It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 am 

divinevert wrote:
Does anyone else feel way more anxiety with draft because you're playing with gems, which are finite?

Kind of, not because it's about gems but because the entry fee is enormous in contrast to that of a simple 500g event.

I've already critizised that durin closed beta. Going 0-3 to mana issues hurts a lot more when you've spent 10x the entry fee.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:20 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Sol77_bla wrote:
divinevert wrote:
Does anyone else feel way more anxiety with draft because you're playing with gems, which are finite?

Kind of, not because it's about gems but because the entry fee is enormous in contrast to that of a simple 500g event.

I've already critizised that durin closed beta. Going 0-3 to mana issues hurts a lot more when you've spent 10x the entry fee.

I mostly play competitive draft because the return rate is better, and that costs 1500 gems. But yeah, even losing 5k to a bad draft pool or mana issues or even just running into a God deck makes me a sad panda.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Last edited by divinevert on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:11 am 

I wish competitive draft where cheaper... I went 3-2 and it sucked coz I had a half decent deck.
And yes I pay more attention to my gameplay when I´m drafting... the higher the stakes the better I focus.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 am 

They should make 1st draft every week for free. Even if this meant scratching the 3 free packs.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

Auunj wrote:
They should make 1st draft every week for free. Even if this meant scratching the 3 free packs.

That's a good idea. It's also like a free swap for you get 3 boosters through Draft.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm 

Now I had a better Boros deck than yesterday and it went 2-3 due to losing twice to mana and once to a Dimir that was always a turn ahead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 pm 

I don't get you guys' Boros decks at all. Like, take Sol77's. It's got a crappy 1-drop (Torch Courier), three of the crappiest 2-drops (Tenth District Guard), and even Loxodon Restorer (I don't even consider this card playable in Boros). Color me baffled, I'll say.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:44 pm 

Banedon wrote:
I don't get you guys' Boros decks at all. Like, take Sol77's. It's got a crappy 1-drop (Torch Courier), three of the crappiest 2-drops (Tenth District Guard), and even Loxodon Restorer (I don't even consider this card playable in Boros). Color me baffled, I'll say.

He's got Frenzy. He wants to spew out creatures, so he shoved in damn near all the 1- and 2-drops he can, chips alittle, maybe burns with Risk Factor, gets super wide, draws a ton with Frenzy, uses Cosmotronic Wave to get through. The goal is to cast spells as cheap as possible, and it's easy to cheat out a cheap Restorer when you go super wide. Boros can get wide just like Selesnya can.

Frenzy makes the deck work.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm 

That's well and good, but what if you don't draw Frenzy?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 pm 

Banedon wrote:
That's well and good, but what if you don't draw Frenzy?

Then you hope to chip, then sit there and hope to draw into a game-ending Frenzy or Wave where you can one-shot them. You're obviously not going through defenders, so you have to go around them. Risk Factor + Healer Hawk could get an opponent in one-shot range easy enough. Sometimes they'll turn the corner, but the reach Wave gives you means that you're rarely completely out of the game. If he doesn't draw any of those 3 cards, well, then, he'll probably lose.

That's aggro for you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 am 

So I drafted a very nice defensive Dimir control deck that should have a great matchup vs. Boros, and then lost three games vs. Boros. RIP.

Game 1: I had the board stabilized but then drew too many lands while he drew spells. Fine, no salvaging this one.
Game 2: I had the board stabilized at 7 life, and had a Whispering Snitch out. I was completely winning and had a Sinister Sabotage in hand too. So I played Notion Rain to trigger my surveil synergies, dropped to 6, and then my opponent cast Inescapable Blaze. Ugh.
Game 3: I had the board stabilized and was still at a very high life total, so I figured I'll start attacking with my Watcher in the Mist because why not? Opponent had back-to-back removal spells that made my attack actively bad (he was able to swing with lifelinkers) and I dropped to 6 life. I switched modes and started playing safely. He didn't have Inescapable Blaze this time but he did draw lands for a while. I was still playing in safe mode and stopped attacking until I could beat a topdecked removal spell. Result - he draws Gravitic Punch, jump starts it and wins.

Oh well, I guess it's a learning experience.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:43 am 

divinevert wrote:
Banedon wrote:

He's got Frenzy. He wants to spew out creatures, so he shoved in damn near all the 1- and 2-drops he can, chips alittle, maybe burns with Risk Factor, gets super wide, draws a ton with Frenzy, uses Cosmotronic Wave to get through. The goal is to cast spells as cheap as possible, and it's easy to cheat out a cheap Restorer when you go super wide. Boros can get wide just like Selesnya can.

