the deck. That works out to about 24 lands in a 60 card deck. I'm not entirely reliant on the late game to end things, so if he's stuck in hand a turn or two, so be it.

I liked the Patrol, because fliers helped with board stalls, even if they were just chip damage. Ornery Goblin might have made the deck if I rebuilt, but it would've been for the Whelp, I think. Whelp was very underwhelming, costing 5 and only offering 3 points of ping.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm 

7-0... no comment :D
Except.. I should play more around this time.. Risk Factor was instrumental in 3 games of which I won 2 because the opponent made the wrong choice. I mean, when you have 7 life, 1 blocker and I have 4 potential attackers.. don't take the damage ;)
Never played Frenzy. Picked both for collection purposes but had to run them anyway due to a lack of Boros cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm 

Frenzy is a house in limited

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Sol77_bla wrote:

7-0... no comment :D
Except.. I should play more around this time.. Risk Factor was instrumental in 3 games of which I won 2 because the opponent made the wrong choice. I mean, when you have 7 life, 1 blocker and I have 4 potential attackers.. don't take the damage ;)
Never played Frenzy. Picked both for collection purposes but had to run them anyway due to a lack of Boros cards.

The Deny/Accept from Risk Factor is confusion. I made the wrong choice on accident last night and brought myself down to 2 and then about **** my pants waiting for them to lethal me with Shock which luckily didn't happen before I hit them for lethal.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament and NGA KOTH up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 am 

News flash:
Dimir is a good guild to draft.

https://www.channelfireball.com/article ... f-ravnica/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:49 am 

Does anyone else feel way more anxiety with draft because you're playing with gems, which are finite?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next