Frenzy makes the deck work.

But I only drew the Frenzy in one game and didn't have to play it. The basic idea is an alpha strike through Cosmo Wave. Before that, yes, try and take a few points of life when you can so you don't need to swing for 20. However, like I said, opponents weren't really good that evening.

Many cheap creatures are a good thing to have with Mentors and the Unicorn and then the Convoke elephant is no problem. I avoid other high cmc creatures so I can drop to 16 mana.

And regarding quality of creatures: Well, I captured the remaining red and white cards on purpose for there were none. Pack 1 was between Boros and Dimir (quel surprise) after getting the Sprite/Distasteful combo late. I had to actively pick those creatures to get playables later in the Draft.

edit, addition:
Game report of the one that ended my 2-3 run yesterday vs Dimir:
I started the game with 2 Cosmo Waves in hand, but no action until t3 (Shuffler didn't really like me, got many one-colored starting hands).
So with my board being Wojek Bodyguard and 2 1/1 Lifelinkers I didn't want to attack into his board, then I played Hammer Dropper to kill him 2 turns after that through both Cosmo Waves. He removed Hammer Dropper. So I hold back the Cosmo Waves again and play the 2/2 Flying Haste to bring him a bit lower, again lethal 2 turns from there. But then he had Mephitic Vapors and that was pretty much it.

edit2: Forgot to brag about the pick 4 Doom Whisperer in the second pack yesterday :angel:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm 

And here's a 7-1 Selesnya for a change :)

I attribute the only loss to mana (again, sorry).

edit: And after browsing through my Rares, that shall be it for GRN Draft. I'm maxed on too many Rares, so DOM will make more sense tomorrow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:23 pm 

I had a whole GW deck built around Divine Visitation.

Went 3-3, drew 20 cards each match, never saw it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 am 

Finished 7-2 with a Boros deck splashing green for Trostani. Of course it had Aurelia and Loxodon too :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 am 

gg I scrimped and saved to draft GRN, went 2-3 after starting with Dimir, rare drafting Aurelia + Deafening Clarion, and was short a few cards at the end. Oh and I also drafted Kraul Harpooner thinking I was green for some reason. I wound up splashing it and it killed a Healer's Hawk + the other games I simply never drew it (so it was never stuck in my hand), but still. I was color constrained out of one game.

I've not been playing well recently. It's not just with draft, I'm failing at constructed as well (haven't reached 7 wins in quick constructed for a while), not to mention other games I play. Anyone have any tips for how to recover :(

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:02 am 

I've noticed that drafting Grixis is really disappointing lately. No spybugs, no Agents. On the other hand I get much better results with Boros+x compared to last GRN draft.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am 

Banedon wrote:
gg I scrimped and saved to draft GRN, went 2-3 after starting with Dimir, rare drafting Aurelia + Deafening Clarion, and was short a few cards at the end. Oh and I also drafted Kraul Harpooner thinking I was green for some reason. I wound up splashing it and it killed a Healer's Hawk + the other games I simply never drew it (so it was never stuck in my hand), but still. I was color constrained out of one game.

I've not been playing well recently. It's not just with draft, I'm failing at constructed as well (haven't reached 7 wins in quick constructed for a while), not to mention other games I play. Anyone have any tips for how to recover :(

Maybe it's time for a new Constructed deck. Have a look at Devilwusters thread for White Weenies, there's a Boros list in it that's pretty successful these days. It just folds to RDW like every deck I tend to play :D And I know you're not much better off with mono blue.
Could play some Singleton this weekend, too. I just made a new Selesnya and a new Golgari deck for that.

I haven't played GRN Draft since before the DOM Draft, but if the bots are higher on Dimir now, it should be even easier to pull off some good Boros/Selesnya aggro decks like those I posted back then. Also, Guildgates are a blessing (not in aggro though). I have missed them a lot in DOM. Kind of unfair they're in the 2-color set and not in the 3-color set.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:13 pm 

Yaaay, finally a 7-0. Boros aggro :-)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 am 

Two GRN draft questions:

1. How good are guildgates if you have no synergies (like Guild Summit)? Are they a solid playable, or mediocre playable?
2. Is it worth playing a bomb if it means you also have to play a bad card? My latest draft for example includes Aurelia & Venerated Loxodon, but I'm also playing Veiled Shade and Severed Strands with nothing to sacrifice.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next